Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
apparently lost 0-3 to Burnley in match behind closed doors. I hope he’s not tinkering like crazy and that it helped with match fitness

Last edited:
after seeing him get that shitty group last season thru to the end in top 4 ive got enough faith in him regardless for this season. Just hope the ownership shit and an overall average, at best, transfer window (assuming no more adds) hasnt screwed him over.

after seeing him get that shitty group last season thru to the end in top 4 ive got enough faith in him regardless for this season.

This is always a questionable policy - it's best to judge managers on the now - last season a lot of top 4 contenders were uncharacteristically off pace

Why can other managers get teams playing their way without falling apart, spurs may not finish top 4 but the identity under the new manager is there straight away without being all over the place like we end up the minute ten hag tries to play more progressive, can't use the de gea excuse any more either.
The team is flawed at the core teeming with players who are very weak mentally and technically. The moment they have to leave their comfort zone or hit a tough patch they fall apart. We saw this in Ole's last season and we will continue to see this. I think there is a cynicism that has developed amongst the players that have survived several managerial sackings, they know they can, have and will run the manager out of a job.

Will be gone at the end of the season. Not through his own doing mind, I just think the players will throw him under the bus.

The team is flawed at the core teeming with players who are very weak mentally and technically. The moment they have to leave their comfort zone or hit a tough patch they fall apart. We saw this in Ole's last season and we will continue to see this. I think there is a cynicism that has developed amongst the players that have survived several managerial sackings, they know they can, have and will run the manager out of a job.

There is only 3 major standouts that are regular first team players that have survived previous managers and that is rashford, bruno and shaw and to be fair rashford saved eth last season with his goal tally when we were not exactly a high scoring team

Will be gone at the end of the season. Not through his own doing mind, I just think the players will throw him under the bus.

Why would the players throw a capable manager under the bus? And more than that, players that were selected by him, and given huge salaries thanks to him?

Players want trophies and more money, a capable manager should help them get those. So why do you think they will throw him under the bus?

Who are these ‘core of players’? This explanation has been proposed so many times over the last decade, despite a pretty high player turnover.

The more likely explanation is that there is a cultural/structural issue, where the club doesn’t nurture an environment where players can thrive (in my opinion).

If he somehow survive this season, hope club back him and sell these "core players". Sick of them losing possession 20 times a match.
Big if though. Players look unfit and just give up by half time.

If he loses his job, it will purely be because of the Glazers.
How is it Glazers issues when you've spent 400m while still not able to change the structure of the team?
ETH needs the balls to drop some of the big players, change the course of the team, if the dropped players don't change bin them off.

How is it Glazers issues when you've spent 400m while still not able to change the structure of the team?
ETH needs the balls to drop some of the big players, change the course of the team, if the dropped players don't change bin them off.

One of the things i liked hearing about him the most was that he was objective in dropping underperforming players, all bullshit of course but it was nice to hear that's exactly what you need. Couldn't believe Antony and Garnacho had shocking games at Wolves for instance and they started at Spurs only to do the same thing again.

Also yeah Glazers are an easy target for blame really, the one good thing you can say about them is that post Sir Alex they have never really been cheap, its part of the reason we are in this mess really the money has run out because there is no structure and the club just kept spending and spending. IE its no one elses responsibility that he chased FDJ for 80% of last summer or spent that kind of money on Casemiro, Antony, Mount etc.

To be fair he had no problem binning Ronaldo, Maguire and De Gea. He just doesn't seem to be able to bin Ten Hag sometimes.

Last season we started shite and couldn't play the way Ten Hag wanted us to, but he wasn't afraid to change tactics and find a solution. It's worth noting that we got third without replacing our main striker once he sulked off to South Africa. I'm hoping he accepts this again and finds a tactical solution that works for these players.

But that's where my big problem is with him; after two summers we still don't have the players needed to play Ten Hag Ball, and that's including the £400M worth of Ten Hag selected players. He isn't a scout, though, and he isn't a DoF. He's a coach and he's shown that he's a good one, arguably the best we've had in a long time.

I'd say he's a good manager as well but even I knew that playing Casemiro on his own in the middle of midfield, with Fernandes and Mount running around like twats, wasn't a good idea. Ok, so he's also a good manager but right now he's going through his stubborn Mike Bassett period where "England United will play 4-4-fecking-2 4-1-2-fecking-3."

I can't remember who it was, or which podcast, but someone said that "Ten Hag is excellent at finding player's weaknesses and working on them. Hopefully he is able to do a similar job when is comes to his own flaws."

Poor pre-season, bad start, underwhelming signings, off field issues, injuries (Mount now out for 4-6 weeks).

Already feeling like one of those seasons where nothing goes right. Opposite to last where most things went our way.

We desperately needed to sell Maguire and McT to get new players in.
Here we are.
Good luck ETH.

People are insane. Quite literally insane. They should be shoved into a digital nuthouse. Only a page or less ago there's an graphic quite blatantly showing EtH being 2nd only to Pep.

But no.......we demand him to usurp Pep by at least twenty points!

Im guessing the outrage is from the fact that results in football is fresh produce. Last seasons results mean nothing if the team is not performing in the current one

Poor pre-season, bad start, underwhelming signings, off field issues, injuries (Mount now out for 4-6 weeks).

Already feeling like one of those seasons where nothing goes right. Opposite to last where most things went our way.

How was it a poor pre-season? The start is average and is much better than last year. Signings are fine, especially with Onana being absolutely necessary, Hojland wasn't supposed to be the only CF but the market is wild.

