De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evans can’t. The rest can and have done so before
No, they can't. Because they get hurt. Maguire had 2-3 lengthy spells out and is clearly getting on. Lindelof needed surgery and was not the same after his return. Wan Bissaka never could and still can't.

Depends on what you define as slow. Acceleration? Maybe (though I think Kim may be slower). But being quick on the turn? Nah, Dier is surprisingly agile. From what I read directly by Bayern fans, he makes far less mistakes than Kim/Upa too. He reads the game much better and he's much better on the ball.

yet he's the one being sold and previously he was sold by Juventus for less money to what they bought him. We're also set to buy him for less money Bayern had spent on him

yet he's the one being sold and previously he was sold by Juventus for less money to what they bought him. We're also set to buy him for less money Bayern had spent on him
Juve needed money, and now Bayern need money. You can argue he's being sold because he's the most saleable asset. They are bringing in Tah and one other I believe.

Again, the Bayern supporters would know better than you or I would and literally all the posts I've seen (even on the Bayern forums) is that it's a brain dead move, and they're selling their best CB.

I think they’re out in the open now… Ornstein has said the two are independent to each other
Seems odd that apparently we only have a limited budget but we're linked with De Ligt, Branthwaite and Ugarte, who will likely cost north of £150m. If reports are to be believed, spending will be very dependent on outgoings.

I don't think those 3 raise the technical ability of this squad enough if I'm being honest. De Ligt is decent on the ball and a good leader and organiser, but Ugarte and Branthwaite aren't and too much will fall on Martinez and Mainoo to work the ball into the final third.

Bingo.

I was going to say in a different thread, if people want to see any positivity regarding transfers, these are exactly the sorts of targets where you'd find it.

Not in a De Ligt thread. All we want to see are promising players in the right stages of their careers who aren't ex-Ajax or run by SEG, or a Bayern/Real cast-off. It shouldnt be much to ask for.
Why does this matter if they're a good player at the right price?

Seems odd that apparently we only have a limited budget but we're linked with De Ligt, Branthwaite and Ugarte, who will likely cost north of £150m. If reports are to be believed, spending will be very dependent on outgoings.

I don't think those 3 raise the technical ability of this squad enough if I'm being honest. De Ligt is decent on the ball and a good leader and organiser, but Ugarte and Branthwaite aren't and too much will fall on Martinez and Mainoo to work the ball into the final third.

So who does raise that technical ability?

Bingo.

I was going to say in a different thread, if people want to see any positivity regarding transfers, these are exactly the sorts of targets where you'd find it.

Not in a De Ligt thread. All we want to see are promising players in the right stages of their careers who aren't ex-Ajax or run by SEG, or a Bayern/Real cast-off. It shouldnt be much to ask for.
Such a weird fixation you have to force narratives. Take the SEG point for example. We have less players from SEG than a lot of our PL rivals.

This is typical us. Out of the generation of top Dutch centre halves, we don’t get Van Dijk, Van de Ven or Ake, we get the slowest one that can’t get into the team. Of the entire collection of Ten Hag’s Ajax players, we get everyone except Frenkie de Jong.

De Ligt not worth it to me, similar player to Maguire and frequently injured at that.

So for me: No.

I guess I'd have nothing to say if I was hit with the facts too. Maybe try post reasonably next time.

Lindelof, AWB and Maguire are still capable of a high line, my arse :lol:
“Hit with the facts” Nah I’m actually cracking up. You said Lindelof needed surgery because he played a high line. Come on man that’s funny

Juve needed money, and now Bayern need money. You can argue he's being sold because he's the most saleable asset. They are bringing in Tah and one other I believe.

Again, the Bayern supporters would know better than you or I would and literally all the posts I've seen (even on the Bayern forums) is that it's a brain dead move, and they're selling their best CB.

De Ligt was shocking at Juventus through a big chunk of his career there. He was accused of playing handball at one point and Buffon defended him by saying that he's got the cloud of Fantozzi over his head (Fantozzi is an Italian version of Mr Bean and the cloud of Fantozzi attracts all misfortune on him). Throughout his last period he improved but Juventus signed a better player in Bremer that the majority are more happy with.

I repeat he seem to get cheaper at each step. We're talking of Juventus and Bayern here, two of the most shrewd sellers in football

Such a weird fixation you have to force narratives. Take the SEG point for example. We have less players from SEG than a lot of our PL rivals.

I think we should filter out everyone that's Dutch, everyone that's represented by SEG, everyone that ever played in the Eredivisie, and everyone that ever spoke two words to ten Hag, so that RedCafe will be happy.

“Hit with the facts” Nah I’m actually cracking up. You said Lindelof needed surgery because he played a high line. Come on man that’s funny
Lindelof can't stay fit, and nor can Maguire. You can't play unfit players in a high line, because it's a lot more physically demanding than playing in a low block. And Wan Bissaka could never play in a high line.

Maguire by the way was never that good in the few times he did play in a high line. He flopped terribly under Ole after a decent first season, and he didnt' play in as high a line at Leicester. Lindelof played in a low block for Jose which was his best phase for us. Now you have two players who were never that great in a high line, but thats immaterial because they cant stay fit either, which means its all redundant.

So yes, they can't play in a high line. It's astounding this has to be literally spelt out for you.

This is typical us. Out of the generation of top Dutch centre halves, we don’t get Van Dijk, Van de Ven or Ake, we get the slowest one that can’t get into the team. Of the entire collection of Ten Hag’s Ajax players, we get everyone except Frenkie de Jong.

