Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He said current PL managers, need to read. Mounrinho got that in the era when the PL was a two horse race... If that, when the top 4 was pretty much settled every year.

Doubt it his first season was last year he'd be getting 95 points. Not when you've got about 7/8 teams competing for the top 4 and the top 10/12 teams are pretty handy on their day. Did Mounrinho have the mid table quality like we do with Brighton, Brentford, Villa as we do now? Or relegation fodder able to win European cups?

That's more of a reason to think of this stat as bullshit.

He said current PL managers, need to read. Mounrinho got that in the era when the PL was a two horse race... If that, when the top 4 was pretty much settled every year.

Doubt it his first season was last year he'd be getting 95 points. Not when you've got about 7/8 teams competing for the top 4 and the top 10/12 teams are pretty handy on their day. Did Mounrinho have the mid table quality like we do with Brighton, Brentford, Villa as we do now? Or relegation fodder able to win European cups?
In Mourinho‘s first season in the PL a mid table club from the same league won the CL!

what's wrong with using a behind-closed-door match to tinker?

I didn't say there's anything wrong with it - I said I hope he's not tinkering like crazy. Mostly because the season has started and I'd like to see some consistency, but again, I didn't say there's anything wrong with tinkering be it in a behind-closed doors game, training or competitive games

Poor pre-season, bad start, underwhelming signings, off field issues, injuries (Mount now out for 4-6 weeks).

Already feeling like one of those seasons where nothing goes right. Opposite to last where most things went our way.
, a CB
We've signed 3 players, a goalkeeper that most fans were delighted to see, one of the most promising young strikers around, Mount maybe a little underwhelming but that's it, if you were expecting someone of Kane's ilk, Onana, 2 other CM's and a RB you're a seriously deluded fan.

, a CB
We've signed 3 players, a goalkeeper that most fans were delighted to see, one of the most promising young strikers around, Mount maybe a little underwhelming but that's it, if you were expecting someone of Kane's ilk, Onana, 2 other CM's and a RB you're a seriously deluded fan.
If there was any possibility for Kane, we should have gone for him before Onana and Mount. He is a bigger game changer than them. 2 CMs are simple if we sell before we buy.

Turning out to be one of the clubs ugliest looking starts to a premier league season. Nothing but negativity surrounding the club both on and off the pitch, new signings (one of which is a very questionable use of funds) are injured so we are essentially playing with the exact same squad as last season with the exception of an upgraded GK but if we lose against Nott’m Forest its going to get so ugly.

After every somewhat promising season where we qualify for the Champions League we always fail to follow it up with a good transfer window and it’s why we just never seem to progress.

People actually believed that stats despite it being nonsense ? As we said, Mourinho got 95 points in his first 38 games in PL and isn't even in that bullshit BBC stat.

Mourinho isn't a current PL manager.

I suggest you watch this:

The first half against Spurs was very good, only to be spoilt by horrendous defending from our midfield in the second half. The video highlights that our CM was positioned to handle Sarr but didn't and that we allowed Davies all the time in the world. No urgency in our defending which is a huge concern just like Pool or City or Sevilla or Brentford never happened.

Howe and de Zerbi are looking more solid than ETH, but still early days of course.

If there was any possibility for Kane, we should have gone for him before Onana and Mount. He is a bigger game changer than them. 2 CMs are simple if we sell before we buy.
Don't disagree about Kane but it's clear now it was never going to happen and if we had pursued him we'd not have the other players, we don't really have much to sell that other teams want, partly because some of them are paid too much but everyone knew that

I didn't say there's anything wrong with it - I said I hope he's not tinkering like crazy. Mostly because the season has started and I'd like to see some consistency, but again, I didn't say there's anything wrong with tinkering be it in a behind-closed doors game, training or competitive games
gotcha

Neither is Solskjaer.

the post I quoted was in response to this

having the 2nd best first 40 games amongst current PL managers?

So although Solskjaer was included in the televised list (as he was our last full time manager) the statement above is still correct.

So although Solskjaer was included in the televised list (as he was our last full time manager) the statement above is still correct.

And Ole present in the stat proves it's not just current PL managers.

