Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the Casemiro defence was a bit weird and like he's not acknowledging a serious issue with the midfield. He doesn't have anyone to control tempo and progress in first phase or carry it either.

People may well laugh but if the injuries started to pile up, form was poor and ownership not sorted I could easily see him walking around xmas. I wouldn't blame him either because club is in such a structural mess.
Walking by Xmas ? The ownership issues hasn't been an issue to him and so it shouldn't matter to him at all.

He has been supported decently till now. Majority of them are his players now. He has to make them perform, as simple as that.

I think there are a number of players he’s made clear are not in his plans that he wants out which are still here and it is effecting his and the squad’s juju. Looked seriously peeved today. How the feck Donny, Eric fecking Bailly and Dean Henderson are still here 6 days before the window closes is just absurd.

Yeah he was really having to bite his tongue

All well and good but this was the Guardiola which struggled and scraped 4th place in his first season, not the one we see currently.
I wonder what the stat would be the last 40 games.
That's the whole point bro. Comparing the first 40 when they are getting used to the league and getting the players they want .

I think there are a number of players he’s made clear are not in his plans that he wants out which are still here and it is effecting his and the squad’s juju. Looked seriously peeved today. How the feck Donny, Eric fecking Bailly and Dean Henderson are still here 6 days before the window closes is just absurd.
yeah it is a bit ridiculous. I understand that we eventually had to take a stand and negotiate harder in the market to stop getting taken advantage of, but we def overplayed our hands a bit with the selling front this window. That 60 million double offer for mctominay/maguire wouldve really come in handy about now. That was the big miss for me. I understand not wanting to just give henderson away for free to forest, but even getting 10 million for him or whatever wouldve made a huge difference with FFP (im assuming that wouldve been the all profit nonsense that somehow allows a shitton of spending). Donny and bailly i get still being here if nobody will take them, as it seems like we are offering bailly for free pretty much and no idea what the market has been for donny. I can imagine EtH isnt too thrilled and can understand his frustration. Feel like we overall we negotiated well as buyers this window but completely fecked it up as sellers

I don't see how the presence of those three affect any of the issues we've got. They're barely even worth anything, so resale value isn't an issue.

Walking by Xmas ? The ownership issues hasn't been an issue to him and so it shouldn't matter to him at all.

He has been supported decently till now. Majority of them are his players now. He has to make them perform, as simple as that.

They are an issue when it stops him being able to fully invest in the players he wanted like Kim,Caicedo & Kane is my point

I'm not sure I agree. Whilst I respect Casemiro, his poor performances last season were a bit overlooked and he was riding on his initial impact. For me he looks like a player on his way out, similar to the Matic signing in many ways.

Malacia - not yet made an impact really. Shaw has been pretty safe since he arrived.

Eriksen - shoehorned into a position he's not suited to. Looks old and slow, but his quality is there. Already replaced.

Onana - too early to say.

Martinez - very good last season. Has looked very shaky so far this season.

Hojlund- jury still out. Huge fee for a very unproven player, who is now thrust into a position where a simply need him to deliver to a high level. Not fair on him but that's the position we've put him in.

Antony - Not made an impact really.

Mount - jury still out but regardless of his performances it has created an issue tactically. We may shoe horn him into a deeper position but then I'd wonder why we didn't sign a player suited to that position who has already been excelling there.

Weghorst - don't need to say much here. Only a loan thankfully.

Sabitzer - same as above. Constantly injured too.

"Hojlund - Jury still out" :lol: I should fecking hope so. He's not kicked a ball for us yet!

I would disregard the loan signings as they were pretty much the only options available in that particular market, and it's far too early to speak with certainty on any of the new signings.

Malacia and Eriksen should be assessed relatively to the price we paid. Eriksen was a free and Malacia was a 12m understudy. I don't think much more can be expected. Both are rightfully backups, and more than capable in those departments.

Casemiro was a totally transformative signing and a slow starter. Was that way at Madrid and even last season. He'll be fine.

