De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The man would be a significant upgrade on Maguire and Lindelof, both of whom need to be moved on. Apart from concerns about his knees, which only medics can give assurances are completely fine now, De Ligt would be a fantastic signing.

Bayern fans think he is their best defender, I do think that they know better than we do, having watched all the games. Over 60,000 have signed the petition now.

I would not be surprised if they pull the plug on this. Then you lot can go back to ‚we are hopeless at signing players‘ posts.
Bayern has a fanbase in the tens of millions… and 60k signed a well publicized petition?

Are the ones saying he’s their best defender the same ones setting his sale price by any chance?

All I know is that for the longest time Tuchel wouldn’t play him, and then supposedly there was a rumor he was “encouraged” to play him due to salary invested. It apparently was a whole big soap opera …

… that Bayern essentially blamed on Tuchel. Nothing wrong with De Ligt, everything is fine. But then they turn around and immediately try to sell him off.

I’m sure everything will be ok though. Everyone knows that if you’ve run into a rough career patch and need to go somewhere to re find your form, the spotlight of old Trafford is just the place.

Bayern has a fanbase in the tens of millions… and 60k signed a well publicized petition?

Are the ones saying he’s their best defender the same ones setting his sale price by any chance?

All I know is that for the longest time Tuchel wouldn’t play him, and then supposedly there was a rumor he was “encouraged” to play him due to salary invested. It apparently was a whole big soap opera …

… that Bayern essentially blamed on Tuchel. Nothing wrong with De Ligt, everything is fine. But then they turn around and immediately try to sell him off.

I’m sure everything will be ok though. Everyone knows that if you’ve run into a rough career patch and need to go somewhere to re find your form, the spotlight of old Trafford is just the place.

:lol:

He didn't play him at all so much that he played 5/6 CL Ko games starting 4 and the one game he was out injured. Maybe Bayern board forced him to play, after all we all know Tuchel is a yes man and just does what he is told.

The reluctancy for this tansfer here is bizarre to me..

Do people realize we just finished 8th in the PL and cannot offer Champions League/Europa League football to potential signings? Being able to get a player of his quality, his age, his price, his experience at the highest level.. Its a jackpot signing..

Sure, when he was 17 and captained Ajax to the semi finals of the Champions League people would have expected him to be THE best central defender in the world by a distance, and it didnt turn out like that (yet), but that doesnt mean that he is not a world class defender still.. So many games at Juve and Bayern, so highly valued by both clubs..

Bayern doesnt want him gone cause he is not good enough.. They want him gone cause they finished 3rd and want to do a squad rebuild and desperately need the financial room he would bring in..

As for The Netherlands.. Its said often before in this thread.. De Vrij is playing RCB, because where on paper we play with a back 4, in practice we play with 3 (Dumfries far up and Ake coming center). De Vrij is more comfortable as a semi rb than De Ligt, who is a real pure central defender.. Koeman wants someone there who can easily drift of tot he right.. It has nothing to do with Koeman not rating him, De Ligt is just back up for VVD.

Ake/vdVen - VVD/De Ligt - De Vrij/Geetruida - Dumfries/Frimpong.

De Ligt brings proven natural leadership skills, physicality, height, football skills, 3-5 goals per year.. He is not as quick as vd Ven for example, but he is far from slow.. He made is possible that Daley Blind could excel as an LCB for a high pressing team ffs..

At this stage, being able to sign a player of De Ligt his age/quality for the prices which go around.. Absolute no-brainer!

Love this bit of perspective. Thanks for the post.

Bayern fans think he is their best defender, I do think that they know better than we do, having watched all the games. Over 60,000 have signed the petition now.

I would not be surprised if they pull the plug on this. Then you lot can go back to ‚we are hopeless at signing players‘ posts.

You think the Bayern board gives two fecks about some petition like this?

This is something that would directly and completely interfere with their recruitment and squad building, of which the average football fan knows feck all about.

It cannot even be compared to the Bayern fans protesting about the Qatar Airways deal that resulted in the end of that sponsorship between the club and the company.

