Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s too early in the season for bed wetting. We didn’t harbour any realistic ambitions of winning the title this year. A Cup maybe, hopefully, that’s the expectation.

It’ll take a minute for the new system to bed in. Players to hit form etc. Let’s see where we are after ten games.

We weren't getting Caicedo or Kane. That's 200m+. We already spoke in detail about Kim.

Not everyone gets everything they want in 1-2 windows. It was his plan to get Mount, Hojlund, Onana in. Pretty much the whole starting 11 is his now. He has to perform.

He has to get them on the pitch first for a good number of games.

I've questioned some of the transfers but any manager needs his best players on the pitch before full judgement.

Couldn't be more obvious that the wheels are going to come off this season and we'll probably finish 6th/7th. I hope he survives it and gets a chance to build a proper team under better owners.

It’s too early in the season for bed wetting. We didn’t harbour any realistic ambitions of winning the title this year. A Cup maybe, hopefully, that’s the expectation.

It’ll take a minute for the new system to bed in. Players to hit form etc. Let’s see where we are after ten games.
They're not kids, they've had all preseason to learn a new system and follow it, and they've been doing that the last 2 games. The problem is the players are being outfought, outrun, and outsmarted by basic tactical changes from the opposition. They're making stupid decisions and then giving up when the team doesn't work together.

You don't need 10 games to see it.

Just saw an interesting stat. Points from first 40 Premier League games in charge

Guardiola - 82
Ten Hag - 78
Klopp - 71
Arteta - 63

Not signing Mount and forcing Maguire out equal the Rice fee. Tonali was not 100m and MacAllister was 40m. So many options but ETH got it wrong again.

How did you intend to force him out? Hold his wife and children hostage and not release them until he's signed with another club?

ETH has been quite explicit that he's not in his plans and is down the pecking order. Clubs like West ham want him and for whatever reason maguire see's himself above that.

He’s not perfect and he’s not immune to criticism at all. He’s got things wrong, clearly.

However it’s pretty fecking clear (if it wasn’t already after LVG, Jose and Ole) that it’s the structure of the club that blunts any significant and lasting progress here.

Even the most talented of managers is gonna get it wrong in the market from time to time if he’s the main man identifying targets. The best managers these days all seem to have high level support in transfer strategy. We don’t.

We’re now a club that, despite all of our commercial might, is hamstrung by FFP because of the donuts who own the club and individuals who acted with impunity for years.

But then it’s consistently falling on the managers. This guy is just as good as your de zerbis (who probably would be fan favourite to replace him if he was to be sacked). He’s produced as good if not better football than his counterpart at a club structured similarly to Brighton, but much bigger.

He deserves a chance at this club once it starts taking itself seriously, which might not come but we continue to pray that the Glazets get out of here.

i hope to see him replace mount with another midfielder who can play how mount was trying to in his system, instead of just shoehorning someone more veteran in. If he feels hannibal can play the mount role better than someone like eriksen/mctominay, so be it. Make the big decision instead of just reverting back to old systems.

He is showing signs of weaknesses and cluelessness. Beginning of the end for me, same with the previous managers. A big hole and he will disappear from there. It will be his final season if the stubborn one does not adapt. He still has not realised that this is not the Eredivisie

Bullshit stat.

Jose - (first 40 in the PL) 101
Jose - (first 40 for United) 75
Conte - 96
Ancelotti - 90
Pellegrini - 92
Its a comparison of his current rival and his predecessor no one is saying it's the all time best. Its just to give perspective on were we are now in the team development. The next step is very important.

Bullshit stat.

Jose - (first 40 in the PL) 101
Jose - (first 40 for United) 75
Conte - 96
Ancelotti - 90
Pellegrini - 92

Everyone of those you mentioned apart from Jose at Utd won the league in their first 40 games no?

It shows that those (such as yourself) panicking already are being completely reactionary.

Its a comparison of his current rival and his predecessor no one is saying it's the all time best. Its just to give perspective on were we are now in the team development. The next step is very important.
It doesn't mean anything. Past performance is not an indication of future performance.

Everyone of those you mentioned apart from Jose at Utd won the league in their first 40 games no?

It shows that those (such as yourself) panicking already are being completely reactionary.
And why is that? Are we definitely going to get 90 points this year or does that stat mean absolutely nothing in regards to the season?

