De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chelsea fans also told us how great Mount was, doesn’t mean anything.

Because Mount has been bad whenever he's played, or what? What a ridiculous comment. Injuries are one thing, but he's played well whenever he's played.

Having a broken bone and some clumsy lump fall onto his knee doesn’t really scream underlying injury issues for me.

He weighs about 8 stone and has a super aggressive style. He's missed 3 decent length slots in 2 season.

let's really hope those are anomalies now and he's properly healed.

So I will ask who that has recovery pace needed
I'm not knowledgeable enough to provide an answer, but hope the club can scout someone with the necessary attributes. Unless you're saying that in the upcoming season, there will be no breakthrough young defender(s) across the big leagues. The alternative is to sign someone who may tick a similar number of boxes but are less reputable and hence cheaper.

Signing a defender lacking in the key attributes I mentioned earlier for big money just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

They will just both need to play how they played at Ajax. Push foward and be agressive in defending while having Onana sweep behind them. Both Martinez and de Ligt arent speedsters.

Your nickname Daley Blind is one of the slowest players. He played next to de Ligt with Onana behind them during Ajax their semi final CL run. A lack of speed wasnt an issue.

Indeed, a lack of speed isnt a major issue, a lack of control is, even if we had speedy CBs, a lack of control will expose those CBs, as a team we need to control and dominate the ball, which requires set of players that can play out from the back and pin teams down, City play with Dias & Stones, or even someone like Akanji, these guys aren't that quick but they are rarely exposed due to how City dominate and control the game.

For me my issue with De Ligt is his ability, he isn't a top class CB, maybe a good one but not a top class, the fee Bayern will demand and his wages are too much for someone like De Ligt.

City play with Dias & Stones, or even someone like Akanji, these guys aren't that quick but they are rarely exposed due to how City dominate and control the game.

Obviously it also helps having one of the quickest ever premier league players, in Walker being the sweeper

Sign him and Branthwaite.

Sell Maguire and Lindelöf.

Martinez, De Ligt, Branthwaite, Kambwala and Evans is positive.

Sign him and Branthwaite.

Sell Maguire and Lindelöf.

Martinez, De Ligt, Branthwaite, Kambwala and Evans is positive.

Can't sell both Maguire and Lindelöf even if we sign two CBs IMO, unless the club is absolutely certain that Kambwala has what it takes to be 4th choice and start getting more playtime next season.

Along with Fab he is the one with the Oracle type status on herethat breaks the news on all the genuine targets so they get the most attention from me.
I just think that they put up posts that are fillers until the deal is done.
Ornstein doesn't do that because he's with a publication. Romano is freelance so he does do that which is annoying to some. Both are very reliable though and get a lot of exclusives.

Obviously it also helps having one of the quickest ever premier league players, in Walker being the sweeper

I agree but Walker won't cover every where, we beat them in the cup final and 2 of our goals came from the opposite side of Walker, of course a quick CB makes a difference in many situations but in general, the team must control and dominate and without that opponents will always have the chance to run at you and no cb (quick or not) will be able to handle that.

So who’s in charge of transfers now? I’m a bit surprised De Ligt was the best solution they could come up with as Varane’s replacement. If you told me glazers were still fully in charge I’d believe it tbh. Hopefully I’m wrong.

All our links feel like ETH's suggestions again.

If we don't get a faster starting RCB the back line can't press higher. This was identified over and over as our issue this season - how have we forgotten this? A faster, ball-playing RCB and improvement at CDM were our most obvious shortcomings. It's why our backline was so exposed and why we shifted so many shots and more goals vs the year before.

Nothing against De Ligt - a wonderful defender, but I don't see how this fits our needs. Feels too early in the window to be making a desperation signing that doesn't check our boxes.

If we don't get a faster starting RCB the back line can't press higher. This was identified over and over as our issue this season - how have we forgotten this? A faster, ball-playing RCB and improvement at CDM were our most obvious shortcomings. It's why our backline was so exposed and why we shifted so many shots and more goals vs the year before.

Nothing against De Ligt - a wonderful defender, but I don't see how this fits our needs. Feels too early in the window to be making a desperation signing that doesn't check our boxes.

