De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bayern wants to get rid of him, he's on crazy salary, he's had an injury ridden season. Why should we pay 50m for him? I can't see anyone giving us 40m-50m for the likes of Sancho. So why should we cough so much money for De Ligt?
One thing I would say is his age. It’s clear he’s a good player but I understand people who want us linked with the crème de la crème and aren’t keen on this one. What I think is a good fee is £40m if his injury record checks out. Key for me is he can play possession high line or deeper, he’s more tactically flexible than Maguire and just all round better than Lindelof. So at worst he’s a 3rd/4th choice CB who is bloody solid and hopefully means we never have that injury nightmare again for CBs.

This is why it's better to watch players or just don't have a strong opinion.

If you're choosing to get your opinions based on the noise you see on your social media that's fine but I'd suggest at least to be self aware that your opinion is basically worthless.

Did I say that my opinion on the player is significant or did I say that I personally was not excited about this transfer.

I mean it depends, if we're talking about the Chuckle Brothers Dharmesh Sheth and Kaveh Solhekol then yes they're a complete waste of time. Both have seemingly mastered the art of talking without actually saying or revealing anything of substance.

Pair of absolute cnuts.

He is on 263k a week mate. Unless he goes for 160k-190k a week then he'll be on crazy salary
He was going to lower his salary from 12.7m pounds to 10m pounds a year. It would be 190k per week including bonuses.

Strongly agree. Happy someone mentioned this. May be I am jelous: they are masters of earning for living adding absolute ZERO of value.
It's honestly mind boggling that they are employed by such a massive media company, yet seem to have absolutely no inside sources.

The only difference between us and Bayern is that we handled the Sancho deal badly but they didn't. Don't believe for one second that a club like Bayern would put a first team player on the transfer list for a cut price out of Lulz. They want him out just as we want Sancho out. They even got his replacement already lined up something that it isn't the case with us. Not to forget that currently no one else had bided for De Ligt and he is only interested in us. That gives us an advantage as well.

Regarding disciplinary issues one can argue that almost everyone (whose not from the Eredivisie) had fallen out with ETH at one point of his career. Casemiro, Varane, Rashford, Sancho, Maguire....the list looks endless. We mustn't forget also that ETH would probably be managing Go Ahead Eagles if it wasn't for that FA cup final win as well. Could it be the case that Sancho isn't that bad after all?
There's no need for a replacement if Sancho is sold. His disciplinary problems have also been well-documented for years before Ten Hag.

How did Ten Hag fall out with Maguire? Disagreeing with players about management style is hardly falling out either. It's not a very good argument, especially with the hyperbole about falling with almost everyone and managing Go Ahead Eagles.

One thing I would say is his age. It’s clear he’s a good player but I understand people who want us linked with the crème de la crème and aren’t keen on this one. What I think is a good fee is £40m if his injury record checks out. Key for me is he can play possession high line or deeper, he’s more tactically flexible than Maguire and just all round better than Lindelof. So at worst he’s a 3rd/4th choice CB who is bloody solid and hopefully means we never have that injury nightmare again for CBs.
He ain't coming to Utd to be 3rd / 4th choice CB. He will be a starter alongside Martinez for most games. He's 24 and won the league in Holland, won the league in Italy and won the league in Germany. He is known for his strength, leadership, aggressiveness, tackling and aerial ability. He would be huge coup for us.

Winning titles in multiple countries by 24 isn't an easy feat. Yes he's had injuries, so has Martinez. This is where Yoro hopefully comes in and gets game time of one of them is injured.

Bayern can de Ligt my balls if they think we're giving them €50m+ for some cnut whose dad is only marginally fatter than his pay cheque.
He can De Ligt his own balls. Thank you very much.

He ain't coming to Utd to be 3rd / 4th choice CB. He will be a starter alongside Martinez for most games. He's 24 and won the league in Holland, won the league in Italy and won the league in Germany. He is known for his strength, leadership, aggressiveness, tackling and aerial ability. He would be huge coup for us.

Winning titles in multiple countries by 24 isn't an easy feat. Yes he's had injuries, so has Martinez. This is where Yoro hopefully comes in and gets game time of one of them is injured.
Doesn’t really matter where players think they’ll be re first XI or not, what matters is how they play. Lindelof was meant to be a starter for us, he’s happily sat as 4th choice or lower for most of his career. I agree I think De Ligt is a good player, my point is his age makes him attractive even if people think he’s a 6 or 7 out of 10 and, if it doesn’t work out, he’s vastly better than what we have lower down the pecking order right now.

How’s his physicality? Was told he would struggle in the PL due to lack of that.

Well hopefully not too bad because Martinez and an 18 year old is not a great idea against most PL opponents. Especially when we are probably going to let them all have about 1,000 attacks per game unless we sign an entire new midfield.

Bayern need to sell if they want to do this squad rebuild. Same with PSG if they want Neves. I can understand why these deals are dragging on longer or why they might not even come off in the end. This deal should be relatively easy though. It’s not a fortune, the club want to sell, the player wants to come and we definitely will need someone of his profile if we do eventually sell some experienced defenders.

It’s starting to feel like we feel like cat and mouse for the rest of the window is the way to go which is grand as long as the team is ready for the start of the season. Ugarte for 70 million is ridiculous for example when they will eventually sell for what they paid for him or keep an unhappy player who hasn’t fully kicked on. Bayern are willing to take a hit on De Ligt, same way we would be willing to on someone like Sancho. Gotta keep things fresh as possible, keep the talent moving, don’t let players get complacent.