Or wait, it's actually the PL managers that suit the narrative of whoever made this stat to start with. :lol:

It's bullshit no matter how much you think about it.

, a CB
I didn't even want Kane but our signings aren't really going to shift the dial for us this season. I'm realistic, I knew funds would be tight this summer after last but unfortunately we're just falling further behind our rivals squad wise.

But what you describe is a manager who is not very capable, right? The other poster I replied to, placed the blame on the players who will throw the manager under the bus, apparently for no good reason.
True true.

Fair enough. It's still a strange graphic produced from BBC. I don't know if there's more context behind it but at best it's misleading. Solskjaer's inclusion feels forced and ignores his Cardiff stint so isn't even an accurate measure.

We could have signed that type of player with the money we spent on Mount surely? Looks like he wants to play a different way though or he wants to try and copy pep a little bit with the 2 8s and 1 sitting. Although our DM doesn’t sit back which causes us problems. Instead of Mount I think we needed a physical b2b midfielder.

Agree. Once the press it beaten, Mount is useless. I saw him lose him man a couple of times in the last two games.

We need someone who actually put in a tackle, Mount and Bruno hardly stop the ball. Our midfield is overrun because Wolves and Spurs basically cut thru' our midfield time and time again. Imagine Caicedo is part of this midfield, no. of shot at goals would 100% reduce. We need an all action midfielder who can tackle and bring the ball forward with some creativity. The player is Mainoo who is injure. Eriksen and McTominay doesn't meet this requirement. Maybe Hannibal but ETH doesn't trust him. I hope ETH has some balls to use Hannibal against Forest at home but I think we will see Eriksen instead. If Hannibal can play with some composure, our season may actually looks brighter with Mainoo and him rotating with Casemiro in midfield.

And Ole present in the stat proves it's not just current PL managers.

Or wait, it's actually the PL managers that suit the narrative of whoever made this stat to start with. :lol:

It's bullshit no matter how much you think about it.

The comment you quoted and responded to was correct and so not 'bullshit', you may not think it is meaningful but it is a correct interpretation of the data.

I would guess Solskjaer was included because he was our last full time manager, current PL managers and United's last full time manager, makes sense to me.

Your reaction is symptomatic of the phenomenon of desperately searching for a conspiracy theory to explain a fact that contradicts their own view.

Fair enough. It's still a strange graphic produced from BBC. I don't know if there's more context behind it but at best it's misleading. Solskjaer's inclusion feels forced and ignores his Cardiff stint so isn't even an accurate measure.

How is it strange? Current PL managers and United's last full time manager seems like a logical set to compare to.

The knives are definitely out everywhere you look.

Crazy after just 2 games.

One of which was a win!

As with some of the bedwetting at the end of last season in which some people were near-hysterical at the thought of us losing out on a top four place we were always heavy favourites to secure, I can only hope the more extreme posters aren't this prone to histrionics in real life. Because Christ what a chore they'd be for the people around them.

In Mourinho‘s first season in the PL a mid table club from the same league won the CL!

Yeah 4th the season before, 5th the season they won the CL, out of 20 teams.. hardly midtable. Poor counter arguement.

That's more of a reason to think of this stat as bullshit.

Why? can only compared to the era you are in? In terms of our history, he's got more point in his first 40 games than any manager before him, and he's the fastest of our managers to get to 20 wins.

If you want to compare to Mourinho's first season. He took a team that was 2nd, and won the league with them. Gaining 16 points from previous season. ETH took a team 6th and got to 3rd, and gained 19 points. Both won the league cup, we got further in the FA cup.

Last edited:
Yeah 4th the season before, 5th the season they won the CL, out of 20 teams.. hardly midtable. Poor counter arguement.
Well it’s also CL and not bloody 3rd rate Conference like West Ham won last season (which you mentioned). Huge difference. And West Ham were 7th the season before, 14th the season they won the Conference. Hardly relegation fodder. Poor original argument.

How is it strange? Current PL managers and United's last full time manager seems like a logical set to compare to.
Because the graphic doesn't reference the fact it's selected managers, and there's no asterisk next to Ole's points total which is incorrect if you include his Cardiff stint. It's misleading.

