Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sprints and high speed runs differential is a huge problem. Shows we aren't physically up to it which is worrying to say the least

This is very interesting, absolutely no excuse for not working hard in the game. I'd love to see this broken down on a by player basis and even more so in comparison to the Spurs equivalent.

The only one I can say for sure has been a success is Martinez.

Onana looks very promising but its still too early, he looks like he has a few big howlers in him.
So you're assuming Onana is bad? Because that's the only way your point actually sticks.
Malacia was meant to improve us at LB but cant get ahead of Shaw, who we already had.
No he wasn't.
Antony has been one of our worst signings in the last decade, along with Maguire. I cant even see him improving that much to a point we can justify his price.
The only poor transfer.
Weghorst was awful. His job was to score goals, in the end i think he scored 2/3 in 6 months.
We were operating in a loan market, that's not on Ten Hag. Ten Hag wanted Gakpo. He didn't get Gakpo. That's not his fault - unless you can name better striker options on loan with a short time frame to work with.
Now with Ryan Gravenberch, i've seen him play a few times and not been impressed once. Looks like he could be another "squad player". Not someone who will improve us.
Where did you watch him? Under Ten Hag he was very good. I feel like in Germany he doesnt suit any of the manager's systems, but that does not make him a useless asset.

Big supporter of this guy - was very satisfied/happy when we appointed him, though a few things are starting to concern me. Lack of clear consistent identity (pressing is inconsistent), questionable signings that he seems the main driver behind and "fairly" stubborn in selection. Though correct me if i am wrong, outside of number 1, the rest of it a lot of Ajax fans sort of told us/warned us about at the start.

Another thing they mentioned though, was that it's frustrating at the start but once it clicks it's a joy to behold (my words, not theirs). So, i need a little hope and positivity this morning and i'll cling to that.

Keep posting it - it doesn't mean you have a leg to stand on.

Ole made blind signings based on no tactical or coaching ability - that is feck all like Ten Hag.

Ten Hag has a specific system and is operating in a foreign league where he'll need to get his own players in. Sir Alex Ferguson actually credited him for this outlook last week in a rare interview.

Mount is a signing I really like because his work rate and ability is severely underrated here. Martinez is already a fan favourite, Malacia is absolutely fine as a squad player and Onana is the best GK choice we could have gone for.

If you have an actual stick to beat him with then sure, have a moan, but don't complain because Antony is struggling and now you want to extrapolate the whole thing on Ten Hag's wish for working with players he's familiar with.
'operating in a foreign league where he'll need to get his own players in'. Come off it, this is pathetic. Moyes only trusted players he had worked with, look wher that got him. ETH is the manager of Manchester United. He is not picking players from the Premier league, let alone SPain or Germany. But the Dutch league. A couple of players he really trusts is fine, but 7 out of nine is embarrasing. We were told that scouting had been overhauled and we had a new approach. We dont. Another poster said scouting emails were leaked that showed they opposed signign Antony. Until we sort out recruitment that does not give managers free reign we will never achieve.

Big supporter of this guy - was very satisfied/happy when we appointed him, though a few things are starting to concern me. Lack of clear consistent identity (pressing is inconsistent), questionable signings that he seems the main driver behind and "fairly" stubborn in selection. Thought correct me if i am wrong, outside of number 1, the rest of it a lot of Ajax fans sort of told us/warned us about at the start.

Another thing they mentioned though, was that it's frustrating at the start but once it clicks it's a joy to behold (my words, not theirs). So, i need a little hope and positivity this morning and i'll cling to that.
Yes to your last point.

He had to change his preferred system last year, and is only actually JUST adopting it now, so the lack of identity is normal.

So you're assuming Onana is bad? Because that's the only way your point actually sticks.

No he wasn't.

The only poor transfer.

We were operating in a loan market, that's not on Ten Hag. Ten Hag wanted Gakpo. He didn't get Gakpo. That's not his fault - unless you can name better striker options on loan with a short time frame to work with.

Where did you watch him? Under Ten Hag he was very good. I feel like in Germany he doesnt suit any of the manager's systems, but that does not make him a useless asset.
Please give over with the ETH fan boy stuff.