I can't stop you from being negative. Go on.
I'm not even being negative. You can't post a stat about the point tally over the first 40 games in charge like it means we'll absolutely get more this season.

If I told you I made £10k in the stock market last year would you presume I would definitely make more this year? There's so many variables at play here that the stats don't even make sense.

damn man the negativity in here is crazy. I was one doubting him last year at the end, yet he got us thru the end with that shit group of players we had to finish with. His one big midfielder signing the tightass leeches allowed him to get is unfortunately injured, and our one CF purchase has also had bad luck. If our players stop missing wide open shit from 6 yards out or would stop making dumb af decisions in the game we wouldve put a couple past spurs in that last game before going down and eventually losing. That wasn't on EtH, but the supposed "stars" of the team. Im willing to give it a little time before i start calling for him to get sacked after a whopping two games.

What is really going to cost him is the poorly run organization. How we havent sold any of our major outgoings that we needed to dump is crazy. Pretty much Fred is our major notable departure, and was for peanuts.

I'm not even being negative. You can't post a stat about the point tally over the first 40 games in charge like it means we'll absolutely get more this season.

If I told you I made £10k in the stock market last year would you presume I would definitely make more this year? There's so many variables at play here that the stats don't even make sense.
Nothing is certain and the point wasn't to say he'll definitely go on to win the league. It just something for all the doom mongers to put into perspective were we are as a team at the moment. The way this place has been since wolves you'll think its game 36 and we're on the brink of relegation.

And why is that? Are we definitely going to get 90 points this year or does that stat mean absolutely nothing in regards to the season?

It means that the first step we have taken lines up pretty well with the only 2 managers to have won the Premier League in the last 6 years and the one who got closest last year.

If you could look at a stat and tell what a teams points total will be without doubt them I wouldn't be wasting my time talking to you, I'd be down the betting shop.

Your abrasive tone is really not needed either.

Nothing is certain and the point wasn't to say he'll definitely go on to win the league. It just something for all the doom mongers to put into perspective were we are as a team at the moment. The way this place has been since wolves you'll think its game 36 and we're on the brink of relegation.
No one's unhappy because of the last 2 games of football. If you genuinely believe that's what has set people off then I'd suggest going back to the second half of last season and reading what people were talking about from that point up until now.

Literally one of the most important things you look at when choosing a broker would be their historic track record of making their clients money.

No one's unhappy because of the last 2 games of football. If you genuinely believe that's what has set people off then I'd suggest going back to the second half of last season and reading what people were talking about from that point up until now.
Not true this place was celebrating after we completed our third signing. The issue I don't like about pessimism is that it can only produce negative results, I'll rather the atmosphere be we've just started a new season and can get things right. Rather than assuming the worst because that's the mindset I'll rather the players and coaching crew carry. That's actual mental resilience in the face of difficulty.

It means that the first step we have taken lines up pretty well with the only 2 managers to have won the Premier League in the last 6 years and the one who got closest last year.

If you could look at a stat and tell what a teams points total will be without doubt them I wouldn't be wasting my time talking to you, I'd be down the betting shop.

Your abrasive tone is really not needed either.
:lol: Abrasive tone, you can read tone through text can you? Come on...

Do you genuinely believe we're in line to replicate the current PL managers that have won the league in the next season or so? Or is this just massive doses of copeium?

As I said previously, the stat doesn't mean anything. He could have 100 points from the first 40 games, narrowly lost the league to City, and he can still get fired for 4 or 5 heavy losses on the bounce, what then? We carry the points over to the next manager?

Come on, I get that people are hoping to find some kind of positive in the sea of negativity that hit us in the last week or so, which we have been carrying over from last season, but points totals over the first 40 games when there are too many variables to quantify the data is just pointless.

Literally one of the most important things you look at when choosing a broker would be their historic track record of making their clients money.
And yet they all have this disclaimer:

"Past performance is no guarantee of future results" is generally treated as a warning label: Don't assume an investment will continue to do well in the future simply because it's done well in the past.

Yup! that's where we differ...