De Ligt not worth it to me, similar player to Maguire and frequently injured at that.

Now you have had a moan who should be signed?

I’ve seen a couple of your posts where you falsely claim he is injury prone. Maybe you should look at the games he missed before you make these injury prone comments.
Someone posted the stats. He missed twice more than 20 games a season

De Ligt was shocking at Juventus through a big chunk of his career there. He was accused of playing handball at one point and Buffon defended him by saying that he's got the cloud of Fantozzi over his head (Fantozzi is an Italian version of Mr Bean and the cloud of Fantozzi attracts all misfortune on him). Throughout his last period he improved but Juventus signed a better player in Bremer that the majority are more happy with.

I repeat he seem to get cheaper at each step. We're talking of Juventus and Bayern here, two of the most shrewd sellers in football

Yeah that's not really true based on most of the Serie A followers I've spoken with. Come to think of it, you have been called out for your hand ball evaluation in this thread before:
He didnt fail at Juventus at all. He had a bad start where he made some very strange but unlucky handballs. Actually he started his career in our national team off with that too. Hand balls and red cards if i remember correctly.

When he left Juventus they financially couldnt keep going with their project to win the CL (also why they first signed and later sold Ronaldo) and went for cheaper players like Brenner. De Ligt left when he had two years left on his Juventus deal so they had to sell him. When he was leaving he was a very good player for Juventus.

He is the best defender at Bayern but it seems like they rather have two cheaper CBs instead of one de Ligt. That doesnt make him a surplus to requirement. He is still going to start for Bayern next year if they arent able to sell him.

Fair enough. His wages and maybe injury record are an issue. His ability isnt. He was touted to be the best defender in the world at Ajax. On an individual level he did well at Juventus and Bayern and is still only 24 years young.

The whole failed outside of Ajax narrative is just plain wrong. The fans of the clubs he actually played for disagree with that statement but somehow this forum seems to know better?

And I'll repeat - he's been Bayern's best center back.

Yeah that's not really true based on most of the Serie A followers I've spoken with. Come to think of it, you have been called out for your hand ball evaluation in this thread before:

You've been a huge cheerleader of all our ETH-driven targets over the last two years in their respective transfer threads, including Antony, Mount, and Arnautovic. So forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical of your appraisal.

You've been a huge cheerleader of all our ETH-driven targets over the last two years, including Antony, Mount, and Arnautovic. So forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical of your appraisal.
Funny, because I remember reading an Athletic tweet somewhere that De Ligt was offered up by INEOS to Ten Hag.

If you want to claim that's Ten Hag driven then you do you.

By the way I've been on record many times saying Antony was a bad signing and Ten Hag should take stick for that. Feel free to make things up though.

Exactly. The Van Dijk one always gets me. We could have had him for £15m at the time from Celtic but our ex Dutch national team manager went for Rojo instead for £16m + Nani :lol:

(and vetoed Kroos, the one Bayern player that would have been perfect for us)

We also probably have fewer Real cast-offs in the squad than some other clubs. Doesnt make Casemiro any less of a disaster.

Ex-Ajax/Eredivisie, SEG, big club cast-off.

What players have we signed under ETH who didn't fit into one or more of these categories? The answer is Jonny Evans, who wasn't even a strategized signing. Oh, and Bayindir who got one appearance against Newport County.

We also probably have fewer Real cast-offs in the squad than some other clubs. Doesnt make Casemiro any less of a disaster.

Ex-Ajax/Eredivisie, SEG, Real Madrid cast-off.

What players have we signed under ETH who didn't fit into one or more of these categories? The answer is Jonny Evans, who wasn't even a strategized signing. Oh, and Bayindir who got one appearance against Newport County.
That doesn't mean you make a blanket rule to avoid such signings. You scout and you trust your newly appointed heads to find quality players. If they happen to fall under those categories, you can't get pissy just because less diligence was done in the past under poorly qualified staff.

I didn't spoke alot about the German league because quite frankly I don't follow it enough to pass judgement on it but I do follow the Serie A a lot and had been doing so since certain Baresi, Maldini, Van Basten and co used to play there. So quite a long time.

Please explain to me why Juventus sold this superb CB for cheaper to what they bought him and Bayern are said to sell their best CB for cheaper to what they bought him from Juventus. I suggest that we wait a year or two to snap him up. After all if he continues this trajectory then we might be getting this fabulous specimen of a defender off someone else's hands.

Our pot increases from tomorrow (the rolling 3-year calc changes) and remember that transfer fees are amortised.

So if we had £30m PSR ‘allowance’, we can buy a £100m player on a 5-year contract and pay him £200k/wk. The fee is amortised to £20m per year and wages are £10m per year.

(*NB* very simplistic example I appreciate.)

You keep asking this. I'm not a scout.

But if we were linked with someone else you would no doubt be all over the thread saying we must sign said player too.

I have no issue with signing De Ligt as think we are looking to sign another one too

Our pot increases from tomorrow (the rolling 3-year calc changes) and remember that transfer fees are amortised.

So if we had £30m PSR ‘allowance’, we can buy a £100m player on a 5-year contract and pay him £200k/wk. The fee is amortised to £20m per year and wages are £10m per year.

(*NB* very simplistic example I appreciate.)
The 'pot' doesn't change at all tomorrow.

We're limited to a far greater extent by how much money we've got (or are willing to spend). Not the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.