I think ETH came here as a coach who's teams dominated games, with exciting football, high possession and waves of attacks. I think we all envisaged us playing this way in time following the dross oF Mourinho and the counter attacking of OLE.

The squad he inherrited didnt allow him to do this but my concern is his utd team, following 400million spend still now doesnt have a positive attacking intent to our play. We are still passive, slow and reactioniary, and rely on counter attacks and moments of magic. His two most important players are inconsistent and moody.

I like ETH, he was my overwhelming choice and he did very well last year. It wont however take long for the daggers to be out for him if we fall behind or continue to play poorly. The club needs a takeover, its needs a fresh impetus and ETH needs our support.

Yeah the Casemiro defence was a bit weird and like he's not acknowledging a serious issue with the midfield. He doesn't have anyone to control tempo and progress in first phase or carry it either.

People may well laugh but if the injuries started to pile up, form was poor and ownership not sorted I could see him walking around xmas. I wouldn't blame him either because club is in such a structural mess.

Personally I don't think its the tempo control, I think its more about the covering the player while in attack.

He was one man forward here:

Higher than mount:

Left side here:

Second half he was much better position wise.

So many daft posts on this page questioning him after gameweek 2. It's actually hilarious if you take it as a joke, worrying if posters are genuine.

I was going to respond properly to a few then thought what is the point, madness

I don't see how the presence of those three affect any of the issues we've got. They're barely even worth anything, so resale value isn't an issue.
You don’t see how the presence of established senior players who have no prospect of playing impacts the morale of the squad? Are you new to football? He clearly doesn’t want Maguire or Scott either. And we’re on year 9 of the Martial experiment.

They are an issue when it stops him being able to fully invest in the players he wanted like Kim,Caicedo & Kane is my point
We weren't getting Caicedo or Kane. That's 200m+. We already spoke in detail about Kim.

Not everyone gets everything they want in 1-2 windows. It was his plan to get Mount, Hojlund, Onana in. Pretty much the whole starting 11 is his now. He has to perform.

You couldn't be more wrong about what you said. His style is categorically not a possession one. If anything it's designed to be lethal on counter transitions as well, when we've just lost the ball. He relies on players being able to win back the ball to set up counters, and for that to happen everyone needs to know their pressing triggers. If he's saying the attack aren't doing it well, I believe him.

Also you might want to park hyperbole in calling him a rambling mad man after 2 fecking games in :lol:

Where did I say his style is a possession one?

A midfield of Casemiro (this twilight version) - Mount - Bruno would work if his style was possession based and he had possession based players in defence and attack. You could then trust the defence and attack to recycle possession effectively while the two #10s create havoc centrally.

Using that midfield trio for the purpose of being "lethal on counter transitions" is moronic. One doesn't have the legs anymore to play a high energy game like that. The other two aren't good enough defensively. It's a midfield that has easily been bypassed and will continue to do so because the player profiles are square pegs being asked to fit in round holes.

He has been here for 63 games, not 2. And spent 430m along the way in case you were unaware.

I'm not calling for his head am I ? Is it too much to ask not to be dicked around at home vs Wolves ? Is it too much to hope for a much better performance ?

Beauty of football/sport...if United won 3-0 every game it would get very dull :)

Never accused you of asking for his sacking either...but I'm not sure your question is serious.

It's also worth noting that this raises another important question. Can you ever win the league with players like Rashford and Bruno? I'm inclined to say no, particularly so with the latter. Sick and tired of us never trying to just control the match.

Yeah it's very concerning he doesn't seem to value a possession based brand of football. This style like you say is a bit too chaotic to ever fully sustain a title challenge

The opposition is still too good to win the league. They’ve been well run for years and drilled playing a certain style. If we come second this year that will be good progress. Keep adding pieces and slowly build, we can’t turn around in two seasons and suppass city who’ve been beating us in every dynamic post Fergie. They’ve also beaten us to every single good and sensible signing we could have made to bridge the gap.

