De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was assuming that the injury problems to the extent of last season wouldn't remain, because we would bring in 2 new CBs (not 3), and also due to the likelihood of this happening again are slim. So I was against a 3rd new CB, and I'm assuming Lindelof doesn't stay.
The lads are playing more football than ever, I wouldn’t rule out an injury crisis at some point, and with Ten Hags reluctance to rotate, the first 11 will probably start 3 times every week.

Not to mention, we’re yet to see if Ten Hag has actually learned anything from last season. I’m not making judgements yet, and it was only our first friendly, but Rosenborg had 22 shots on goal the other day, so it looks like suicide football could be here to stay…

The lads are playing more football than ever, I wouldn’t rule out an injury crisis at some point, and with Ten Hags reluctance to rotate, the first 11 will probably start 3 times every week.

Not to mention, we’re yet to see if Ten Hag has actually learned anything from last season. I’m not making judgements yet, and it was only our first friendly, but Rosenborg had 22 shots on goal the other day, so it looks like suicide football could be here to stay…
The Rosenborg game was atrocious, Ten Hag was pissed off afterwards. We were outworked and could not establish any control over the game.

Can‘t take too much away from that game though, but as Ten Hag said: we need to win every game. The players didn‘t show that and that is reprehensible.

Ten Hag tactics will work only with fully committed sharp players.

I don't know how you can take anything away from the Rosenborg game in terms of what we'll be like tactically. It was essentially their attack against our defence the whole game due to the gap in fitness levels. We didn't play "suicide football." We were barely in a position to play any sort of football at all.

But wait. Didn't the Oracle Ornstein say it was either Yoro or De Ligt?
I think he said Yoro was the priority but if we can't bag Branthwaite then De Ligt would be the guy. Something like this if I'm not mistaken.

Ten Hag not usually the type to talk about other clubs players publicly.
Reverse psychology from ETH. He wants De ligt but maybe he's behind Branthwaite in priority for the club so he's trying to put pressure in the club to get this done.

Massive presumption on my part, but if we had a poll of choosing between de ligt or Branthwaite I think it would be 80/20in De ligt's favour over Branthwaite (at the same transfer fee).

The Rosenborg game was atrocious, Ten Hag was pissed off afterwards. We were outworked and could not establish any control over the game.

Can‘t take too much away from that game though, but as Ten Hag said: we need to win every game. The players didn‘t show that and that is reprehensible.

Ten Hag tactics will work only with fully committed sharp players.
I found his comments post match to be strange to be honest. They are bang in the middle of their season so they’re fully sharp and we had a makeshift squad. He could have just said we’re not at the races yet but he went postal instead. Which to me sounded like a man who desperately wanted to distance himself from these poor performances and send a message to the new owners.

I have no doubt he also saw the same patterns from last season which is why he went on the attack, but then again he does this preseason and during the season talks about us creating the most chances instead.

Anyway, unless we get a couple of new CB’s I feel not much will change going into the new season, so let’s hope De Ligt or Branthwait will end up joining also.

But wait. Didn't the Oracle Ornstein say it was either Yoro or De Ligt?

No, as far as I'm aware he just said "the current expectation" was that it would be one or the other.

And he then subsequently said that United still like De Ligt and Branthwaite, but a further arrival would depend on departures.

Sounds like we are still keen.

A manager having to clear the air about him not pushing for good players he managed is such a bad thing to see.

We in general are a very toxic fan base having to question every manager since LVG instead of looking at the players being the problem.

A manager having to clear the air about him not pushing for good players he managed is such a bad thing to see.

We in general are a very toxic fan base having to question every manager since LVG instead of looking at the players being the problem.

It can be both. And has been for us.

We attack players significantly more than managers every year 60% of the team is labelled as deadwood, disgraceful or unprofessional even when things are going relatively well. Now the fanbase is toxic because there is always this need to see things binarily, most of the time the manager, players or circumstances are less than ideal and lead to less than ideal results.

As an example last year less than ideal signings were made, less than ideal managerial decisions were taken, maybe less than ideal attitudes from players occurred and we generally struggled. We accept that reality and move onto the next season.

Ten Hags reluctance to rotate, the first 11 will probably start 3 times every week.
I keep seeing people use this as a stick to beat the manager with, Ten Hag wasn't in a position to rotate due to the drop off in quality beyond the first choice eleven, especially when it came to the forwards. It seems that, this is what is being addressed, in this transfer window although I doubt all areas will be sorted in one window. Ten Hag, going forward will be more likely to rotate once the quality beyond the first eleven improves.

I keep seeing people use this as a stick to beat the manager with, Ten Hag wasn't in a position to rotate due to the drop off in quality beyond the first choice eleven, especially when it came to the forwards. It seems that, this is what is being addressed, in this transfer window although I doubt all areas will be sorted in one window. Ten Hag, going forward will be more likely to rotate once the quality beyond the first eleven improves.
And I agree that there is a drop off in quality, but the players he has brought in to address this during his tenure here haven’t exactly been an improvement on the players that he’s moved on so he’s sticking with the same 11 most weeks. We’ll hopefully see this addressed to a degree this summer but he absolutely has to start getting a tune out of the players he has signed.

Comments about player who is under contract with another club. Strange thing to do. Guardiola esque

After signing Yoro we arent going to be signing any other defender (or possibly anyone else) until we start selling I reckon.

I reckon we will pull the trigger on the De Ligt deal if we raise some more funds from somewhere.

Personally we are just waiting for more concrete offers for Maguire or Lindelof before we close this deal off.

No, as far as I'm aware he just said "the current expectation" was that it would be one or the other.

And he then subsequently said that United still like De Ligt and Branthwaite, but a further arrival would depend on departures.

First paragraph is correct, second is false. At no point in that article did he claim United still like them but further arrivals would depend on departures.
He clearly states his own opinion which was that:

In parallel, United have been pursuing moves for Matthijs De Ligt and Leny Yoro. Progress has been achieved on each front recently, though the current expectation is they would recruit one or the other as opposed to both.

I argued with posters instantly that this was clearly just Ornstein’s own thoughts on the situation as he didn’t see United spending big on 2 CB’s. To me it’s always been very obvious we want Yoro and De Ligt, or if you line “one young an learnin” + one more experienced.

After signing Yoro we arent going to be signing any other defender (or possibly anyone else) until we start selling I reckon.

I reckon we will pull the trigger on the De Ligt deal if we raise some more funds from somewhere.

Yeah need to sell Lindelof/Maguire maybe both

Status
Not open for further replies.