De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we waiting on a couple of sales before buying anyone els?

To be fair, it seems pretty obvious this is the case. It's fair enough really.
Ye I agree. We can’t just go splashing cash without guaranteed money coming in. It’s good that we’ve got a few teams interested in some of the players we want to sell though.

Why? The idea that a single player is going to run around and cover the pitch for Mainoo, de Ligt, when Bruno loses the ball and our stupid style of play where our other CM and AM abandon the midfield is flawed and not based in reality. I don't think even Superman can cover that amount of area on the field. Also, what happens when Ugarte is out injured or suspended or rested? Who will make a "tonne of sense" then?

If the player is, as per you, slow, isn't good in one on ones, not aerially dominant and only a 'bit better on the ball' than Maguire then nothing about his signing makes sense, forget tons of it.
I’m not sure where you have gotten this opinion of De Ligt from.

I’m not saying he’s bad at anything but I’m comparing him to the best CBs in the league for certain metrics.

De Ligt is a very good CB, he’s just not the best at anything. He would be an improvement on Maguire, but I’m unsure how much of an impact he’d make relative to his fee (which I’ve said a few times could be spent elsewhere).

What De Ligt does offer is well above average ball progression from passing (which he’s definitely better than Maguire at) and carrying (not necessarily tonnes better) composure on the ball (better) and is very good aerially too (worse).

So you pair him with an Ugarte and you’ve got a ball winner that allows De Ligt to have the time to get into position and be very secure out of possession whilst also having a pair of CBs whose on the ball ability makes up for Ugarte’s.

Now we can always say what happens if X is injured or Y but hopefully with good squad building that appears to be happening now at the club we’ll have the requisite depth to find solutions.

A good example is the signing of Zirkzee and Yoro as both offer depth and qualities that none of our other players do which may help us alleviate pressures in other areas of the pitch should they arise.

This one will take a while, but he'll come
I honestly think we're looking at LCB/LB options now. We've signed Yoro to be first choice sooner rather than later and De Ligt's on starter wages. That's why they wanted Branthwaite to cover both sides, but Everton wanted silly money. Bayern are also asking for too much given how big his wages are.

Maybe they'll come back to it if they can't get anyone else, but I think it's more likely now they'll sign someone else to cover a couple of positions and keep Maguire to ease Yoro into the PL.

They're all dead in the water until we sell players.

So just dead then?
We just don't do that selling stuff... when we do, it's for peanuts. Every now and then we actually get a decent fee, like Schneiderlin, Di Maria (which both were losses though) and now Greenwood.

So just dead then?
We just don't do that selling stuff... when we do, it's for peanuts. Every now and then we actually get a decent fee, like Schneiderlin, Di Maria (which both were losses though) and now Greenwood.
Greenwood is a very good few/arrangement given the circumstances. Willy we got a good fee + buyback, Donny finally offloaded for peanuts but with loads of extras if he ever finds form again. I think Sancho will be next.

So just dead then?

I mean it just seems negative for the sake of it to say shite like this, no? Different regime, at least wait and see what happens. Surely its more enjoyable to be positive and hopeful?

They're all dead in the water until we sell players.

I think the potential deal for De Ligt was dead as soon as we signed Yoro, and will not be revived. If we bring in another CB, it will be a LCB who can also cover LB, but that, as you say, is probably dependent on shifting a CB (Lindelof/Maguire). To bring in a midfielder, we'll need to get rid of McTominay or Casemiro and to bring in a fullback, we need a buyer for AWB. Otherwise, I suspect we're looking at loan deals.

What is happening with this deal? It's been discussed for over a year now. If he hasn't made his mind up yet, after all this time, then we need to draw a line under this. Football is moving on and other players are emerging, playing etc. ETH seems besotted by De Ligt.

What is happening with this deal? It's been discussed for over a year now. If he hasn't made his mind up yet, after all this time, then we need to draw a line under this. Football is moving on and other players are emerging, playing etc. ETH seems besotted by De Ligt.

He wants to join United and Bayern want to sell. We don't want to pay Bayern's asking price and probably aren't even in the market anymore for a RCB after signing Yoro, so it looks unlikely that this will happen.

To be fair, it seems pretty obvious this is the case. It's fair enough really.
Possible yes. But what we have spent? 50M net? It doesn´t sound very much and i could imagine that we can make one more signing anyway. Of course the number of players could become a problem if we don´t sell anybody.

German outlet Kicker just released an article outlining how Bayern is in a vicious cycle due to the crazy high salaries of their players and how desperate they are to sell.

They speculate that only De Ligt, Mazraoui and Coman have a market right now but the fact that sales don't seem close makes the planning for the transfer window very difficult.

You can run the article through Google translate if you like:

https://www.kicker.de/die-last-der-millionen-1040080/artikel

If you're still in the market for him, your negotiation position should be excellent as long as you stay patient...

