Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
The man has my utmost trust, but we can't go on like this for any longer and he needs to make some changes to get us going because it looks like we're way off the pace, in combination with the midfield looking really messy. Especially with Arsenal coming up after Forest.

Got to agree that the lack of a style of play, or at least a working effective one is a real issue. Everything I heard about ETH was that his teams pressed high and hard and won the ball back quick. I was looking forward to seeing this implemented properly here but we still look so disjointed. Not only with the pressing but pretty much most basic aspects on the game.

He says he wants us to be the best counter attacking team in the world so I’ll give him this season to see if we get anywhere near that and improve on the basic passing, positional and combination play we should be doing routinely every game.

We are a very poorly drilled side and that has to change, we need a structure of play implementing and care free players like Bruno and Rashford need to be reigned in until the basics are nailed down. It’s pretty sad that they can’t seem to see this themselves.

Do people still not understand there is a difference between transition and counter attack ffs.

I mean they both star in a game through chance creation. I'd say that's their greatest strength. KDB is a much better ball carrier though and is more 2 footed and physically gifted, but he's not setting the tempo for City while creating chances galore. His best work is done in the final 3rd.

As for the 2nd bolded: That's down to the team, don't you think? If Bruno has a bad game, we usually don't play well. City can compensate for De Bruyne not playing well(or even flat out not playing).
I think we are actually agreeing here and looking for opposing views where there are none.

My original point was ETH has a problem in that his star men (Bruno and Rashford) aren't the best fits for the style he looks for.

Firstly, I don't think he wants a playmaking 10 with everything going through him as the sole source of creativity. That's what he has in Bruno, who isn't consistent, tactically disciplined or sufficiently physical either. He was playing Weghorst at #10 and shunting Bruno out wide last season, read between the lines!

Then the point moved on to the problem being even bigger because without said star men we are completely hopeless (as opposed to City sans KDB, as you point out).

The man has my utmost trust, but we can't go on like this for any longer and he needs to make some changes to get us going because it looks like we're way off the pace, in combination with the midfield looking really messy. Especially with Arsenal coming up after Forest.
Honestly I thought our trio did great in the first half against Spurs.

I see our issue more being fitness and mentality after going down in games.

They did better from a transitional sense but still way too easily bypassed. It seems that if we don't win the ball high up the pitch from pressing, the opposition is free to walk through it.

They did better from a transitional sense but still way too easily bypassed. It seems that if we don't win the ball high up the pitch from pressing, the opposition is free to walk through it.
I guess but most teams are seeing this. Wolves had Brighton on toast when it was 1-0 on around 3 or 4 occasions. Of course Brighton ran away with it after though. West Ham just exposed a lot of Chelsea frailties yet, Liverpool had a torrid first half to Bournemouth too whilst Spurs themselves had struggling periods looking very open vs Brentford.

Only Arsenal and City look solid, and even then the former struggled against Forrest to carve out many chances.

ETH can say which or what type of player he needs but the final decision should be made by our DOF and Technical Director with intel from a scouting team. I won't blame ETH for the incompetence above him.
I too wouldn't blame him for the signings. When the new DoF was being paraded it was supposed to be his role to bring some yang to the manager's ying. They blew it! No doubt because they are even less knowledgeable at recruitment. What would be the point of vetoing a transfer if they don't have any ideas of their own? You need one heck of a director to say I'm right where ETH is wrong, instead we got an even worse version of subservience than what we already had with Woodward.

What have you been watching?
He's right. Despite the reputation ETH had as a possession manager, if you compare our possession stats with our seasons under Ole there's basically no change. The only real improvement was in our defence (which was probably helped by signing an actual dm in Casemiro)

My biggest concern with EtH is that having had a year I wouldn’t expect this squad to be anywhere near finished but I would expect our 2 best attackers, Bruno & Rashford to be playing in their best positions week on week with the rest of the attack being made to fit around them.

Bruno produced historic numbers at 10 & Rashford just had a career year from LW, neither should be playing anywhere else for us unless you’re seeing out a comfortable win & want to mess about.

Yes, it feels like ETH can overcomplicate things doesn’t it.

LvG would do this also, though ETH is more likeable - but there’s something of a similarity there in the round pegs in square holes approach and playing key players in positions that are not their best positions.

I’m surprised this doesn’t get called out more tbh.

