De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Graeme Bailey reliable now? Swear nobody even questions the source anymore.

Really, really hope this happens, and soon. Great teams are built from the back, and to go into the season gambling on Martinez’fitness would be a massive mistake.

This needs to get done, Ugarte needs to get done, and then we can focus on sales and see what is left.

Really, really hope this happens, and soon. Great teams are built from the back, and to go into the season gambling on Martinez’fitness would be a massive mistake.

This needs to get done, Ugarte needs to get done, and then we can focus on sales and see what is left.

Yeah completely agree

Following Yoro announcement..

Based on absolutely nothing, I’d say we have enough in the budget for a CDM regardless of sales and anything else we will probably have to see who goes out the door.

Ship out Lindelof & Maguire and you'd get not far off the De Ligt fee anyway.

Not sure how much money we can make from the rest of the squad.
Probably 30-40m for AWB and Mctominay combined. 20m for maguire, 20-30m if the Saudis come in for casemiro. 10-15m for pellestri, 10-15m for Lindelof

Obviously all guess work on my behalf.

I think we can sell enough players to cover one of De Ligt and Ugarte and maybe even enough to get close to both. Think we can bring in £60m no problem.

Maguire £20m
AWB £20m
Pellestri £10m
Lindelof £10m

I mean that is being quite conservative really.

A net spend in the £70m range would be fine considering the wages we are also losing

Based on absolutely nothing, I’d say we have enough in the budget for a CDM regardless of sales and anything else we will probably have to see who goes out the door.

Or even better a CB and a CDM on loan (to buy)

This could be one agreed to on the eve of the transfer deadline. The muppets may get the long drawn out saga they’ve been looking for and demanding.

This could be one agreed to on the eve of the transfer deadline. The muppets may get the long drawn out saga they’ve been looking for and demanding.

Yeah really depends how long it takes sell Lindelof/Maguire, wonder who are the backup LCB options mentioned in the other tweet from Whitwell

Last edited:
How the tables have turned. A few years ago De Ligt supposedly rejected us for Juventus and then again for Bayern.

Now he’s our backup option watching us sign Yoro and bidding for Branthwaite hoping we come back in and agree the deal

How did you manage this? I corrected the spelling a few minutes before you posted. Hmmm

Be honest, you saw the poster who quoted me earlier and you did a cheeky edit didn’t you? ;)
I hit the quote button but didn’t get to posting it until a few minutes later so you probably updated in that time between.

Of course there's such thing as guaranteed starter. We missed out on Haaland to Dortmund because Ole wouldn't guarantee him as starter.
Any respectable manager who is a strong leader does not make that promise. ETH dropped Ronaldo because at the time it was the correct thing to do.

I might say to someone “you’ll be given a lot of game time and if you are playing well you’ll get your starts”. Not “you are a guaranteed starter no matter how you play.”

Of course there's such thing as guaranteed starter. We missed out on Haaland to Dortmund because Ole wouldn't guarantee him as starter.

That’s not true at all.

We missed out because he, his Dad and Riaola had a master plan to get super mega rich with his next move, so demanded a cheap release clause so that they could take the rest of the cash themselves and go swimming in money like Scrooge McDuck.

Guaranteed starter deals don’t exist. A manager can absolutely promise a player that see them as a certain starter, but no contract could include such nonsense.

If i were Yolo and his agent, I'd demand a guaranteed starter if moving to United this season. Otherwise, why wouldn't he just get games at Lille and move for free next season?

If I can think that way, i bet he and his agent would've thought that too.

Because he and his agent aren’t dummies. All it takes is a knee injury in October to completely scupper, quite possibly his entire career chances at any top club.
It’s why Bosman’s are still rather rare when you consider how much richer the players would be if they all did it.

Not sure how much money we can make from the rest of the squad.

Isnt it also about clearing wages, not just the fee..

Sell Eriksen to Ajax for 5 million..

Get rid of Pellistri for 10 with a large sell on fee..

Take your losses and drop Lindelof and Maguire for million..

Reckon we need fo drop either Sancho or Antony

I can't understand why, if De Ligt is so good, he didn't play in the Euros. Mind you, nor did Branthwaite, I suppose!

I can't understand why, if De Ligt is so good, he didn't play in the Euros. Mind you, nor did Branthwaite, I suppose!

Nor did Van de Ven and he’s been excellent for Spurs. Zubimendi was on the bench for Spain and we’d all crawl over broken glass to sign him. Olmo would’ve been on the bench if Pedri hadn’t got injured.

Because De Vrij had a great season for Inter Milan and no team will chance their centre-backs during a tournament unless for injuires or suspension or terrible performances.

Nor did Van de Ven and he’s been excellent for Spurs. Zubimendi was on the bench for Spain and we’d all crawl over broken glass to sign him. Olmo would’ve been on the bench if Pedri hadn’t got injured.
Spot on.

Not playing for the NT does not mean a player is not good enough, plenty of excellent players not called up or called up but not benched, we won't sell Garnacho because he didn't start games in Copa, Licha was benched in WC2022, and many more, I could not care less why Zirkzee or De Ligt did not play much during the Euros.

If i were Yolo and his agent, I'd demand a guaranteed starter if moving to United this season. Otherwise, why wouldn't he just get games at Lille and move for free next season?

If I can think that way, i bet he and his agent would've thought that too.
There would be no guarantee that he would get games at Lille, there were stories that he would be benched if he refused to be sold, of course the likelihood is that without the Utd bid that Lille would probably have accepted the lowball bid from RM rather than losing him on a free...

In addition he is less likely to be starting for RM than he is for Utd regardless of clauses, and there is no way that an 18 year old, even an 18 year old Ronaldo gets a guaranteed starter clause

Status
Not open for further replies.