De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree.

Whilst City have a quality squad filled mostly quality players, if you just isolate one player and compare them to another from the same position, but a different team, City's players tend to get overestimated IMO. If you consider the protection Dias gets in the middle of that City defense (surrounded by only quality players, everyone knows their role in that elite system, and they dominate possession every game so they have significantly less threat to deal with than other teams' defenders), he obviously looks better than Maguire or de Ligt, but in reality they're all a similar level IMO. Put him in the 2021/22 or 2023/24 United team and he will look like an average player in a struggling team, making mistakes every week. Also, Dias is an elite centre back, and there aren't loads of better ones out there, but especially after van Dijk sustained his long-term injury, and before Saliba emerged at Arsenal, people were making cases for the Portugese as the best in the Premier League or even the world, whilst he was never that level. He's simply not that profile, not as athletic, not as quick as a Saliba or van Dijk. Shorter limbs as well (which is important). The chance to get absolutely humiliated in a 1v1 is absolutely there with Dias, and it has happened several times every season as well, it just doesn't get noticed because City are ultra-successful.

And when you consider the market value and salary of a Rúben Dias level CCB in a top Premier League team, a 42m GBP transfer fee with 200k wages seems like a steal. The only concern with him admittedly is injuries, but I don't think that should shave 20-30 mil off the transfer fee. This has every chance of turning out to be a huge bargain, if it gets done for the reported fees.

You are contradicting yourself when you say things like (Whilst City have a quality squad filled mostly quality players) and (City's players tend to get overestimated IMO), or when you say (surrounded by only quality players), you have to make up your mind here, are City players quality or are they overestimated?

Also, Pep's system alone can't make a player a quality, we know that players like KdB, Gundogan, Rodri, Dias, Stones, Haaland are WC and top quality, but players like Kova or Grealish or Ake are not as good as the aforementioned ones, so while you are right that a dominant system like Pep's might make a player look good, the system itself won't be dominant if there wasn't set number of quality players in the spine of the team, Ederson, Dias, Walker, Stones, Rodri, KdB, Foden and Haaland form that spine sprinkled with good to decent players like an Ake or a Kova or Grealish.

You cannot disqualify Dias' ability because he is surrounded by great players, you can't say Vidic was not a top CB because he had Rio, Evra & VdS, and Carrick around him, I am not comparing Dias & Vidic, just that your logic (CB plays with awesome players around him so he is not necessarily that great) does not hold water.

Dias arrived and immediately showed why City paid him big bucks, he simply showed that he is an excellent defender, in terms of tackling, interceptions, reading danger, blocking shots and crosses, heading, bravery, etc..., there is also his leadership qualities, since his arrival and whenever he plays, you feel City is defensively solid when they are under the kosh which does not happen that often, even in 1v1 he is solid and can deal with tricky and quick forwards, he has shown in several seasons why he is considered one of the best CBs in the world, and especially when VdV was out of commission due to his knee injury, he was considered the best CB in EPL, you say the chance to get humiliated is absolutely there with Dias, but it is also there with any top CB, VdV was humiliated even in his heyday, no CB survives that, but that does not make Dias less or anything like that.

damn mate you made defend a city squad :lol:.

All jokes aside, I really rate De Ligt, he has the requirements to be a top-class CB with us, good age, great experience in Europe (CL, Italy, Germany), potential and other things too, the finances involved in getting him here is not crazy, so I am for this deal, EtH knows him well which is a plus, I think it will happen.

Good to see it's not only United fans with dreadful takes on here. Just because we're coming off of a woeful season, we still have many players that would improve Bayern and get significant play time for them.
Had he said "No United player would improve Bayern's starting XI." then he would have maybe had a case, but "I wouldn't have a single United player in Bayern's squad." is indeed a bit harsh. :lol:

I don't get the brits overevaluating british players, brantwaithe is meh. I said it before last season that there isn't a single player in United I'd want at Bayern (and yes that includes your precious Bruno). De Ligt at that price would be a steal for you lot.
I see you're taking the de Ligt news well. :lol:

Apparently, Bayern fans have petition with 50K signatures against De Ligt being transferred.
That will be mainly Liverpool and city fans guaranteed. When greenwood was coming back months ago there was Liverpool fans sending mass AI emails to United complaining about it. It was on r/reddevils

You are contradicting yourself when you say things like (Whilst City have a quality squad filled mostly quality players) and (City's players tend to get overestimated IMO), or when you say (surrounded by only quality players), you have to make up your mind here, are City players quality or are they overestimated?

