De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bayern wants to get rid of him, he's on crazy salary, he's had an injury ridden season. Why should we pay 50m for him? I can't see anyone giving us 40m-50m for the likes of Sancho. So why should we cough so much money for De Ligt?

Im not saying Stone doesn't get sources from the club. I'm saying what he reports ends up being pointless as it's a known fact by the time he finally puts an article out. The other journalists you refer to are far better at getting the scoop. A lot of them corroborate and don't just go by agents alone.
Being the first to say something is just food for muppets. Treat Stone as a confirmation source from United perspective. For example, we’ve been briefed by Bayern through their journalists that the deal is not moving forward because of such and such. Stone saying this is basically us replying, saying that we’re not budging and will move to other targets. Hence after Stones comment you see someone from Bayern responding to that and stating their belief that Bayern should hold firm.

Reading the state of our transfers is about knowing who each clubs’ mouthpieces are and recognising the situation based on those journalists. Ornstein, Ducker, Stone and Sky are the people you want to pay attention to for where we are in a deal. Other journos will be speaking on behalf of other clubs or agents we’re dealing with and so will be relaying the opposing clubs thoughts, which don’t normally align with our thoughts on a transfer.

Depends how you view it, I'm getting from the tweet that negotiations have stopped, whereas everyone else is reporting we're still apart in valuations.
Here is the full article so that you can make an informed decision on your view.

I’m glad if negotiations are over. Called that would happen on here a couple of times too. Surprised United even tried to sign him

It is more or less this

After the Ajax CL run under ETH, De Ligt would probably have been the CB I wanted more than any other at United. However it's been five years since then and you barely hear anyone talking about his performances. For comparison, once Varane started playing regularly at Real it was always clear how good he was. Has De Ligt actually been that good?

I suppose it's really just the come down from what he once was predicted to be to what he is likely to be now. At Ajax he looked like he had the potential to be the best CB of his generation. Nowadays you would say that he is probably a good CL level CB. To be clear I am by no means saying that he is not good, it is just difficult to get excited over a player who you think is unlikely to ever live up to their early promise.
This is why it's better to watch players or just don't have a strong opinion.

If you're choosing to get your opinions based on the noise you see on your social media that's fine but I'd suggest at least to be self aware that your opinion is basically worthless.

Bayern wants to get rid of him, he's on crazy salary, he's had an injury ridden season. Why should we pay 50m for him? I can't see anyone giving us 40m-50m for the likes of Sancho. So why should we cough so much money for De Ligt?

The only way this stupid pursuit makes any sense is getting him on a loan where we take care of his stupid wages and an option to buy. Otherwise, mark my words, this will end up in a disaster.

Maybe we should try and tempt Tah to OT. He's cheaper, better and he'll provide the experience that Yoro miss.

Better is debatable. He has had one season, this one, better than de Ligt i 22/23 for Bayern.

Might be a bit cheaper, but also three years older. If you give Tah a five year contract his sales value are zero nearing the end when he will be 31-32. If you give de Ligt a five year contract you could consider extending or selling at 28-29.

Bayern used to be able to fetch 40m for a player with one leg.......
But they have been shite lately. Maybe it's our time

The only way this stupid pursuit makes any sense is getting him on a loan where we take care of his stupid wages and an option to buy. Otherwise, mark my words, this will end up in a disaster.

I am not anti De Ligt perse. I can see positives in the deal. He's a tall and powerful CB, he's a leader, he's a great passer of the ball, he's still young and he's not the fastest of CBs but he's hardly Maguire. Having said that there's issues as well. He's had an injury ridden season, hisn current salary is monstrous and he's not WC irrespective what many say. If Bayern lower the fee and he lowers the salary (35m+170k) then I am not against the deal. If not then we should move on. We've got a generational talent on board and its evident that Jarrad remains our no 1 long term target. Let's get someone like Tah for 20m instead. He'll provide us with what we need and by the time he kicks his career's bucket Yoro would be in his prime while Jarrad's contract would be heading towards the end (or Everton would be in the Championship)

Better is debatable. He has had one season, this one, better than de Ligt i 22/23 for Bayern.

