Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else think he won’t last the season here? I think we will struggle and the players will do what they did before and down tools.
I like ETH and think he’s our best manager post SAF, but he will be judged on results and purchases, rather than a league cup. I’m not seeing any improvement since we won the cup and were fortunate to finish top 4 given how poor other were.
I think a lot of it depends on the sale. If / when it happens, the new owners will probably want their own CEO in place, who will probably want a new DOF (and new football operations people), who may in turn want a new manager.

The stat is bullshit regardless of Ole being in it or not. Him being in it is just the icing on the cake. It ignores a lot of context for pretty much every single person on it. For example, Klopp and Arteta came midway in season while the season was already ruined and didn't get a chance to have a transfer market before getting their jobs, unlike Ten Hag and Pep Guardiola.

Klopp got 76 in his first full season in charge in England after his first transfer market, but most of these aren't included in your "stat", it's the games he spent trying to steady the ship after getting the job midway in season with no market that are included here (yet he's only less than Ten Hag in your great stat by 6 points, by the way).

It's not an achievement for Ten Hag that he got more points in such period than Klopp and Arteta. It's just a desperate stat to try and prove things are improving despite the fact he hasn't done anything more than the previous managers United hired.

For the record, Van Gaal got 76 points in his first 40 games with United and Mourinho got 75 points, only 2 and 3 points respectively less than what Ten Hag achieved.

Edit : Actually, even if we want to include Ole in this, does these 40 games include his 18 games with Cardiff ? Or it's just his United games ? Because that would be half of it, for God's sake.

Nah, it's bullshit no matter how much I think about it.

What you're doing is questioning the importance of the stat, not it's truth, you're just continuing to confirm that ten Hag indeed has the second best points total after 40 games of all current PL managers. I'm glad you can be so magnanimous and confirm that not only was your statement that the stat was 'bullshit' in error but it also in fact extends to Ole's 2 immediate predecessors as United manager.

What you're doing is questioning the importance of the stat, not it's truth, you're just continuing to confirm that ten Hag indeed has the second best points total after 40 games of all current PL managers. I'm glad you can be so magnanimous and confirm that not only was your statement that the stat was 'bullshit' in error but it also in fact extends to Ole's 2 immediate predecessors as United manager.

Did you even read the post ?

I think its fair to say the guy's had no luck since he arrived.

The injuries we've now got only two games in. Bet he can't believe it.

Anyone else think he won’t last the season here? I think we will struggle and the players will do what they did before and down tools.
I like ETH and think he’s our best manager post SAF, but he will be judged on results and purchases, rather than a league cup. I’m not seeing any improvement since we won the cup and were fortunate to finish top 4 given how poor other were.
I will be very surprised if he is our manager next season, unless Höjlund has a fantastic season. We have 1 goal in two games and gave away two easy goals against Spurs. Very reminiscent of last season. Lack of goals up front and limited CM protection. Should have bought a proper CM such as Rice or Tonali instead of Mount.

Your patience is amazing. Almost as amazing as his insistence on doubling down when his nonsense gets called out. Truly Trumpian.

Struggle to get a result Saturday, we then have Arsenal and then Brighton, the pressure could be on after the next 3 league games.

Did you even read the post ?

Yes, this is the post you quoted, highlighting is yours

What, by winning a cup, finishing third and having the 2nd best first 40 games amongst current PL managers? Quite literally only Pep had a better first 40 games.......and that's by three mere points or so. Oh yeah, his own doing.

You said

People actually believed that stats despite it being nonsense ? As we said, Mourinho got 95 points in his first 38 games in PL and isn't even in that bullshit BBC stat.

The stat (having the second best first 40 games amongst current PL managers) is correct, hence not nonsense nor bullshit.

You're trying to say the statistic is meaningless, that is your opinion to which you're entitled (I disagree), but the stat is still true.

Yes, this is the post you quoted, highlighting is yours

You said

The stat (having the second best first 40 games amongst current PL managers) is correct, hence not nonsense nor bullshit.

You're trying to say the statistic is meaningless, that is your opinion to which you're entitled (I disagree), but the stat is still true.