In the last few months I see a manager securing a 3rd position finish, losing a FA Cup final (to a team that has won the league 3 years in a row and eventual treble winner) having probably too many air miles during pre season and winning 1 out of 2 at the start of the season.
We really do differ, I've seen this team not being able to avoid losing against a decent team away from home. I've seen a manager give faith and trust to players who have never really deserved it for way too long.
The result vs Wolves was a miracle, they properly battered us and nothing justifies such a lack of prep from the team.

This is going to be a really difficult season. We are fecked top to bottom. I won’t be surprised if he chooses to leave.

No wonder the fecking team and managers start to unravel when you have negativity in here after two bloody games some of you lot are spoilt beyond belief two feckin games in and the seasons been written off and the negativity is back asbsolute madness wish you lot would feck off and start supporting man city

:lol: Abrasive tone, you can read tone through text can you? Come on...

Do you genuinely believe we're in line to replicate the current PL managers that have won the league in the next season or so? Or is this just massive doses of copeium?

As I said previously, the stat doesn't mean anything. He could have 100 points from the first 40 games, narrowly lost the league to City, and he can still get fired for 4 or 5 heavy losses on the bounce, what then? We carry the points over to the next manager?

Come on, I get that people are hoping to find some kind of positive in the sea of negativity that hit us in the last week or so, which we have been carrying over from last season, but points totals over the first 40 games when there are too many variables to quantify the data is just pointless.

Yes you can read the tone in people's writing. Such as starting sentences with "bullshit" and being sarcastic.

Can we go on and challenge for the league? Possibly yes.

As I've said, it doesn't give you any definites. You seem to have a strange wish to argue against something that one has said.

What it does do is offer added context for how Ten Hag has performed so far.

I don't need to look far for a positive. I believe Ten Hag is a very good manager and in a month's time this there will be quite a few of us laughing a little at those who panicked after the first 2 matches.

Not true this place was celebrating after we completed our third signing. The issue I don't like about pessimism is that it can only produce negative results, I'll rather the atmosphere be we've just started a new season and can get things right. Rather than assuming the worst because that's the mindset I'll rather the players and coaching crew carry. That's actual mental resilience in the face of difficulty.
I disagree, the Mount thread was only positive when it looked like the deal had fell through. Onana is a great signing and will do well. Hojlund has the weight of the entire world on his shoulders now so people are hoping he can do something but no one's expecting anything crazy from him. From what I've seen, there has been optimism around potential signings and now disappointment around the fact we haven't actually improved the squad outside the GK.

You can call it pessimism but I think quite a few people are being realistic about our chances this year, and no one around here has the ability to affect a result with their mindset. Speaking of which, the players have only come from behind to win once while Ten Hag has been the manager, they clearly don't have the mental resilience you're trying to credit them with.

And yet they all have this disclaimer:

"Past performance is no guarantee of future results" is generally treated as a warning label: Don't assume an investment will continue to do well in the future simply because it's done well in the past.

Yet it's one of the key factors that any intelligent person will assess when choosing someone to handle their finances.

Why are we learning a new system in the second season though? Yes he may have had to make do first season, but we have largely the same squad. Sounds ludicrous making them learn a new system after just one season.

Yes you can read the tone in people's writing. Such as starting sentences with "bullshit" and being sarcastic.

Can we go on and challenge for the league? Possibly yes.

As I've said, it doesn't give you any definites. You seem to have a strange wish to argue against something that one has said.

What it does do is offer added context for how Ten Hag has performed so far.

I don't need to look far for a positive. I believe Ten Hag is a very good manager and in a month's time this there will be quite a few of us laughing a little at those who panicked after the first 2 matches.
Serious question, no intended 'tone': Have you seen anything from the end of last season (go back as far as you want), over the summer, to where we are now after the first two games to suggest we could challenge for the title this season?

I'm all for jumping on the bandwagon, I'm all in if we at least look like we're playing good football, the results will come but I can't see anything but the wheels coming off at some point before Christmas.

Ten Hag is a good manager but you can't say he's infallible and we have to trust him no matter what, he is rightly being questioned for some of the choices he is making and that's just the life at a massive football club. Blindly following a manager is how we keep getting ourselves into situations that take years to unwind. Saying you don't need to look for positives because you 'trust' the manager is a dangerous mindset.

Not sure he will ever shake the Antony transfer. Absolute awful piece of business that's put us back and absolutely fecked us on FFP.

Status
Not open for further replies.