Might be a bit cheaper, but also three years older. If you give Tah a five year contract his sales value are zero nearing the end when he will be 31-32. If you give de Ligt a five year contract you could consider extending or selling at 28-29.

Tah is cheaper, he's faster and he's taller. He's 3 years older but its not a necessarily bad thing considering that we would want him to decline at a time when Yoro is heading in his prime and when Jarrad's contract is heading towards the end. Meanwhile those 30m spared (minus salary) can be used in midfield or on the rear flanks.

I am not anti De Ligt perse. I can see positives in the deal. He's a tall and powerful CB, he's a leader, he's a great passer of the ball, he's still young and he's not the fastest of CBs but he's hardly Maguire. Having said that there's issues as well. He's had an injury ridden season, hisn current salary is monstrous and he's not WC irrespective what many say. If Bayern lower the fee and he lowers the salary (35m+170k) then I am not against the deal. If not then we should move on. We've got a generational talent on board and its evident that Jarrad remains our no 1 long term target. Let's get someone like Tah for 20m instead. He'll provide us with what we need and by the time he kicks his career's bucket Yoro would be in his prime while Jarrad's contract would be heading towards the end (or Everton would be in the Championship)

Getting someone cheaper and good makes more sense to me. If we believe that our starting CB's are going to be Yoro and Martinez then we need someone for rotation, not another player on 200k+ who'd want to start most games. We are in the 'project stage' as a club. We can afford to start a 18 year old defender and a 19 year midfielder to let them grow and make us title challengers in a couple of years time. There is no hurry.

Fair enough. I still think it’ll end that way. I don’t think the Branthwaite pursuit is over though.
I have that feeling myself that Branthwaite is the player we really want. But personally, I hope we go for De Ligt over him.

De Ligt is a proven quantity while with Branthwaite and Yoro, we'd have 2 relatively unproven CBs. Also, none of us know if Martinez can stay fit for an entire season so I'd be uneasy with 2 young CBs being our primary pairing. Branthwaite has great potential, but at this stage I'd rather go for De Ligt.

Getting someone cheaper and good makes more sense to me. If we believe that our starting CB's are going to be Yoro and Martinez then we need someone for rotation, not another player on 200k+ who'd want to start most games. We are in the 'project stage' as a club. We can afford to start a 18 year old defender and a 19 year midfielder to let them grow and make us title challengers in a couple of years time. There is no hurry.

In my opinion its evident that Jarrad was our no 1 priority and for good reason. He's tall and good in air which complements Martinez greatly, he can play as LB, LCB and RCB which gives us options, his salary isn't that high and he's fast which makes him suitable for a high line. He isn't perfect though. His distribution of the ball is meah and the fee Everton is asking is beyond ridiculous. They basically outpriced him.

Tah can do what Jarrad does and more. He's fast, he's comfortable both as LCB and RCB, he's experienced, his distribution of the ball is great and he's cheap. Sure he's 28 but he's still got 5 good years left in him which makes his 25m fee look like a bargain. His decline will also concede at a time when Yoro will be heading towards his prime and Jarrad's contract is heading towards the end.

We all should be patient and it should be done with reasonable wages and fees to make sense. Otherwise prepare to walk away. We are not run by Woody anymore. More importantly we need to make a major statement to others that we are not drunken sailor anymore.

We should be trying to get this done ahead of the Arsenal game.

Don't think this is going anywhere, would have be nice if a deal could have been struck at a reasonable value but we shouldn't be going to 50m+ for a player they clearly want to move on.

The United SEG is already calling the present admin's stupid for not getting the teacher's pet for 42m. He'll soon be saying that we should write off the season and give teacher a free pass again.

While I agree that United shouldn't pay 50m for him, his case is quite different from Sancho who was basically banished from the club. United are still asking for 35m to sell him despite all that.

While I agree that United shouldn't pay 50m for him, his case is quite different from Sancho who was basically banished from the club. United are still asking for 35m to sell him despite all that.

Both are not wanted by their own club (De Ligt was pushed out by two clubs really) and both are on silly salaries. Sancho had near Messiesque stats at Dortmund for quite a long stretch of time. The last time De Ligt was considered was considered a top top player (potential wise) was at Ajax and his price had been dropping since then. Sancho didn't spent a big chunk of last season injured either.