When are you going to realize this isn't a stat ? These aren't even the first 40 games in Ole's PL record as they axed his record pre United, otherwise he would have been below Arteta with 52 points.

This is BBC comparing Ten Hag's record with the top 3 managers in the league and the United manager he succeeded. That's about it. They axed everything else for whatever reason.

Hence why it's bullshit. You can't build anything based on this because it's randomly chosen set of managers. Who knows what else they missed.

Very very unfortunate for ETH. Two of his new players are injured. Plus Shaw's injury now and Malacia is also injured, has some absolute duds in the squad that he cannot use like Maguire, Henderson, can't even drop Antony as Amad is also injured. Probably his last season. We are a managers graveyard before they move and rise up at other clubs.

He is a very good coach but has absolute duds playing for him. Some of them he brought himself. Casemiro, Eriksen within one season are looking jaded and done with football. We haven't played decently since Feb of this year. Poor start and no momentum and soon the international break will come after the Arsenal loss so more negative news in the media. He is done for.

I will be very surprised if he is our manager next season, unless Höjlund has a fantastic season. We have 1 goal in two games and gave away two easy goals against Spurs. Very reminiscent of last season. Lack of goals up front and limited CM protection. Should have bought a proper CM such as Rice or Tonali instead of Mount.

So if we signed rice who were you signing to play up front and GK, given that the fee would have taken up the majority of our budget.

Very very unfortunate for ETH. Two of his new players are injured. Plus Shaw's injury now and Malacia is also injured, has some absolute duds in the squad that he cannot use like Maguire, Henderson, can't even drop Antony as Amad is also injured. Probably his last season. We are a managers graveyard before they move and rise up at other clubs.

He is a very good coach but has absolute duds playing for him. Some of them he brought himself. Casemiro, Eriksen within one season are looking jaded and done with football. We haven't played decently since Feb of this year. Poor start and no momentum and soon the international break will come after the Arsenal loss so more negative news in the media. He is done for.
Who has gone on to rise up after coming to United as manager? You're literally making shit up, because no one has.

Bruno excelled with Portugal NT which is more possession based and definitely not pure counter attacking team. One of Portugal's best player in last World Cup.

It was another silly video "analysis".

Not a good example. International football can differ wildly especially for midfielders because most teams don't have the type of structured pressing/ drilled in defensive aggression that club teams will. Case in point being Paul Pogba.

Pretty hilarious how the tide has turned against him in terms of support. After only two games. One of which, we won. Pathetic stuff.
Ignoring the context around those games. The fact he's wasted 400 million pounds in transfers, his refusal to rotate last season, the stubborness to stick to bad tactical choices like Weghorst at 10 until finally relenting, the terrible preparation this pre-season and the piss poor system he's implemented that has made all but the most hipster of football hipsters scratch thir heads. But no, it's just kneejerking apparently. The signs of cracks appearing happened after the league cup win, but you fanboys are wilfully blind to it all.

But no, it's just kneejerking apparently
Erm, yes. Of course it's kneejerking. He is given far too much responsibility when it comes to transfers. A competently run club would have a network in place and not be solely limited to whoever was in our manager's mind. Ten Hag was hugely restricted in terms of January targets. Yet he still managed to win a trophy and finish in the top three. Piss poor system he has implemented? Again, based on what? 2 games? Really embarrassing stuff.

Pretty hilarious how the tide has turned against him in terms of support. After only two games. One of which, we won. Pathetic stuff.

I don't really think "the tide has turned". Almost every fan still backs him, but there's rightly some annoyance as well. Look at the facts:

- We broke records to sign a RW that might be one of the worst in the league, at Ten Hag's insistence despite many "online fans" being able to tell you Antony wasn't worth half of that and many Ajax fans noting he hadn't really evolved as a player since signing with them.
- His primary target this summer (after Kane was a no go) was an attacking midfielder coming off a crocked poor season that didn't have a natural fit in our starting XI. Despite this, we chose to switch systems from what was quite successful last season to fit Mount in and so far have been thoroughly outplayed by both Wolves and the second half of Spurs. It's not encouraging when two games in we are all sat around wondering what midfielder we could sign to bring better balance.
- We came off a monstrous pre-season schedule and now look slower and less fit than our opponents, as well as being generally less well drilled/organized than you'd hope from a team that is used to playing with each other.
- We chose not to target a Casemiro deputy/partner when everyone and their mother could tell you it was a vital need, as well as continuing to hold onto McTominay through interest from other clubs. Now we are stuck with the thought of having to play either him or Eriksen next to Casemiro against Arsenal at the Emirates. And God help us if Case actually gets hurt too.

