Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am all against the overreaction in here, but as long as stuff like this is written, nobody should be shocked when this continues to spriral. We lost 2:0 and it was a deserved result. A 2:1 loss would sound more fitting but apart from that, Spurs have been better than us. In 1st half, we weren't better than them, we were less shit than in 2nd half which made the game a little more open.
We were 100% better then them in the 1st, had 3 times their xG, missed a couple sitters, had a clear pen not called. That's away to a big club in their first home game of the season. Quite simply in big games if you aren't clinical and you don't get the rub of the green then they are likely to have their bounces eventually. 2nd half was shit yeah.

I mean there are some positives.

We did in fact win the first of the two games, something we didn't manage last season. And the first half performance against Spurs was fine, it was just the second half that went to shit. And even then we were unlucky not to come away with anything given the chances we had and the penalty we could have been given.

It's not like it has been irredeemably abysmal, even if that's the tone some are striking on here.
And believe me, I’m not saying there isn’t some positives, Onana for example is a massive improvement and more inline with what we want from a modern GK.

I’ve said this previously, that I really hope this is just preseason rust following us into the season but we look completely out of sorts and have done since we beat Barcelona last year. We had big injuries last season, this season we have no excuse for this start to the league, or the poor pre season, or signing players like Mount, or Antony not improving in the space of a year but somehow being undroppable.

Ten Hag won’t get the benefit of the doubt this season, we can’t get hammered by massive score lines this year, no one is going to tolerate it for a league cup and a style of play that looks suicidal.

I appreciate the free time and efforts you put into searching through my old posts from 2 years ago rather than replying on the argument in front of you. You must be obsessed. Congratulations.
You have never been a fan of ETH though. I don't need free time to look up your posts. You have been embarrassing when it comes to opposing ETH because it started long back going as back as Brentford game . Fecking second game.

Worrying start to the season. The lack of goals is not something i expected from him when he joined us. Yes he's been dealt a bad deck with no proven goalscorer when he joined. But surely he should have spent all the Antony money on one last season. Starting last season with Martial and then ending up with Weghorst is bad management in my opinion. Rashford doesn't look arsed. Terrible body language from him on the pitch.

We are only two games in guys ffs. Relax, it’ll come. Remember how we started last season? I’m not worried yet. I still believe in ETH, after all we need to stick with someone.

Moyes, LVG, Mourinho, Ole…. Where does it end? Remember Sir Alex was fairly inconsistent in the beginning and that worked out fairly superb in the end.

I am all against the overreaction in here, but as long as stuff like this is written, nobody should be shocked when this continues to spriral. We lost 2:0 and it was a deserved result. A 2:1 loss would sound more fitting but apart from that, Spurs have been better than us. In 1st half, we weren't better than them, we were less shit than in 2nd half which made the game a little more open.
A shame you didn’t read the rest of my post mate. But no, 1st half we were clearly above them but instead of killing the game we just let them in, which happened during the end of first half. No team dominates during the 90min, both teams will have good and bad periods during a game. The difference is great teams manage their bad periods.
We’re not a great team yet because although we’re very good during our good periods, our level drops severely in our bad periods.

Now the issue here is Im not saying we’re an extraordinary team and no criticism is allowed. I’m just saying let’s try to have some objective criticism instead of just being all doom and gloom and calling everything shite all the time

We are only two games in guys ffs. Relax, it’ll come. Remember how we started last season? I’m not worried yet. I still believe in ETH, after all we need to stick with someone.

Moyes, LVG, Mourinho, Ole…. Where does it end? Remember Sir Alex was fairly inconsistent in the beginning and that worked out fairly superb in the end.
How is being shit at the start of last season and being shit at the start of this season supposed to appease people? Is this just how things are now? Don’t watch United until the 10th game because that’s how long it takes to get going? The lowering of expectations surrounding our club that has spent silly money in the last 2 years alone is staggering.

I thought we were really good in the first half and really shit in the second.

The criticism of him is ridiculously overcooked here, with some borderline imbecilic posts.

He is adopting a step up in the way the team plays and guess what, it will take longer than a pre season for the whole philosophy to click. Chill out and watch it unfold, stop trying to assume it's going to be a shit show after 2fecking games.

