Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know things are bad when we're hoping that a kid from the reserves who had a decent pre-season and a 20 year old who's only scored 9 league goals are expected to be our saviours.

The lack of a top striker, or indeed any half decent fit striker, is killing this team

This is a disastrous take.

Mourinho was incredibly toxic for this club and most fans couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Ole's 'clear style' was a grim kind of low block counterattacking and it was clear he was completely out of his depth. He won nothing. Again, even Ole fans, a dwindling group, had had enough by the end.

Ten Hag had a successful first season and has barely begun his second, and already the revisionists are out in force.

Nonsense

Eth has had ample funds to buy a top striker, he decided to allocate his transfer kitty to buying antony for 100 million and half of this season's budget on Mount. Tottenham just lost their world class striker and their new manager doesn't have problems with getting his team playing in a cohesive and organised way to score goals with only richarlson as his only main stay striker.

There are no excuses for the shit that is being served up. He has this season to prove he's got what it takes and if the results continue to nosedive and we struggle to win away from home against the top 9 then he needs to be moved on. He's spent over 400 million for christ sake, it's no ones fault but his own that we don't have a world class striker

What? Losing to a side that lost their best player by far and to a new manager who has no experience of this league or any top league after spending loads himself, signing his own players and going into the second season? That’s shambolic.

That second sentence is so daft. So what city lose? They win every fecking trophy too. Did pep lose 7-0 also to pool? Did pep get smashed by us too? God awful stupid comparison.
It's spurs away. It's a tough game, Kane or no Kane. They have a good team and it's still a tough game even if they aren't gonna be a title challenging team. So fecking what if Ange hasn't managed in the prem before? He's also a good manager and it doesn't mean he's an amateur. Kulusevski, richarlison and son vs Garnacho, Rashford and Antony? Only Rashford is a better player there (IMO) and he's a LW anyway.

Are losses not allowed to happen anymore? fecks sake people use your fecking brains. The Pep comment is what it is. They lose to Spurs away every year. People calling it shambolic to lose away to Spurs are laughable as of anybody can have a perfect record in any big game.

You know things are bad when we're hoping that a kid from the reserves who had a decent pre-season and a 20 year old who's only scored 9 league goals are expected to be our saviours.
Relying on the unknown is always the last bastion of hope when nothing else is working. It's why we see so many people calling for kids from the u21s to play whenever we're having a bad season

Liverpool in January and February 2017, Klopp's second season:

PL:

A Sunderland 2-2
A Man Utd 1-1
H Swansea 2-3
H Chelsea 1-1
A Hull 0-2
H Tottenham 2-0
A Leicester 1-3

1W 3D 3L

They also lost both games against Southampton in the semi finals of the League Cup 1-0, drew against Plymouth in the 3rd round of the FA cup before winning the replay, and lost in the 4th round at home to Wolves.

Yup; things don't look rosy right now but he has credit in the bank from last season. I'm still fully backing him, but I'm also worried what tactical direction he's attempting to take this team, because the early signs aren't promising.

People seem to forget that he literally just got us to 3rd place (second highest points total post-Fergie), won us a cup and got us to another final. Was it a flawless season? Nope. But it was a relatively good first season.

The problem is; there will be added pressure this season and his signings - Antony and Mount in particular - will be expected to step up. I'm not confident of that right now, but it's obviously early days into a new season.

The feck, it was nothing about being salty. They had a shit first season with Klopp with a mix of shit results and good results. Reasonable fans knew it was a process so knew not to panic after mixed performances and results (3-0 to Watford, 3-1 to Swansea, losing 2 cup finals for examples). Knee jerk fans like yourself probably jumped on the bandwagon sure. It was easy to see then that there were signs to be optimistic about just like reasonable fans can now extremely easily see lots of signs to be optimistic about.

But you go on and be dramatic.

We aren't talking about results. We're talking about football played. Liverpool played very good football back then and their issues that costed them points were clear. We're playing shit football with no strategy or tactics, and signing awful players that we can't fit into the team. As I said you can celebrate your top 4 and League Cup but United hasn't shown any signs they can go anywhere beyond winning the most pointless trophy of the season.

You can on repeating the same points over and over which is just pure and blind optimism without actual reasons for how United is moving forward under Ten Hag except "3rd and League Cup". When you have an argument for the current United's improvement trajectory, you can come again.

No it was clear back then as well they were going in the right direction but we were too salty to admit. Everyone knew their issues were the defense and GK leaking goals but nothing to do with their playstyle. United isn't going anywhere in comparison.

