De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he actually injury prone?
If you want to talk facts without hyperbole, then no he isn't injury prone. As someone posted the stats above he's had 2 major injuries in his career so far. One was a shoulder injury so not something that will affect him much as a footballer.

The only significant injury he's had is a knee injury last season. If one major injury is enough to get you the label of injury prone, then he is one. For anyone with common sense, he isn't.

Him being out of the Dutch squad could potentially help us getting this over the line before the tournament concludes.

What's the story with this? Was it a Luke Shaw type call up where he wasn't fit? Don't think he has played at all has he?

According to bundesliga.com de ligt is the second slowest CB Bayern has (the last being dier on a minimal difference) Kim and upamecano is faster then him

Considering how badly we need pace and power at centre back I don't really understand buying De Ligt. I guess its better than nobody if we end up in a situation where Casemiro's filling in at the back. However, just buying another Maguire type doesn't feel like the move.

Yup, funny how quickly the narrative here shifted from "the new structure will make up for ETH's shortcomings and help us improve" to "let's just get all the players ETH wants again".

They'll be ETH targets if said targets are underwhelming, but if they sign and have an amazing season it'll shift to the structure.

If a target is exciting thr structure is working but if they sign and underwhelming there will be mass research done to see if ETH has some sort of connection to pin that signing on ETH.

It's quite sad, he's here and will be for a while yet, it's best just supporting him and the club amd if by Christmas we witness what we seen last season then put the pressure on. Right now being ETH out is just a waste of energy at this point in time

What's the story with this? Was it a Luke Shaw type call up where he wasn't fit? Don't think he has played at all has he?
He's been actually called up! I thought they left him out.

I thought he was injured so perhaps same with shaw.

They'll be ETH targets if said targets are underwhelming, but if they sign and have an amazing season it'll shift to the structure.

If a target is exciting thr structure is working but if they sign and underwhelming there will be mass research done to see if ETH has some sort of connection to pin that signing on ETH.

No. If we sign an ex-Ten Hag ex-Ajax player, it's because of Ten Hag. Whether he plays terribly or becomes the best player in the league.

Not him please. The signings has far too many red flags and hopefully it is the new transfer team just hyping up this rumour to let other teams know that we have alternate options. Ideally want nothing to do with this

It's quite sad, he's here and will be for a while yet, it's best just supporting him and the club amd if by Christmas we witness what we seen last season then put the pressure on. Right now being ETH out is just a waste of energy at this point in time
The point I was making is that our transfer strategy doesn't appear to have changed much, even though it was almost universally agreed as one of the main factors that had been holding us back.

Considering how badly we need pace and power at centre back I don't really understand buying De Ligt. I guess its better than nobody if we end up in a situation where Casemiro's filling in at the back. However, just buying another Maguire type doesn't feel like the move.

De Ligt was fantastic at Ajax. At Juventus he was at the brink of becoming a parody signing with a series of hand balls. Then he improved enough because 'they weren't ambitious enough', they signed Bremer who had shown to be the better player, he then moved to Bayern and after just 2 years he seems to be available again and on a silly salary. His injury record is not good either. He lost 20 games last season according to transfermarkt

The high line require fast players. In fact all of Bayern CBs are comfortably faster then him. Upamecano clocked 35km/h, Kim clocked 34.32km/h and potential signing Tah clocked 35.81. Even Dier is faster at 33.52km/h. De Ligt is on 32.81km/h. He's faster then Maguire at 30.2km/h but he's slower to Lindelof 33km/h, Dunk 33.15km/h and he's certainly slower to Guehi nearly 34km/h and branthwaite at 35.1km/h

Aerial ability is the one thing Martinez struggle with. De Ligt at 1.8 aerial won is better then him and Lindelof but is at par to Saliba and Dias and nowhere near to the likes of Jarrad 2.6 or Maguire at 3.3

Unless we sign him on a loan with an option to buy and with Bayern footing some of his salary then this deal doesn't really make sense

ETH seems obsessed with Eredivisie people. He signed Martinez, Malacia, Antony and look set to add RVN and Heke to his coaching staff alongside Van de gaag. Instead of moving half of Holland in Manchester he should consider moving to Holland himself.

