Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone suggesting that he should be sacked after two games is fecking mental. It's been a rough start but I'm confident he will figure it out. I would not be surprised if we're sitting here two months from now and we're near the top of the table in great form.

The vultures have been circling for a while so no surprise that this thread has jumped over 30 pages in the last day. I understand the frustration with our performances but people need to calm down. We seen him turn things around last year.

Ole was king of turnarounds we should have a clear style by now and not be getting outplayed by spurs and Bournemouth

It won't get more true because you constantly repeating yourself.

Also you not accepting Bruno is the cause of our midfield issues will make him a better player. Not today or tomorrow or next year

• Bruno has won nothing in his career. He's turning 29 years in September. In 2 weeks time.
  • He has never played in champion league semi final in HIS LIFE. even 1 game.
  • Has he played in Champions League Quater Finals? Can't think of any
  • He has never won a LEAGUE title in his LIFE.
  • He has never been involved in any title race in HIS LIFE.
  • He massively flops against our biggest rivals.
  • But somehow he will deliver league titles and ucl to United as a 30+ year old Club captain :D. Being delusional is an option still.

Its mental. ETH told you his plans: transitional side. That means he doesn't value possession and control over fast transitions.

This is what will make ETH sacked, he's building a team around Bruno who is the master of releasing a ball the minute he gets it. This is the main problem we have. This is what brings the confusion. This is why to date we have ZERO playing style. We run like zombies in the field.

Our tactic is run after the ball, get it, then play early to the strikers, over the top for them to chase.

We are playing at the disadvantage of the other 9-10 players to the benefits of a one player called Bruno who has WON NOTHING is his CAREER.

Its not a coincidence we play same way as Ole.
It's not rocket science.Game plan is same, patterns of play are invisible as usual, batterings and hammerings are still there, midfield non existent is still an issue.

It's because Ole bought Bruno made him a focal point, games unraveled quickly he was sacked.
ETH has made Bruno captain and still his focal point.

I have said it, Bruno will outlast ETH. One or the other will be gone in 18 months. Either club captain or club manager. Either ETH pulls the plug on Bruno or the club will pull the plug on him

Dont expect a change of game patterns with Bruno around, don't expect to win a league or ucl with Bruno in the team. It's a hard reality we as United fans need to accept.
Dude. Relax, it is just football and you seem to be way too invested emotionally. You list so many things, Brunos accomplishements - you remember that it is a teamsport, right?

Did you expect him to say “yeah we’re shit mate”?
Yes. He had called out the team before when they were terrible. However, he has gone into this false sense of reality; I see a strong correlation between managers trying to deceive the fans into believing this false narrative and them being eventually sacked.

We should completely drop the wingers aspect as they're too ineffective.

Play 451 with Casemiro, Eriksen, Sancho, Mount, Fernandes behind a CF.

I’m starting to doubt his tactical knowledge. Casemiro on his own and Bruno, Mount who are quite similar so far up? Not only they don’t compliment each other but also the gap between the midfielders is criminal. Then you keep playing Rashford as a striker and move Bruno to the right? Nah man this is too much.

We can criticize some of his decisions and tactics but calling for his head now is madness. For me once a manager has shown nous in his game plan and ability to convince and rally players behind his ideas, then you have to give him serious time to build his team. ETH doesn't fully have his team yet, even though he has shaped the current one to a level. Once he has genuine competition for every position in the key areas of the pitch, central defence, midfield and attacking centre, then it would make sense to question his job if decisions were seemingly bad.

For instance I wasn't a fun of making Bruno captain, but it's no where near the same colossal error as was Ole captaining Harry midway through his first season as a United player. For one Bruno is versatile and has even shown last season that he can follow instructions well and reign in his erratic play and perform well at it. Second, from what we've seen of ETH, I don't doubt that he wouldn't bench Bruno if he had better players for his position consistently outperforming him in training and matches. Third, Bruno can function to a high level in a relentlessly high pressing transition team, and being an extremely fit professional would set the fitness standard for such a team, which is a key aspect to sustain that kind of system.

The guy has shown a high degree of astuteness and skill in dealing with the tools at his disposal and I'm still fully convinced he's the best manager we could have for this team. I hope we get another midfielder in before the window closes though, as we're still critically lightweight there and an injury or suspension to Casemiro would still be a disaster, arguably more so now that Fred is gone.

