Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Malacia was a good buy for his price and Wout was an emergency signing with just a few days to work under and a 2m budget.

Mount was pursued by Tuchel at Bayern. Bit of an own goal there.

Honestly mate try harder on the criticisms.
Malacia was not a good buy for his price, and Wout was the result of prioritizing other signings over a striker.

Tuchel might not last the season. That's the point.

Honestly mate try harder with defending the cult.

Malacia was not a good buy for his price, and Wout was the result of prioritizing other signings over a striker.

Tuchel might not last the season. That's the point.

Honestly mate try harder with defending the cult.
Malacia was a good LB cover purchase. Youl struggle to find much better for the same price.

Ten hag had many holes to fix in his first summer, weird how you want to blame him for previous window failures.

And bayern still pursued Mount on the beheast of Tuchel.

Do better, you're being too obvious in your blind hate. You're making constant nonsensical points.

I’m undecided. I want it to work out for him and ultimately if he does get sacked we will be on the same cycle we’ve been on for the last 10 years. Players are letting him down but he does pick those players - why bring on McTominay when Hannibal showed the desire in just the previous game? If Pellestri was playing poorly as he was last night then why make the Garnacho change and Rashford to the right so late?

The recruitment is also a worry. I understand why he went for players he knows - he’s seen managers being thrown under the bus before so this ensures that they won’t turn on him plus our recruitment and scouting is diabolical so no doubt he can’t trust them to make a correct decision however this means it’s all on him when it goes wrong. The club is so badly run k think any manager would struggle with this

I'd rather be on this cycle we've been repeating for 10 years rather than a cycle Liverpool had been repeating for 20 years, or one that Benfica has been repeating for 50 years.

Malacia was a good LB cover purchase. Youl struggle to find much better for the same price.
Just because he was cheap doesn't make him good. Estupinian moved for literally the same price. I dont actually have a problem with him, its just one example of a convenient Eredivisie signing because of the manager's preference.

Bayern make plenty of dud signings, the difference is they also make some good ones (and it helps that the whole German football system is seemingly designed to funnel the best players to them).

The Mount signing is one I'm not enthralled with at all but I'll give him more than a couple of games for us to change my mind.

We seem to be regressing and Im not sure why.
Either way I want ETH to succeed but if the next few games we lose to Burnley or Palace then his job becomes less safe IMO

Mhmm. It's our fault we listened to the manager too much and backed him in the transfer market.

Can you imagine Bayern's response, when ETH asks them to bring him Antony, Malacia, Mount, Wout?
Last time I checked Murtough is ETH boss, not his lackey. fecking amazing you blame manager for club making shit deal. Then what is recruiting department for? Moping the floors at Carrington eh?

Malacia and Wout :lol: ? Woa they costed United 17mil, Glazers are going to bankrupt anytime now.
Jaysus Christ

I don't have a toxic relationship with anyone in the club. In fact I often laugh at some of our gaffes. I just disagree with posts like yours. I don't believe that making the manager immune from criticism on a forum is reasonable.
"Criticisms" like above post huh?
Everyone knows United is laughing stock in transfer market, its dated back to Woodward's days but now It's ETH's fault. Right

Blame his tactics and shit, not some bullshit that he doesn't have full control.
Even when transfer business is partly his fault, Murtough should take the blame more than anyone. Chasing De Jong whole summer without an alternative to offer.
This whole United's "transfer strategy" require manager's target to be a hit 80% of the time for it to work.
It's a dinosaur approach to modern football. Louis van Gaal failed, Mourinho failed, Ole failed with the same approach. Do people really think that a fair criticism to any manager?

Last edited:
Really?

I see it more people are either behind the manager and call out players, whilst others just seem to think a constant manager merry go round is the answer.

The problem with get 'behind the manager' is it's a rhetoric that absolves the manager of responsibility which is basically saying he's immune to criticism. It's also contributed to why the mediocrity at United is staunch compared to other clubs who can successfully transition from one coach to another.

It's totally understandable to downplay perspectives that the manager should be sacked, it's too early to come to such a judgement and it's an extremist view at this current moment in time. But this idea that the team performing as poorly as it has leniency on the managers influence and is solely on the players it's unacceptable.

The reality when observing things objectively is there are undoubtedly existential external issues regarding the club, but is that enough of a reason to pacify this team looking disjointed tactically which was witnessed the first game of the season before the injury crisis and players becoming unavailable.

