Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s the most logical conclusion. Whenever people start to get at him his PR team strikes, trying to shift the blame for his shit performances and lack of effort. Happened under Ole, Jose and Rangnick. His PR is unrivalled, it’s unbelievable people still actually fall for it.
This is spectacularly dumb and not in any way logical.

Game over for ETH. Ah well, it was a good 1 season we had with him, never thought it would end so soon!

The club need to stick by him, we cannot allow these scum to throw another manager under the bus

That’s their problem now, there’s so many players out injured or signed by Ten Hag that could even be his favourites that it shines a light on who’s left.
I’m guessing they wanted hand jobs and steak dinners all round for their performances this season. Imo they haven’t been criticised enough
We still have a good few prima donna's at the club. Paid way above their station and have too much of a high opinion of themselves. Ole said as much. These fecks get paid way too much for what they do. Inflated ego's all over the place.

feck me. You've lost 75% on the games so far and played shit in the other games.. why are you surprised that the manager isn't saying that you've done fantastic unreservedly. He's even been nicer than they deserve in public..

If people stopped reading and sharing these hack articles, they wouldn't write so many of them

If people stopped reading and sharing these hack articles, they wouldn't write so many of them

100%. Amnesia has set in again.

This happens everytime United go through a bad run. Deflect from the players, focus on the manager.

All through the form of vague statements and gutter journalism via players on the fringes.

EtH shares part of the current issue, but so do the players. This shit helps no one.

We’ve all seen it before. Bury your heads in the sand all you want. Only ever ends one way from here.
We're 6 games into the season, after just winning a trophy and finishing 3rd. We go on a run now and this will be a distant memory we all laugh about.

This is spectacularly dumb and not in any way logical.
Literally any time he’s playing badly reports hit about tactics. You’re clueless if you think he doesn’t have a ridiculously strong PR team. Look at the image he’s created for himself, there’s always an excuse for him. Obviously he’s not leaked the favourites line as that wouldn’t make sense, but there’ll defo be feelers going out about tactics and how it’s affecting players, it’s happened to literally every manager he’s played under, why not this one?

I think he adapted well last year to make us a winning team, without the players that suited his personal style of football. That alone makes him a good coach, in my eyes.
Well this is why I said he made us a better team because he got better players. Mainly Casemiro and Eriksen replacing McFred, and Martinez replacing Maguire - no doubt about those 3 being huge upgrade. But in the end he just reverted back to what we've used for years, meaning deep backline, 4231, quite direct play through Bruno to Rashford. Not sure if there are "good coaching" points for that.

I can see clear progress in how we are playing this season, especially in the last few games vs the first. He is missing his starting CB, CM and RW, I think we are going to continue looking good going forward, and stabilise defensively in midfield and defence, he just needs some time.
I don't see it. The first game was simply wrong setup by ETH, he left Casemiro exposed against Wolves runners from midfield. The good bits this season is when we played our "bread and butter" direct football, I don't see much ETH impact here.

Once Amrabat and Mount are back we will see how ETH actually wants us to set up and how effective that is. From what I've seen we are very dysfunctional team with Mount taking Eriksen place, that setup looks completely off to me but I believe we should get it a few games.

He feels a lot like LVG to me, never his fault, always the players. He had no charisma either and I have wondered myself how these comments, coupled with his treatment of some players and the failing tactics, will go down with the players. I'm sure it has crossed their minds that they're being hung out to dry a bit. But I also suspect this is why he's surrounded himself with his players, to prevent unrest and protect his position.

I agree with all of this. I think the fans and club got a bit over excited with ETH and, when you look a bit closer, there were potential red flags already.

With regards to your last point, last season I reached the point where I was questioning the tactics against what we were told by his fans that he would be. Numerous times I asked Ajax fans and others to try to help me understand his plans and how it was conducive to the type of football we thought he'd bring. Nobody could give me an answer other than 'we're clearly trying to be a possession team but just need more players'. Ajax fans said things about him that made me question our direction even more, said he's stubborn, some said many Ajax fans were actually glad to see the back of him in some ways.

Personally I think he's over confident and simply believes that his tactics will win the game if followed perfectly. But it gives no leeway for coming up against a team who also have a good plan. In reality it feels like many managers have his number, it's just whether their players can carry out the plan. Even the smaller teams. He just either can't recognise this or genuinely believes any failure was just down to our players not following the plan like finely tuned robots. But there are obvious problems with his tactics even to us supporters.

You and the poster you are quoting raise good points. In fact, even his record in terms of the results was good but not as great as it is often implied:

- got Go Ahead Eagles promoted but they were close to promotion for many years before

- got Utrecht to 4th and 5th but they were 5th before he joined and are consistently 6th-7th after he left

- no notable achievements at Bayern II but I guess difficult to judge

- with Ajax winning domestic leagues/cups is not that indicative (De Boer did it many times in a row). The one CL run is great no question but he was not able to repeat it in the other 3 seasons, neither in CL nor EL. At the same time just before he came Ajax with Bosz made EL final. But to be fair to him he made Ajax make group stages of CL consistently at least (which they could not do before). Ajax became worse after he left - but as far as I understand there were also personnel changes above.

So for most part he outperformed somewhat but not by much - and his CL run is the only really notable achievement of his. Again, not to say that he is not a good manager but he was and is often treated here as an anlalog of a definite “world-class potential wonderkid” manager (which he is most likely not). It is no wonder that we did not have too much competition for him.

I would say that it is likely that he is neither savior nor fraud and all of the following is true:

1. EtH is a good/very good coach maybe top 20-30 globally.

2. However when compared to top half PL & CL- level clubs of other top leagues he is more like average and his tactical/selection deficiencies show especially in a more competitive league.