To be fair, it could be that negotiations have stopped due to both clubs feeling they won't meet in valuations. Plus we now have to sell and it looks like we're short on suitors who will pay what we need to buy players like de Ligt.

Yeah definitely seems we are short on suitors

In Germany it's reported that the Tah deal stalls. Leverkusen wants 40 million Euros for an 28 year old with 1 year contract.
If Kompany values de Ligt, I can see Bayern keeping him.
Makes no sense to replace de Ligt with the 4 years older Tah without making some significant profit from these transfers.

In Germany it's reported that the Tah deal stalls. Leverkusen wants 40 million Euros for an 28 year old with 1 year contract.
Makes no sense to replace de Ligt with the 4 years older Tah without making some significant profit from these transfers.
Tah wouldn't be on 330k, I think, so you would be making a profit in a way.

It makes sense if they went to be more successful next season. Signing Tah weakens Leverkusen and strengthens the physical profile of their back line by offering a more mobile CB.

Last edited:
What do you mean by more able, Benito?
Although I do unquestionably believe Tah has had a far superior season and shown himself to be a better player than De Ligt last season.

There are also 60+ games to be played. More than enough games for everyone. Football requires a deep squad. And having four front line center backs is an absolute must.

I see us haggling to get the best deal possible as we look at the squad needs and budget holistically.

Aaargh, gotcha :lol:

I haven’t really watched Tah, so was interested to see what you meant. I’ve read on here that he’s a wonderful passer out from the back though.
Oh he’s very good. His composure and ball playing has improved immensely since Alonso took over. I’d consider Tah an upgrade on De Ligt.
Yeah that entire Leverkusen team seems to have performed a level above most other teams/players last season.
Tah has always had the physical gifts to be a very good CB and it appears he’s been fully unlocked tactically now playing to his strengths and allowing him to flourish by simplifying his game.

Oh he’s very good. His composure and ball playing has improved immensely since Alonso took over. I’d consider Tah an upgrade on De Ligt.

Tah has always had the physical gifts to be a very good CB and it appears he’s been fully unlocked tactically now playing to his strengths and allowing him to flourish by simplifying his game.
At least it makes sense why Bayern is after him - weakens a rival, strengthens themselves potentially whilst making a profit on the deal and lowering the wage bill.

At least it makes sense why Bayern is after him - weakens a rival, strengthens themselves potentially whilst making a profit on the deal and lowering the wage bill.
It’s also why I think we’re right to hold out here even if it means missing out on De Ligt.

I don’t think he’s got the perfect physical profile for the PL. He’s not slow in a straight line but he’s also far from agile and there are certainly faster players about.

What I see De Ligt as (rightly or wrongly) is a better version of Maguire. A bit better on the ball, maybe less aerially dominant but he’s not Saliba/Van Dijk in terms of 1v1 duels and I don’t see him allowing us to move up the pitch higher with great confidence unless paired with the Ugarte signing at which point it makes a tonne of sense.

It’s also why I think we’re right to hold out here even if it means missing out on De Ligt.

I don’t think he’s got the perfect physical profile for the PL. He’s not slow in a straight line but he’s also far from agile and there are certainly faster players about.

What I see De Ligt as (rightly or wrongly) is a better version of Maguire. A bit better on the ball, maybe less aerially dominant but he’s not Saliba/Van Dijk in terms of 1v1 duels and I don’t see him allowing us to move up the pitch higher with great confidence unless paired with the Ugarte signing at which point it makes a tonne of sense.
Yeah I rate MDL a bit higher but I agree with most of what you’re saying. Probably why I think we need an Ugarte type more than say, a Zubimendi type.

Yeah I rate MDL a bit higher but I agree with most of what you’re saying. Probably why I think we need an Ugarte type more than say, a Zubimendi type.
Whereas if we signed Yoro as a starter then a Zubimendi makes more sense.

BM wants Tah and they have been quoted 40m Euro. We should also offer them maximum 40m Euro for DeLigt. Prepare to walk away if anything more. We shouldn't overpay because:

1) Tah is a better player
2) Tah is with much lower wages
3) Tah is more suitable to their style of play hence they are desperate to sell
4) Tah is better with injuries records
5) BM gets to weaken their main rival, they have been doing this for ages
6) We can use Maguire or Lindelof for one more year and go for Branthwaite next season instead
7) We need to make a statement to world football we are not going to overpay
8) DeLigt may not be suitable for PL as the intensity and pace are much higher than Bundesliga and Serie A
9) We could be stuck with another non performing player with huge salary which can't be offloaded
10) BM is not a selling club. Say what you want. But I feel extremely fishy that BM is actively trying to offload DeLigt. BM fans claim because of the wages and I say bullshit. BM can afford that. To me 100% performance related and Tah is a much better player. BM don't sell their best players.
11) He has not perform up to the expectations in Serie A and Bundesliga. The chances of him doing well in PL is pretty low based on his track records trend. Hence, this is a high risk move for a player with very high wages.

Why? The idea that a single player is going to run around and cover the pitch for Mainoo, de Ligt, when Bruno loses the ball and our stupid style of play where our other CM and AM abandon the midfield is flawed and not based in reality. I don't think even Superman can cover that amount of area on the field. Also, what happens when Ugarte is out injured or suspended or rested? Who will make a "tonne of sense" then?

If the player is, as per you, slow, isn't good in one on ones, not aerially dominant and only a 'bit better on the ball' than Maguire then nothing about his signing makes sense, forget tons of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.