The way I see it the dependency for injured players to return and change the fortunes (many of whom are making their debuts) is build on hope more than it is evidence.

Bayern make plenty of dud signings, the difference is they also make some good ones (and it helps that the whole German football system is seemingly designed to funnel the best players to them).
Can we please finally forget about this? It was true years ago that Bayern focused on German players, but if you look at recent years it is much more diverse. They sign actually very few German players now.

Last time I checked Murtough is ETH boss, not his lackey. fecking amazing you blame manager for club making shit deal. Then what is recruiting department for? Moping the floors at Carrington eh?

Malacia and Wout :lol: ? Woa they costed United 17mil, Glazers are going to bankrupt anytime now.
Jaysus Christ
I agree, our club structure is a joke.

Feels like ETH is the one who requires a good structure than RDZ though.

Can we please finally forget about this? It was true years ago that Bayern focused on German players, but if you look at recent years it is much more diverse. They sign actually very few German players now.
Yeah I'm just being mean. Though, being so dominant domestically does just make it easier to pull in players.

"Criticisms" like above post huh?
Everyone knows United is laughing stock in transfer market, its dated back to Woodward's days but now It's ETH's fault. Right

Blame his tactics and shit, not some bullshit that he doesn't have full control.
Even when transfer business is partly his fault, Murtough should take the blame more than anyone. Chasing De Jong whole summer without an alternative to offer.
This whole United's "transfer strategy" require manager's target to be a hit 80% of the time for it to work.
It's a dinosaur approach to modern football. Louis van Gaal failed, Mourinho failed, Ole failed with the same approach. Do people really think that a fair criticism to any manager?
I've never been Arteta's biggest fan, but I have to admit he knows what he's doing. His project started about three years ago and lets be honest, Arsenals structure isn't anything to write home about either. Difference is the manager knows exactly what he wants and what he needs. He doesn't even need to be super lucky in the market like Klopp with Salah/Mane. And their rate certainly isn't anywhere near 80%.

I have seen a few different sources reporting that the club has lined up Arne Slot to replace Erik, if this is true then there is clearly more going on behind the scenes than we are aware off.

I have seen a few different sources reporting that the club has lined up Arne Slot to replace Erik, if this is true then there is clearly more going on behind the scenes than we are aware off.
Doing a lot of work in this sentence!

6 games into the season, terrible injury list Antony and Sancho with off field issues(forget Greenwood) not to mention the whole sale process and the manager is trying to implement a playing style we've all been calling for for years.

I like ETH, but he's not above criticism, some of his decisions have been baffling but we need to cut him some slack.i genuinely believe he has a plan, some of the posters on here who know more about tactics than I do are pointing out progress we just have to be patient and see where we are once the injury situation eases.

I must admit I fear for him if things don't pick up in the next 5 or 6 games though the pressure will be unbelievable.

Last edited:
If he intends to use Garnacho as a sub to Rashford, he needs to start bringing him on earlier and give Garnacho and Hojlund some 20-25 mins to play together.

I agree, our club structure is a joke.

Feels like ETH is the one who requires a good structure than RDZ though.
It's pointless comparision since Brighton had played good football before De Zerbi time, they wouldn't suddenly forget how to spring 3 passes together after he arrived. Same goes for United, he wouldn't be able to make Rashford to be less selfish.
But right. That we can agree to disagree.

Just because he was cheap doesn't make him good. Estupinian moved for literally the same price. I dont actually have a problem with him, its just one example of a convenient Eredivisie signing because of the manager's preference.
Transfers are judged on bang for buck. As far as back-up LBs go he was a good buy.

You pointing out signings from the tail end doesnt make him a bad signing.

I've never been Arteta's biggest fan, but I have to admit he knows what he's doing. His project started about three years ago and lets be honest, Arsenals structure isn't anything to write home about either. Difference is the manager knows exactly what he wants and what he needs. He doesn't even need to be super lucky in the market like Klopp with Salah/Mane. And their rate certainly isn't anywhere near 80%.
Arsenal's structure has changed significantly since Arteta took over and it's certainly miles ahead of ours.

It's late and I can't go into it too much as I need some sleep. But the tactical issues were adjustments that weren't made. They had an out ball to Laimer open all game, it was a similar issue with our shape as against Brighton. Anther issue was runners not being picked up as the space between fullback and CB was too open. We had the usual issue of a non existent midfield on defensive situations. He said before the game that we could look to keep possession, but I saw the usual direct approach again, when I didn't think bayern were so good that we couldn't have took more control over the game as you should in Europe. They actually dealt with the long make better than when we worked the ball around in spells.