I agree. If they give us that 100% pen it's a different game as well. Reminded me of last season, capitalize in the first and play out the game in a more safe manner the second. The first half was very hopeful, but that collapse in the 2nd half was inexcusable. People are right to be angry, but looking at some comments on the caf you would think we're fighting relegation.

He's right. Despite the reputation ETH had as a possession manager, if you compare our possession stats with our seasons under Ole there's basically no change. The only real improvement was in our defence (which was probably helped by signing an actual dm in Casemiro)
The only counter to this I would say is we don't really have advanced stats for where possession occurs, you could knock it aimlessly around the back 4 and your % of possession will be inflated versus actually retaining possession in a more offensive area and trying to progress the ball up the pitch through passing + movement versus a direct, usually longer ball. That's really the difference between a possession team and not, there will be a conscious effort to progress the ball toward the opposition goal with lower risk passes which tend to be shorter and are heavily dependent on a midfield.

Let's see what happens when we have an actual striker in the side that can hold up the ball, and bring others into play. Of course things are going to look dysfunctional in possession especially in the final third, while when we're still missing that key ingredient. Also to say there's basically no change last season at our best is nonsense. Our home form speaks for itself and the performances against top opposition that came with it.

I guess but most teams are seeing this. Wolves had Brighton on toast when it was 1-0 on around 3 or 4 occasions. Of course Brighton ran away with it after though. West Ham just exposed a lot of Chelsea frailties yet, Liverpool had a torrid first half to Bournemouth too whilst Spurs themselves had struggling periods looking very open vs Brentford.

Only Arsenal and City look solid, and even then the former struggled against Forrest to carve out many chances.

That's true.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but in terms of tactical outlet what we are trying to implement atm is something a version of that:

https://www.leftbackfootball.com/home/2020/3/20/the-3-1-6-attacking-formation

The major flaw here is Casemiro is not a first phase build up player so how do you link the 3 defensive players with the 6 attacking players when the 1 in the middle is not capable of being a key cog in the build up phase?
Not only that the 1 in the middle surely cannot be immobile in a league like the premier league.

I don't see how we have the personnel to implement the system described in that link, then again I'm not a premier league manager so maybe its possible and ETH will surprise me. Seriously though I do not see this working

This is a myth made from people who just look at his Ajax stats and presume because most of the time had the most possession it must mean he is a possession manager. They just dominated games. It's not the same thing.

Our pressing has improved a lot, especially this season.

This could've been Moysey's 10th season. Oh why did we not listen....

We clearly had huge improvements under Ten Hag last season and we are just 2 games in this season and people already crying about Ten Hag out, people need to calm down is my point.

Moyes and Ten Hag are two waaaay different managers. I mean Moyes focused mainly on the defensive part of the game at a club where we are known for "Attack Attack!"

My biggest negative is the style of play. I see very little change, I keep hearing about plans and systems.
I find these kind of posts astounding. I honestly don’t know how anyone can look at ETH’s tenure so far and come to the conclusion there is very little change in the style of football we played under Ole/Ragnick. Seriously?

The style and patterns of play became evident within just the first couple of months. Yes it’s given we still have flaws and it isn’t perfect but you can not seriously say nothing has changed from the dross we had before.

Arsenal wasn't solid at all. Johnson should have finished that chance and they still needed Saka wonder goal to take the lead. The overreaction here is embarrassing.

Says who ? A random keyboard warrior from redcafe ?

We did good. Should have scored 2 and a penalty Should have been given to us. Second half was bad but there was improvement.

It's clear that he's focusing on players he's familiar with from his time in the Dutch league. I do however question the involvement of our scouting team and higher-ups in our transfer decisions.

Take, for instance, the case with Antony. Ajax's high asking price could have been questioned by our scouts or Director of Football. It's obvious he's not the calibre of that price-tag and I find it hard to believe that our scouts were oblivious to this. Our DOF could have blocked that transfer with the reasoning that he's simply not worth that kind of money.

ETH can say which or what type of player he needs but the final decision should be made by our DOF and Technical Director with intel from a scouting team. I won't blame ETH for the incompetence above him.

Do you believe in Murthough co's judgement?

I find these kind of posts astounding. I honestly don’t know how anyone can look at ETH’s tenure so far and come to the conclusion there is very little change in the style of football we played under Ole/Rangnick. Seriously?

The style and patterns of play became evident within just the first couple of months. Yes it’s given we still have flaws and it isn’t perfect but you can not seriously say nothing has changed from the dross we had before.
Arsenal wasn't solid at all. Johnson should have finished that chance and they still needed Saka wonder goal to take the lead. The overreaction here is embarrassing.