The one thing I’m not sure about is spending those kinds of transfer sums and wages on the likes of Casemiro and Varane as this is the season they could start to markedly drop off. If we do make those signings to steady the ship then we also should also always be looking to put one of the best young players in the world in the squad behind him snapping at his heels for minutes as soon as the performance intensity or fitness starts to drop. We don’t have anyone and we can’t ever seem to get a handle on it. It’s very shallow and short term team building but at the same time I do accept the team needed leaders and competitors instead of flash.

Paul Pogba play exactly in similar style to club and country, but France NT recognized his weakness and made adjustment. It's the same at club level with Juve that played for Pogba's strength as midfielder, and recognized his weakness.

Anyway, main point is, the "analysis" that Bruno can't play for possession based team is false, because it's been proven that he can. And he's one of their best player, not just a shoe in.

I think the Bruno debate is pointless anyways as it's all speculation essentially as to whether he COULD play for a team like City in a similar system that's winning everything. But the bigger issue is what you said: instead of going out and surrounding our best creative player with others that mask his main weaknesses (ball security, running with the ball, positional discipline), we bought a player that offers more of the same that's a bit better dribbling wise but worse creatively. Bruno is unique in that he has genuine BITW level traits with his ability to create and final third passing, but it's coupled with low levels in other parts of his game that have to be accounted for when building a midfield around him.

Things are looking so bad now in terms of fit players. Time for EtH to show his managerial prowess in this period of adversity.

Ramblings of a madman. Defence and attack can't make up for the midfield trio consisting of two #10s. You need possession based monsters all across the pitch to make a setup like that work.

Also if the reason for being open was defence and attack, why on earth was he unchanged for that game? We got battered at home by a relegation fodder, what made him think going unchanged away at top 6 was a good idea?
Only his big brain knows.

He showed it last year by finishing 3rd with Wout Weghorst as an important cog in his team.

That was "that" period of adversity. :DI want to see the 3rd game recovery from last season repeat itself.

If you play with two advanced midfielders, your attackers must be the first line of defence. I don't know how you can then play a player who isn't interested when he doesn't have the ball (Rashford) up front.
In the last two games, Mount has led the press, that's crazy.

Beauty of football/sport...if United won 3-0 every game it would get very dull :)

Never accused you of asking for his sacking either...but I'm not sure your question is serious.
It is about enjoying the performance for me before the result. If SAF used to be criticized years ago after having won so much, there is no ETH will escape it if it's justified

It is about enjoying the performance for me before the result. If SAF used to be criticized years ago after having won so much, there is no ETH will escape it if it's justified

True, everyone should receive fair constructive criticism.

But my point was after 2 games the reaction has been utterly ridiculous. So in my opinion the criticism is unfair.

If you play with two advanced midfielders, your attackers must be the first line of defence. I don't know how you can then play a player who isn't interested when he doesn't have the ball (Rashford) up front.
In the last two games, Mount has led the press, that's crazy.
But then this has to come back to the manager. It's well known Rashford doesn't press well. If you want him in the team so much that you offer him a new contract making him the highest paid player at the club, then you have to plan around his deficiencies. There's no point blaming Rashford for this.

Personally , I have been saying it since during Ole's time that as good as Bruno and Rashford are, we will never be a title winning team with them as key players, a view shared by many regular followers of Utd. But if the manager views as them as essential then surely you plan around them, you can't decide you will play this system and ask the player to do something he seems incapable of doing.

Ignoring the context around those games. The fact he's wasted 400 million pounds in transfers, his refusal to rotate last season, the stubborness to stick to bad tactical choices like Weghorst at 10 until finally relenting, the terrible preparation this pre-season and the piss poor system he's implemented that has made all but the most hipster of football hipsters scratch thir heads. But no, it's just kneejerking apparently. The signs of cracks appearing happened after the league cup win, but you fanboys are wilfully blind to it all.

He's wasted it? So you don't like Martinez, Casemiro, Onana?

Ramblings of a madman. Defence and attack can't make up for the midfield trio consisting of two #10s. You need possession based monsters all across the pitch to make a setup like that work.