I also think he could have used subs better, and like you said, perhaps a more compact approach would have been better anyway since its our toughest group fixture away and we're in such poor form. We looked OK by keeping it compact in defensive situations against Arsenal only a week ago, the same tactics probably would have kept them at bay and reduced space for both runners in behind and the likes of Musiala, which were two things that hurt us throughout the game.

I am stunned he didn't do this. Most obvious thing to do. I have been backing ETH so far but I am extremely disappointed in his response to Brighton.

Also on your point about Laimer.

6 games into the season, terrible injury list Antony and Sancho with off field issues(forget Greenwood) not to mention the whole sale process and the manager is trying to implement a playing style we've all been calling for for years.

I like ETH, but he's not above criticism, some of his decisions have been baffling but we need to cut him some slack.i genuinely believe he has a plan, some of the posters on here who know more about tactics than I do are pointing out progress we just have to be patient and see where we are once the injury situation eases.

I must admit I fear for him if things don't pick up in the next 5 or 6 games though the pressure will be unbelievable.
Yes some posters argue there is a plan. But with our own eyes we see teams cutting through at will, typically when we lose the ball in the opposition half and seem to have no shape to cope. That is on the manager and no amount of 'progress' hides the appaling start to teh season or the amounts of goals conceded. The club should have shown the likes of McT and Maguier the door then locked it behind them, keeping them is a disaster. McT know looks like someone with no interest, as often and more worryingly does Rashford. Meanwhile Bruno is just a liability. Its such a mess I cant see him turning it around, though I would love to be proved wrong

Is there anyone in the Eredivisie we haven't been linked with?

Didn't he unceremoniously shoot down Spurs and renew with Feyenoord? Why would he come here? Besides, I don't see much difference between him and De Zerbi - they will fail the same way, that is.

Yes some posters argue there is a plan. But with our own eyes we see teams cutting through at will, typically when we lose the ball in the opposition half and seem to have no shape to cope. That is on the manager and no amount of 'progress' hides the appaling start to teh season or the amounts of goals conceded. The club should have shown the likes of McT and Maguier the door then locked it behind them, keeping them is a disaster. McT know looks like someone with no interest, as often and more worryingly does Rashford. Meanwhile Bruno is just a liability. Its such a mess I cant see him turning it around, though I would love to be proved wrong
Yeah your right, I'm not pretending to be blind to it but i can't honestly remember such a shit show with injuries and off field issues in the 40 years I've been following Utd.

I just think a little more patience is required from us fans but I understand and share the frustration and anger seeing our club in such a mess.

I don't think anyone in this forum would disagree that glazers suck and they have be absolutely incompetent. However, as with the previous managers, that alone shouldn't be an excuse for the poor on field performance and the managers deserve slack for that. The way I see it is, irrespective of how good/bad the owners/management is, unless you have a top coach, we aren't going to be competitive.

As with our previous managers, I personally believe that ETH is not a good coach and will not succeed even if we have a well oiled recruitment/planning team. When he is sacked, he will struggle getting a job at a big club.

I am stunned he didn't do this. Most obvious thing to do. I have been backing ETH so far but I am extremely disappointed in his response to Brighton.

Also on your point about Laimer.

This isn’t our issue at all. We have a few issues but the most obvious one is the lack of an organised press. Teams win the ball back against us in non threatening areas but then get given acres to run into and suddenly they’re in a much more concerning area and we’ve lost about 40 yards in a few seconds. Our midfield is any dribblers dream, old, slow and disjointed.

Last night we were much better until Eriksen tired i will say.

Reports where? I googled it and was directed to a bunch of nothing articles put out by the likes of Football365 and TEAMTalk. These well known clickbait merchants themselves seem to be referencing a site called 1908.nl, which from what I can tell seems to be a Feyenoord news site run by fans. If you search on the site for the actual article that's being referenced, it's actually an opinion piece from the editor who is basically having a tantrum about the fact Ten Hag gets more praise in Dutch media than Slot does. There's absolutely no source claiming United are interested in Slot, it's just some random Dutch fella saying he thinks Slot would do a better job than EtH, and rambling in about budgets to stick the boot in. This is a Feyenoord fan, of course he thinks that!