Wait ? Not like the decision of sacking Ten Hag is in my hands anyway.

But I don't have to be a genius to see that with that transfer strategy and tactics United isn't going anywhere any time soon beyond finishing top 4. People who like mediocrity can enjoy this though.

Was it clear when he had Stephen Cualker up top? Or when he was playing Ragnar Klavan at the back?

ETH is working under more strict financial conditions than Klopp ever did. He really lucked out with the fee they got for Coutinho so that they could reinvest in the squad.

ETH needs to sell to buy, but nobody wants Utds players because they are on over inflated wages and aren't worth the financial outlay even for a relatively low transfer fee.

Was it clear when he had Stephen Cualker up top? Or when he was playing Ragnar Klavan at the back?

ETH is working under more strict financial conditions than Klopp ever did. He really lucked out with the fee they got for Coutinho so that they could reinvest in the squad.

ETH needs to sell to buy, but nobody wants Utds players because they are on over inflated wages and aren't worth the financial outlay even for a relatively low transfer fee.
We’ve spent a lot of money under ETH

Eh? Ten Hag has spent £400m and he's only been here for 14 months

This manager has a history of people thinking he's got it wrong and isn't up to the job, then he smashes it.

I'm hoping the same happens here

Klavan is a fricking legend, don't name his name peasant!

ETH is working under more strick financial conditions than Klopp ever did. He really lucked out with the fee they got for Coutinho so that they could reinvest in the squad.

It was clear ever since his first half a season that Liverpool are heading in the right direction despite the results. His style of play was solid and you can see his strategy on the pitch. The positions that needed reinforcement were clear and once they were reinforced they got the results.

United have zero strategy. They have no tactical plan on the pitch and are just mindlessly splashing ton of money on players then struggle to fit them in.

Finally, is the bold part for real ? Do you know how much money United have wasted on Casemiro, Antony and Mount ? Klopp couldn't pay anywhere close to what we spent on a single player of these lot until he sold Coutinho. Ten Hag already spent ton of money without selling much.

We aren't talking about results. We're talking about football played. Liverpool played very good football back then and their issues that costed them points were clear. We're playing shit football with no strategy or tactics, and signing awful players that we can't fit into the team. As I said you can celebrate your top 4 and League Cup but United hasn't shown any signs they can go anywhere beyond winning the most pointless trophy of the season.

You can on repeating the same points over and over which is just pure and blind optimism without actual reasons for how United is moving forward under Ten Hag except "3rd and League Cup". When you have an argument for the current United's improvement trajectory, you can come again.

Dunno mate, these posts from 2017 kinda contradict that you could see what Klopp was doing (and there's plenty more):

Away from him being idiot, tactically wise he's really overrated manager tbh.
Yep. I have found his reading of the game and subs really useless. He has one routine plan of high pressing but I'm struggling to find any other deep tactics he has done for them so far.

I don't think he'll survive much in any other big club who cares about trophies.
Overrated, stubborn and clueless manager as well. This guy will simple never reach the same ceiling of the top class managers as Jose, Pep, Carlo or even Conte. A second-tier manager for second-tier clubs. That's it. It's not harsh on him at all btw.

Honestly, Zidane or whoever else people are suggesting isn't going to change the style on their own. Only top of the line Sporting Director with modern playing strategy who has power to sell unwanted players at loss regardless of book value, overrule manager preferences around unsuitable player profiles and pressure them into coaching that style (obviously there'd have to be a buy-in from manager turned head-coach at the start of SD's tenure) can change this. So many discussions, so many articles pinpointing that this isn't a 'managers' game any more but a SD and head coach in line with broader Sporting structure where everyone has to buy into profile, where you have to always have an advantage in terms of scouting for potential given market rates for established players, and still our club's incapable of it and people still get so fixated with the 'manager'.

The manager is whatever power he's granted, above and beyond normal coaching preferences; Pep would definitely improve the side if he was forced to coach it right now at gunpoint, but there's only so far he could take it without the club bringing in players with the technical and physical profile to play a modern game - you can't get away with lumps or weak players without the ability to get away from press, hold it whilst looking for the pass, accelerate into space. Even the 'small' players Pep coaches or at clubs like Brighton have acceleration as well as natural ability to shield the ball whilst completing a pass they've already identified.

The biggest issue with the Glazers running of the club, setting aside debt, is an inability to hold people accountable as well as spending money to bring in a Director with a recent history of finding the very best young talent and helping a club punch above their weight in terms of style- the whole cost for that isn't much more than average priced player, if we take into account salary and buy out, and it would not only help us prioritize the already existing best scouting reports for appropriate profiles, but also help make the club more attractive to the next Jude Bellingham or whoever when we go in for the player.