Reactions: BenitoSTARR
BM wants Tah and they have been quoted 40m Euro. We should also offer them maximum 40m Euro for DeLigt. Prepare to walk away if anything more. We shouldn't overpay because:

1) Tah is a better player
2) Tah is with much lower wages
3) Tah is more suitable to their style of play hence they are desperate to sell
4) Tah is better with injuries records
5) BM gets to weaken their main rival, they have been doing this for ages
6) We can use Maguire or Lindelof for one more year and go for Branthwaite next season instead
7) We need to make a statement to world football we are not going to overpay
8) DeLigt may not be suitable for PL as the intensity and pace are much higher than Bundesliga and Serie A
9) We could be stuck with another non performing player with huge salary which can't be offloaded
10) BM is not a selling club. Say what you want. But I feel extremely fishy that BM is actively trying to offload DeLigt. BM fans claim because of the wages and I say bullshit. BM can afford that. To me 100% performance related and Tah is a much better player. BM don't sell their best players.
11) He has not perform up to the expectations in Serie A and Bundesliga. The chances of him doing well in PL is pretty low based on his track records trend. Hence, this is a high risk move for a player with very high wages.

Should we go for him instead?

Should we go for him instead?

He's big and not especially nimble. He struggles to deal with tricky/pacey players. I don't think he'd be a great fit in the Premier League and is 28 years old, which seems to be outside the age parameters of what Ineos are targeting.

German outlet Kicker just released an article outlining how Bayern is in a vicious cycle due to the crazy high salaries of their players and how desperate they are to sell.

They speculate that only De Ligt, Mazraoui and Coman have a market right now but the fact that sales don't seem close makes the planning for the transfer window very difficult.

If you're still in the market for him, your negotiation position should be excellent as long as you stay patient...
There's a market for Coman?

I genuinely think we are at the point where the most urgent outgoings are probably sorted now. INEOS probably want to have a deeper look at the remaining players before setting a value on them or losing money just to sign players of similar quality. I think that’s probably why things have slowed down. The two who can raise the most money in Casemiro and Sancho could still be very good players for us if managed correctly.

AWB, at the very least a decent squad player. Maguire same. There seemed to be some interest in McT and Lindelof. I could imagine all now want to be starters somewhere at their age but are good squad options for us if the price isn’t right.

There will probably be a flurry of activity once we get back from tour. I’m confident the team has already been nicely upgraded with Yoro and Zirkzee and we will be harder to beat next season if that’s all the business we do. It won’t be though. De Ligt will come, too much noise and he’s too good of a player and a character to have in the bag and then reject.

Full back and midfield need work for sure

I genuinely think we are at the point where the most urgent outgoings are probably sorted now. INEOS probably want to have a deeper look at the remaining players before setting a value on them or losing money just to sign players of similar quality. I think that’s probably why things have slowed down. The two who can raise the most money in Casemiro and Sancho could still be very good players for us if managed correctly.

AWB, at the very least a decent squad player. Maguire same. There seemed to be some interest in McT and Lindelof. I could imagine all now want to be starters somewhere at their age but are good squad options for us if the price isn’t right.

There will probably be a flurry of activity once we get back from tour. I’m confident the team has already been nicely upgraded with Yoro and Zirkzee and we will be harder to beat next season if that’s all the business we do. It won’t be though. De Ligt will come, too much noise and he’s too good of a player and a character to have in the bag and then reject.

Full back and midfield need work for sure

If that's all the business will definitely lose it, midfield is a huge issue which at least needs a signing, also versatile FB will help a lot

As long as we can’t generate some revenues of Casemiro, McT etc we don’t even deserve a new player

Be patient guys, for once it's not us trying to sell an overpaid flop.

If there was no interest from us, the deal being spoken about will be loan with option to buy to some Italian club with the wages being subsidized and the option never exercised.

That's mental, 7 x players earning €17million per season each. No wonder they can't shift them.

I think de ligt will be a utd player by the close of the window, we just have to be patient.

A year?! Are you trolling?

Jeez one week of no news and everyone starts creating their own stories from us being broke to never wanting the player!! And then people wonder why journalists like Fabrizio keep tweeting nothing updates. Because everyone seems to want daily news when transfers don't really work that way.

Bayern want and need to sell him. We have brought in one defender already and in process of moving one or two out. We have enough time and can test Bayern patience on this. We are not that far off anyway and i fully expect a middle solution (40-45m euros) will be agreed if we want him

Thanks for sharing this. Very insightful. I’m sure our negotiating team knows this.

But seems we also need to sell a few players before spending more.

Having said that - do anticipate this one closing in the next few weeks.

We do need to buy 1 more CB for sure. As we will lose Varane, Kambwala and Lindelof (hopefully).

And our other two CB targets seem unattainable for now - Todibo and Branthwaite.

Status
Not open for further replies.