Transfer window is still open as well.

To be fair he had no problem binning Ronaldo, Maguire and De Gea. He just doesn't seem to be able to bin Ten Hag sometimes.

Last season we started shite and couldn't play the way Ten Hag wanted us to, but he wasn't afraid to change tactics and find a solution. It's worth noting that we got third without replacing our main striker once he sulked off to South Africa. I'm hoping he accepts this again and finds a tactical solution that works for these players.

But that's where my big problem is with him; after two summers we still don't have the players needed to play Ten Hag Ball, and that's including the £400M worth of Ten Hag selected players. He isn't a scout, though, and he isn't a DoF. He's a coach and he's shown that he's a good one, arguably the best we've had in a long time.

I'd say he's a good manager as well but even I knew that playing Casemiro on his own in the middle of midfield, with Fernandes and Mount running around like twats, wasn't a good idea. Ok, so he's also a good manager but right now he's going through his stubborn Mike Bassett period where "England United will play 4-4-fecking-2 4-1-2-fecking-3."

I can't remember who it was, or which podcast, but someone said that "Ten Hag is excellent at finding player's weaknesses and working on them. Hopefully he is able to do a similar job when is comes to his own flaws."

Agree with this.

Im not sure what Ten Hag ball is exactly, but it if it involves possession football at all, he will need to spend another 400mil at least to get a team of players who can retain the ball.

The player he wanted most, it seems, was Frenkie de Jong because he could bring the ball out of the back and start attacks. He still hasn't signed that type of player, which seems to be pivotal.

Why would the players throw a capable manager under the bus? And more than that, players that were selected by him, and given huge salaries thanks to him?

Players want trophies and more money, a capable manager should help them get those. So why do you think they will throw him under the bus?
If the manager blames the players for bad performances, whilst bringing in players like Weghorst and an out of form, out of position Mount to try and solve our problems (and creating more of them by doing so) then they will hit a point where they'll lose the motivation to listen to his criticisms.

What’s going on this season? We had a decent season last year what’s changed? I mean I know it’s only 2 games but the performances have been shocking plus we’re losing behind closed door matches to Burnley. We had an issue last season with scoring and I think we’re gonna have the same problem this year. We’re relying on clean sheets again and winning games 1-0.

Agree with this.

Im not sure what Ten Hag ball is exactly, but it if it involves possession football at all, he will need to spend another 400mil at least to get a team of players who can retain the ball.

The player he wanted most, it seems, was Frenkie de Jong because he could bring the ball out of the back and start attacks. He still hasn't signed that type of player, which seems to be pivotal.
We could have signed that type of player with the money we spent on Mount surely? Looks like he wants to play a different way though or he wants to try and copy pep a little bit with the 2 8s and 1 sitting. Although our DM doesn’t sit back which causes us problems. Instead of Mount I think we needed a physical b2b midfielder.

If the manager blames the players for bad performances, whilst bringing in players like Weghorst and an out of form, out of position Mount to try and solve our problems (and creating more of them by doing so) then they will hit a point where they'll lose the motivation to listen to his criticisms.

But what you describe is a manager who is not very capable, right? The other poster I replied to, placed the blame on the players who will throw the manager under the bus, apparently for no good reason.

What, by winning a cup, finishing third and having the 2nd best first 40 games amongst current PL managers? Quite literally only Pep had a better first 40 games.......and that's by three mere points or so. Oh yeah, his own doing.
A mickey mouse cup and a league position he nearly fecked up. Considering his transfer dealings have been mostly poor and he's made some bafflingly bad tactical decisions and ruined our away record against the top 9, if he doesn't want the sack he has to rectify these things.

What, by winning a cup, finishing third and having the 2nd best first 40 games amongst current PL managers? Quite literally only Pep had a better first 40 games.......and that's by three mere points or so. Oh yeah, his own doing.

And Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had 29 consecutive away league matches unbeaten, a record that stands alone in the history of the English first division.

This is always a questionable policy - it's best to judge managers on the now - last season a lot of top 4 contenders were uncharacteristically off pace

The points total and underlying metrics matter more than the position. I'm fine for instance if we get 80 pts, underlying metrics show improvement but finish outside top four this season.

With Mount out now he'll be forced to actually play a balanced formation and stop that crap tactics he has been trying to implement.

Back to Eriksen-Casemiro-Bruno midfield.

People actually believed that stats despite it being nonsense ? As we said, Mourinho got 95 points in his first 38 games in PL and isn't even in that bullshit BBC stat.

Imagine if Liverpool and Arsenal gave up on their manager's as quickly as you lot have given up on Ten Hag.

Remember the season before must were crying about playing 2 DMS, now we want another next to Casemiro. Last session Eriksen wasn't dynamic enough, but how dare we have Mount in the team.

People actually believed that stats despite it being nonsense ? As we said, Mourinho got 95 points in his first 38 games in PL and isn't even in that bullshit BBC stat.

He said current PL managers, need to read. Mounrinho got that in the era when the PL was a two horse race... If that, when the top 4 was pretty much settled every year.

Doubt it his first season was last year he'd be getting 95 points. Not when you've got about 7/8 teams competing for the top 4 and the top 10/12 teams are pretty handy on their day. Did Mounrinho have the mid table quality like we do with Brighton, Brentford, Villa as we do now? Or relegation fodder able to win European cups?

Im guessing the outrage is from the fact that results in football is fresh produce. Last seasons results mean nothing if the team is not performing in the current one

You're only as good as your last envelope.

Geez, the amount of toxicity here after two games played. Y'all are insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.