But we can’t expect to be this shocking at the start of every season and be like it’s only 2 games relax. We’ve had 2 pre seasons under ETH so no excuses for not getting his style drilled into the players. We can’t afford to be chasing teams so early on if we want to eventually be title contenders. The worse thing possible is to be chasing teams… it’s better to be level with teams and hope they drop points so they’re chasing us.

When Hojlund "flops" his first season here the pressure on ETH will be too much. This team has been set up to rely on a 20 year old, which is embarrassing from the club. We set him up to fail

The criticism of him is ridiculously overcooked here, with some borderline imbecilic posts.

He is adopting a step up in the way the team plays and guess what, it will take longer than a pre season for the whole philosophy to click. Chill out and watch it unfold, stop trying to assume it's going to be a shit show after 2fecking games.

He has had 2 pre season's and managers come in not needing 2 summers etc. to make it obvious the style they play

It's really not 2 games. Its an over exaggeration to say he is shit and it's almost as bad to ignore our form since the Carabao cup final and pass it off as 2 games

He is not in the position he was in this time last year, he rightfully is and should be under more scrutiny

I was very surprised he put the same line up out yesterday, really was not expecting that.

I think things will get better when the striker is fit and Rashford moves back to the left.

In the meantime, I dont understand why he does not play Martial as a striker, if hes fit enough for the bench then he should start.

Antony is becoming a real concern for me, he spends more time apologizing than he does creating anything decent.

I would play Sancho there tbh ..

Our attack without a proper number 9 is staggeringly bad, which is amazing considering the players we have.

Honestly, this start to the season has been a shock to me, I expected so much more.

The obvious issues we had last season are just as evident this season which makes me wonder what ETH is doing to address this.

We've spent 150m.
He's been heavily backed. The Glazers are a problem, but you can't say ETH hasn't had money to spend.

Nah I’m not having that to be honest he’s spent over 400m in 12months and signed 7-8 players
Im all for getting the Glazers out but ETH can’t complain about the players he’s been given nearly every single one of them has a connection to himself or Ajax

Yes I agree he has been given the money. But good players are reluctant to come here because of our recent history. So we pay way over the odds. ETH can only counteract that with his personal reputation so he buys players he knows. He's doing the best he can in difficult circumstances. But the very best players head to City or PSG for the the money and Madrid for the trophies and nice weather. What do we have?

I think the criticism is the result of the seemingly mediocre transfer window. Prioritizing Mount above everyone else while watching elite central midfielders getting fought over by other big clubs, was like a pressure cooker building up to this loss.

His tactics actually work. It’s a bit of a high risk high reward though.

We have the same issue as last year, we severely underperform our xG, our problem is mostly finishing.
His tactics get the players in the right situations to get goals, the players fail to get the goals.

Failing to capitalise on our good periods, it’s only natural the oppo team will have chances and have their confidence growing through the game.

That’s the difference with Arsenal who usually manage to score very early on and then can just play their game with more confidence while undermining the opponents’ confidence

Yea, it's the same from last season. We had some decent first halves and miss really good chances and then boom second half we go missing. Whether that is down to fitness, mentality or lack of drilling, it needs to be sorted. EtH should still be given the benefit of the doubt to do so - so many agreed that he did a pretty good job last season; also the transfer window is not closed yet. If our problems persist, we hope that his pragmatism will come up with other plans, as is obvious. Hopefully we will have upgrades of McFred as options.. Also, I am sure Mount will adapt more. Many were of the view is that he is an upgrade on Fred at very least.

It's looking like the 'moaners' are actually the ones living in the real world. There have been some clear limitations in the squad and very obvious flawed transfers planning. These things have been brought up by many and it was just brushed off as moaning.

The standard for this club is to be the best team in the country. Praising mediocrity isn't a badge of honour, it's delusion. Of course some take it way too far in their negativity but I'm hoping nuanced criticism can stopped being referred to as moaning here. Is it really moaning if the criticism and reservation is true and legitimate.

ETH has put misplaced faith in Bruno and Rashford being our leaders and what looks to be two careless transfers in Antony and Mount (or at least how he's playing Mount). There is no version of this team where we can get back to the top, it has been constructed badly and if ETH continues to trust it I don't see how he'll be much different from the other post SAF managers.