Imagine any serious club pulling the plug on a transfer, be that a new signing or a departure, because some people signed something on the internet, that cannot even be verified properly because you or I could also sign the petition, despite not being Bayern fans. I could get my mom to sign it and she never watched a minute of Bayern Munich in her life. That's how much that petition means.

It's just a totally ridiculous and unrealistic idea.

I really don't understand it! We have spend last few months on upgrades on the management and football side but come summer transfer window, the only players we seriously are linked with are 2 dutch players ETH knows. How is this a change from earlier years?
It isn't. We are letting him do what he did last summer. Ineos are shite.

This policy of not paying huge money for players over 25 doesn't exist, unless you have a good source to back up your claim.

Other than that, I agree that De Jong to United is very unlikely at this point, but that's only because he doesn't plan on leaving. If that ever changes, we'll be one of the frontrunners for him, if ten Hag is still at the club. Next summer seems to be the last chance, though, as he will be 28, and have 1 year left on his deal.

We can absolutely afford him as well, as he knows he would have to take a wage cut wherever he goes after Barcelona. There isn't going to be any club offering him 720k/week, it would probably be around half that, and there's only a small number of clubs who could pay that. United are one of them. If Barca offer him new terms, the numbers there will also not even be close to 500k, let alone 720k. So De Jong knows he'll never ever earn this money again.

So you're saying that if he wants to leave and he has to accept at least a 50% pay cut then we can afford him. Yeah, no shit. And if he wants to leave and he has to accept a 99.9% pay cut, then Charlton Athletic will be able to afford him too. It's a pointless statement. You have no idea what Barca will offer him or what any other team (like say PSG or City) might offer him, when his current deal starts to expire.

He will be only 28 when he enters the last 6 months of his deal and becomes available on Bosman. He is certain to want to make his last big transfer count. There's a handful of clubs that are better destination than Man Utd both from a financial and title-winning perspective. And if you're looking it from a purely financial perspective, there's also the Saudi League.

Why? Nobody on here is going to sign it.

I think a lot of the signatures on it are fans of other clubs trying to stop us signing him.
Bloody hell, i signed it thinking it benefitted us. Why would you post a hostile petition on the caf?!

He would be a great signing, young full of potential and a wonderful player, a massive upgrade on Lindelof and Maguire.

The reason Bayern are willing to let him go, is not because they think he is rubbish, but he is one of their best assets in defence and he's on a good wage, so they free up lots of money to pay for the likes of Olise, Simons and Tau, so there's a massive financial advantage in letting him go. Also if they sign Tau they have a surplass of CBs. The sale of De Ligt helps them more than Upamecano or Kim as he'll raise more money and he's reportedly paid more.

It's been reported he's taking a bit of a salary cut to go to United as well, I'm surprised you're not all over this like a rash! Especially since you had Johnny Evans (not knocking him he did great but he is 36) in defence more than 20 times last season.

Why do people just enter a thread to make one comment, without even reading anything that has been said. It's a forum for discussion, it's not Reddit or Quora.
In fairness I wasn't going to look through all 60 odd pages and really the larger point of the post was to discuss if we are going to be rinsed again as we have been with plenty of players down the year but sound thanks for that.

This is something that would directly and completely interfere with their recruitment and squad building, of which the average football fan knows feck all about.

It cannot even be compared to the Bayern fans protesting about the Qatar Airways deal that resulted in the end of that sponsorship between the club and the company.

Imagine any serious club pulling the plug on a transfer, be that a new signing or a departure, because some people signed something on the internet, that cannot even be verified properly because you or I could also sign the petition, despite not being Bayern fans. I could get my mom to sign it and she never watched a minute of Bayern Munich in her life. That's how much that petition means.

Yep. Nobody gives a feck about change.org let alone Bayern Munich execs.

Bloody hell, i signed it thinking it benefitted us. Why would you post a hostile petition on the caf?!

I didnt post it someone else did.

I dont think FC Bayern will take it seriously anyway as they will be well aware that a lot of the signatures will be from non-FC Bayern fans.

I can guarentee you fans of the cartel clubs (Newcastle, Vila, Everton, Forest, and City) who have been moaning about our ability to spend will have been signing it.