Shambolic results in ETH reign so far :-

Season 2022/23
Manutd 1-2 Brighton (opening day at OT)
Brentford 4-0 Manutd
Mancity 6-3 Manutd
Aston Villa 3-1 Manutd
Liverpool 7-0 Manutd
Sevilla 3-0 Manutd

Season 2023/24
Spurs 2-0 Manutd

Dude. Relax, it is just football and you seem to be way too invested emotionally. You list so many things, Brunos accomplishements - you remember that it is a teamsport, right?
Let me leave with this comment from another poster as seen below

I told people about him from the beginning. He is a Europa League player being masqueraded as a CL/PL winning level player.

This club, two managers, the fanbase are all culpable because you put on him a pedestal he didn't deserve. I genuinely think there is an argument to be made for him being a flop but you guys aren't ready for that discussion yet. We'll get there in a few years time but for now at least you accepted he is problematic.

It's funny how the solution to our genius manager issues is just to give him more money to splash on top class players. Once this excuse starts to appear you know the manager is doomed but people don't want to criticize him.

The guy is just an overrated coach. He's not bad, he's better than Ole or Moyes, but he's several tiers below the best. Just accept it and stop acting like we hired a top tier manager.

I won't sack him but at the same I won't be against the idea if we weren't close to the top 2 comes the end of the season.

Sack Erik and replace him with who? and with dorks like murtough staying, the new manager will suffer the same fate. We should sack murtough first and get a proper DoF with better networks and experiences. Seriously what does this guy have in his CV to make him Man United first ever DoF? few years working with Moyes and The FA, that's good enough?

It's funny how the solution to our genius manager issues is just to give him more money to splash on top class players. Once this excuse starts to appear you know the manager is doomed but people don't want to criticize him.

The guy is just an overrated coach. He's not bad, he's better than Ole or Moyes, but he's several tiers below the best. Just accept it and stop acting like we hired a top tier manager.

I won't sack him but at the same I won't be against the idea if we weren't close to the top 2 comes the end of the season.
Wonder what you said about Klopp at Liverpool those first few years...

Takes time, coaches need to adapt too and he's shown to be very adaptable. Also - he got 3rd last year FFS. The PREM is the toughest league in the world with the best managers, up against possibly the best league manager ever. It's not a failure to be 3rd in your first season :lol:

Takes time, coaches need to adapt too and he's shown to be very adaptable. Also - he got 3rd last year FFS. The PREM is the toughest league in the world with the best managers, up against possibly the best league manager ever. It's not a failure to be 3rd in your first season :lol:

You're screaming into the void mate, although I always appreciate it when you do.

Shambolic results in ETH reign so far :-

Season 2022/23
Manutd 1-2 Brighton (opening day at OT)
Brentford 4-0 Manutd
Mancity 6-3 Manutd
Aston Villa 3-1 Manutd
Liverpool 7-0 Manutd
Sevilla 3-0 Manutd

Season 2023/24
Spurs 2-0 Manutd
How is losing 2-0 away to Spurs a shambolic result? Pep and city lose away to them every year

Liverpool had a clear style of play within the first 1.5 years under Klopp. United is playing shit football with zero cohesion and zero strategy after ton of money spent.

Liverpool had a clear style of play within the first 1.5 years under Klopp. United is playing shit football with zero cohesion and zero strategy after ton of money spent.
And you've decided this in the 1st 2 games of the season. Nice one. Take a break.

And you've decided this in the 1st 2 games of the season. Nice one. Take a break.

No I have decided this after watching full year of Ten Hag and now entering his 2nd season and we're still playing shit football with zero strategy.

I’ve seen posts like this a lot, do you not think people watched last season as well or something? The manager doesn’t deserve all of us to give him full unquestionable support given the signings and results over the last year.
It’s not unfair to look at the system and think it’s not going to work.

No I have decided this after watching full year of Ten Hag and now entering his 2nd season and we're still playing shit football with zero strategy.
A full year we finished 3rd and won a cup, but played with a squad horribly suited for him?

It's been 2 games this season. Calm the feck down. Klopp finished 8th in year 1. Arteta finished 8th 2 years in a row and then 5th, and played shit on a stick football until last season where it clicked.

I think he kind of earned an additional year of patient with us. So even if we failed to finish top 5 this season, I'd definitely give him another year to build the team.