He needs a strong DoF to get him what the team needs and not what ETH wants. Murtough is obviously not that person.

How is being shit at the start of last season and being shit at the start of this season supposed to appease people? Is this just how things are now? Don’t watch United until the 10th game because that’s how long it takes to get going? The lowering of expectations surrounding our club that has spent silly money in the last 2 years alone is staggering.

I totally agree. I'm not even disappointed by the money spent of the fact we still have no idea how to have an attacking style. What disappoints me most is the lack of fitness at the START of the season. How is this possible? We should be ready for an August start and not sleepwalk our way until October or something.

By October we'll probably already be 10 points behind City. Mamma Mia.

I totally agree. I'm not even disappointed by the money spent of the fact we still have no idea how to have an attacking style. What disappoints me most is the lack of fitness at the START of the season. How is this possible? We should be ready for an August start and not sleepwalk our way until October or something.

I'm not sure if its lack of fitness or just a lack of athletic ability. The latter you can't change in a player. If you've got a bunch of players who are lightweight or one paced you'll look unfit compared to teams.

Ultimately you either technical excellence or real athletic ability. One is a must.

Hojlund will make a difference with his build and speed. Rashford is incredibly lightweight as a 9.

It's looking like the 'moaners' are actually the ones living in the real world. There have been some clear limitations in the squad and very obvious flawed transfers planning. These things have been brought up by many and it was just brushed off as moaning.

The standard for this club is to be the best team in the country. Praising mediocrity isn't a badge of honour, it's delusion. Of course some take it way too far in their negativity but I'm hoping nuanced criticism can stopped being referred to as moaning here. Is it really moaning if the criticism and reservation is true and legitimate.

ETH has put misplaced faith in Bruno and Rashford being our leaders and what looks to be two careless transfers in Antony and Mount (or at least how he's playing Mount). There is no version of this team where we can get back to the top, it has been constructed badly and if ETH continues to trust it I don't see how he'll be much different from the other post SAF managers.

He needs a strong DoF to get him what the team needs and not what ETH wants. Murtough is obviously not that person.

The DOF will change absolutely nothing in this climate. United, from the fans to the owners, are a very insecure club. Throwing money left and right to show our strength, giving huge contracts to players believing that there's no way they won't become the footballers we want them to be. You have to give the new guy a carte blance which itself goes back to the Messiah complex that's plaguing United in the post-SAF era. But even if he does attempt the change of direction you mention, the very moment Bruno and especially Rashford feel they're being shown the door, (most of) the fans, the press, the pundits, the ex-legends... everybody will skin him alive.

Hojlund will make a difference with his build and speed. Rashford is incredibly lightweight as a 9.
My concern is that, from the little ive seen of his time at Atalanta, they played on the counter and he had lots of space to run into. He won't find that here when our opponents sit back and defend deep.

My concern is that, from the little ive seen of his time at Atalanta, they played on the counter and he had lots of space to run into. He won't find that here when our opponents sit back and defend deep.
He's a focal point CF. He bases a lot of his game on backing into defenders and providing a reference for the team, and has shown many occasions of very good box movement to get the easier goals. Also, only 20, so a lot to develop, but he has all the raw tools needed to be an elite CF. But even aside from that, any average CF who plays like a focal point CF will provide a big difference for us.

We were 100% better then them in the 1st, had 3 times their xG, missed a couple sitters, had a clear pen not called. That's away to a big club in their first home game of the season. Quite simply in big games if you aren't clinical and you don't get the rub of the green then they are likely to have their bounces eventually. 2nd half was shit yeah.
A couple of sitters? Which ones would that be? I remember Bruno one to be a very good chance but what else? The fluke that fell in front of Rashfords foot? Casemiros header from 15meters out?* We should have had a penalty, I agree. But those things happen to all teams. Having a couple of chances isn't the same as dominating in my eyes. There wasn't much pressure, apart from a few situations but Spurs had some moments as well. As I said, it wasn't a great game but it was balanced. I know, things are subjective, but acting as if 1st half would be where the journey is going won't really help to keep everybody positive.