Reported for making too much sense! :lol: :D;)

The only counter to this I would say is we don't really have advanced stats for where possession occurs, you could knock it aimlessly around the back 4 and your % of possession will be inflated versus actually retaining possession in a more offensive area and trying to progress the ball up the pitch through passing + movement versus a direct, usually longer ball. That's really the difference between a possession team and not, there will be a conscious effort to progress the ball toward the opposition goal with lower risk passes which tend to be shorter and are heavily dependent on a midfield.
The stats are there. Find them here
https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/possession/Premier-League-Stats

Even passing stats,
https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/passing/Premier-League-Stats

We are not performing well in almost all metrics.

Even passing stats, our 80.6% is below Arsenal, Villa, City, Brighton, Newcastle, Fulham, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Wolves.​
In all the total passing tabs, we are average number 10 in all metrics.​
Only Attacking 3rd touches we are 3rd in the metrics, which is lead by Chelsea then spurs.​
Everything else we are between 8-10th. Yes it's the second game of the season but even last season we averaged 5-6 the in possession all season.​

It's clear that he's focusing on players he's familiar with from his time in the Dutch league. I do however question the involvement of our scouting team and higher-ups in our transfer decisions.

Take, for instance, the case with Antony. Ajax's high asking price could have been questioned by our scouts or Director of Football. It's obvious he's not the calibre of that price-tag and I find it hard to believe that our scouts were oblivious to this. Our DOF could have blocked that transfer with the reasoning that he's simply not worth that kind of money.

That's the thing, the scouts did question the signing. The leaked scouting report predicted basically everything we're seeing with Antony now.

Do people still not understand there is a difference between transition and counter attack ffs.
I don’t care what style he wants to play, until he can get them to be able to pass to each other without losing the ball every 30 secs and drills into Bruno, Rashford and Garnacho the importance of choosing team play over either ball hogging or high risk options all the time we’ll stay exactly as we are now.

I don’t care what style he wants to play, until he can get them to be able to pass to each other without losing the ball every 30 secs and drills into Bruno, Rashford and Garnacho the importance of choosing team play over either ball hogging or high risk options all the time we’ll stay exactly as we are now.
You should care if you are going to emphasize on it in your post. There is a big difference.

That's the thing, the scouts did question the signing. The leaked scouting report predicted basically everything we're seeing with Antony now.
Exactly, dont understand why some are so keen to excuse ETH. From what we know it was ETH that wanted Antony and was so desperate that Ajx rinsed us on price. Look at the stupid pursuit of FDJ when it seemed he had no appetite for the move.

The stats are there. Find them here
https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/possession/Premier-League-Stats

Even passing stats,
https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/passing/Premier-League-Stats

We are not performing well in almost all metrics.

Even passing stats, our 80.6% is below Arsenal, Villa, City, Brighton, Newcastle, Fulham, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Wolves.​
In all the total passing tabs, we are average number 10 in all metrics.​
Only Attacking 3rd touches we are 3rd in the metrics, which is lead by Chelsea then spurs.​
Everything else we are between 8-10th. Yes it's the second game of the season but even last season we averaged 5-6 the in possession all season.​

The A-XaG stat showing how many assists we should have had vs how many we have had is damning, we are in last place as we have created so much but finished so little, worries me we are still looking at midfielders/ defenders which will it would be helpful, a transition team generally doesn't have to have high possession but they need to finish their dinner and right now we can't finish a thing.

The major flaw here is Casemiro is not a first phase build up player so how do you link the 3 defensive players with the 6 attacking players when the 1 in the middle is not capable of being a key cog in the build up phase?
Not only that the 1 in the middle surely cannot be immobile in a league like the premier league.

I don't see how we have the personnel to implement the system described in that link, then again I'm not a premier league manager so maybe its possible and ETH will surprise me. Seriously though I do not see this working
Yes, it's not working because of that for one reason, the other reason is that it's not a Premier League thing, but even outside of Prem now that so many teams play with highly inverted fullbacks which overcrowd the midfield and make the build-up phase more complex.

Seeing EtH management style, he strikes me as the type of guy gives players the rope and then sees if they are going to tie the knot or use it to climb.

He has said so meny times that he doesn't dictate the play, the players do. I think the running stats will piss him off and I won't be surprised to see us top the charts soon on these.

I really think he is strict and direct enough to get the players, playing - you could see how pissed off Rashford was.

Status
Not open for further replies.