Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that doesn't prove regression then I don't know what does. He was supposed to have sorted out the workrate last season, and now it's back to square one.

I actually disagree with you. I think this is due to our awful 2nd half...which in turn was awful due to us constantly give the ball away and consequently we ended up expending too much energy chasing and ran out of energy.

That's still a problem though, don't get me wrong. We can't be thinking of pressing if we can't keep the ball better. That's on him

Some very good analysis on Ten Hag’s tactics, worth sticking with the whole thread.

So the question is why are they not doing what they're instructed to do. Why are some individuals half arsing things?

Have spent the whole summer looking at the transfer forum. And recently been looking at other teams results, as normal. Not anymore, no point.

I must have missed something... we had 2 poor performances. After Wolves performance there was an improvement which clearly shows that ETH is aware of what is going on and is trying to address the issue. Which is a good sign because he is not in some la la land. But because we didn't take our chances which would have seen us get at least 2-3 goals on a different day suddenly the knives are out and ETH is wank.

I remember back in 2007-2008 season when we started the season supper slow, I believe we couldn't win a game for 3 straight matches and broke our drought from a 30 yard Nani deflected screamer against Spurs(the irony). Next matches we would grind out 1-0 wins until we went on a purple patch that eventually saw us winning the PL and CL double and narrowly missing out on the treble(feck you Clattenburg and Distin). Which goes to show that if we were to judge that season by the first 7-8 games, Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez and Nani couldn't score to save their lives. And yet we ended the season as the teams with most goals. And mind you this was a team that was already settled and littered with veteran PL and CL winners.

Now, I'm not comparing ETH to SAF in any way, but what I am saying is how about we as fans wait for at least Matchday 6 or 7 before we start taking the forks out. I understand that there is a lot of things that aren't exactly clicking, but I trust ETH to amend those. Also we need time to click: with De Gea's departure we have completely restructured our buildup phase and are now playing a higher line than last season. Clearly our players need to get used to it because the hoof ball and the lower defensive line have affected everything: from pressing patterns, to defensive structures. There is also now more emphasis on the build up from the back. Our players are now going to be expected to receive the ball in uncomfortable positions and be able to progress it.

All of this takes time, but I trust ETH knows what he is doing. This is why I brought up the 2007-2008 example above. Sometime you need 4-5 matchdays for the tactics to click.

I don't believe for one second that the man who had a plan for every urgency last year(Ronaldo, Maguire, congested fixtures, major injuries) has now just thrown in the towel and is winging it. Let's be more patient and trust our manager.

I was this guy's biggest fan but he's starting to piss me off. All we hear about his tactics is the press. That's all we hear, best transition team bla bla. His whole fecking tactics revolve around us NOT having the ball. Maybe we should concentrate on not losing the ball so much and what we should be doing with the ball when we actually have it.

Everybody needs to chill the feck out

Poch has twice the players than we have, way better club support and yet he got HUMILIATED by 10-player West Ham today.

Meanwhile, Ten Hag cannot even get rid of the likes of Maguire, McT, Donny and others to sign Amrabat, a CB, and at least loan second striker because our club is run by morons, and EtH is suddenly not good enough? For feck's sake, he is still the manager who got us trophy and 3rd place, despite playing with Wout Weghorst most of the season.

Have some faith (and common sense). We are lucky to have EtH. Best thing that ever happened to us since sir Alex, and two lousy games do not change that.

We should have had that game wrapped up in the first half. We would be talking differently if those chances had been taken and FFS, a clear PK.

2nd half was awful though, no coherence and random balls into the box.

Not liking the Mount-Casemiro-Bruno setup also so far. We had better balance with Fred in there.

He needs to make sure the wingers help our defensively if he likes the full backs to tuck inside. Luke Shaw was in our penalty box which allowed them all the space in the world to come inside the box. Garnacho did run back but it was too late.

I think some of the onus is on the directors as well. Whether ETH fully trusts the scouts or not, he shouldn't have full autonomy either way on targets and signings. That strategy never works, and even if ETH was a brilliant evaluator he doesn't even have the time to sit and try to unearth hidden gems from the Brazilian league. Being a manager is a difficult job as it is, but being the manager and basically a DOF is impossible I don't care who you are.