*seems like Casemiros header was way closer to goal but not in the 1st half

A shame you didn’t read the rest of my post mate. But no, 1st half we were clearly above them but instead of killing the game we just let them in, which happened during the end of first half. No team dominates during the 90min, both teams will have good and bad periods during a game. The difference is great teams manage their bad periods.
We’re not a great team yet because although we’re very good during our good periods, our level drops severely in our bad periods.

Now the issue here is Im not saying we’re an extraordinary team and no criticism is allowed. I’m just saying let’s try to have some objective criticism instead of just being all doom and gloom and calling everything shite all the time
Actually I did. I would totally agree with what you say in your last sentence. I think, it should also apply to praise though. I mean, if yesterdays 1st half gets a "we dominated" sticker, then I am not too shocked that people take issue with it.

History repeats itself... Doom and gloom, false praise, real fans support the manager, look at the results, no look at the performances, its a process, so much money spent bla bla bla bla bla

Last edited:

I don’t know how we could allow the lack of sharpness/fitness to happen again this season, knowing full well it was an issue last season also. To the point Ten Hag sent Sancho off in the middle of the season to get fit. The lads should have been back in one to two weeks early and done bleep tests non stop.

Forget about city, that was never a realistic target this season. But still we'll see. I'm guessing we'll be mid to upper 70's points wise which would be a good step (deservedly getting that many points, last season we were more of an upper 60s team the way we played).

Thats the problem there’s no modern style. It generally looks like we’ve picked 11 names and just told them to ‘play’

It’s almost amateurish how unbalanced and prepared the side look, picking essentially 5 attacking players when we play with 40% possession and can’t string 5 passes together? comical

I agree that they don’t seem to be cohesive right now, and when it doesn’t come off, they look absolutely horrendous, no disagreement there.

My personal feeling is that players don’t have the guile, they lose their minds in games and it’s not the managers fault completely.

It’s one thing that is common from last season still.

He might not have an eye for the Next Messi or even the next Salah or Kroos, but any manager worth his salt should at least know what and where he's gonna play his 80M new signing. Especially when most of them are his ex-Ajax player. It's traversty on how he gets Antony wrong.

One would expect he knew every nooks and crany being an Ex Ajax manager, that's a negligence of duty

A couple of sitters? Which ones would that be? I remember Bruno one to be a very good chance but what else? The fluke that fell in front of Rashfords foot? Casemiros header from 15meters out? We should have had a penalty, I agree. But those things happen to all teams. Having a couple of chances isn't the same as dominating in my eyes. There wasn't much pressure, apart from a few situations but Spurs had some moments as well. As I said, it wasn't a great game but it was balanced. I know, things are subjective, but acting as if 1st half would be where the journey is going won't really help to keep everybody positive.

Actually I did. I would totally agree with what you say in your last sentence. I think, it should also apply to praise though. I mean, if yesterdays 1st half gets a "we dominated" sticker, then I am not too shocked that people take issue with it.

History repeats itself... Doom and gloom, false praise, real fans support the manager, look at the results, no look at the performances, its a process, so much money spent bla bla bla bla bla
Rashford had a very good chance early then the header chance (TBF though would have been offside), the penalty claim was a very good chance and the shot was a good one but saved with his hand by Romero, blatant pen. Bruno sitter. Casemiro great header saved. Antony great chance hit the post.

We had more xG than them throughout the game, absolutely destroyed them with xG in the 1st, but we didn't respond well to going behind and lost our cool, stopped playing properly, started lunging, etc. That's always our biggest issue for me and the biggest issue in this game. Our approach absolutely worked in the game until we went behind where our players lost their heads after.

I'm not saying it's a great performance or flawless, but that it was an approach that worked in a big away game, but we are horrible at finishing. If you don't take your chances in a big away game, you're not gonna win. The pen, yeah calls go against you but it doesn't help especially when it's a clear pen on a shot that may have gone in anyway. A series of things that add up. Is it the manager to blame for a bad approach, or the players not simply putting the ball in the net or having the rub of the green with the ref? Can question ten hag on why the 2nd half went poorly, why we continually lose composure and seemingly abandon game plans after a little blow, but the approach was definitely fine for the 1st half and we had our chances to equalize shortly after the goal too.