Biggest of all is the fact that we simply don't look any more improved than last year, and that will alarm some fans. Obviously it's super early and things can change, but when we are sat around wondering when Hojlund/Amad/Mainoo might return to breathe some life into the side it's not a great sign considering all 3 have had about 4 total seasons of senior football between them.

He isn’t entirely blameless in our current situation. He has spent an enormous amount of money on some not very good players.

I don't really think "the tide has turned". Almost every fan still backs him, but there's rightly some annoyance as well. Look at the facts:

- We broke records to sign a RW that might be one of the worst in the league, at Ten Hag's insistence despite many "online fans" being able to tell you Antony wasn't worth half of that and many Ajax fans noting he hadn't really evolved as a player since signing with them.
- His primary target this summer (after Kane was a no go) was an attacking midfielder coming off a crocked poor season that didn't have a natural fit in our starting XI. Despite this, we chose to switch systems from what was quite successful last season to fit Mount in and so far have been thoroughly outplayed by both Wolves and the second half of Spurs. It's not encouraging when two games in we are all sat around wondering what midfielder we could sign to bring better balance.
- We came off a monstrous pre-season schedule and now look slower and less fit than our opponents, as well as being generally less well drilled/organized than you'd hope from a team that is used to playing with each other.
- We chose not to target a Casemiro deputy/partner when everyone and their mother could tell you it was a vital need, as well as continuing to hold onto McTominay through interest from other clubs. Now we are stuck with the thought of having to play either him or Eriksen next to Casemiro against Arsenal at the Emirates. And God help us if Case actually gets hurt too.

Biggest of all is the fact that we simply don't look any more improved than last year, and that will alarm some fans. Obviously it's super early and things can change, but when we are sat around wondering when Hojlund/Amad/Mainoo might return to breathe some life into the side it's not a great sign considering all 3 have had about 4 total seasons of senior football between them.
Yep, this sums it all up pretty well. The only slight mitigation is that he's obviously dealing with a recruitment/footballing exec system still incoherent enough that he seems to be almost single-handedly determining our targets (whilst not able to move on players who by any metric aren't suited to the sort of football we've set out to play, regardless of whether it's more 'transition' or possession-focused) . The midfield is the starkest reflection of this. Definitely still causing himself more issues than he needs though.

Not a good example. International football can differ wildly especially for midfielders because most teams don't have the type of structured pressing/ drilled in defensive aggression that club teams will. Case in point being Paul Pogba.
Paul Pogba play exactly in similar style to club and country, but France NT recognized his weakness and made adjustment. It's the same at club level with Juve that played for Pogba's strength as midfielder, and recognized his weakness.

Anyway, main point is, the "analysis" that Bruno can't play for possession based team is false, because it's been proven that he can. And he's one of their best player, not just a shoe in.

The Ole/Rangnick saga scarred me, I'm genuinely terrified it could be a repeat, and trying to convince myself it won't be.

Ignoring the context around those games. The fact he's wasted 400 million pounds in transfers, his refusal to rotate last season, the stubborness to stick to bad tactical choices like Weghorst at 10 until finally relenting, the terrible preparation this pre-season and the piss poor system he's implemented that has made all but the most hipster of football hipsters scratch thir heads. But no, it's just kneejerking apparently. The signs of cracks appearing happened after the league cup win, but you fanboys are wilfully blind to it all.
Great post

Why is nobody trying to save him from himself? A competent structure wouldn't give the manager sole responsibility for transfers.

Yeah not having a competent structure around him and garbage owners could see a shorter reign than many of us expected

One of those two players was signed injured. Some would say the most important one.

