Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep it happened at Ajax. Their fans were doubting him then all of a sudden it just clicked.

On last season, ten Hag did a great job navigating a very tough season. Our fixture list would've been bad in a normal season but adding a World Cup in the middle of it made it much worse. I'm not even going to get into all the other bullshit that was going on at the club too so to come out of that with a 3rd place finish and trophy was a great achievement. The narrative we didn't play good football last season is total bollocks by the way. We put in some great performances, some of the best football we've seen since SAF. He deserved more this transfer window. I have no problem with the players we signed but we should be signing more and building on what we have.

It was however on of our players that made that happen. Ajax had a problem on the 6 position. It wasn't until Lasse Schone approached ETH and said he could play there as well that ETH decided to give that a go.

Yes he does. Fact is he does not get everything right and people should stop acting like he does

Never said he does. But I find the complete over reaction two games into the season a bit over the top.

He's still working with most of the same shit sqaud wise and when that shit is what you are up against in training every day then there's only a certain level you can reach.

He does seem to be a good coach and possibly up to the task. Clearly, this is the hardest job in world football so I think we should keep him unless somebody better becomes available. Unfortunately, the only coach who is better but not at a rival is Zidane. So if we dont want to get Pep or Klopp (which incidentally, I think we should consider more seriously than we seem to), then its just waiting for Zidane. But its important we not make the same mistake with Zidane that we made with both Pep and Klopp: not just sit there nursing a drink until they came to us asking to manage us, but rather be in touch with him preemptively so that when he's ready to come back, he comes to us.
There's no chance Zidane would be interested.

I have seen it suggested on Facebook that he should give the leeches an ultimatum of either give me the midfielder and backup ST or I will walk away from this mess

I swear part of this fanbase enjoys being unhappy and negative all the time.

United winning games must actually make them cry tears of blood

Hojlund is 20 and has massive potential. He's going to make a big difference but we also have to be patient. Onana is class.

I'm unsure on Mount. Not every transfer is always a success. Nobody gets it right all the time. It's been 2 games though.

The ones being childish are the knee jerk reactionary Muppets on here losing their minds after a slow start to the season.

It’s more people had hope for real fist at a title charge and it’s already obvious for another year…it won’t be this team. Yes it was never likely but it’s nice to dream for more than 2 games. What is irritating is the manager has given away nothing interviews since he came, words but no great shakes at all. I don’t tune in to them as they really are meaningless. Then the week of Maguire’s expected departure he lays down the gauntlet with a more call to arms that real men stay and fight! I listened after reading about it thinking eh. Within 48 hrs Maguire is staying to do just that! It was Insane decision making to talk like that if he wanted him gone. After 18 months of saying Jack all. Dropping points in opening games yep that’s fine the team on paper smells of that likelihood.

I think it's a very valid concern when people say he still doesn't have a defined style of play

I get it you have no response to the question, because there's no one, as Ten Hag has no style of play and no strategy to even discuss, so that's the only way to walk away from this without embarrassing yourself.

Nope, I just can't be arsed defending him to a guy who is bashing ETH while praising Klopp here but has spent the last number of years in his own thread saying he'll never be good enough, he needs to be sacked etc etc etc..

Nope, I just can't be arsed defending him to a guy who is bashing ETH while praising Klopp here but has spent the last number of years in his own thread saying he'll never be good enough, he needs to be sacked etc etc etc..

I appreciate the free time and efforts you put into searching through my old posts from 2 years ago rather than replying on the argument in front of you. You must be obsessed. Congratulations.

I have seen it suggested on Facebook that he should give the leeches an ultimatum of either give me the midfielder and backup ST or I will walk away from this mess
Why are you are posting a suggestion from a random bloke on Facebook? Not a report not even a shit rumour from a shit source, A suggestion? :lol:

I appreciate the free time and efforts you put into searching through my old posts from 2 years ago rather than replying on the argument in front of you. You must be obsessed. Congratulations.

Someone else did the leg work, I just took a quick look and realised that seeing as you claimed to be so right about Klopp, but while also saying the opposite in his thread at the some time it was just a waste of time even bothering.

Why are you are posting a suggestion from a random bloke on Facebook? Not a report not even a shit rumour from a shit source, A suggestion? :lol:

Maybe he should do that much like Jassim needs to give them an ultimatum in terms of offers

He needs to stop trying whatever it is he is and understand the players' limitations.

Antony needs to be dropped, he's not performing, our midfielders can't keep the ball and need to be instructed to restrict the Hollywood balls. Casimero needs support.

We need to use the box midfield the bigger teams have switched to.

Onana

Varane Martinez Shaw

Casemiro McT/New #6/8

Mount Bruno

Dalot Hojlund Rashford

Stop this nonsense with a front 6 all in a flat line, I'm not sure what that is attempting, players need to maintain position and create better/more controlling shape.

These players are naturally good at counterattacks, they won't lose that ability. But teams have figured that part of us out, we need a system that brings us more control.