I think after first 2 weeks of the season, the likely top 6 could be:

1. City
2. Arsenal
3. Liverpool
4. Chelsea
5. Newcastle
6. Spur

Massive respect for what he has done. Not an easy task at all however I have my doubts over his decision to buy Antony and Mount… He has not made his job easier with his acquisition so far

Yeah and after that it was 3rd, 2nd, 5th; not amazing. But Oh! the excuses we make for him. Good manager and everything but we don’t seem to judge our own managers by the same standard.
There were also the UCL victory and two UCL finals. And their second was with 97 points. And he was not backed financially to the same level United managers were backed. And actually started from a worse point.

But yes, excuses.

I’ve seen posts like this a lot, do you not think people watched last season as well or something? The manager doesn’t deserve all of us to give him full unquestionable support given the signings and results over the last year.
It’s not unfair to look at the system and think it’s not going to work.
Last season where we played with no striker and a horribly suited goalkeeper, but still finished 3rd and won a cup and reached another final? Do you not see the adaptability from him? Do you expect world class performances with literally no #9 and de Gea in net? De Gea who still has no club and being rejected left and right?

I would think people watched last season, but after seeing some posts I just assume they must be reactionary 12 year olds or something with no ability to look at the big picture

A full year we finished 3rd and won a cup, but played with a squad horribly suited for him?

It's been 2 games this season. Calm the feck down. Klopp finished 8th in year 1. Arteta finished 8th 2 years in a row and then 5th, and played shit on a stick football until last season where it clicked.

"3rd and League Cup" this.. "3rd and League Cup" that.. so fecking exhausting to see United fans continuously mentioning this as if this is the peak success for United.

We finished top 4 and won the least important cup in England. Basically the least I'll expect from Manchester United .. so ? Embarrassing to keep mentioning this.

United is playing shit football with zero cohesion and strategy behind. We're signing awful players that we have no clue how to use.

Celebrate your top 4 and League cup win but with what we're doing currently we're going nowhere beyond winning the most useless cup in England.

Klopp might have finished 8th in his first half season but it was clear they were building something. United is playing like shit and have zero strategy beyond splashing random money on players that don't fit here and I don't care if you're convincing yourself otherwise.

So people now want new FOTY manager in De Zerbi, like Ten Hag was before, and if he comes, people will be going for his head after a year, and repeat. :lol:

"3rd and League Cup" this.. "3rd and League Cup" that.. so fecking exhausting to see United fans continuously mentioning this as if this is the peak success for United.

We finished top 4 and won the least important cup in England. Basically the least I'll expect from Manchester United .. so ? Embarrassing to keep mentioning this.

United is playing shit football with zero cohesion and strategy behind. We're signing awful players that we have no clue to use.

Celebrate your top 4 and League cup win but with what we're doing currently we're going nowhere beyond winning the most useless cup in England.

Klopp might have finished 8th in his first half season but it was clear they were building something. United is playing like shit and have zero strategy beyond splashing random money on players that don't fit here and I don't care if you're convincing yourself otherwise.

The only reason "it's clear Klopp was building something" is because you saw the end result, like 3 years later. Wait and see where we end up. They played like shit and it most definitely was not clear to see right away. They had their share of hammerings, as well as good performances.

And yeah I will keep bringing up what actually fecking matters - top 4 and a trophy after the disaster he took over was excellent for year 1.

The only reason "it's clear Klopp was building something" is because you saw the end result, like 3 years later. Wait and see where we end up.

No it was clear back then as well they were going in the right direction but we were too salty to admit. Everyone knew their issues were the defense and GK leaking goals but nothing to do with their playstyle. United isn't going anywhere in comparison.

Wait ? Not like the decision of sacking Ten Hag is in my hands anyway.

But I don't have to be a genius to see that with that transfer strategy and tactics United isn't going anywhere any time soon beyond finishing top 4. People who like mediocrity can enjoy this though.

The lack of a top striker, or indeed any half decent fit striker, is killing this team
We won more under Jose, we had a clear style defined under Solskjaer, what are we currently doing?
This is a disastrous take.

Mourinho was incredibly toxic for this club and most fans couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Ole's 'clear style' was a grim kind of low block counterattacking and it was clear he was completely out of his depth. He won nothing. Again, even Ole fans, a dwindling group, had had enough by the end.

Ten Hag had a successful first season and has barely begun his second, and already the revisionists are out in force.