'operating in a foreign league where he'll need to get his own players in'. Come off it, this is pathetic. Moyes only trusted players he had worked with, look wher that got him. ETH is the manager of Manchester United. He is not picking players from the Premier league, let alone SPain or Germany. But the Dutch league. A couple of players he really trusts is fine, but 7 out of nine is embarrasing. We were told that scouting had been overhauled and we had a new approach. We dont. Another poster said scouting emails were leaked that showed they opposed signign Antony. Until we sort out recruitment that does not give managers free reign we will never achieve.
He literally just signed Mason Mount and you said he's not picking up players from the Premier League.

Do you proof read what you type?

Yes to your last point.

He had to change his preferred system last year, and is only actually JUST adopting it now, so the lack of identity is normal.
Yeah, trying not to get swept away by all the negativity this early on, so just trying to see the positives and be patient. Thanks bud.

Yeah, trying not to get swept away by all the negativity this early on, so just trying to see the positives and be patient. Thanks bud.
If only other posters had your approach :lol:

Insulting another member
He literally just signed Mason Mount and you said he's not picking up players from the Premier League.

Do you proof read what you type?
Stop being an idiot. Did you read my first post? Mount had a season with Vitesse and played well against Ajax. There is a clear fault line here with ETH having a preference for players from the Dutch leauge. Some of the more astute journalists are already calling him out. Its also a failure of our overalll recruitment system to clarify the manager's role

You love ETH, we got it. Give it a rest.

Stop being an idiot. Did you read my first post? Mount had a season with Vitesse and played well against Ajax. There is a clear fault line here with ETH having a preference for players from the Dutch leauge. Some of the more astute journalists are already calling him out. Its also a failure of our overalll recruitment system to clarify the manager's role

Firstly, no need name call. Try to be more subtle about it (see the last sentence of this post).

Secondly, who gives a feck if Mount played at Vitesse. Do you think that's the only time he watched him?

Are you actually insinuating Ten Hag only goes by players who had a good game against him specifically in Holland and negates the rest? What hilariously broken logic.

Im not a fan boy, I just know not to jump on established managers after two games. That makes me a supporter with some patience, not an absolute bellend.

Remind me again when Casemiro and Højlund played in Holland?

I'd search YT if I were you, Onana has a history of howlers, and judging by pre-season, and the Wolves game he hasn't learned from them

Keep posting it - it doesn't mean you have a leg to stand on.

Ole made blind signings based on no tactical or coaching ability - that is feck all like Ten Hag.

Ten Hag has a specific system and is operating in a foreign league where he'll need to get his own players in. Sir Alex Ferguson actually credited him for this outlook last week in a rare interview.

Mount is a signing I really like because his work rate and ability is severely underrated here. Martinez is already a fan favourite, Malacia is absolutely fine as a squad player and Onana is the best GK choice we could have gone for.

If you have an actual stick to beat him with then sure, have a moan, but don't complain because Antony is struggling and now you want to extrapolate the whole thing on Ten Hag's wish for working with players he's familiar with.

Honestly, I get so tired of reading posts on here which tell us how great a player is because they press well, have good work rate or track back well. We’re Manchester United not some plucky team battling against relegation for whom these attributes might be key.

Can we not just start to sign players who we can describe as “has excellent passing” or “can beat their man one on one” or “is a lethal finisher”? When was the last time City signed anyone whose first listed attribute would be “work rate”?

Until we start buying players where their actual footballing ability is the first thing we can list about them, then I’m going to continue to think that we are buying the wrong players.

Honestly, I get so tired of reading posts on here which tell us how great a player is because they press well, have good work rate or track back well. We’re Manchester United not some plucky team battling against relegation for whom these attributes might be key.

Can we not just start to sign players who we can describe as “has excellent passing” or “can beat their man one on one” or “is a lethal finisher”? When was the last time City signed anyone whose first listed attribute would be “work rate”?

Until we start buying players where their actual footballing ability is the first thing we can list about them, then I’m going to continue to think that we are buying the wrong players.
Not all I said though. I said he does have very good ability.
His work rate is his best asset so I won't dance around it, but because he is deeper a lot of the time you will see more of that than the cutting passes and clean finishing. He ranked among the top XG creators at Chelsea season before last, so he has it in his locker.