The point I was making is that our transfer strategy doesn't appear to have changed much, even though it was almost universally agreed as one of the main factors that had been holding us back.
I don't know why fans expected wholesale changes in transfer strategy this summer to be honest. What needs to change immediately is how we bid and negotiate for players.

I’ve quickly changed my mind. He’s still young, a leader and loves the art of defending (like an Italian). Ideally I would prefer a defender with more pace but if we can still get Branthwaite we are looking like a far better side at the back.

Yup, funny how quickly the narrative here shifted from "the new structure will make up for ETH's shortcomings and help us improve" to "let's just get all the players ETH wants again".

The new structure won't have an effect on scouting for transfers until they are fully in place

It’d make me nervous if he’s the only CB we sign. If he’s one of two it’s a no brainer.
Todibo and him would be perfect. If it is true that we made a appeal to UEFA regatding Todipo's transfer, then he is our priority.

Be interesting if we can play the deals for De Light and Branthwaite off each other with Bayern and Everton ie can walk away from one and just pursue the other if can't reach something close to our valuation.

If we could sign both for around £100m, that would be good business and really transform our back line and allow us to probably get rid of both Maguire and Lindelof.

He's the opposite of what all the defenders of Ten Hag's system have been telling us we need.

Be interesting if we can play the deals for De Light and Branthwaite off each other with Bayern and Everton ie can walk away from one and just pursue the other if can't reach something close to our valuation.

If we could sign both for around £100m, that would be good business and really transform our back line and allow us to probably get rid of both Maguire and Lindelof.
I think they’re out in the open now… Ornstein has said the two are independent to each other

It has in some way. We are not going all in for one target. We made a contact for 5 or 6 defenders already. With that we are sending a message that we will not overpay. If we will stick to that then it is a progress. Also, all targets are 25 or younger.

De Vrij is above him in the pecking order. De Vrij has always been good for Oranje whereas De Ligt in Oranje well...

Todibo and him would be perfect. If it is true that we made a appeal to UEFA regatding Todipo's transfer, then he is our priority.

I would need to hear that from Romano/Ornstein or any of the usual tier 1 Utd sources to believe it

Based on most of the targets we've been heavily linked to according to the usual reputable sources (Orny, Romano, etc.)

I really wonder which players we would need to be linked with for no one to claim nothing's changed or it's still ETH calling the shots all by himself.

In theory, as he will be injured most times
I’ve seen a couple of your posts where you falsely claim he is injury prone. Maybe you should look at the games he missed before you make these injury prone comments.

Ugarte or Kirkez

Bingo.

I was going to say in a different thread, if people want to see any positivity regarding transfers, these are exactly the sorts of targets where you'd find it.

Not in a De Ligt thread. All we want to see are promising players in the right stages of their careers who aren't ex-Ajax or run by SEG, or a Bayern/Real cast-off. It shouldnt be much to ask for.

He's the opposite of what all the defenders of Ten Hag's system have been telling us we need.
Untrue. He's quick on the turn, he is very comfortable on the ball, he's comfortable in a high line and he's a leader. He's not Varane level quick, but he's not Maguire level slow.

Bingo.

I was going to say in a different thread, if people want to see any positivity regarding transfers, these are exactly the sorts of targets where you'd find it.

Not in a De Ligt thread. All we want to see are promising players in the right stages of their careers who aren't ex-Ajax or run by SEG. It shouldnt be much to ask for.

Mind you haven't heard Kerkez from anyone reliable

According to bundesliga.com de ligt is the second slowest CB Bayern has (the last being dier on a minimal difference) Kim and upamecano is faster then him
Depends on what you define as slow. Acceleration? Maybe (though I think Kim may be slower). But being quick on the turn? Nah, Dier is surprisingly agile. From what I read directly by Bayern fans, he makes far less mistakes than Kim/Upa too. He reads the game much better and he's much better on the ball.

Bingo.

Not in a De Ligt thread. All we want to see are promising players in the right stages of their careers who aren't ex-Ajax or run by SEG, or a Bayern/Real cast-off. It shouldnt be much to ask for.

You forgot Dortmund players as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.