De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Bayern and PSG have asked for too high an asking price. De Ligt + Ugarte will take a while I think. We'll need to monitor how sales go first.

This has cooled off quite a bit.

Real pity about this deal not quite going through as of yet.

What with Martinezs Injury record, Yoro is too young to shoulder responsibility while he learns, De ligt is the perfect candidate for 2nd/3rd choice CB.

Offload Maguire and Lindelof ASAP, then you have four quality cbs, Evans, De Ligt, Martinez and Yoro without the backline being too bloated.

I'm hopeful we've assured De Ligt to hold tight while we raise funds.

This has cooled off quite a bit.

Only because haven't sold Lindelof and maybe even Maguire too yet. Unless we really have got a chance of cut price Branthwaite I fully expect this to pick up again after selling a CB.

I'm not convinced that the lack of movement on de Ligt and Ugarte is being held up by any meaningful negotiations between us, them and their clubs. But probably more us and players leaving and potential clubs they are going to.

I truly believe that the money to cover the fees is already there, but Ineos want the wages bill under more control, as soon as some palatable bids land for players, I think a few will be out the door quickly. It won't be a masterclass of fee negotiating, just enough to sell to the fan base.

I'm not convinced that the lack of movement on de Ligt and Ugarte is being held up by any meaningful negotiations between us, them and their clubs. But probably more us and players leaving and potential clubs they are going to.

I truly believe that the money to cover the fees is already there, but Ineos want the wages bill under more control, as soon as some palatable bids land for players, I think a few will be out the door quickly. It won't be a masterclass of fee negotiating, just enough to sell to the fan base.
Bayern need to shift de ligt to buy tah.

They also need money to buy either Xavi Simons or Doue.

So I think Utd, think they can drive the price down.

As for ugarte, 5 clubs including us are interested in signing him. All are waiting for PSG to complete the João Neves deal so they can see if they can drive down the price for Ugarte after PSG sign Neves.

It's all football transfer chess at the moment. We just need to be patient.

Bayern need to shift de ligt to buy tah.

They also need money to buy either Xavi Simons or Doue.

So I think Utd, think they can drive the price down.

As for ugarte, 5 clubs including us are interested in signing him. All are waiting for PSG to complete the João Neves deal so they can see if they can drive down the price for Ugarte after PSG sign Neves.

It's all football transfer chess at the moment. We just need to be patient.

Yeah after a busy week in the window we now need to show a little bit of patience for next couple of deals

I just hope those palatable bids actually arrive

Only because haven't sold Lindelof and maybe even Maguire too yet. Unless we really have got a chance of cut price Branthwaite I fully expect this to pick up again after selling a CB.
There’s no pressure to force this. Bayern are exploring their options which is why they’re open to selling him, let them sign another CB first and then let them be in the position of having to sell one of their CB’s to reduce squad players. Then we’re back in business for this transfer.

I'd rather get De Ligt than Branthwaite.

I'm sure Yoro or Maguire could play in the left centre back spot if Martinez needs rotating.

Kinda worrying going into the season with Martinez, Yoro, Maguire, and Lindelöf. I don’t envisage it going any better than last season with Evan’s having to step in at various points and Yoro being asked to do way too much too soon. We need 3 new CB’s if we’re going to drastically improve our defensive stats.

I'd rather get De Ligt than Branthwaite.

I'm sure Yoro or Maguire could play in the left centre back spot if Martinez needs rotating.
me too. I think Branthwaite would be a good long-term addition, but he's too expensive and I also think de Ligt makes more sense at this point. Martinez at LCB and de Ligt at RCB would make for a well-balanced pairing and it would also give Yoro time to settle in. Martinez-de Ligt with Yoro, Maguire and Evans as backups (assuming Lindelof leaves) is decent depth.

me too. I think Branthwaite would be a good long-term addition, but he's too expensive and I also think de Ligt makes more sense at this point. Martinez at LCB and de Ligt at RCB would make for a well-balanced pairing and it would also give Yoro time to settle in. Martinez-de Ligt with Yoro, Maguire and Evans as backups (assuming Lindelof leaves) is decent depth.
There probably isn't much in it including wages on a 5 year contract.

But Yoro will be a starter

But Yoro will be a starter
if he is, then great. still need some squad depth and there is simply no guarantee that an 18 year old CB from Ligue 1 goes and is a day 1 starter at Man United. Adding someone like de Ligt would take off that kind of pressure.

There was no guarantee of Mainoo starting either - and look at him now. Yoro apparently has similar level talent
It is sheer naivety to think that a club will rest its season on the shoulders of an 18 year old CB. CBs and midfielders are not the same, there’s a lot more responsibility and maturity expected from the backline.

Yeah that partnership gives Yoro time to find feet

Kinda worrying going into the season with Martinez, Yoro, Maguire, and Lindelöf. I don’t envisage it going any better than last season with Evan’s having to step in at various points and Yoro being asked to do way too much too soon. We need 3 new CB’s if we’re going to drastically improve our defensive stats.
Evans isn't bad depth for a 5th CB. Who are the better 5th CBs around? It only became a thing to harp on because we had so many injuries, but I bet nobody would be happy with their 5th CB having played so much if they actually suffered the same amount of injuries as United.

Evans isn't bad depth for a 5th CB. Who are the better 5th CBs around? It only became a thing to harp on because we had so many injuries, but I bet nobody would be happy with their 5th CB having played so much if they actually suffered the same amount of injuries as United.

Well, in reality, the situation isn't that bad, although it could be improved.