Will say it again he should have at least heard Rangnick out on players to bring in. Yes he wasn't a good enough coach,however he certainly has an eye for talent

Our attack. Jesus Christ.

MANUTD ••• Rashford-Højlund-Antony

ARSENAL ••• Martinelli-Jesus-Saka

LIVERPOOL ••• Diaz-Nunez-Salah

SPURS ••• Son- Ricarlison- kulusevski

MANCITY ••• Grealish- Haaland-Silva

It’s the worst out of everyone above if all fit. Even spurs attack is better than us as they are more experienced. We have only Rashford who could be reliable but not everytime or every season. Other that that it’s Antony and a 20 yr old kid.

PS - Kept out Chelsea as I have no idea who they have yet and who are the starters if all fit.

Real pressure season for ETH. He got the players he asked for. Brighton and Spurs are playing much better football than us with a tighter budget. Even a toothless Wolves outplayed us. Would give him until the end of the season to wait for the end results. If the team don't end up with more goals than last season and fail to qualify for UCL, then I wouldn't mind if the club calls for the sack.

Real pressure season for ETH. He got the players he asked for. Brighton and Spurs are playing much better football than us with a tighter budget. Even a toothless Wolves outplayed us. Would give him until the end of the season to wait for the end results. If the team don't end up with more goals than last season and fail to qualify for UCL, then I wouldn't mind if the club calls for the sack.
We have no idea what and who he asked for.

But if we are speculating, let's assume that he very likely also asked for: Amrabat, Pavard, and a senior striker in addition to Hojlund. Neither of which did he get and all of whom we clearly desperately need. So, no - he did not get what he asked for, there is no evidence of it

We have no idea what and who he asked for.

But if we are speculating, let's assume that he very likely also asked for: Amrabat, Pavard, and a senior striker in addition to Hojlund. Neither of which did he get and all of whom we clearly desperately need. So, no - he did not get what he asked for, there is no evidence of it

He defo wanted Kane and Kim.

Last edited:
Our attack. Jesus Christ.

MANUTD ••• Rashford-Højlund-Antony

ARSENAL ••• Martinelli-Jesus-Saka

LIVERPOOL ••• Diaz-Nunez-Salah

SPURS ••• Son- Ricarlison- kulusevski

MANCITY ••• Grealish- Haaland-Silva

It’s the worst out of everyone above if all fit. Even spurs attack is better than us as they are more experienced. We have only Rashford who could be reliable but not everytime or every season. Other that that it’s Antony and a 20 yr old kid.

PS - Kept out Chelsea as I have no idea who they have yet and who are the starters if all fit.

I do not agree at all. Højlund need to make his first appearance for starters. Not sure if you are trolling now.

People will think me crazy but I think we should consider playing Maguire in LCB with Varane in RCB. Thus, one of them can push up to midfield.
Varane can't pass and is shaky in possession while Maguire is too immobile.

This is a crazy suggestion indeed. Lindelof and Martinez, however, are both safe on the ball and mobile enough to push up to midfield.

My biggest concern with EtH is that having had a year I wouldn’t expect this squad to be anywhere near finished but I would expect our 2 best attackers, Bruno & Rashford to be playing in their best positions week on week with the rest of the attack being made to fit around them.

Bruno produced historic numbers at 10 & Rashford just had a career year from LW, neither should be playing anywhere else for us unless you’re seeing out a comfortable win & want to mess about.

I suppose my concern is when the pressure builds, how this works for ETH and how the club and to an extent, the media, reacts. ETH is a hard-nosed, bit of a disciplinarian, and in the first season, this has worked well.. alongside his coaching ability. We needed that, desperately. But, I just hope he can get enough of his own players in, with his own mentality, who can deal with a series of difficult results. Because over the last decade, we have seen Utd players simply down-tools as it were.. and we cannot have that.

We have to stick with ETH, but he also has to show some flexibility... and that may mean admitting some errors, and making some changes (tactically). He cannot just keep saying

"... we simply must not do this...."

Haaland does what a CF should do first and foremost before pressing, tracking back or whatever new age bollocks: convert chances into goals. He does that in numbers and with a consistency that Rashford doesn't. In fairness to Marcus, we all know he isn't a CF, so the comparison will always be harsh on him.

