De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bayern want and need to sell him. We have brought in one defender already and in process of moving one or two out. We have enough time and can test Bayern patience on this. We are not that far off anyway and i fully expect a middle solution (40-45m euros) will be agreed if we want him
Yea they still need sales with them still trying to get Doue/Simons and Tah this summer. Think we'll see this go through without fuss once we get a few more sales out

No. If we're buying a CB from Leverkusen, it should be Tapsoba or Kossonou.
You should not buy CBs from Leverkusen period. None of them is particularly good

You should not buy CBs from Leverkusen period. None of them is particularly good
I personally would worry with any of them after playing in such a good system, but those two have some good attributes.

German outlet Kicker just released an article outlining how Bayern is in a vicious cycle due to the crazy high salaries of their players and how desperate they are to sell.

They speculate that only De Ligt, Mazraoui and Coman have a market right now but the fact that sales don't seem close makes the planning for the transfer window very difficult.

You can run the article through Google translate if you like:

https://www.kicker.de/die-last-der-millionen-1040080/artikel

If you're still in the market for him, your negotiation position should be excellent as long as you stay patient...
No need, I know a little German. In fact, he lives right next door.

Madrid apparently interested.

He’s clearly not our first choice second option for the defence. I still feel he’s below Branthwaite on the priority list. But it makes sense. We don’t need a first team RCB. We just brought one.

So, if this does happen are we looking at De Ligt and Martinez starting the season or Yoro/Martinez?

Either way Utd need to establish a strong defensive performance that really hasn't been there in recent years. Numbers were decent in 22/23 with Varane/Shaw and Licha all fit and performing well but there were many games Utd got pumped in or De Gea had to bring vintage games.

Playing a non insane midfield set up will definitely help.

So, if this does happen are we looking at De Ligt and Martinez starting the season or Yoro/Martinez?

Either way Utd need to establish a strong defensive performance that really hasn't been there in recent years. Numbers were decent in 22/23 with Varane/Shaw and Licha all fit and performing well but there were many games Utd got pumped in or De Gea had to bring vintage games.

Playing a non insane midfield set up will definitely help.
I‘d see De Ligt Martinez as the starting set up with Yoro getting a lot of games as well. Eventually Yoro will establish himself as the starting rcb.

If Maguire doesn‘t leave, we would rotate him in too. That‘s four cb‘s and Evans as another backup.

We hear a lot of rb speculation, but we need to get a lb in to cover Malacia‘s delayed return.

I‘d see De Ligt Martinez as the starting set up with Yoro getting a lot of games as well. Eventually Yoro will establish himself as the starting rcb.

If Maguire doesn‘t leave, we would rotate him in too. That‘s four cb‘s and Evans as another backup.

We hear a lot of rb speculation, but we need to get a lb in to cover Malacia‘s delayed return.

Would be a clear upgrade as a group, Yoro/Martinez/De Ligt and Maguire with Evans an emergency back up is a pretty solid group, maybe another pacy option would be preferable.

Having said that, still a reliance on Martinez staying fit to bring balance and passing incision, especially if we end up with Ugarte as the DM.

I think Yoro will start, I know he's young but there's a reason we made him number 1 priority and paid for him more than we're willing to for others. Mainoo, Yoro, Garnacho, Hojlund etc will be the stars and face of Ineos project.

Would be a clear upgrade as a group, Yoro/Martinez/De Ligt and Maguire with Evans an emergency back up is a pretty solid group, maybe another pacy option would be preferable.

Having said that, still a reliance on Martinez staying fit to bring balance and passing incision, especially if we end up with Ugarte as the DM.
Martinez will always be a miss because he is one of the very best progressive passers among cb‘s. I don‘t think we should be fixated on this.

Yoro was playing some incisive passes, I think he is an upgrade in that aspect on Varane. De Ligt‘s passing is more reliable than Maguire‘s.

Overall, it looks pretty positive.

Yoro will be first choice. Theirs a reason he choose to join us and he was persuaded by us offering him first choice football. He’s already quality at such a young age and ETH isn’t afraid to start with youngsters. We will have him, Mainoo and Hojlund as the core of the team.

Yoro will be first choice. Theirs a reason he choose to join us and he was persuaded by us offering him first choice football. He’s already quality at such a young age and ETH isn’t afraid to start with youngsters. We will have him, Mainoo and Hojlund as the core of the team.
Maybe. It‘s a big step to the PL, I can see De Ligt being the more trusted option at first. But I fully expect Yoro become the first option at rcb.

Maybe. It‘s a big step to the PL, I can see De Ligt being the more trusted option at first. But I fully expect Yoro become the first option at rcb.
They'll all play at the end of the day, ETH does tend to have a fixed 11 though. He kept the Varane-Martinez duo throughout the first season and also as soon as they were both fit at the end of last season.
I think the club probably fancies Braithwaite more, I think he's the more ideal third choice who can cover both Martinez and Yoro when absent. In that sense Yoro replaces Varane and Braithwaite replaces Maguire long-term. The financial effort we're putting in reflect this as well.

Not most of his career.

Lindelof was first choice since 2018 until 2022, only when Varane arrived he wasn't first choice.
We’re going into the 24/25 season, he also had the entire period he was playing more with everyone saying he wasn’t good enough and knowing we were chasing CBs. This wasn’t even my point, I was saying if De Ligt turned out not as good as hoped, he’d still be a more useful backup at a similar enough price to what Lindelof came for.

We’re going into the 24/25 season, he also had the entire period he was playing more with everyone saying he wasn’t good enough and knowing we were chasing CBs. This wasn’t even my point, I was saying if De Ligt turned out not as good as hoped, he’d still be a more useful backup at a similar enough price to what Lindelof came for.
Agree with everything you said, De Ligt is far more a better player than Lindelof, and yes it's been 3 seasons since Lindelof was relevant, but at least first half of his career here he was first choice CB, not that we had amazing CBs that he had to compete with, but at least he was available and selected to start ton of games.

He'd be the best paid back to CB in the league though

Can’t we put an offer into Tah instead? Cheaper and a better player.

Cheaper sure, better? Not at all. There is a reason that 28 year old Tah has played for HSV and Leverkussen while 24 year old de Ligt has been a starter for Juventus and Bayern.

De Ligt is younger and better. If Tah wasnt German, (a lot) cheaper and buying him wouldnt weaken the competition, then Bayern would never try to sign Tah to replace de Ligt.

Everyone keeps repeating the last part, they're planning buys yet haven't made sales yet.

Somethings got to give for them to improve their squad

Last edited:
De Ligt and Mazraoui for around £50-55m would be excellent business IMO. I do have concerns about injury records but they are both good players who we know how high technical ability and know what the manager wants. We’ve got some absolute dross than we can ship out to cover both transfers anyway

If we go in next season with Maguire we are in for another long season. This needs to done soon. If Bayern not playing ball . Then find another target. Another Centre back is still massively needed

Status
Not open for further replies.