EDIT: added to this, when people start doubting how much of this is down to systems-on the pitch and in recruiting around player profiles- they might think about revising their line when Brighton finish above us this season whilst having sold Caicedo and Mac Allister. You can deny it but instinctively you know this is likely to happen...

This manager has a history of people thinking he's got it wrong and isn't up to the job, then he smashes it.

I'm hoping the same happens here
Yep it happened at Ajax. Their fans were doubting him then all of a sudden it just clicked.

On last season, ten Hag did a great job navigating a very tough season. Our fixture list would've been bad in a normal season but adding a World Cup in the middle of it made it much worse. I'm not even going to get into all the other bullshit that was going on at the club too so to come out of that with a 3rd place finish and trophy was a great achievement. The narrative we didn't play good football last season is total bollocks by the way. We put in some great performances, some of the best football we've seen since SAF. He deserved more this transfer window. I have no problem with the players we signed but we should be signing more and building on what we have.

We played some of the best football I have seen us play in many years last season.

Poor start to this one, but I really think fitness and sharpness has a lot to do with it. Lets see how things develop

We’ve spent a lot of money under ETH
Eh? Ten Hag has spent £400m and he's only been here for 14 months
Just the £370 million spent in 12 months.

It was clear ever since his first half a season that Liverpool are heading in the right direction despite the results. His style of play was solid and you can see his strategy on the pitch. The positions that needed reinforcement were clear and once they were reinforced they got the results.

United have zero strategy. They have no tactical plan on the pitch and are just mindlessly splashing ton of money on players then struggle to fit them in.

Finally, is the bold part for real ? Do you know how much money United have wasted on Casemiro, Antony and Mount ? Klopp couldn't pay anywhere close to what we spent on a single player of these lot until he sold Coutinho. Ten Hag already spent ton of money without selling much.

Aye, he has but the market has changed a lot since then, he's signed 6 first team players and not been able to add any depth. Because the club has sold 1 actual first team player? A few have been released. If the club could get their finger out and move players on with ruthlessness he'd be able to get rid of more players and bring a few more in.

He's still trying to work with the wrong tools to achieve his style. Still working with a squad where most of the players have gotten at least 3 managers sacked. He needs more time and more players in, he also needs to be able to get rid of shite like AWB, Dalot, McT, Maguire,Martial and bring in players who are technically capable of bringing up the levels on the pitch, but also on the training pitch.

Aye, he has but the market has changed a lot since then, he's signed 6 first team players and not been able to add any depth. Because the club has sold 1 actual first team player? A few have been released. If the club could get their finger out and move players on with ruthlessness he'd be able to get rid of more players and bring a few more in.

He's still trying to work with the wrong tools to achieve his style. Still working with a squad where most of the players have gotten at least 3 managers sacked. He needs more time and more players in, he also needs to be able to get rid of shite like AWB, Dalot, McT, Maguire,Martial and bring in players who are technically capable of bringing up the levels on the pitch, but also on the training pitch.

Didnt he just give Dalot a new contract?

Didnt he just give Dalot a new contract?

The club did. Protect the market value FC striking again.

Also, as someone else has posted your comments on Klopp from when you could see what he was doing in his first half of as season. It's quite clear that are full of shit.

Klopp is on a different level to Ten Hag but our manager is still a very good one.

We could get rid of him tomorrow, sure. But nothing would change. There’s no silver bullet when you have our footballing structure.

Look at Arsenal. They completely changed their structure and they focus solely on the footballing side now and they’re reaping the rewards.

Ten Hag works with a bunch of numpties above him.

The club did. Protect the market value FC striking again.

Also, as someone else has posted your comments on Klopp from when you could see what he was doing in his first half of as season. It's quite clear that are full of shit.

Someone ? Must be someone on my ignore list because I haven't seen it, so not a big miss for me.

Anyway, I already talked about that above :

No it was clear back then as well they were going in the right direction but we were too salty to admit. Everyone knew their issues were the defense and GK leaking goals but nothing to do with their playstyle. United isn't going anywhere in comparison.

Wait ? Not like the decision of sacking Ten Hag is in my hands anyway.

But I don't have to be a genius to see that with that transfer strategy and tactics United isn't going anywhere any time soon beyond finishing top 4. People who like mediocrity can enjoy this though.

I was way too salty of Klopp going to Liverpool back then because he was one of my biggest candidates for the United job when he was at BVB and when Ferguson left then Moyes sacked, then I found him at our biggest rival while we were stuck with LVG playing insomnia curing football every week. I was trying to convince myself he's failing there when he was playing good football while winning nothing, but it was clear for me they managed to hit the jackpot.