De Bruyne is a significantly better player than Bruno, he can do anything he does better (bar penalties) while not displaying any of his flaws. Maybe I'm being generous since 1) I don't watch him anywhere near as much as Bruno, 2) it is typically in big games and 3) in better company, but my take is de Bruyne is a player that can control and dominate games while Bruno is an indisciplined mercurial type with occasional flashes of brilliance.

De Bruyne is a better player than Bruno, but he's not a player who barely loses the ball as you think. He takes a lot of risks with his passing too and can be fairly erratic with his passes as well.

Their passing accuracy isn't too dissimilar at club level and De Bruyne's played for teams that dominate possession far more than Bruno's teams have.

I was this guy's biggest fan but he's starting to piss me off. All we hear about his tactics is the press. That's all we hear, best transition team bla bla. His whole fecking tactics revolve around us NOT having the ball. Maybe we should concentrate on not losing the ball so much and what we should be doing with the ball when we actually have it.

Being the best team in transition doesn't mean you don't have the ball.

Liverpool under klopp have been one of the best teams in transition in world football and they still try to dominate the ball.

So the question is why are they not doing what they're instructed to do. Why are some individuals half arsing things?
Because, and here is the crazy thing, fresh systems on a squad often take longer than a pre-season to fully bed in.

From the outside, it seems like ETH isn't using a system to coach and maximise his best players strengths I.e. Rashford and Fermandes.

For a start, that playing system; 4-3-3, doesn't suit these players. Rashford playing as a lone striker particularly is reductive. Play him upfront in a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 system then he becomes one of the worlds best players.

One thing thats starting to annoy me about ETH is his insistance on signing Eredivisie/Dutch players.

I understand these are the people he knows best and thinks he can get the most out of but isnt this limiting our options? All the exciting young players around Europe that other teams seem to scout and snap up while we stick to the "safe" option of the managers ex league and countrymen?

Martinez, Onana, Antony, Malacia, Weghorst and now possibly Ryan Gravenberch.

Being the best team in transition doesn't mean you don't have the ball.

Liverpool under klopp have been one of the best teams in transition in world football and they still try to dominate the ball.

Liverpool were a different beast than us at their peak. Yes a great, quick transition team, but they had much more control over games. They pressed much harder than us and you could see a plan from the get go - which is something I can't say for us after 12+ months and loads of money spent.

Regardless, a year ago Klopp said that his team needed to become more dominant in possession and he has tried to change the way they play a bit. But we haven't even come anywhere near the bit that made Liverpool so good, let alone being able to control a game. It's not even worth mentioning us in the same breath as Liverpool as it's night and day.

Our idea of being good in transition seems to be long balls over the defence for Rashford and Garnacho to run on to. Other than that I just don't see anything else particularly good about what we do.

One thing thats starting to annoy me about ETH is his insistance on signing Eredivisie/Dutch players.

I understand these are the people he knows best and thinks he can get the most out of but isnt this limiting our options? All the exciting young players around Europe that other teams seem to scout and snap up while we stick to the "safe" option of the managers ex league and countrymen?

Has been a huge concern of mine. You can already picture a situation where ETH is sacked and the next manager is trying to shift some of these players or sign players of a universally recognised higher calibre, as other do.

The other issue is that we'll be absolutely skint for a while, so the hypothetical next manager is going to have to try to get something out of what we have.

Malacia was an astute buy at his fee for a LB, Weghorst was dumpster diving because no one was available, Onana was the best choice for a GK we could have gone for.

Antony is literally the only transfer I dislike, which ones do you think are poor?

Yeah Chelsea didn’t just dominate for the sake of possession they could have scored 5+ goals easily and missed a pen etc, it was one of those games that if played again they’d win it 9/10 times but fair play to West Ham they were much better in the second half
If we got the pen we rightly should have received in the first first half our Xg would have been over 2 against Spurs - similar to Chelsea. We were also playing a better team with a better coach and didn’t have the luxury of playing against 10 men for 30 minutes.

I suppose my concern is when the pressure builds, how this works for ETH and how the club and to an extent, the media, reacts. ETH is a hard-nosed, bit of a disciplinarian, and in the first season, this has worked well.. alongside his coaching ability. We needed that, desperately. But, I just hope he can get enough of his own players in, with his own mentality, who can deal with a series of difficult results. Because over the last decade, we have seen Utd players simply down-tools as it were.. and we cannot have that.