Last edited:
There’s a risk he’d turn out to be another overpaid and overhyped footballer. United are wise in sticking to their price.

Both are not wanted by their own club (De Ligt was pushed out by two clubs really) and both are on silly salaries. Sancho had near Messiesque stats at Dortmund for quite a long stretch of time. The last time De Ligt was considered was considered a top top player (potential wise) was at Ajax and his price had been dropping since then. Sancho didn't spent a big chunk of last season injured either.
But De Ligt remained a starter whenever fit at Bayern and Juve. He's not wanted but it's a similar case to de Jong, they wouldn't be annoyed if he stayed and likely he would still play a lot. Sancho has significant disciplinary problems. Without them, he's 3rd choice behind an inconsistent winger and a teenager.

I don't even rate de Ligt much but he represents a higher value than Sancho.

Being the first to say something is just food for muppets. Treat Stone as a confirmation source from United perspective. For example, we’ve been briefed by Bayern through their journalists that the deal is not moving forward because of such and such. Stone saying this is basically us replying, saying that we’re not budging and will move to other targets. Hence after Stones comment you see someone from Bayern responding to that and stating their belief that Bayern should hold firm.

Reading the state of our transfers is about knowing who each clubs’ mouthpieces are and recognising the situation based on those journalists. Ornstein, Ducker, Stone and Sky are the people you want to pay attention to for where we are in a deal. Other journos will be speaking on behalf of other clubs or agents we’re dealing with and so will be relaying the opposing clubs thoughts, which don’t normally align with our thoughts on a transfer.
Im not talking about being first to news.

Sky uk is notoriously shit, sky Italy and Sky Germany are better though.

Plettigol was first for De Ligt, Sami Mokbel comes out with very dependable news early doors and Chris Wheeler is also very good.

It's certainly not Stone/Ornstein or bust. Ornstein is also not like Stone. The latter has next to zero exclusives and writes news when it's pretty much already happened and reported. Ornstein doesn't do that.

Last edited:
I’m glad if negotiations are over. Called that would happen on here a couple of times too. Surprised United even tried to sign him
Well done on congratulating yourself for calling a scenario that hasn't happened. Great work.

But De Ligt remained a starter whenever fit at Bayern and Juve. He's not wanted but it's a similar case to de Jong, they wouldn't be annoyed if he stayed and likely he would still play a lot. Sancho has significant disciplinary problems. Without them, he's 3rd choice behind an inconsistent winger and a teenager.

I don't even rate de Ligt much but he represents a higher value than Sancho.

The only difference between us and Bayern is that we handled the Sancho deal badly but they didn't. Don't believe for one second that a club like Bayern would put a first team player on the transfer list for a cut price out of Lulz. They want him out just as we want Sancho out. They even got his replacement already lined up something that it isn't the case with us. Not to forget that currently no one else had bided for De Ligt and he is only interested in us. That gives us an advantage as well.

Regarding disciplinary issues one can argue that almost everyone (whose not from the Eredivisie) had fallen out with ETH at one point of his career. Casemiro, Varane, Rashford, Sancho, Maguire....the list looks endless. We mustn't forget also that ETH would probably be managing Go Ahead Eagles if it wasn't for that FA cup final win as well. Could it be the case that Sancho isn't that bad after all?

Sky UK are not shit. They just don’t speculate - they get confirmation before they report anything
They are quite shit. They very rarely report anything that's early doors. Most of their news is already established by other journalists.

As already mentioned, there are various journalists with strong links to the club, making Stone a bit pointless on transfers outside of cementing what we know.

Bayern can de Ligt my balls if they think we're giving them €50m+ for some cnut whose dad is only marginally fatter than his pay cheque.

Sky UK are not shit. They just don’t speculate - they get confirmation before they report anything
I mean it depends, if we're talking about the Chuckle Brothers Dharmesh Sheth and Kaveh Solhekol then yes they're a complete waste of time. Both have seemingly mastered the art of talking without actually saying or revealing anything of substance.

Status
Not open for further replies.