Also, Pep's system alone can't make a player a quality, we know that players like KdB, Gundogan, Rodri, Dias, Stones, Haaland are WC and top quality, but players like Kova or Grealish or Ake are not as good as the aforementioned ones, so while you are right that a dominant system like Pep's might make a player look good, the system itself won't be dominant if there wasn't set number of quality players in the spine of the team, Ederson, Dias, Walker, Stones, Rodri, KdB, Foden and Haaland form that spine sprinkled with good to decent players like an Ake or a Kova or Grealish.

You cannot disqualify Dias' ability because he is surrounded by great players, you can't say Vidic was not a top CB because he had Rio, Evra & VdS, and Carrick around him, I am not comparing Dias & Vidic, just that your logic (CB plays with awesome players around him so he is not necessarily that great) does not hold water.

Dias arrived and immediately showed why City paid him big bucks, he simply showed that he is an excellent defender, in terms of tackling, interceptions, reading danger, blocking shots and crosses, heading, bravery, etc..., there is also his leadership qualities, since his arrival and whenever he plays, you feel City is defensively solid when they are under the kosh which does not happen that often, even in 1v1 he is solid and can deal with tricky and quick forwards, he has shown in several seasons why he is considered one of the best CBs in the world, and especially when VdV was out of commission due to his knee injury, he was considered the best CB in EPL, you say the chance to get humiliated is absolutely there with Dias, but it is also there with any top CB, VdV was humiliated even in his heyday, no CB survives that, but that does not make Dias less or anything like that.

damn mate you made defend a city squad :lol:.

All jokes aside, I really rate De Ligt, he has the requirements to be a top-class CB with us, good age, great experience in Europe (CL, Italy, Germany), potential and other things too, the finances involved in getting him here is not crazy, so I am for this deal, EtH knows him well which is a plus, I think it will happen.

They are quality players, but tend to get overestimated when compared to another similarly good players from another teams. I don't know what you don't understand. It's not contradictory to say that whilst you're a top 5-10-15 player in your own position, you can still get overrated when compared to another player from a different team. Two examples of this involving Dias: Not many people would've agreed with me that Saliba is a better CB than Dias 12 months ago, or even better, 24 months ago, yet it was the case already. Nowadays a lot more people would agree with me. Another example is Maguire, after the lost EL final in 2021, a lot of people were starting to accept how good of a defender he was, and then he had an amazing Euro tournament, but unfortunately it all fell apart in the following season.

I also didn't say Dias wasn't a top CB, I think I literally said he was several times in my post. I said that whilst he's great, he looks better than similarly good players, because he plays in a better team and faces less threat from the opponents.

Last edited:
Had he said "No United player would improve Bayern's starting XI." then he would have maybe had a case, but "I wouldn't have a single United player in Bayern's squad." is indeed a bit harsh. :lol:

The first statement has a case and I respect their opinion if someone believes that, although I think an in-form Martínez or Shaw, or 2022/23 Rashford all have good chances to start for Bayern, maybe Mainoo at a stretch (in a 4-3-3 setup as LCM, if Kimmich plays RB), but the second statement is obviously bullshit.

Seems a good deal at the valuations reported. Might find his feet again, hopefully

They are quality players, but tend to get overestimated when compared to another similarly good players from another teams. I don't know what you don't understand. It's not contradictory to say that whilst you're a top 5-10-15 player in your own position, you can still get overrated when compared to another player from a different team. Two examples of this involving Dias: Not many people would've agreed with me that Saliba is a better CB than Dias 12 months ago, or even better, 24 months ago, yet it was the case already. Nowadays a lot more people would agree with me. Another example is Maguire, after the lost EL final in 2021, a lot of people were starting to accept how good of a defender he was, and then he had an amazing Euro tournament, but unfortunately it all fell apart in the following season.

I also didn't say Dias wasn't a top CB, I think I literally said he was several times in my post. I said that whilst he's great, he looks better than similarly good players, because he plays in a better team and faces less threat from the opponents.