We have to stick with ETH, but he also has to show some flexibility... and that may mean admitting some errors, and making some changes (tactically). He cannot just keep saying

"... we simply must not do this...."

We certainly did see some players 'down tools' with both Jose and Ole. But I am hopeful that those players are no longer at the club such that this is less likely now.

The performances against Wolves and Tottenham were not good. But I am prepared to sit on my hands for a bit longer until things hopefully settle down. Because I do believe that the manager knows what he is doing. The question is do his players understand.

Malacia was an astute buy at his fee for a LB, Weghorst was dumpster diving because no one was available, Onana was the best choice for a GK we could have gone for.

Antony is literally the only transfer I dislike, which ones do you think are poor?
I will keep posting this. Of his nine signings, 7 were at some point from Dutch league. 3 former Ajax players and 4 who played against him, including interestingly Mount who had a loan year at Vitesse and apparently played well against Ajax. Its Ole over again, where we sign players on the managers recommendation and scouting is ignored, perhaps even worse. Antony we can see is not good enough, lacks the basic attributes incliding a right foot. Weghorst was a disaster. Mount is not the player we needed and we still lack a mobile CM who can play alongside Casimero. We have missed out on McAllister, Rice and others, not least while obsessing over FDJ (another Ajax player) who clearly did not want to come here. While ETH works on his press any team that breaks through can motor through the middle of the park.

I will keep posting this. Of his nine signings, 7 were at some point from Dutch league. 3 former Ajax players and 4 who played against him, including interestingly Mount who had a loan year at Vitesse and apparently played well against Ajax. Its Ole over again, where we sign players on the managers recommendation and scouting is ignored, perhaps even worse. Antony we can see is not good enough, lacks the basic attributes incliding a right foot. Weghorst was a disaster. Mount is not the player we needed and we still lack a mobile CM who can play alongside Casimero. We have missed out on McAllister, Rice and others, not least while obsessing over FDJ (another Ajax player) who clearly did not want to come here. While ETH works on his press any team that breaks through can motor through the middle of the park.
Keep posting it - it doesn't mean you have a leg to stand on.

Ole made blind signings based on no tactical or coaching ability - that is feck all like Ten Hag.

Ten Hag has a specific system and is operating in a foreign league where he'll need to get his own players in. Sir Alex Ferguson actually credited him for this outlook last week in a rare interview.

Mount is a signing I really like because his work rate and ability is severely underrated here. Martinez is already a fan favourite, Malacia is absolutely fine as a squad player and Onana is the best GK choice we could have gone for.

If you have an actual stick to beat him with then sure, have a moan, but don't complain because Antony is struggling and now you want to extrapolate the whole thing on Ten Hag's wish for working with players he's familiar with.

The only one I can say for sure has been a success is Martinez.

Onana looks very promising but its still too early, he looks like he has a few big howlers in him.

Malacia was meant to improve us at LB but cant get ahead of Shaw, who we already had.

Antony has been one of our worst signings in the last decade, along with Maguire. I cant even see him improving that much to a point we can justify his price. (You can argue the manager doesnt negeotiate the price BUT he can say when we are spending too much and its time to pull out of the deal, which he didnt)

Weghorst was awful. His job was to score goals, in the end i think he scored 2/3 in 6 months.

Now with Ryan Gravenberch, i've seen him play a few times and not been impressed once. Looks like he could be another "squad player". Not someone who will improve us.

Keep posting it - it doesn't mean you have a leg to stand on.

Ole made blind signings based on no tactical or coaching ability - that is feck all like Ten Hag.

Ten Hag has a specific system and is operating in a foreign league where he'll need to get his own players in. Sir Alex Ferguson actually credited him for this outlook last week in a rare interview.

Mount is a signing I really like because his work rate and ability is severely underrated here. Martinez is already a fan favourite, Malacia is absolutely fine as a squad player and Onana is the best GK choice we could have gone for.

Unless you have an actual stick to beat him with then don't moan, but don't complain because Antony is struggling and now you want to extrapolate the whole thing on Ten Hag's wish for working with players he's familiar with.

Status
Not open for further replies.