However the whole squad is getting used to the system yet and its a new system which takes longer than a preseason to adapt to. For me he has a lot of time but I can tell posters have been waiting half a second to jump on him because they never liked him in the first place.

De Bruyne is a better player than Bruno, but he's not a player who barely loses the ball as you think. He takes a lot of risks with his passing too and can be fairly erratic with his passes as well.

Their passing accuracy isn't too dissimilar at club level and De Bruyne's played for teams that dominate possession far more than Bruno's teams have.
I never said he barely loses the ball. Of course he does. It's not like City are tikitaka Barca or KDB is prime Xavi.

The point is KDB dominates games in a way Bruno won't and, when he doesn't have a great game, the team doesn't fall apart left with no Plan B. Huge difference in outcomes in both cases.

I've got a better idea, why don't we start something different, like a system where we find young players, and I mean young, then we could train them in the United way, instil in them a team mentality, you never know we could get three or four excellent players out of it, we could call it an academy.
Imagine if we started it now, in five or six years time those six players could be the backbone of a team that wins the EPL year after year, we could call them "The Class of '23".
I can't think why it hasn't been done before.

I never said he barely loses the ball. Of course he does. It's not like City are tikitaka Barca or KDB is prime Xavi.

The point is KDB dominates games in a way Bruno won't and, when he doesn't have a great game, the team doesn't fall apart left with no Plan B. Huge difference in outcomes in both cases.

I mean they both star in a game through chance creation. I'd say that's their greatest strength. KDB is a much better ball carrier though and is more 2 footed and physically gifted, but he's not setting the tempo for City while creating chances galore. His best work is done in the final 3rd.

As for the 2nd bolded: That's down to the team, don't you think? If Bruno has a bad game, we usually don't play well. City can compensate for De Bruyne not playing well(or even flat out not playing).

I love the reaching when it comes to Mount: Erm yeah, he was on loan at Vitesse who played Ajax, so ETH practically managed him while he was there. Take a break folks.

To be fair Mount was very impressive against Ten Hag's Ajax and in other games. I would say ETH is trying to find that player rather than the Chelsea/England one we know. Of course he's seen him at Chelsea and he did well with assists and goals. In the Dutch league he was probably playing a broader role, dropping deep and winning the ball and being high quality across the midfield. How much was this about youth and the Dutch league though, perhaps he can instructed back or maybe we'll have to buy another midfielder and rotate Bruno and Mount.

I'm expecting a late sale to two so we can get a defender and midfielder. We have enough games to play and rest, make tactical changes and injuries and suspension to have Mount and a more defensive mid.

Liverpool were a different beast than us at their peak. Yes a great, quick transition team, but they had much more control over games. They pressed much harder than us and you could see a plan from the get go - which is something I can't say for us after 12+ months and loads of money spent.

Regardless, a year ago Klopp said that his team needed to become more dominant in possession and he has tried to change the way they play a bit. But we haven't even come anywhere near the bit that made Liverpool so good, let alone being able to control a game. It's not even worth mentioning us in the same breath as Liverpool as it's night and day.

Our idea of being good in transition seems to be long balls over the defence for Rashford and Garnacho to run on to. Other than that I just don't see anything else particularly good about what we do.

Way to miss the point. The guy above is suggesting that transition = counter attack, which it doesn't.

I wasn't in any way saying we're nearly as good as Liverpool were. My point is Liverpool look to be dangerous in the transition but also look to dominate the ball. The two tactical premises aren't mutually exclusive and Liverpool are a prime example of that.

Sabitzer too. But Germany is near Holland. Also the other players from Holland he wanted - Timber, Gakpo and Gravenberch - went to Arsenal, Liverpool and Bayern, FDJ is currently at Barcelona. Martinez was off to Arsenal until we made a bid. Maybe they’re just good players? Wild suggestion I know.