Someone else did the leg work, I just took a quick look and realised that seeing as you claimed to be so right about Klopp, but while also saying the opposite in his thread at the some time it was just a waste of time even bothering.
It's not the first time this week it's been pointed out he's completely contradicted himself on previous posts.

Bold coming from someone who has enough time to look through the old posts of the one he's talking to.

Congratulations again on your free time and how you're using it.

Klopp’s league form in the first couple of seasons was mediocre. But he did reach the Europa final in his first full season and the CL final in his 2nd full season. And still there were enough people laughing at him how he can’t win finals.
So everyone has to deal with criticism and ETH has made enough questionable decisions on and off the pitch.
However he has also made enough good and tough decisions. He can’t get everything right in such a short period. Moving forward he will be successful but only if he can admit and correct his own mistakes as well. It’s much easier to drop, correct or get rid off previous manager(s)‘ mistakes and signings than your own.

Finding players through newspaper headlines and social media buzz seems to be the extent to which this club scouts. Always reactive, never proactive. No infrastructure for any manager to build on. Whatever winning footballing culture once existed within those walls, long since dead and buried. Changing middle management (a.k.a. the manager) again and again does nothing substantial. Changes need to happen on the very top.

Finding players through newspaper headlines and social media buzz seems to be the extent to which this club scouts. Always reactive, never proactive. No infrastructure for any manager to build on. Whatever winning footballing culture once existed within those walls, long since dead and buried. Changing middle management (a.k.a. the manager) again and again does nothing substantial. Changes need to happen on the very top.
The club would unironically have a better hit rate basing their purchases on Luckyscout's suggestions on here than on whatever combination of the manager's instinct and dubious or minimal input the scouts are being allowed to offer is currently responsible. At least they'd be low cost players and we could in principle sell some of them on...

If we didn’t have players who joined because of him I think he would do it.

Bold coming from someone who has enough time to look through the old posts of the one he's talking to.

Congratulations again on your free time and how you're using it.

Yet your here spouting the same sort of drivel about ETH. That can only mean he's going to be just as shit as Klopp then.

Feel free to point out the positives from the start of the season. We’re all ready and willing to jump on the bandwagon.
It’s neither positive nor negative.

It’s just a beginning of season with 1W1L and in the loss we dominated for the 1st half and could have been winning easily. But we didn’t because of glaring finishing issues and then we let Tottenham back in the game with our bad defending, partly because our wingers didn’t track back and our fullbacks brains switching off .

Some was good some was bad. But in here there’s no nuance. Everyone is shite, everyone is incompetent, there are no tactics, and so on.

You're missing a key point, Klopp wasn't spunking hundreds of millions on players from the Dutch league. He relied on his scouting network to find players like Salah, Firmino, Wijnaldum, VVD, Alisson etc
You're missing a key point, Klopp wasn't spunking hundreds of millions on players from the Dutch league. He relied on his scouting network to find players like Salah, Firmino, Wijnaldum, VVD, Alisson etc
Correct me if I am wrong but neither has Ten Hag.

Casimeiro 5 European cups in Spain.
Onana a previous Ten Hag player but played in CL final with Inter last season.
Erickson ex pl and with Inter, proven PL player.
Anthony (Dutch league 80m).
Malacia is (Dutch league 13m).
Hojilund Italian league.
Mount Chelsea CL league winner.
Martinez (Dutch league).
Two loans from Turkey and Bayern.

3 players, one is a back up to Shaw. One was one of the best centre backs in the league and Anthony needs to up his game.

Credit to those sensible posters who got into the mud to with the mob to defend ten Hag. I suggest just wait until the 10 game mark and see where the mob is at that point given ten Hag has turned things around before.

We aren't talking about results. We're talking about football played. Liverpool played very good football back then and their issues that costed them points were clear. We're playing shit football with no strategy or tactics, and signing awful players that we can't fit into the team. As I said you can celebrate your top 4 and League Cup but United hasn't shown any signs they can go anywhere beyond winning the most pointless trophy of the season.

You can on repeating the same points over and over which is just pure and blind optimism without actual reasons for how United is moving forward under Ten Hag except "3rd and League Cup". When you have an argument for the current United's improvement trajectory, you can come again.
They weren't playing very good football consistently FFS. It was year 1 so it was fine, but let's not rewrite history. I'm not putting 3-0 to Watford for nothing, they got fully outplayed and created feck all. This wasn't a case of they looked great in xG that season. They were inconsistent and got a lot of shit results. United was also inconsistent but grinded out better results, but also we had our fair share of very good performances.

Blind optimism with zero reason, ok bud. 3rd place and a cup win with the most games played in Europe last season. Go and be miserable somewhere else. The feck else you want. 2nd most points in the league after the world cup. Only 3xG for between us and City who are top since the world Cup. City top on xPts after world cup with 52.11, and then we were just 1.37 behind 2nd place Newcastle where we had 43.98 in that period (Brighton, Liverpool also in that space). With the caveat that we played 10-20 games more than all of those clubs.

