2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
I'm not sure how anyone who watches football regularly or that has played a couple of games themselves can put blame for the winner on Dalot. What he did was text book.

I'm more alarmed that there are posters above who thought he had a bad game generally.

I'm more alarmed that there are posters above who thought he had a bad game generally.
He's a player that will never get all the credit he deserves. Some people made their minds up on him seasons ago and won't hear anything else for fear of being wrong (they already are, they just won't admit it).

Just thinking further about the match yesterday, would we be better off using Dalot as an orthodox fullback when he is playing left back? He put in one amazing cross yesterday but I don’t actually recall him overlapping at all otherwise. He seemed to instead be dropping into CM leaving us looking quite unbalanced.

That’s not a criticism of him - I thought he had a good game - but I’m unconvinced it’s tactically helping us.

He's a player that will never get all the credit he deserves. Some people made their minds up on him seasons ago and won't hear anything else for fear of being wrong (they already are, they just won't admit it).
I've seen many players suffer from this over the years. Once you're considered crap, you have to become an exceptional player to change people's minds. Being good or decent won't be enough to change the narrative.

Having said that it can work the other way. Dalot had a reputation as an attacking full back when he first came and that reputation stayed with him for a while despite him never actually offering anything in attack for years afterwards. The other obvious example is Maguire being considered a ball playing centre back when we brought him in and that reputation that he was a good ball player stuck for years despite it being evident he's ponderous and crap in possession.

I've seen many players suffer from this over the years. Once you're considered crap, you have to become an exceptional player to change people's minds. Being good or decent won't be enough to change the narrative.

Having said that it can work the other way. Dalot had a reputation as an attacking full back when he first came and that reputation stayed with him for a while despite him never actually offering anything in attack for years afterwards. The other obvious example is Maguire being considered a ball playing centre back when we brought him in and that reputation that he was a good ball player stuck for years despite it being evident he's ponderous and crap in possession.
Yeah, it's weird having conversations with people and feeling like you've watched entirely different matches.

Yeah everyone has a right to their opinion but wtf are these people watching, it can't be the same match as what I watched :lol: :lol:

Can someone elaborate how he had a bad game yesterday, even if you somehow think the Brighton winner is on him, before that, please explain how he had a bad game?

Very poor first half on the ball, was almost like he wasn't ready for the match. Did okay defensively until completely abandoning his side for the second goal. Its things like that that make you question whether he is a starting fullback for a team that's challenging. Mazraoui had a much better game than him so he better step up his game or lose his starting spot when a left back comes back.
Very poor first half, how?? Were we watching the same match?

I wouldn’t expect him to teleport, no. Running would have been fine. Or even a brisk walk? Watch a replay of the goal, he had plenty of time to get back to where he was needed after the corner was cleared and before the final cross came in. He ends up standing right in front of the player, Mazraoui, who should be trying to block the cross instead of him. It was as though he completely forgot we have another player playing in his preferred position. Having your left back standing a yard in front of your right back on the right side of your box is a positional disaster that could have been avoided if he’d made a smarter decision beforehand.

As I said, though, that was compounded by by other players making even more stupid decisions. The whole thing was a shambles.

I expect that he isn't supposed to go back to his normal position until after the corner is fully cleared. Up until that point, the players should be defending in the positions they take for the corner. In this case, the ball basically never left the penalty box so it certainly wasn't cleared.

Look at the replay. Look where he ends up standing in the moments before the final cross. His arse is in Masrouai’s face. He shouldn’t be trying to stop the cross when the player who should be trying to stop the cross is already in the best position to do so. He ends up blocking our actual right back from doing what Dalot is trying to do. He didn’t need to be there and should never have ended up there. As soon as the corner is cleared he should have moved back into position.
I'd say Mazraoui is the one more at fault from that. He should have stayed on the left rather than rushing over to a position where we've already got more than enough people. Once the ball is fully cleared then swap back.