I just don't know why ETH isn't salvaging Maguire and instead has been wasting him for 2 years now. He's still one of the best CCBs around, just needs to be utilised correctly.

Martínez is one of the best LCBs around, who could also play the LCB/LB role to the highest standard.

Yoro is the greatest U21 CB prospect in world football.

Evans and Lindelöf are fine to have as back-ups.

Branthwaite is a profile we're missing but if we get him there will be no excuses anymore.

The de Ligt chase only makes sense if we are immediately shifting Maguire. The Dutchman is only marginally better at Maguire in some niche things, like receiving the ball under pressure and from difficult angles. I'm surprised to see ETH chasing de Ligt as Maguire is a 99% similar player to him. The only reasons it would be a good move are age and from a financial viewpoint. Getting a 25 year old version of Maguire for £42m whilst letting Maguire go for around £20-25m would be very sensible...but if ETH never really considered Maguire as a first choice CB, then de Ligt's marginal superiority in those few aspects must mean a big difference to him.

Well, in reality, the situation isn't that bad, although it could be improved.

I just don't know why ETH isn't salvaging Maguire and instead has been wasting him for 2 years now. He's still one of the best CCBs around, just needs to be utilised correctly.

Martínez is one of the best LCBs around, who could also play the LCB/LB role to the highest standard.

Yoro is the greatest U21 CB prospect in world football.

Evans and Lindelöf are fine to have as back-ups.

Branthwaite is a profile we're missing but if we get him there will be no excuses anymore.

The de Ligt chase only makes sense if we are immediately shifting Maguire. The Dutchman is only marginally better at Maguire in some niche things, like receiving the ball under pressure and from difficult angles. I'm surprised to see ETH chasing de Ligt as Maguire is a 99% similar player to him. The only reasons it would be a good move are age and from a financial viewpoint. Getting a 25 year old version of Maguire for £42m whilst letting Maguire go for around £20-25m would be very sensible...but if ETH never really considered Maguire as a first choice CB, then de Ligt's marginal superiority in those few aspects must mean a big difference to him.

So what particularly about Branthwaite's profile do you think that we are badly missing?

So what particularly about Branthwaite's profile do you think that we are badly missing?

Pace. He's faster than all of Martínez, Maguire, Lindelöf and Evans. Both in acceleration and top speed IMO. In terms of physicality I think Branthwaite is also better than these guys, other than maybe Maguire.

Yoro isn't slow, and he's very athletic, but I consider him to be a long-term project, and someone I wouldn't give 55-60 matches a season just yet. So his current profile and what he might become by 21-22 years of age aren't relevant to me, when assessing our current CB options, unless we promised him a lot of game time starting from his very first season...I think that would be a bad idea, though.

Last edited:
I've not been following this latest saga (the Muppetiers scarred me ) but is this still going or did we get out first choice player early so now we are like errr actually for once we don't need to go down to our second tier target? Would de Ligt, Martinez and Yoro not be overkill for two CB positions given that we badly need to strengthen in other areas like LB and CM

And we can only have a squad of 25 so with Maguire and Lindelof and Evans still on the books that would be six, four of which on huge money.

I've not been following this latest saga (the Muppetiers scarred me ) but is this still going or did we get out first choice player early so now we are like errr actually for once we don't need to go down to our second tier target? Would de Ligt, Martinez and Yoro not be overkill for two CB positions given that we badly need to strengthen in other areas like LB and CM

And we can only have a squad of 25 so with Maguire and Lindelof and Evans still on the books that would be six, four of which on huge money.
We’ll go into the season with 5 cbs. This is needed. The 5th is Evans on a very low contract and as an emergency back up. Lindelof will likely leave. So we’ll have Martinez, Yoro and Maguire. I am sure we’ll add another CB and we need to, considering Yoro is 18, and accounting for injuries. De Ligt makes a lot of sense at the right price.

There is still a lot of movement to come this window.

We’ll go into the season with 5 cbs. This is needed. The 5th is Evans on a very low contract and as an emergency back up. Lindelof will likely leave. So we’ll have Martinez, Yoro and Maguire. I am sure we’ll add another CB and we need to, considering Yoro is 18, and accounting for injuries. De Ligt makes a lot of sense at the right price.

There is still a lot of movement to come this window.
I don't like to second guess who stays or goes, but cover at left back makes more sense to me. But you're absolutely right. Jonny Evans played far, far more games than he should have for us this season.

I feel like you missed my point. I’m not worried about Evan’s, I’m worried that he’s going to play too much because Maguire, Lindelöf, and Martinez can’t stay fit. Not only that, when Maguire and Lindelöf play we look absolutely shit, to the point where Evan’s is preferred in some cases.

There won’t be any noticeable change in our defence unless we sign at least one more CB.

Martinez probably won’t play a full season, I doubt Yoro is ready to play every week, twice a week, at this level, and I would imagine Martinez gets move out to LB at some point.

I feel like you missed my point. I’m not worried about Evan’s, I’m worried that he’s going to play too much because Maguire, Lindelöf, and Martinez can’t stay fit. Not only that, when Maguire and Lindelöf play we look absolutely shit, to the point where Evan’s is preferred in some cases.

There won’t be any noticeable change in our defence unless we sign at least one more CB.
I was assuming that the injury problems to the extent of last season wouldn't remain, because we would bring in 2 new CBs (not 3), and also due to the likelihood of this happening again are slim. So I was against a 3rd new CB, and I'm assuming Lindelof doesn't stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.