Last edited:
Can't argue with that kind of common sense

I meant we aren’t going to find a gem who can come in and do a job from the off at the same prices. We can get slightly younger players for cheaper and try and develop them or loan them for a season or two but as far as the here and now is concerned we are targeting the right profile of player. It’s pleasing to see.

I meant we aren’t going to find a gem who can come in and do a job from the off at the same prices. We can get slightly younger players for cheaper and try and develop them or loan them for a season or two but as far as the here and now is concerned we are targeting the right profile of player. It’s pleasing to see.
That is directed more towards you mentioning FM as one of the reasons for rating the players. It would have been taken more seriously if you hadn't mentioned that.

So you're saying that if he wants to leave and he has to accept at least a 50% pay cut then we can afford him. Yeah, no shit. And if he wants to leave and he has to accept a 99.9% pay cut, then Charlton Athletic will be able to afford him too. It's a pointless statement. You have no idea what Barca will offer him or what any other team (like say PSG or City) might offer him, when his current deal starts to expire.

He will be only 28 when he enters the last 6 months of his deal and becomes available on Bosman. He is certain to want to make his last big transfer count. There's a handful of clubs that are better destination than Man Utd both from a financial and title-winning perspective. And if you're looking it from a purely financial perspective, there's also the Saudi League.

I mean it's also pointless rambling on about the €720k/week wages then, isn't it? Barca know they made a huge financial mistake, that's why they tried so hard to sell the player to United 2 years go. The current situation isn't hard to grasp: They'll either lose him for free, or offer way lower terms to de Jong to extend his contract. De Jong can either accept the lower wages, or leave on a free to another club that also will not go anywhere near €720k per week, like I said, probably not even €500k.

You're also just making assumptions like me regarding what other clubs might offer him, except that it's much more realistic that even PSG or City won't give him more than 350/400k.

You also don't know where we'll be in 12 months time regarding trophy ambitions. Another pessimistic assumption, just like the first one where you completely count us out but then imply that City, PSG or Saudi could get him.

If mine is a pointless post, then so is yours.

:lol:

He didn't play him at all so much that he played 5/6 CL Ko games starting 4 and the one game he was out injured. Maybe Bayern board forced him to play, after all we all know Tuchel is a yes man and just does what he is told.
:lol: it's like people just recycle the same myths on here, when it's been cleared up many times over in this very thread

So let's look at the facts we know:

Fat genetics
Failed at Juve and Bayern
Injury prone
Dutch
Worked with ten Hag
Bayern looking to sell

I only see pros, lads, not one single con.

I always worry when Bayern are eager to offload a player, it’s like they can’t wait to get rid of this guy and make him our problem

Fat genetics
Injury prone
Dutch
Worked with ten Hag
Bayern looking to sell

He didnt fail at Juve and Bayern though, and the fat genetics thing is a bit meaningless even if true.

Fat genetics
Injury prone
Dutch
Worked with ten Hag
Bayern looking to sell

He also wants to be paid actual money to play professional football.

He didnt fail at Juve and Bayern though, and the fat genetics thing is a bit meaningless even if true.

The fat genetics bit isnt meaningless. His dad needs to hit the gym and get into that summer bod if De Ligt is to be successful and not become a chucky cheese mascot !

It happens all the time. Arnautovitch comes to mind.

The Qatar bit you mention undermines your own point; the fans got their way.

It happens all the time. Arnautovitch comes to mind.

The Qatar bit you mention undermines your own point; the fans got their way.

Three completely different scenarios. If you think the Bayern fans have even 1 percent chance of getting their way in this, you're delusional.

Doesn't happen all the time either...never happens more like

Three completely different scenarios. If you think the Bayern fans have even 1 percent chance of getting their way in this, you're delusional.

Doesn't happen all the time either...never happens more like
Fans have 50% of Bayern's ownership. So, it is not delusion.
Not saying it will happen though.

Why is it other clubs seem to wrap up a transfer within about 2 days of it being rumoured. Meanwhile we’re always involved in month long “sagas”.
You do realise other clubs don't wrap up transfers in two days, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.