Mazraoui, Casemiro and maybe Garnacho (depending on whether the coaching staff have told him to rush forward to make himself available for a counter-attack) were the main ones who abandoned the positions they should have been holding.

The issue is why was he at the back post in the first place and whose job was it to be at the near post from when the corner was taken.

Dalot is supposed to be at the back post.

Very poor first half on the ball, was almost like he wasn't ready for the match. Did okay defensively until completely abandoning his side for the second goal. Its things like that that make you question whether he is a starting fullback for a team that's challenging. Mazraoui had a much better game than him so he better step up his game or lose his starting spot when a left back comes back.

Dalot is pretty much always our man covering the back post, in corners taken from both sides. I remember quite a lot of goals he stopped last season in that exact position. So he did not 'abandon his side'; indeed he was one of the players who held his position the best.

Whether he could have done a better job blocking the cross is a more suitable question.

Dalot is supposed to be at the back post.

Dalot is pretty much always our man covering the back post, in corners taken from both sides. I remember quite a lot of goals he stopped last season in that exact position. So he did not 'abandon his side'; indeed he was one of the players who held his position the best.

Whether he could have done a better job blocking the cross is a more suitable question.

It was rhetorical but yeah agreed.

Thought he had a great game bar the shocking 2nd Brighton goal where he was 15 yds out of position.

I really wonder if he minds playing on the left or whether he is completely indifferent about it..

There are no signs he minds.. He performs, gives all on the pitch, no statements about preferring the right in the media.. He looks to be fully on board with moving to the other flank..

I do still wonder though whether there is something in his ego or how he feels he is valued being moved left..

*pure 100% wonderings/speculation from my side..

I really wonder if he minds playing on the left or whether he is completely indifferent about it..

There are no signs he minds.. He performs, gives all on the pitch, no statements about preferring the right in the media.. He looks to be fully on board with moving to the other flank..

I do still wonder though whether there is something in his ego or how he feels he is valued being moved left..

*pure 100% wonderings/speculation from my side..
He just seems like a perfect professional to me. Gets on with the job wherever he's needed. Brilliant mentality, brilliant athlete, brilliant player.

Yes, I’ve always seen him as one of the more professional members of our team. I believe Ronaldo hinted as much during his time here in one of the interviews how Diogo had a very good mentality and was always wanting to improve.

Man Utd 0:3 Liverpool New
If it was his idea to bomb forward so aggressively when f'n Salah is roaming around, that was incredibly stupid. But i doubt it, as he adjusted his positioning in the second half and was no longer as adventurous. I like Dalot alot as a player, he's basically good at everything a fullback needs but the amount of work he gets through in games has to be mind blowing. He was dead by the 70th min today. The tactical structure is awful, leaving any fullback 1v1 against Salah that many times is bound to hurt you.

Someone did an analysis on Dalot last season and his forays into MF. It was a positive analysis.

Thought he took up a place in MF once Collyer came in for a bit too.

I wonder if that would be a good change for him? Basically to become a MF player?

I was in the South Stand yesterday and second half he was right in front of me. He was shouting for the ball from either Martinez, Onana or Mazraoui all the time when he had loads of space, the ball rarely went to him and when it did it was when he was under pressure. I could see him getting properly annoyed with it when the aforementioned 3 players decided not to make a semi risky pass and instead went back to the keeper, only for him to either twat it out of play, or make a long ball that came straight back.

At this moment he is maybe our best player.
By some distance surely.

Never complains when switched and always available for selection given he seems in great shape and was a Ronaldo discipline in terms of diet and training.

ETH needs to shift tactics whilst Mount out as still getting over run in midfield and attacking threat limited. When Shaw back why not use Dalot as a free man who can get forward (shown he can beat a man from a standing start which Rashford hasn’t done all season and he makes great runs through the middle once or twice a game and can deliver good and powerful crosses) and add extra legs in defence/midfield when needed.