Sabitzer too. But Germany is near Holland. Also the other players from Holland he wanted - Timber, Gakpo and Gravenberch - went to Arsenal, Liverpool and Bayern, FDJ is currently at Barcelona. Martinez was off to Arsenal until we made a bid. Maybe they’re just good players? Wild suggestion I know.
That is insane

Casemiro has mini retirements every summer in Holland and indulges in the special brownies. He's more Dutch than Brazilian now.

Yeah. I mean I have heard some crazy things on the Caf, but that Ten Hag somehow only knows and / or rates players from the dutch league, is probably amongst the most insane.

He's taking too much flack for the wrong reasons. We already saw his playstyle last year. At a similar point last year we had just played Tottenham off the park. The problem I think is the players regressed since they aren't natural at any of this, our best names don't have a deep enough bag to do anything outside their one elite skill. Was why we needed to get it right this summer. We need to start phasing out these types.

He's taking too much flack for the wrong reasons. We already saw his playstyle last year. At a similar point last year we had just played Tottenham off the park. The problem I think is the players regressed since they aren't natural at any of this, our best names don't have a deep enough bag to do anything outside their one elite skill. Was why we needed to get it right this summer. We need to start phasing out these types.
Not entirely sure when this was? We were terrible at the end of the season. He has made good decisions, it was obvious after the FA Cup that DDG was a problem, looks like Onana could be a great signing. But Antony is awful, lets be honest, ultimate one trick pony. Mount is a player many of us have seen plenty of and still dont know what his main role is. Casimero turning 32 in 5 months and is a player that needs legs to perform. Its not all on ETH, there is still a problem with football mangement that will not change until the Glazers go. But after all the money he has spent we dont have an established effective wide player other than Rashford, we have v young CF, and our main DM is heading into his sunset years.

I'd say he's done as many bad things as good things so far. Probably give him 5/10.

Positives

Decent league finish. Did very well at home, which we were very poor under Ole

Did well in cup competitions. The domestic cup runs through out some favourable draws. Very impressed with the Barca matches.

Signing Martinez and Casemiro.

Getting rid of bad eggs, Ronaldo, Pogba, De Gea (performance related)

Negatives

We are awful away from home against good opposition. One thing we were very good at under Ole.

Signing Antony and Mount. Antony is clearly not up to it and I just see very little in Mount. Hope I'm proven wrong.

My biggest negative is the style of play. I see very little change, I keep hearing about plans and systems. I watch the games and see an inability to control a game whilst conceding many chances.

Jury's still out for me but we'll have a clearer picture come the end of the season.

Well, clearly Ten Hag wants to keep it at 7/9, or rather Seven of Nine because he's a massive Star Trek fan. Buying Case and Højlund was purely because they look Romulan and Ferengi respectively.

98b297950041a42470269d56260243a1.jpg

quark001.jpg

I'd say he's done as many bad things as good things so far. Probably give him 5/10.

Positives

Decent league finish. Did very well at home, which we were very poor under Ole

Did well in cup competitions. The domestic cup runs through out some favourable draws. Very impressed with the Barca matches.

Signing Martinez and Casemiro.

Getting rid of bad eggs, Ronaldo, Pogba, De Gea (performance related)

Negatives

We are awful away from home against good opposition. One thing we were very good at under Ole.

Signing Antony and Mount. Antony is clearly not up to it and I just see very little in Mount. Hope I'm proven wrong.

My biggest negative is the style of play. I see very little change, I keep hearing about plans and systems. I watch the games and see an inability to control a game whilst conceding many chances.

Jury's still out for me but we'll have a clearer picture come the end of the season.

What have you been watching?

It's clear that he's focusing on players he's familiar with from his time in the Dutch league. I do however question the involvement of our scouting team and higher-ups in our transfer decisions.

Take, for instance, the case with Antony. Ajax's high asking price could have been questioned by our scouts or Director of Football. It's obvious he's not the calibre of that price-tag and I find it hard to believe that our scouts were oblivious to this. Our DOF could have blocked that transfer with the reasoning that he's simply not worth that kind of money.

ETH can say which or what type of player he needs but the final decision should be made by our DOF and Technical Director with intel from a scouting team. I won't blame ETH for the incompetence above him.

Status
Not open for further replies.