Any truth in this behind closed doors game we supposedly had with Burnley and got battered tonight. Really feels like we learned a way to play last season, far from perfect but then are changing the whole approach this season. If we'd had a massive overhaul then fair enough. Does he have a plan?? Surely this group can't play with an inverse double pivot in midfield. Worried with the lack of ruthlessness with players on the way out too. I do understand the wage v sell on issue though.

Well it’s also CL and not bloody 3rd rate Conference like West Ham won last season (which you mentioned). Huge difference. And West Ham were 7th the season before, 14th the season they won the Conference. Hardly relegation fodder. Poor original argument.

Not really because you out of everything you picked a 5th place winning the CL as the only counter point. West Ham nearlly got relegated so that's a fact. You can only compare eras, and this era of the PL is far tougher than 2004/2005. How ever another arguement is that Mourinho gained 16 points from Chelseas previous season, Ten Hag gained 19.

Not really because you out of everything you picked a 5th place winning the CL as the only counter point. West Ham nearlly got relegated so that's a fact. You can only compare eras, and this era of the PL is far tougher than 2004/2005. How ever another arguement is that Mourinho gained 16 points from Chelseas previous season, Ten Hag gained 19.
This doesn’t make sense. Different era, different conditions. Points totals have increased as bigger squads now, more money in the game, etc. Even more subs allowed nowadays. And even if it’s “far tougher” now as you claim, then it’s tough for everyone (apart from oil clubs). So it’s also tough for Klopp and Arteta, etc.
Anyway I am out of this pointless discussion. It was a pointless random stat. It’s like they chose Ole but not then why not the previous manager Jose as well? They probably realised that his first 40 games were much better (Chelsea also spent like crazy especially from 2003 onwards so kind of understandable), but either give the full picture or don’t do it at all instead of providing some random stat.

Ten Hag first Premier league game was a home defeat to Brighton since then United's record in Old Trafford in the league has been Played 19 Won 16 Drew 3 Lost 0, scored 36 goals conceded 8 goals, scoring difference +28 and Points 51 out of a possible 57.

Home cup form last season P13 W11 D1 L 1 F33 A11

Chelsea also spent staggering amounts of money back then. The year before Mourinho went to Chelsea they had the biggest inflation adjusted transfer spend ever, and Mourinho's first two seasons are 3rd and 4th.

Imagine if Liverpool and Arsenal gave up on their manager's as quickly as you lot have given up on Ten Hag.

Remember the season before must were crying about playing 2 DMS, now we want another next to Casemiro. Last session Eriksen wasn't dynamic enough, but how dare we have Mount in the team.
Eriksen is a better footballer than Mount though even with a pacemaker. That’s just a fact.

Eriksen at 24 meanwhile was a player of the year contender so there are levels. We paid a huge amount of cash for what many would consider a squad player at the best clubs.

Then gave him the 7 shirt without earning it. That’s not great business is it?

Although you’re right about Kane, we always needed a new number 1. ETH seen enough of DDG last season to know he can’t adjust to the way he wants to play. So although Kane would have won us games, Onana is the one that will change our style of play and playing out from the back.

I like this take

We see first hand the problem of managers choosing players and not a DoF or football management team and no coherent football philosophy at the club. We end up with players who dont suit the manager. While ETH may want a certain style of play, he is being allowed to buy players that he know well but arent really good enough. If we sign Amrabat it will be his 4th signing out of 10 that he has managed directly, and 8 out of ten who have played in Dutch league either for or against him. Very concerning stats

I like this take

It's not wrong.

Last season he was saying
"It has to be a proactive way, proactive football and that we are dominating and dictating games against all our competitors, so at the highest level "

This season he is saying
"So we really looked into the history of Manchester United and we really looked also into the qualities of our players. And then you can say, so what do we want to be? "

Which says to me he has changed his ideas.

It's not wrong.

Last season he was saying
"It has to be a proactive way, proactive football and that we are dominating and dictating games against all our competitors, so at the highest level "

This season he is saying
"So we really looked into the history of Manchester United and we really looked also into the qualities of our players. And then you can say, so what do we want to be? "

Which says to me he has changed his ideas.

Or he's being forced to. Anyway his current ideas aren't working.

Status
Not open for further replies.