He might not have an eye for the Next Messi or even the next Salah or Kroos, but any manager worth his salt should at least know what and where he's gonna play his 80M new signing. Especially when most of them are his ex-Ajax player. It's traversty on how he gets Antony wrong.

One would expect he knew every nooks and crany being an Ex Ajax manager, that's a negligence of duty
The Antony we are seeing here is the same way he played for Ajax. The only difference is we don’t have a Mazraoui that will make him look better

As if everything Tifo preaches is the truth. People should take YouTube content creators with a grain of salt.
Sure. But the guy keeps asking for explanations because he can't see with his eyes. So there you go. Unless you want a painfully boring and tedious conversation about tactics from random people on a forum who know feck all in the grand scheme of things.

Forget about city, that was never a realistic target this season. But still we'll see. I'm guessing we'll be mid to upper 70's points wise which would be a good step (deservedly getting that many points, last season we were more of an upper 60s team the way we played).

You’re my favourite poster bosnian_red, and I love your optimism among all the doom and gloom. Are you not worried about us this season? Our midfield? ETH’s rigidity and tactics?

We absolutely dominated them first half and should have been at least two goals up, let's not rewrite events.

The DOF will change absolutely nothing in this climate. United, from the fans to the owners, are a very insecure club. Throwing money left and right to show our strength, giving huge contracts to players believing that there's no way they won't become the footballers we want them to be. You have to give the new guy a carte blance which itself goes back to the Messiah complex that's plaguing United in the post-SAF era. But even if he does attempt the change of direction you mention, the very moment Bruno and especially Rashford feel they're being shown the door, (most of) the fans, the press, the pundits, the ex-legends... everybody will skin him alive.
Of course the DOF changes things if they're given enough power. Whether at PSG and their strategy, moving from Galaticos to primarily French up and coming) players and to strength in centre of the park rather than just flashy forwards, to Chelsea's greater focus upon young players, to Brighton's move towards higher-grade technical players, even through to Villa. Different sized clubs, different ownership models, but DOFs have change the direction of it. Even Tottenham signing physical but also technically sharp players like Sarr, and the newer batch of defenders, is DOF led and an indication of the direction they're looking to head in.

All you need is for a DOF to say, I don't care if I only get 40m for the lot and we have to spread the cost on FFP, we're getting Maguire and McTom out and reinvesting it in an up and coming C,M with the right technical attributes and physical strength and willingness to take the ball under pressure and move it progressively, and that already changes the composition of the side. Likewise, buying one of those kinds of players rather than Mount and spending the remainder plus 15m from sales on someone like Orban - again, that changes our attacking options and the balance of the side. a DOF blocks a nearly 90m move for Antony, and scouts a Casemiro replacement as soon as we sign him. All of those things change the side.

Our fans are remarkably patient - this has bene spelled out on innumerable occasions here before and results from SAF era in large part and the mythos around the 'manager' and 'giving him time' as well as 'backing players' (regardless of whether the manager themselves is reducing them to wrecks in the dressing room). This, combined with lack of accountability within the club, is why we won't succeed unless miracle happens in terms of youth players with the right profiles coming through. At the moment , with other sides strengthening their 'core' and the manager's inability to understand the problems (problems so many people foresaw here before and just after mount signed, - problems which almost certainly are rectified just with spending the cash on easily available, up and coming good young players, just based on their playing profiles, regardless of whether that means trophy success), finishing in something like 8th place is really not inconceivable. If a decent DOF working at any 2nd level European club had access to our budget and profile, along with being allowed to sell players who don't fit for whatever the immediate market take-up prices are (as a kind of 'investment' in declaring losses) they could solve 80% of the issues there and then

You’re my favourite poster bosnian_red, and I love your optimism among all the doom and gloom. Are you not worried about us this season? Our midfield? ETH’s rigidity and tactics?
Biggest worries for me this season are off pitch stuff providing too much of a distraction and causing that <5% impact that actually makes the difference. The prem is hard. There are a lot of very good team and great coaches. There's 9 clubs (City, Arsenal, Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Newcastle, Brighton, villa) who are genuinely just very good teams. So small things can make a big difference. Teams like Chelsea and Spurs will have the advantage of no European football distractions. We'll see how villa, Newcastle and Brighton deal with their added congestion. We'll see how Liverpool treat the Europa League my guess is they'll ignore it. But this all has a big impact.

