De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the feck is wrong with you
???? how do you take exception to what I said ???? the point is Bayern are in a a much stronger bargaining position if Yoro picks up an injury pre-season.... failing to see how that offends you

???? how do you take exception to what I said ???? the point is Bayern are in a a much stronger bargaining position if Yoro picks up an injury pre-season.... failing to see how that offends you
I thought you'd meant like because they didn't sign Yoro so they'd be happy he was injured. It's still a bit of a mad thing to say but I do get what you mean now though. Don't believe it changes anything in terms of our negotiating position anyway.

need to get this done - I've been a long-time fan. In a different class to Branthwaite right now

Reckon this is nearly there anyway - Bayern need to finalise their replacement first without their seller knowing they’ve got more cash.

Game of chess and dominoes.

Once PSG and Bayern sign their main targets then lots of transfers should fall into place.

Another potential twist in the saga. The way it's worded, not sure if it's one more CB in addition to Tah.

I wasn't really sold on this transfer tbh, but given Yoro's injury I've changed my mind. We need a cb good enough to start the season. Still open to that being Branthwaite also. I don't think De Ligt is anywhere near as good as many on here suggest but he's still a significant upgrade on our other cbs outside of Martinez and Yoro and is good enough to start the season.

Another potential twist in the saga. The way it's worded, not sure if it's one more CB in addition to Tah.

This should mean Bayern would want to keep De Ligt, right? If they still want to sell despite this, alarm bells should start ringing.

This should mean Bayern would want to keep De Ligt, right? If they still want to sell despite this, alarm bells should start ringing.
Bayern already have Kim, Upemacano and Dier. In addition they want to recruit Tah. Also, Ito can play LB as well and my understanding was he was signed as cover for both positions (especially given the uncertainty over Davies). Bayern fans on here please feel free to correct me. Don't think this injury will have much of an impact on De Ligt's future.

At least many of their fans seems to think that now they should not sell any CB this summer.

De ligt and mazouri have the same agent. As mazouri deal is almost done, reckon Utd will get de ligt done next week.

If we start the season with the likes of Maguire and McTominey starting games, we are done before it starts.

Can’t do the same thing and expect the results to be any different.

de Ligt and Ugarte are absolutely necessary transfers.

If we start the season with the likes of Maguire and McTominey starting games, we are done before it starts.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Maguire playing games.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Maguire playing games.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the way it forces us to set up and finishing 8th, you are correct.

Better players = better finish. If people want to keep hold of Maguire and McTominey, don’t complain when we stay out of the CL places.

If Yoro is out for a few months (not confirmed) then I presume we will speed this deal up.

This will at least complicate and delay the deal. Still Bayern want to sell due to financial reasons.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the way it forces us to set up and finishing 8th, you are correct.

Better players = better finish. If people want to keep hold of Maguire and McTominey, don’t complain when we stay out of the CL places.
Maguire finished 2nd and 3rd.

This will at least complicate and delay the deal. Still Bayern want to sell due to financial reasons.
Nothing too complicated on Bayerns end.

If they wrap up the MDL sale to us they get to complete the sale of their top target to replace him in Tah, weakening their title rival in the process, while freeing up wage space for the likes of Doué/Simon/Olmo whoever they end up with.

Works out quite well for them regardless of injury to their new CB.

Maguire finished 2nd and 3rd.

So did Ole, it doesn’t mean we should expect it consistently. Why depend on the likes of Bruno or a great Rashford season to get us over the line?

Why not bring in proper players in more positions so we are competitive consistently?

Maguire wouldn’t be on City/Arsenal’s bench and wouldn’t be chosen by any modern or forward thinking manager.

So many players on the pitch every week that are “ok squad players”. Where do people expect to finish consistently?

Again, absolutely nothing wrong with Maguire. Lumping him in with McTominay is farcical.

Again, absolutely nothing wrong with Maguire. Lumping him in with McTominay is farcical.
It’s not farcical, we have such a massive gap in midfield because the defense can’t push up with slow players. Maguire means we can’t play the way the manager envisions. It’s just a fact and we saw it time and time again last season.

He shouldn’t be playing, and the tactical conpromise that is needed when players like him start, costs us points.

So did Ole, it doesn’t mean we should expect it consistently. Why depend on the likes of Bruno or a great Rashford season to get us over the line?

