De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tah just turned 28 so you could easily get 3-4 yrs from him at 25-30m is a good price in this day for a top class CB....he'd bring some experience with him alongside Yoro to help mentor him

When we sell Lindelof that will mean we can go and get De Ligt which will see them sign Tah

When we sell Lindelof that will mean we can go and get De Ligt which will see them sign Tah
we won't recoup the money for lindelof and probably have to pay 40m+addons for De Ligt so we will fund their move for Tah...seems about right

personally...i'd move Maguire before I'd move Lindelof if possible

Tah is overrated. Played a grrat season but profited from the whole team's top form. Wouldn't play anywhere near as good as he played last season when he joins us.

Just stick to our demands and remain confident, we'll eventually get De Ligt for less than €50m.

First paragraph is correct, second is false. At no point in that article did he claim United still like them but further arrivals would depend on departures.
He clearly states his own opinion which was that:

In parallel, United have been pursuing moves for Matthijs De Ligt and Leny Yoro. Progress has been achieved on each front recently, though the current expectation is they would recruit one or the other as opposed to both.

I argued with posters instantly that this was clearly just Ornstein’s own thoughts on the situation as he didn’t see United spending big on 2 CB’s. To me it’s always been very obvious we want Yoro and De Ligt, or if you line “one young an learnin” + one more experienced.

Not in that article, in subsequent comments:

Not in that article, in subsequent comments:

That tweet was a full day after the article.

By that point he clearly realised that despite Yoro being sorted, Utd were in fact still interested in another centre back so had to quickly correct his previous bit of intuition. No big deal though, as I say, it was clear to me that the original article and “expectation” was simply his own opinion and not something for people to take as concrete inside info.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I'm not De falling for De Jong or De Ligt transfer BS ever again. I'll believe it when they're sitting next the ETH with the pen. The former Ajax player transfer rumors are the new "we're signing one of Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo" summer fake sagas.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I'm not De falling for De Jong or De Ligt transfer BS ever again. I'll believe it when they're sitting next the ETH with the pen. The former Ajax player transfer rumors are the new "we're signing one of Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo" summer fake sagas.
We did sign Ronaldo though.

Well not really because ETH has openly spoke about the club wanting him so…..

That’s not what he said at all.
He said the expectation is that Utd will sign one of them and not both, but despite what posters claimed, it was always very clear to me that the expectation was from his own opinion.

"The Premier League team maintain their admiration for options such as Matthijs de Ligt of Bayern Munich and Everton’s Jarrad Branthwaite, although a further arrival is likely to depend on departures to create finance and squad space."

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5626457/2024/07/17/leny-yoro-manchester-united-transfer/

"The Premier League team maintain their admiration for options such as Matthijs de Ligt of Bayern Munich and Everton’s Jarrad Branthwaite, although a further arrival is likely to depend on departures to create finance and squad space."

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5626457/2024/07/17/leny-yoro-manchester-united-transfer/

Once again, 17th July mate. One day after his original article, which is exactly the point I made.
Once Loro was having his medical and Ornstein discovered we were in fact still in for De Ligt, he wrote a new small article/tweet correcting his previous own belief that, in his words “we were interested in one or the other and would not recruit both”.

Last edited:
we won't recoup the money for lindelof and probably have to pay 40m+addons for De Ligt so we will fund their move for Tah...seems about right

personally...i'd move Maguire before I'd move Lindelof if possible

Should sell both but doubt that would happen

he absolutely has to start getting a tune out of the players he has signed.
If you read his latest interview he goes into detail about the process of the signings that have been made, he was involved in the process, but he cannot be held fully responsible for there success or failure at United. I also think winning two trophies in two seasons, with the squad he has had, is getting a tune out of them.
I think its best to stop looking behind at what has happened before the takeover of the football side of the club, we know we were run by buffoons and we cannot change that. I am sure now we have experienced management in place above Ten Hag, things will improve over the next couple of seasons, If they don't then the manager will have to answer questions from his bosses.

Kind of relevant...

[Maximilian Koch] Uli Hoeneß on transfers: "No more players will come if two or three players don't leave first. Max Eberl and Christoph Freund know exactly that no one will come unless one or two prominent players leave. FC Bayern has no money shits."

They seem pretty desperate to sell.

Uli Hoeneß on transfers: "No more players will come if two or three players don't leave first. Max Eberl and Christoph Freund know exactly that no one will come unless one or two prominent players leave. FC Bayern has no money shits."
Is money shits the new financial lever?!

Please tell me that’s the German for “we don’t shit money”. Absolute legend if so.
It's basically that. A Geldscheisser is a hypothetical machine or creature (it's not clear, as it only exists in a phrase, but according to the syntax it could be both) that shits money. It's a quite common thing to say in Bayern or Austria when you see something that's more expensive than you think it should be. You then scornfully reject buying it and spit out a: "Heast, I hob jo kan Gödscheisser!"

Our offer for him should be 30 million.

They can only sell De Ligt for "big money" in the next days.......no one else is probably close for a sale.

feck me Ten Hag is talking about him, their camp is talking about Ten Hag. Is it the most obvious transfer in history?

feck me Ten Hag is talking about him, their camp is talking about Ten Hag. Is it the most obvious transfer in history?

I don’t think it’ll happen and never have thought so. If they free up money and space for another CB, I think they’ll find an agreement for Branthwaite

Is Uli Hoeness just trolling our baldy? :D
No. He’s incapable of trolling. He just says the first thing that comes to his mind and convinces himself it’s pure gold.

If we get decent fees for a couple of players headed out then I think United will make one final big bid for Branthwaite. If Everton reject that , De Ligt move would be completed in no time.

I found his comments post match to be strange to be honest. They are bang in the middle of their season so they’re fully sharp and we had a makeshift squad. He could have just said we’re not at the races yet but he went postal instead. Which to me sounded like a man who desperately wanted to distance himself from these poor performances and send a message to the new owners.

I have no doubt he also saw the same patterns from last season which is why he went on the attack, but then again he does this preseason and during the season talks about us creating the most chances instead.

Anyway, unless we get a couple of new CB’s I feel not much will change going into the new season, so let’s hope De Ligt or Branthwait will end up joining also.
No, not enough effort and Ten Hag called them out, which is his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.