But what the feck do you mean our managers rise up at other clubs? Moyes battling relegation in Spain and England. LVG retired from club football. Jose failing at Spurs and plodding along at EL level with Roma. Ole hasn't had a fecking sniff of interest from anywhere. Rangnick out of the club game for good as well.

If or when ETH gets sacked this season it will be on him for being myopic and unambitious about his own targets, and ignorant about the demands of the Prem. But even more at fault is the club for once again giving a manager carte blanche to sign who they want. Maybe the only exception was Casemiro, which will turn out to be another dreadful opportunistic club signing in all but the shortest of terms.

I think he should go

We all know how this second season is going to go. Sorry but Mason Mount won't change much to the outcome

Last edited:
I'm surprised how quickly so many have turned on him. I don't think we should afford our managers as much as time as we did with LVG, Ole and Mourinho but this is too quick :lol:

Who has gone on to rise up after coming to United as manager? You're literally making shit up, because no one has.

Moyes has won a European trophy. So has Jose :D LvG managed the Netherlands. Ole will be back someday and still win. Of course managers rising up after leaving united was hyperbole but rest assured when ETH leaves united, he will be winning stuff playing some proper football. United are a circus of a club.

Will the tide of public opinion shift if we end up thrashing Forest by 3 or 4 goals?

Or are Forest relegation fodder for some anyway?

I think ETH is the right man for us and if we get new owners in who are openly receptive not just to ETH but to the need for an organisational restructure (from the medical team to the scouting department), we might get somewhere.

While some of his decisions have been a bit baffling (his current midfield system being the biggest one ATM), I feel that no manager will succeed to the level expected until your ownership is sorted, one way or another. It must be nigh impossible for ETH to properly plan or feel secure in what he's trying to do with that huge cloud of uncertainty.

Will the tide of public opinion shift if we end up thrashing Forest by 3 or 4 goals?

I think ETH is the right man for us and if we get new owners in who are openly receptive not just to ETH but to the need for an organisational restructure (from the medical team to the scouting department), we might get somewhere.

Public opinion will depend on whether he keeps us on course as being a convincing top four club who can compete for trophies.

Same as all our other managers, if CL qualification becomes impossible he has to go. Though if it comes to that Murtough has to get turfed before ETH.

It is very easy to score 3 or 4 goals in a forest. Trees everywhere.

What is this tide of public opinion? Red cafés prominent moaners? We’ve started poorly but I think in general our fans were happy with his first season and are on wait and watch more for this one as it should be.

Back the manager! Since Fergie he has been our best manager in general. Most importantly is the mentality he brings and demands. I think we can squeak into the intl break with a couple of wins and then hopefully we'll get some players back and kick on the season. Yes we can beat the arse.

Just get the best in class football people to run the club. Is Richard Arnold the best in class? Can we do better than him? If the answer is Yes then lets start getting things right at the top before we look at the manager because shit rolls downhill.

I also understand the American rats still own the club and are unwilling to invest in it so there's that other depressing thing.

The teams movement against Wolves was dreadful. There's only so many times you can play short to Shaw or Martinez, before realising that we aren't getting anywhere because nobody is making a run.

Being sceptical is ok, but it's very early days. Whatever he attempted last season largely worked. I remain hopeful that this season follows suit.

One of the things that really pissed me off was the lack of movement by anybody in the second half vs wolves. Players walking to meet the ball, quick pass to the side, no players ahead making runs, or any sort of movement to receive the ball. pathetic.

One of the things that really pissed me off was the lack of movement by anybody in the second half vs wolves. Players walking to meet the ball, quick pass to the side, no players ahead making runs, or any sort of movement to receive the ball. pathetic.
You can't get anywhere with that lack of desire or urgency. It's been symptomatic of our play for years.

You can't get anywhere with that lack of desire or urgency. It's been symptomatic of our play for years.
It has. Periodically, we saw it in the fergie teams, but since then, it's been a flustercluck. Naturally, the players also have to take the blame. I don't know what the solution is, as my mind is mashed with annoyance, mostly because of the wolves game..it was really bad. Anyhow, lets see where we are a few months down the road.

The signs aren't good. He had to get recruitment right to be a success but the squad is looking as weak as ever despite huge spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.