Enlighten us what's Ten Hag's strategy and how did the players he bought fit in such style ?

Struggling to see what the system is to be honest. We still seem to rely on moments than consistent game play.

But also his signings should be based off a system he has started to put in place last season. Not create a new system every season based on signings
I don’t agree with that.

What are you looking for in terms of the system, specifically? The reason you can’t see it is because it’s complicated and isn’t being executed properly yet.

There were also the UCL victory and two UCL finals. And their second was with 97 points. And he was not backed financially to the same level United managers were backed. And actually started from a worse point.

But yes, excuses.
Are you trying to prove our point?

We've spent £1b over 10 years, Ten Hag has had close to £400m of that. What do you think Klopp would have done with £400m? Does any of it involve Antony or the Dutch league?

Yep it happened at Ajax. Their fans were doubting him then all of a sudden it just clicked.

On last season, ten Hag did a great job navigating a very tough season. Our fixture list would've been bad in a normal season but adding a World Cup in the middle of it made it much worse. I'm not even going to get into all the other bullshit that was going on at the club too so to come out of that with a 3rd place finish and trophy was a great achievement. The narrative we didn't play good football last season is total bollocks by the way. We put in some great performances, some of the best football we've seen since SAF. He deserved more this transfer window. I have no problem with the players we signed but we should be signing more and building on what we have.
What were the Ajax fan's doubts? Can anyone enlighten us? Would be interesting to hear. @AjaxCunian

"3rd and League Cup" this.. "3rd and League Cup" that.. so fecking exhausting to see United fans continuously mentioning this as if this is the peak success for United.

We finished top 4 and won the least important cup in England. Basically the least I'll expect from Manchester United .. so ? Embarrassing to keep mentioning this.

United is playing shit football with zero cohesion and strategy behind. We're signing awful players that we have no clue how to use.

Celebrate your top 4 and League cup win but with what we're doing currently we're going nowhere beyond winning the most useless cup in England.

Klopp might have finished 8th in his first half season but it was clear they were building something. United is playing like shit and have zero strategy beyond splashing random money on players that don't fit here and I don't care if you're convincing yourself otherwise.
That stuff about Klopp is just false. How can you finish 8th and yet be clearly building something. So sick of the bs people come out with in favour of that flipping Colgate ad.

He does seem to be a good coach and possibly up to the task. Clearly, this is the hardest job in world football so I think we should keep him unless somebody better becomes available. Unfortunately, the only coach who is better but not at a rival is Zidane. So if we dont want to get Pep or Klopp (which incidentally, I think we should consider more seriously than we seem to), then its just waiting for Zidane. But its important we not make the same mistake with Zidane that we made with both Pep and Klopp: not just sit there nursing a drink until they came to us asking to manage us, but rather be in touch with him preemptively so that when he's ready to come back, he comes to us.
Zidane has been off from football for how long? Has it been 2 years yet? Why did I even feel like he has retired...

Enlighten us what's Ten Hag's strategy and how did the players he bought fit in such style ?

I had a look and saw how even up to recently you were calling for Klopp to be sacked or walk, so given you were so right about him. I have decided you don't know shit and it would be a waste of my time.

He's spent over 400 million for christ sake, it's no ones fault but his own that we don't have a world class striker
You've got to be on a wind-up. So it's his fault we can't sell dross squad players on big contracts that were sorted years before he arrived? It's his fault that Antony and Mount cost what they did? It's his fault we couldn't even sort out a suitable loan striker last season? His fault the squad was so limited in so many areas? His fault the club is mired in an ownership snafu that has meant transfer funds are unnecessarily limited. OK.

With a proper ownership Harry Kane would have won us the game yesterday and Kim Min-Jae would have helped lock Spurs out.

Can we also agree it's his fault he won a trophy? Or is that somebody else's doing?

That stuff about Klopp is just false. How can you finish 8th and yet be clearly building something. So sick of the bs people come out with in favour of that flipping Colgate ad.
As @Robbie Boy posted, he's talking out of his arse. Most people and even Liverpool fans had massive doubts over Klopp in his first year or so there.

I had a look and saw how even up to recently you were calling for Klopp to be sacked or walk, so given you were so right about him. I have decided you don't know shit and it would be a waste of my time.

I get it you have no response to the question, because there's no one, as Ten Hag has no style of play and no strategy to even discuss, so that's the only way to walk away from this without embarrassing yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.