Also if the reason for being open was defence and attack, why on earth was he unchanged for that game? We got battered at home by a relegation fodder, what made him think going unchanged away at top 6 was a good idea?
He's introducing a new style of play, the fact it doesn't click in the first game doesn't mandate tearing up the entire plan in the second game, or even the 3rd, 4th, or 5th. Learning new styles don't always land properly with a team straight away.

Whatever it is he's trying to implement, I'm pretty sure those performances were not it. The closest would probably have been the first half at Spurs, which he alluded to.
And he mentioned today that after the 35th minute, they stopped doing the things they were supposed to do. He's obviously not asking Bruno and Casemiro to bypass the entire midfield spamming hopeful long balls out to Rashford as that craziness only began after.

Where did I say his style is a possession one?

A midfield of Casemiro (this twilight version) - Mount - Bruno would work if his style was possession based and he had possession based players in defence and attack. You could then trust the defence and attack to recycle possession effectively while the two #10s create havoc centrally.

Using that midfield trio for the purpose of being "lethal on counter transitions" is moronic. One doesn't have the legs anymore to play a high energy game like that. The other two aren't good enough defensively. It's a midfield that has easily been bypassed and will continue to do so because the player profiles are square pegs being asked to fit in round holes.

He has been here for 63 games, not 2. And spent 430m along the way in case you were unaware.
What qualifications/experience do you have of managing top clubs.
61 of those games resulted in a third place finish, a cup win and a cup loss to the best side in Europe.

Since then we’ve 60m on Mount
52 on Onana and another 60 to 72m on Hojilund. Two of them have played 2 games and one was injured. Yes he spent money to get third. Yes he’s spent more money to just stand still/hopefully improve. This is the PL, Chelsea, City, Pool, Arsenal have also spent bucket loads to improve their squad. This narrative that he is suddenly a manager that needs to listen to the fans on tactics because he’s spent money and had a few bad performances is silly.
Maybe If he doesn’t make it, someone on the forum could get the job? We could all vote or something

So if we signed rice who were you signing to play up front and GK, given that the fee would have taken up the majority of our budget.
Not signing Mount and forcing Maguire out equal the Rice fee. Tonali was not 100m and MacAllister was 40m. So many options but ETH got it wrong again.

True, everyone should receive fair constructive criticism.

But my point was after 2 games the reaction has been utterly ridiculous. So in my opinion the criticism is unfair.
I would agree with that if the criticism is solely based on 2 games whereas I think it's a continuation of the end of last season (well the away form) plus the very underwhelming preseason.

I would agree with that if the criticism is solely based on 2 games whereas I think it's a continuation of the end of last season (well the away form) plus the very underwhelming preseason.

Yup! that's where we differ...

In the last few months I see a manager securing a 3rd position finish, losing a FA Cup final (to a team that has won the league 3 years in a row and eventual treble winner) having probably too many air miles during pre season and winning 1 out of 2 at the start of the season.

Bruno excelled with Portugal NT who is more possession based and definitely not pure counter attacking team.

It was a silly "analysis" video.

That's a good point. It's also worth keeping in mind that the players are not playing the same system as last season and will take time to learn it. Rashford's pressing effort levels are a concern but Bruno's aren't. He will likely get more comfortable with repetition.

I think it's possible that many people are misinterpreting what EtH meant be "front and the back". In response to the question about midfield.

What if the issue is that the defence (back) aren't squeezing up and holding a higher line?

What if the issue is that the attack (front) isn't pressing very well collectively or holding up the ball well?

Both of these things can make the spaces in midfield seem massive. Both of these things can leave the midfield taking the blame.

Could it be that EtH knows better than the umpteenth cafite moaning about the midfield?

Yup! that's where we differ...

In the last few months I see a manager securing a 3rd position finish, losing a FA Cup final (to a team that has won the league 3 years in a row and eventual treble winner) having probably too many air miles during pre season and winning 1 out of 2 at the start of the season.

Yeah that's the problem when you are so obsessed with being a commercial club,means that you often play far too many games in pre season which has hurt us

Status
Not open for further replies.