Why not bring in proper players in more positions so we are competitive consistently?

Maguire wouldn’t be on City/Arsenal’s bench and wouldn’t be chosen by any modern or forward thinking manager.

So many players on the pitch every week that are “ok squad players”. Where do people expect to finish consistently?
Yeah was going to say next to Lindelof too. Most fans won't mind if he left, but if it doesn't happen, he's still alright as backup. Arteta also couldn't move some of the players he inherited, and ended up letting them leave for free or cancelling their contracts.

It’s not farcical, we have such a massive gap in midfield because the defense can’t push up with slow players. Maguire means we can’t play the way the manager envisions. It’s just a fact and we saw it time and time again last season.

He shouldn’t be playing, and the tactical conpromise that is needed when players like him start, costs us points.
De Ligt isn't quick.

Relatively slow defenders can still play as part of a proactive side, Maguire isn't particularly averse to pushing up the pitch, our manager was able to create at least two iterations of a successful side with Daley Blind in his back line at Ajax, and our issues defensively stemmed more from poor decisions or effort from our players at the top end of the pitch.

If Yoro is out for a few months (not confirmed) then I presume we will speed this deal up.

I’d like to think our defensive plans are more well thought after than reacting to an injury.

I still don’t believe he’s a top target. It Lindelof finally leaves I feel we will pivot to alternative options. De ligt is probably depending on the departure of Maguire and to me it would make sense.

Maguire is a decent PL defender, but he doesn’t play for a top team lads. de Ligt has won titles in three different top divisions. It’s not even a contest. Better footballers = better results.

More game time for Maguire, McTominey, Lindelof etc means worse results for the team.

I’m wondering who you think we should have sitting on the bench?

I’m wondering who you think we should have sitting on the bench?

When one of your starters is Martinez, it would be wise to have 3 top class options. City have Dias, Stones, Gvardiol and Akanji. Arsenal have Saliba, Gabriel, Calafiori. We should have Martinez, de Ligt and an 18 year old Yoro.

Modern football has changed, the best teams in the world have at least 17-18 top class players. It’s a squad sport now, and ours has always let us down.

People want the best of both worlds. “Maguire is fine”, “McTominey is a great squad player”, then players like them, Lindelof and Wan Bissaka end up playing serious minutes.

If you go to the likes of Villa, Spurs or even Palace, none of them would start for any of those clubs, but our supporter base, because we are Manchester United, still expect to get results in those games.

You can’t go to these teams and win by merit of being a big club. If you start the game with 4-5 players that wouldn’t get a look in for the opposition, you have no consistency. You will nick some, you will lose some and you will finish 6th.

If we want better results, we need better players and we need quality in our squad. If players like Maguire and McTominey play 2000+ minutes this season, you can kill your optimism for the season right now. It won’t be any different.

When one of your starters is Martinez, it would be wise to have 3 top class options. City have Dias, Stones, Gvardiol and Akanji. Arsenal have Saliba, Gabriel, Calafiori. We should have Martinez, de Ligt and an 18 year old Yoro.

Modern football has changed, the best teams in the world have at least 17-18 top class players. It’s a squad sport now, and ours has always let us down.
No I’m wondering where all these players are coming from to sit on our bench

How can United get another 100 million in for transfers? What can Ineos do to comply with the rules so we can sign De Ligt and Ugarte? I think with these 2 joining, our transfer window will be over. I can look forward to the season with some optimism. I might still end out of the top 4, but the squad's quality looks a lot better than the previous year.

How can United get another 100 million in for transfers? What can Ineos do to comply with the rules so we can sign De Ligt and Ugarte? I think with these 2 joining, our transfer window will be over. I can look forward to the season with some optimism. I might still end out of the top 4, but the squad's quality looks a lot better than the previous year.
Sell

I think Maguire is fine temporarily but forces Ten Hag to change tactics yet again to accommodate a backline with no pace. But yeah I agree that De Ligt and Ugarte will put us in a good situation.

I still think dragging it out as much as possible is fine. Get them in towards mid / end of august or even deadline day. Casemiro, Mainoo, Bruno is good enough to start with in the middle. Yoro / Martinez would also have been fine to start with but the injury is unfortunate, we might need to push a bit harder for De Ligt.

Status
Not open for further replies.