The moral of the story, don't believe everything you read online.

Mhmm. It's our fault we listened to the manager too much and backed him in the transfer market.

Can you imagine Bayern's response, when ETH asks them to bring him Antony, Malacia, Mount, Wout?
Antony for 80+m and insistence in signing Mount would have definitely made a sane club call FIFA to test ten Hag for drugs.

I agree that the signs are not good for ETH. After more than 1 year and 400M spent he has no style of play at all. I think he will be another long list of failed manager post SAF. A good manager like Klopp able to make his team play in a certain style of play from day one. Klopp early days in Liverpool was not consistent but they played with good attacking football.

Having said that we need the people upstairs especially Murtough to go too. We need someone experience who has been there and done that with good track records to revamp out structure. Not someone learning on the job.

I think we all agree that the team set-up is wrong. Almost 90% in the forum accept that.
That would mean 90% of the forum would be dimwits. How can you evaluate a setup which isn't really in place. You have acknowledged the late arrival of some players, of the disciplinary issues, of the injuries, right?

You can criticize the execution, because this is what we know isn't working and for some points, I'd agree with you but I think you are oversimplifying the issue.

The easiest option is Change how we play. I may not be 1% a football manager like ETH but I can give him a very simple solution. Yes now it's a bit too late, too risky, too much on the edge but give a chance to change our tide. I would

1. Drop Bruno, put Mount as a 10.
2. Integrate Amrabat as a DPM.
3. Let Casemiro be box to box midfielder.
Solid idea. Only issue is, Mount is injured and new to the team. Same with Amrabat who did not play even a single minute for the club or in the league. And finally play our only defensively sound midfielder who looks like running on his last legs as the box to box guy. Rock solid plan. A DLP, a 10 and Casemiro to cover all the room.

I don't have a toxic relationship with anyone in the club. In fact I often laugh at some of our gaffes. I just disagree with posts like yours. I don't believe that making the manager immune from criticism on a forum is reasonable.
Congrats. So you are like 99% of fans around here. Criticize him all you want, the issue comes when he gets criticized for stuff we have no clue about.

Yeah your right, I'm not pretending to be blind to it but i can't honestly remember such a shit show with injuries and off field issues in the 40 years I've been following Utd.

I seem to remember van Gaal having to play an unbelievably atrocious back 4 at one point, almost laughably bad. It maybe wasn’t a numerically similar injury crisis I’m sure but it was all concentrated in one area, which doesn’t help.

Although Utd were unbalanced I did notice that every player who started yesterday was a full international, the majority for major footballing nations, and playing in their correct position.

But yeah, even with that it’s still a bizarrely long list.

How teams line up when they have the ball, essentially the "possession formation"

Thanks! I did think that, then was trying to envisage what a 3-1-6 would actually look like, and had a brain haemorrhage.

Thanks! I did think that, then was trying to envisage what a 3-1-6 would actually look like, and had a brain haemorrhage.
Give youtube channels like AJ Analysis, Football is simple, Tifo IR-L (take the "-" away when searching, no idea but the forum isn't allowing the abbreviation) a visit. They make interesting content and explain the little intricacies that surround thinks like formations these days. Obviously they are only interpreting so you'll never hear the definitive truth but it gives a good impression.

Edit: there are many other ones. But avoid Statman Dave ^^ He'll sell you everything

How can you evaluate a setup which isn't really in place?

Solid idea. Only issue is, Mount is injured and new to the team. Same with Amrabat who did not play even a single minute for the club or in the league. And finally play our only defensively sound midfielder who looks like running on his last legs as the box to box guy. Rock solid plan. A DLP, a 10 and Casemiro to cover all the room.
(Bolded)
Some of the YouTube channels you suggested have stated that it is in place in part (442 done a really good video on this against Brighton), its just the players aren't doing their part in it.

If you've seen/heard EtH's recent comments on how the new signings fit he has the plan to play Amrabaat at 6, Case at 8 and Bruno/Mount at 10. Seeing how Case played last night further forward it may just work, with Amrabaat being the sweeper/destroyer, Case as a DLP or midfield transitions, and then Bruno as the Creative engine.

I'm not sure if it'll work, but after Ole's recent interview I'm more inclined to back EtH for this season at least, it took Arteta & Klopp 3 seasons to sort out their clubs with a better hierarchy above them, ours is terrible so I do believe Erik deserves time to work with what he's got and to try to implement what his peers have been able to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.