3. Had United had a better footballing structure he would have been able to get good results, stable top-4 regular non-major trophies, occasional top trophy maybe consistently.

4. But given that he is not the top, top manager who could cover the deficiencies on footballing side (like Fergie could) we will likely stagnate/decline under him sooner than later like under other managers (partly due to our bad footballing structure partly due to him not being a top manager)

Notice that 1-4 could be applied to LVG and Jose as well :)

5. Only way to the top consistently is proper footballing stucture above the manager which leads to the club hiring someone who is a top manager or can grow into it. Even if we magically had the best manager in the world this would just lead to maybe good 3-4 seasons at the top - and we cannot be always having the best manager around.

At the same time regarding EtH one has to consider mitigating circumstances, and one cannot exclude the scenario that we improve massively over this season. He has enough excuses with injuries etc for now. I do not believe it personally but it is possible and I will be very happy if it happens of course. But if we are 6-7th with no good cup runs and not playing well at the end of the season - no matter how many excuses you could invent then EtH is definitely a LVG/Jose/Ole level manager for us at most.

It is not results with him, it is performances. Ok I am no tactics expert but for the vast majority of EtH games they do not pass eye test at all. And there has been no noticeable improvement. I keep reading that his plan is seen and we need better execution better players etc etc - but honestly I just expected our play to be a lot better than that more than a year after he took charge - even given injuries etc. Again happy to be proven wrong and to see us playing better and better football over the remainder of the season

Last edited:
Literally any time he’s playing badly reports hit about tactics. You’re clueless if you think he doesn’t have a ridiculously strong PR team. Look at the image he’s created for himself, there’s always an excuse for him. Obviously he’s not leaked the favourites line as that wouldn’t make sense, but there’ll defo be feelers going out about tactics and how it’s affecting players, it’s happened to literally every manager he’s played under, why not this one?
Oh leaking that stuff about favourites would make lots of sense. It shifts the blame away from him as we see, and it might even be true if he is indeed a good mate of Sancho and maybe shares his feelings about the team selection?

I don't really expect Rashford to be the one, but it is a possibility.

The club need to stick by him, we cannot allow these scum to throw another manager under the bus
Agreed. The club need to set the tone moving forward that player power is dead at United. Until the culture at the club changes we're going nowhere.

If this club allows these fecking snakes to throw another manager under the bus then I think I’m done. Especially the best one we’ve had in fecking years. What needs to happen is these rotten apples have to be told in no uncertain terms that ETH is here for the long haul and anyone trying to undermine him will never kick a ball for the club again and will be moved on at the first opportunity. I’d say let them rot in the reserves until the transfer windows opens but that would be unfair on the kids.

Hopefully they have learnt from Jose after he was actually right with what he said.

They have backed the manager vs players until now, I can't see it changing just because a few of them are fed up of being told they are playing shit when they are playing shit.

I really hope that Murtough and Arnold back ETH on this. Gut the entire damn squad. Do what Arsenal let Arteta do and ship them all out. Fed up of these players.

Oh leaking that stuff about favourites would make lots of sense. It shifts the blame away from him as we see, and it might even be true if he is indeed a good mate of Sancho and maybe shares his feelings about the team selection?

I don't really expect Rashford to be the one, but it is a possibility.

There's only a very few number of players who are still here who were here before when we had leak problems. He is one and probably one of the only ones who is actually playing to be given any criticism. For example Shaw is injured, Maguire isn't playing.

Although I personally think the leak about tactical positions is from McT. Over the two games without Antony he is the only one that was asked to do something different (vs Brighton). Maybe its McT who is the leaker and he just exposed himself.

I really hope that Murtough and Arnold back ETH on this. Gut the entire damn squad. Do what Arsenal let Arteta do and ship them all out. Fed up of these players.

I think they will. They have backed the manager in every manager vs player scenario until now, I don't see it changing. It would be a huge mistake not to, especially after the comments of Jose, Ralph and Ole I can't believe the club would be that thick. In fact, Ole's interview may well have done EtH a favour in that regard.

Last edited:
Groundhog day.
Hold your horses. It isn't looking good but this could all be BS. United is perceived as in crisis. There is no better environment for journalists to generate clicks. If this sends rival fans in frenzy, fine, but lets not do the same on here.

Maguire or Sancho has to be the one leaking this in my opinion.
AWB and Shaw has been playing non stop since world cup. Mount has just come. Rashford is one of his favourites. Dont think non British players would have such access to leak in British media

There's only a very few number of players who are still here who were here before when we had leak problems. He is one and probably one of the only ones who is actually playing to be given any criticism. For example Shaw is injured, Maguire isn't playing.
False assumption. Doesn't have to be the same player all along. Bad behavious seen in the past also might spill to players who haven't done it before in times of pressure.

False assumption. Doesn't have to be the same player all along. Bad behavious seen in the past also might spill to players who haven't done it before in times of pressure.
Well then we have a bigger problem than we first thought.

Maguire or Sancho has to be the one leaking this in my opinion.
AWB and Shaw has been playing non stop since world cup. Mount has just come. Rashford is one of his favourites. Dont think non British players would have such access to leak in British media
Even if it were true, I doubt it's either of them because the article mentions the player is unhappy with the tactical role they play, neither Maguire or Sancho even play. Rashford doesn't press or track back so it would most likely be coming from his camp, especially considering how he's been torn apart by the media due to his lazy performance against Bayern and his pretty abysmal start to the season. He's also a common denominator under Mourinho, Solskjaer, Rangnick and ten Hag, all of whom suffered from leaks. I mean, he's even mentioned directly in the article:
After the Bayern loss, Ten Hag criticised the ease with which Leroy Sane bypassed Marcus Rashford before scoring the opening goal

Status
Not open for further replies.