If you can't comprehend that fixture congestion plays a big part, that we had the worst by far, and despite that every stat, metric and underlying stat has us as one of the top teams last season in addition to, you know, actually winning a trophy and games. Yet you continue to whinge and be fecking miserable. Log off.

Feel free to point out the positives from the start of the season. We’re all ready and willing to jump on the bandwagon.

I mean there are some positives.

We did in fact win the first of the two games, something we didn't manage last season. And the first half performance against Spurs was fine, it was just the second half that went to shit. And even then we were unlucky not to come away with anything given the chances we had and the penalty we could have been given.

It's not like it has been irredeemably abysmal, even if that's the tone some are striking on here.

Good manager. Not good scout and DOF.
For all the hate Rangnick has received, he was right that we need to restructure the whole club, yet we still let the manager and the ceo to decide for everything.

Yeah obviously he wouldn't admit it but made a huge mistake not giving Rangnick time of day as guy knew a good player

It’s more people had hope for real fist at a title charge and it’s already obvious for another year…it won’t be this team. Yes it was never likely but it’s nice to dream for more than 2 games. What is irritating is the manager has given away nothing interviews since he came, words but no great shakes at all. I don’t tune in to them as they really are meaningless. Then the week of Maguire’s expected departure he lays down the gauntlet with a more call to arms that real men stay and fight! I listened after reading about it thinking eh. Within 48 hrs Maguire is staying to do just that! It was Insane decision making to talk like that if he wanted him gone. After 18 months of saying Jack all. Dropping points in opening games yep that’s fine the team on paper smells of that likelihood.
I've said it a bunch but we were never going to be in a title charge this year barring a huge slice of luck. That's still the case. It's why I was against Kane coming. We just aren't ready for it.

You've got to be on a wind-up. So it's his fault we can't sell dross squad players on big contracts that were sorted years before he arrived? It's his fault that Antony and Mount cost what they did? It's his fault we couldn't even sort out a suitable loan striker last season? His fault the squad was so limited in so many areas? His fault the club is mired in an ownership snafu that has meant transfer funds are unnecessarily limited. OK.

With a proper ownership Harry Kane would have won us the game yesterday and Kim Min-Jae would have helped lock Spurs out.

Can we also agree it's his fault he won a trophy? Or is that somebody else's doing?

You can't be serious.

Antony was on 20k a week at Ajax. It was ten hag who identified him and pushed the board to sign him up at all costs. Antony is now on over 200k per week. So yes it's his damn fault because he should have told the board to walk away as Antony is a 30 million player at best.

No one held a gun to ten hag's head and made him identity mount as a priority target when we have no deputy for Casimero. Our first bid for Mount at 50 mil got rejected it was at that point we should have walked away but yet again Ten Hag wanted him at all costs. That's on him, if the board stepped in and vetoed, fans would be crying that he wasn't backed

Instead of wasting 100 million Antony, and deciding to make do with sancho, he could have used that money to buy a world-class striker last summer. Instead of spending a total of 110million on both Hojlund(who is injured) and mount, he maybe could have pushed the board to prioritised that money into buying Kane or Osihemen who are valued around that mark.

And you really don't get it do you? it's not even about one player making the difference, it's about the whole team from the defence, midfield and attack working in union. Football has moved away from teams depending on one player to bail them out of trouble, we tried that method under Ole and we got found out by teams who play like a team. It's about the whole being greater than the sums of its parts. We could have kane kim min jae or mbappe, with no system and cohesion we will stil be going nowhere .

There is no cohesion from midfield to attack and the players look just as lost on the ball in the final third when teams sit back as we did under Ole. The only thing he has got right is the defence, but he overlooked the midfield so we end up disjointed unbalanced with a 30 year old casimero having to do two roles as acting as a shield for the defence while attempting to be at the end of attacks. It just doesn't work and you don't have to be a football manager to see it.

As for the mickey mouse cup trophy.... wow, if that is what you believe to be the pinnacle of what man united should achieve then no wonder the standards at this club have gone to the dogs, when fans are satisfied with winning the caroboa cup(I can't even spell it right because it's so meaningless) as some kind of proof that we have an elite tier manager then God help us.

Dunno mate, these posts from 2017 kinda contradict that you could see what Klopp was doing (and there's plenty more):
:lol:

Same poster who vehemently defended Mourinho and then pretended he always wanted him sacked. He probably put you on the ignore list after this post.

It’s neither positive nor negative.

It’s just a beginning of season with 1W1L and in the loss we dominated for the 1st half and could have been winning easily. But we didn’t because of glaring finishing issues and then we let Tottenham back in the game with our bad defending, partly because our wingers didn’t track back and our fullbacks brains switching off .

Some was good some was bad. But in here there’s no nuance. Everyone is shite, everyone is incompetent, there are no tactics, and so on.
I am all against the overreaction in here, but as long as stuff like this is written, nobody should be shocked when this continues to spriral. We lost 2:0 and it was a deserved result. A 2:1 loss would sound more fitting but apart from that, Spurs have been better than us. In 1st half, we weren't better than them, we were less shit than in 2nd half which made the game a little more open.

Status
Not open for further replies.