Systems alone don't make a player "great", Otamendi and others played in Pep's system, yet they did not look great, at least not to me, of course amazing set of players with an amazing coach implementing a dominant style will make the group as a whole alot better, that is obvious, but no matter the system, you would be able to tell who are the top players and who are the not so top players, you know Akanji & Ake are not as good as Dias or Stones, but they are still good players, and Dias & Stones miss games due to injuries, you know Kova is not as good as Rodri or KdB, no matter the system, a top player remain a top player, especially the best ones like VdV or Dias.

and to clarify, I am really not knocking De Ligt down here, I just think he has not done enough to warrant him to be considered as good as Dias, that's all I am saying

Personally i will try and go for Leny Yoro. 1 year left on his contract. Make a take or leave it 40 mill Euros plus add on. If not Yoro will go free to Real Madrid next season. End of month to reply to the bid. Then i will go to the next and other options.

Yoro is a lot younger the De Ligt. Lesser injury history. Like a more fresher car. Logically everyone want a new fresh car than car that has been driven for 4/5 years. It is not fresh and new as promising upcoming CB and player. And the end of career of players we all know. Out of date. New upcoming youngster is the opposite of retiremend players.

If the level and mentality is the same. Between 18-20 ---25 ------30 and above. Most smart and logically. Nothing personal. You go for the young fresh one. Expeieriences? The youngster will learn and experience with the ages and get use to it.

Football is a part of life and Universe. The circle of life. Start ----existence temporaliy - end. Sad but true. Nothing only football, but life true facts.

Everyone wants Yoro. The club have said they would go for Yoro irrespective of other signings as he’s a rare talent but as a project player but there’s nothing we can do if he doesn’t want to talk to any club other than Madrid. We can offer a release clause and more money but even that might not interest him. He’s probably thinking if I don’t make it at Madrid at least I tried when I got my chance and clubs a level down will still probably take a punt on me like Odegaard etc. If we got De Ligt and Yoro wanted to come here we’d sign both and probably let Kambwala go

Matthias (Matthijs) De Ligt bullshit bingo.

1. failed at Bayern and Juve
  2. old
  3. former Ajax player do not want
  4. average passer
  5. as slow as Maguire
  6. another eredivisie player do not want
  7. always injured
  8. Ten Hag knows him do not want
  9. doesn‘t start for his country
  10. benched by Dier
  11. he is fat
  12. too cheap something is fishy
  13. too expensive
  14. Maguire is better
  15. his dad is also fat
  16. has the turn circle of a lorry truck
What did I miss?
Yep. 17. If you question this deal in any way you're an idiot.

Everyone wants Yoro. The club have said they would go for Yoro irrespective of other signings as he’s a rare talent but as a project player but there’s nothing we can do if he doesn’t want to talk to any club other than Madrid. We can offer a release clause and more money but even that might not interest him. He’s probably thinking if I don’t make it at Madrid at least I tried when I got my chance and clubs a level down will still probably take a punt on me like Odegaard etc. If we got De Ligt and Yoro wanted to come here we’d sign both and probably let Kambwala go

I would love him and De Ligt but like you say there is nothing we can do when he only wants Real

For Bayern he is reasonably reliable, not so much for anything else.

He is head of football for Bild Sport and reports mainly on Bayern I think. He should be quite reliable when it comes to Bayern.

I'd be really dissapointed with this signing.

I can understand that we are currently not a top 4 team but there's just so much right footed CB's available at very good ages for us to go for De Ligt as our option.

Buying from Bayern is almost like buying aged players from Real Madrid.

I wonder if Ten Hag still has the transfers in his hands because our directors of football has literally just arrived.

Liverpool fans now claiming the report that De Ligt rejected them as he only wants to join Man Utd was made up by Man Utd fans

Liverpool fans now claiming the report that De Ligt rejected them as he only wants to join Man Utd was made up by Man Utd fans

If they wanted to go down that route, they could've at least cropped out the cfbayern link.

Ye because they’re a much bigger club than us with their 1 PL title in 30 years. And they have his former manager in charge.

The claim that no player would choose Man Utd over Liverpool these days is ridiculous when Sofyan Amrabat and Mason Mount both did that exact thing last summer

So West Ham signed Kilman for £40M while we are looking to sign De Ligt for a similar amount... Which signing does redcafe prefer?

So he only wants us and is willing to take a pay cut? This is more like it!

Any player who is willing to take a pay cut to come here and told Pool to feck off is welcome here. Even if their Dad is a bit chunky.

Status
Not open for further replies.