Which faster starter CB has all the attributes and of course is actually available and open to move

Can't sell both Maguire and Lindelöf even if we sign two CBs IMO, unless the club is absolutely certain that Kambwala has what it takes to be 4th choice and start getting more playtime next season.
Kambwala must stay fit otherwise he is good enough to be the "4th choice"..........he has shown more than for example Lindelöf last season.

Kambwala must stay fit otherwise he is good enough to be the "4th choice"..........he has shown more than for example Lindelöf last season.

He's shown some promise, but there's a big difference between 331 league minutes, which is the amount he played in the PL last season, or potentially having to start week in week out, if we suddenly suffer one or two injuries.

However, he's at the stage of his career where he needs a big increase in first team football playtime, but it should only happen at United if he's ready for it.

There's a reason Juventus and now Bayern moved him on, or at least trying too. He doesn't catch the eye whenever I've watched him play and I don't think that United are in a position to buy 'worth the risk' players, we need players to hit the floor running!

The best football de ligt has played was under ETH. If he can get that tune out of him again then there’s a really really good player there.

Yup, funny how quickly the narrative here shifted from "the new structure will make up for ETH's shortcomings and help us improve" to "let's just get all the players ETH wants again".

There it is, then. Like I said earlier in this thread, I have a feeling this will happen, as there's good value in this deal if it happens for between 40-50m IMO, and getting a starting quality RCB this early in the window would give us some comfort and allow us to both buy some time, and to not be seen as desperate to selling clubs, if we do want to buy a 2nd CB as well.

Why are Bayern looking to sell at such a big loss?

Because they know he's well on the way down and have one of the 2 dim idiot clubs with hilariously sh!Te transfer policies (us and Chelsea) interested?

Been a fan of de Ligt since he emerged in that excellent Ajax team in Europe.

The injuries over last season are a concern, but if we're sure they're behind him, he would be a great replacement for Varane. I'd just hope we bring his wage down from what Bayern are currently paying him.

Would be a leader in the backline and an attacking threat in the box.

If I was to guess, I'd say the likes of Murtough and Woodward went back to the Glazers and asked for more money. I don't think the Glazers would have specifically told the club "we need to sign Antony and here's the money to do it". I doubt they even knew who Antony was.

I mean, Ten Hag wanted to sign Antony, but sanctioning the outlay came from above...isn't that how every club works? No manager signs off on money. And it's not on finance guys to say if they're worth it. Ten Hag and everyone 100% knew what we were paying for him, and that it was beyond the budget allocated.
Woodward wasn't in the picture at the time, he'd left the club. Richard Arnold, Cliff Baty and Michael Stewart are the ones referenced 'from above' with Baty and Stewart specifically mentioned by name as the two from above.

No, every club doesn't operate like how we did in that summer because the decision to move away from certain players due to rising costs is made by the footballing personnel at the club who had decided to move away from signing Antony per reports. And those footballing people had both Garnacho and Amad Diallo as players who they had brought to the club, so naturally they would've been inclined to push their own players into the first team. Why they were undermined by the higher ups is the issue and hence the budget changing in the last week of the transfer window is why the blame is on the Glazers because they only dipped into the revolving credit facility with time running out in the transfer window which left the club in a very weak bargaining position and any move at that stage was going to be reactive.

Erik ten Hag like numerous other managers will make mistakes as far as judging players with Guardiola himself making a number of errors which saw City waste 100s of £millions. But what you don't do as a ownership and board is to undermine your football departments who are working within the clubs football structure. At clubs like City, Dortmund, Barcelona, Bayern etc they don't have their head coach or DoF directly involved in negotiations hence it's reported that Bayern have used a well known agent for negotiating deals and City didn't have Txiki Begiristain or Guardiola involved.

The best football de ligt has played was under ETH. If he can get that tune out of him again then there’s a really really good player there.

This is why they say that "if" is the biggest word in the english language.

As we know from Ten Hag's, Van de Beek and Antonys performances. The PL is a slightly higher level than the Eredivisie.

De Vrij is very good and a former Serie A defender of the year.

It is also tactical. Dumfries will push forward and we defend with three defenders because de Vrij, Virgil and Ake form the back line. De Vrij is used to playing in a back three while de Ligt isnt at his best in a back three.
Thanks for explaining

Why are Bayern looking to sell at such a big loss?
They bought him for €65m two years ago and gave him a 5 year contract. Therefore he is still in their books for €39m.
No „big loss“ if they sell him for an adequate amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.