Midfield I'd hope we get Amrabat in, but I think/hope Mount will be fine overall. Off the ball he provides a lot, on the ball he needs to look for it a lot more and not hide or be just a side piece. Mainoo will get his time when he's fit.

Ten Hag isn't rigid at all, he's always shown to be incredibly adaptable to what he has at his disposal, and has continually shown that he can successfully make changes and isn't shy to make them. He showed it at Ajax, and he showed it last season here. Some tinkering may be required, but he'll figure it out as he's a very good coach. I definitely look forward to Hojlund getting fit, and I hope Martial can find some fitness miraculously to at least rotate with hojlund. I don't like Rashford top at all and there are very few games that I think it works for (and more often as an impact thing late on rather than from the start). People are super impatient in wanting the final result right away, but that's not realistic and we are competing with very good teams with a lot of money as well. All 9 can get it right and yet some of them will inevitably fall behind.

When Hojlund "flops" his first season here the pressure on ETH will be too much. This team has been set up to rely on a 20 year old, which is embarrassing from the club. We set him up to fail
Really don’t think we’re going to “rely” on him, reports are that even when he is fit, he’ll be eased into the team

A couple of sitters? Which ones would that be? I remember Bruno one to be a very good chance but what else? The fluke that fell in front of Rashfords foot? Casemiros header from 15meters out?* We should have had a penalty, I agree. But those things happen to all teams. Having a couple of chances isn't the same as dominating in my eyes. There wasn't much pressure, apart from a few situations but Spurs had some moments as well. As I said, it wasn't a great game but it was balanced. I know, things are subjective, but acting as if 1st half would be where the journey is going won't really help to keep everybody positive.

*seems like Casemiros header was way closer to goal but not in the 1st half

We were objectively the better side in the first half. Tottenham failed to get the ball out of their half for most of the second half and we had opportunities to take the lead. Second half, Tottenham scores early and we fail to up our level. They score the second and that’s it, we lose.
Saying this is not a praise or an absolution of every blame on the manager.

I just said that if we look purely at ETH tactics, they can work. Arsenal were clinical in the first minutes of their games last season which allowed them to have a mental advantage over their opponents. They made their games easier.
We fail to score, we don’t fail to create chances, and then we allow the opponents back into the game. We make our games harder to win.

To be honest I believe that the way Ten Hag wants to make us play this season is a bit too agressive and it will be hit and miss.

We absolutely dominated them first half and should have been at least two goals up, let's not rewrite events.

Yeah true. Have to remember that, a real positive.

Crazy this team is to go from that first half performance to what they served up second half. Most inconsistent team I've seen.

He has had 2 pre season's and managers come in not needing 2 summers etc. to make it obvious the style they play

It's really not 2 games. Its an over exaggeration to say he is shit and it's almost as bad to ignore our form since the Carabao cup final and pass it off as 2 games

He is not in the position he was in this time last year, he rightfully is and should be under more scrutiny

The funny thing is that most of those managers who come and make an instant impact usually last about 12-18 months. Anyone who watches the PL will have seen many of these come and go over the years.

Where as with those who are actually working and building towards a total overhaul of a squad and style of play tend to do it more slowly and gradually with better long term results. ETH is trying to change the mindset and style of a team still stuck in a slow lazy game. That isn't going to happen over night, or over 1 season, it usually takes 2-3 years to build a team capable of sustainable challenges for trophies.

I was very surprised he put the same line up out yesterday, really was not expecting that.

I think things will get better when the striker is fit and Rashford moves back to the left.

In the meantime, I dont understand why he does not play Martial as a striker, if hes fit enough for the bench then he should start.

Antony is becoming a real concern for me, he spends more time apologizing than he does creating anything decent.

I would play Sancho there tbh ..

Our attack without a proper number 9 is staggeringly bad, which is amazing considering the players we have.

Honestly, this start to the season has been a shock to me, I expected so much more.

The obvious issues we had last season are just as evident this season which makes me wonder what ETH is doing to address this.

It blows my mind that we signed Sancho to play on the left. Wtf.

Status
Not open for further replies.