Rather play with two up top to give him necessary freedom given, more often than not, Rashford is a passenger.

Not near good enough to be a starter at united in my opinion. However we are in the era of lowered expectations.

It’s crazy how our best defender is consistently played out of position. He’s not a left back ffs. How many other clubs so often play fullbacks on the ‘wrong’ side?

City, Arsenal they even play CBs at fullback, Dalot played left back at Porto before he even set foot at United

It’s crazy how our best defender is consistently played out of position. He’s not a left back ffs. How many other clubs so often play fullbacks on the ‘wrong’ side?

It's pretty common these days. Dalot has played LB at a standard level of proficiency quite a few times at united and elsewhere.

We also played AWB there last season for instance and he made his full debut for West Ham at LB

Don’t get the praise for him post match.
We were completely exposed by Liverpool down his side and defensively he was appalling. This sums it up

Maybe not his fault because he is not a left back and has Rashford in front of him who doesn’t defend.

We were completely exposed by Liverpool down his side and defensively he was appalling. This sums it up

Maybe not his fault because he is not a left back and has Rashford in front of him who doesn’t defend.

I don't see how Dalot is at any blame there. He was covering the outside and rightly so as there were players covering the inside. If you have to blame any defender there it's Licha who fails to easily step in front of that pass and clear the ball.

I've been a huge fan of Dalot especially since last season, he has taken his game to the next level and is one of the few players on the team that is competent on the ball and allows us to play anything cohesive.

Went through his profile, massive AWB fan :lol:

I don't see how Dalot is at any blame there. He was covering the outside and rightly so as there were players covering the inside. If you have to blame any defender there it's Licha who fails to easily step in front of that pass and clear the ball.

I've been a huge fan of Dalot especially since last season, he has taken his game to the next level and is one of the few players on the team that is competent on the ball and allows us to play anything cohesive.
So how is it a player gets praised yet we got ripped open time and again down his side? Something doesn't add up

So how is it a player gets praised yet we got ripped open time and again down his side? Something doesn't add up

Because he was often left 1v1 and sometimes 2v1 against the best winger the league has ever seen.

Also high up the pitch when our midfielders were brainlessly giving the ball away.

Not as if he was making silly mistakes and getting skinned regularly

What exactly are we meant to be looking at here?

I'm in agreement. He's never filled me with confidence to handle tricky wingers. He's done it before, but its hit and miss and you never know which version of Dalot you'll get on the day. I still remember his nightmare games against the likes of Mitoma and St. Maximin, only for AWB to shut them down after coming in at halftime and replacing Dalot.

Salah had a lot of joy against Dalot on Sunday. Ultimately Dalot came up short when it mattered most, but somehow his performance was still generally given a pass.

I'm in agreement. He's never filled me with confidence to handle tricky wingers. He's done it before, but its hit and miss and you never know which version of Dalot you'll get on the day. I still remember his nightmare games against the likes of Mitoma and St. Maximin, only for AWB to shut them down after coming in at halftime and replacing Dalot.

Salah had a lot of joy against Dalot on Sunday. Ultimately Dalot came up short when it mattered most, but somehow his performance was still generally given a pass.
He was up against in form Salah and TAA though without much cover from either Rashford or his midfield. His starting positions when we are building up are too high but that's what is being asked of him. Makes it difficult to get back goal side when we don't keep the ball to progress

I don't think he is getting praised. More about being sympathetic to a player who had to cover alone LB and the left side of the midfield.

Someone posted in another thread the average position of our players, and we had 7 players covering the right side. We were so heavily invested to the right, like the Germans in the recent elections.

I don't think he is getting praised. More about being sympathetic to a player who had to cover alone LB and the left side of the midfield.

Someone posted in another thread the average position of our players, and we had 7 players covering the right side. We were so heavily invested to the right, like the Germans in the recent elections.
He has definitely been getting praised. I read a few calling him our best defender after the game.

Hes backup right back when everyone is fit which is about right