How is losing 2-0 away to Spurs a shambolic result? Pep and city lose away to them every year
What? Losing to a side that lost their best player by far and to a new manager who has no experience of this league or any top league after spending loads himself, signing his own players and going into the second season? That’s shambolic.

That second sentence is so daft. So what city lose? They win every fecking trophy too. Did pep lose 7-0 also to pool? Did pep get smashed by us too? God awful stupid comparison.

The only reason "it's clear Klopp was building something" is because you saw the end result, like 3 years later. Wait and see where we end up. They played like shit and it most definitely was not clear to see right away. They had their share of hammerings, as well as good performances.

And yeah I will keep bringing up what actually fecking matters - top 4 and a trophy after the disaster he took over was excellent for year 1.
It was clear because Liverpool were playing great football and dominating teams well before they won any trophies. Their weakness was in defence and their keeper. As soon as they signed Alisson and VVD they started reaping the rewards.

We're nowhere close and the entire team still looks unbalanced. It's rather obvious to anyone who hasn't buried their head in the sand.

Last season where we played with no striker and a horribly suited goalkeeper, but still finished 3rd and won a cup and reached another final? Do you not see the adaptability from him? Do you expect world class performances with literally no #9 and de Gea in net? De Gea who still has no club and being rejected left and right?

I would think people watched last season, but after seeing some posts I just assume they must be reactionary 12 year olds or something with no ability to look at the big picture
Yeah but have his signings this season indicated that we’re going to progress? I like the new goalkeeper a lot but Mount doesn’t seem to fit yet and the striker is just a kid. You can make childish comments at people with doubts but it won’t make them any less valid.
I’m not saying sack him or that I’m Ten Hag out, but I think it’s better to wait and see before we just assume he’s going to work it out off the back of one decent season.

No it was clear back then as well they were going in the right direction but we were too salty to admit. Everyone knew their issues were the defense and GK leaking goals but nothing to do with their playstyle. United isn't going anywhere in comparison.

Wait ? Not like the decision of sacking Ten Hag is in my hands anyway.

But I don't have to be a genius to see that with that transfer strategy and tactics United isn't going anywhere any time soon beyond finishing top 4. People who like mediocrity can enjoy this though.
The feck, it was nothing about being salty. They had a shit first season with Klopp with a mix of shit results and good results. Reasonable fans knew it was a process so knew not to panic after mixed performances and results (3-0 to Watford, 3-1 to Swansea, losing 2 cup finals for examples). Knee jerk fans like yourself probably jumped on the bandwagon sure. It was easy to see then that there were signs to be optimistic about just like reasonable fans can now extremely easily see lots of signs to be optimistic about.

But you go on and be dramatic.

Liverpool in January and February 2017, Klopp's second season:

PL:

A Sunderland 2-2
A Man Utd 1-1
H Swansea 2-3
H Chelsea 1-1
A Hull 0-2
H Tottenham 2-0
A Leicester 1-3

1W 3D 3L

They also lost both games against Southampton in the semi finals of the League Cup 1-0, drew against Plymouth in the 3rd round of the FA cup before winning the replay, and lost in the 4th round at home to Wolves.

Yeah but have his signings this season indicated that we’re going to progress? I like the new goalkeeper a lot but Mount doesn’t seem to fit yet and the striker is just a kid. You can make childish comments at people with doubts but it won’t make them any less valid.
I’m not saying sack him or that I’m Ten Hag out, but I think it’s better to wait and see before we just assume he’s going to work it out off the back of one decent season.
Hojlund is 20 and has massive potential. He's going to make a big difference but we also have to be patient. Onana is class.

I'm unsure on Mount. Not every transfer is always a success. Nobody gets it right all the time. It's been 2 games though.

The ones being childish are the knee jerk reactionary Muppets on here losing their minds after a slow start to the season.

He does seem to be a good coach and possibly up to the task. Clearly, this is the hardest job in world football so I think we should keep him unless somebody better becomes available. Unfortunately, the only coach who is better but not at a rival is Zidane. So if we dont want to get Pep or Klopp (which incidentally, I think we should consider more seriously than we seem to), then its just waiting for Zidane. But its important we not make the same mistake with Zidane that we made with both Pep and Klopp: not just sit there nursing a drink until they came to us asking to manage us, but rather be in touch with him preemptively so that when he's ready to come back, he comes to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.