De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's amazing how time changes opinions.

Evans and Smalling had absolute dogs' abuse for loads of their spell here, yet years pass and people remember them as better as time moves on.

Remember the panic about how VAR would see us giving away penalties all the time because Smalling was combative and would hold players at corners? Happier times.

Loan with an option to but for a reasonable fee sounds sensible and would be on board with that.

Buying him outright with his injury record would be madness.

Yes because Bayern want to raise some money so a loan makes sense for them.

They want the money, they aren’t going to price themselves out of that. If they are planning on say 50 mill, we come in and they then ask for 80 mill and then we walk away they’ve then fecked themselves.

Agreed. and hopefully INEOS makes sure we are not bullied into paying high transfer fees.

If we sign this guy we've learned absolutely nothing. No more players with injury records.

At this rate he'll become one of the more attainable targets.

Last edited:
Classic United signing.

Big European club wants to shift some of their deadwood. Get United on the phone.

42m for de Ligt or 70m for Branthwaite? That makes me more comfortable to go for de Ligt.

I imagine de Ligt his wages would be double Branthwaite his wages though
You can probably get both De Jong and de Ligt for 80m given their salaries in today's market.

There’s literally no point in signing him if he’s going to be injured for even 10 league games. Having Evans or lindeloff in for those 10 games will cost us the top 4 mark my word.

He’d be good if we get Branthwaite aswell. Don’t think I’d take him as an alternative. Our options would be decent then. But what’s he been like for Juve/bayern? Not really seen him play much for Juve/bayern

Injuries have apparently ravaged us last season to the point that we couldn't play the way ETH wanted to... so what do we do? Go for an injury prone player. :lol:

As a loan with option it’d be a good deal but nothing else, unless it’s a cut price £20m or something

There’s literally no point in signing him if he’s going to be injured for even 10 league games. Having Evans or lindeloff in for those 10 games will cost us the top 4 mark my word.

This will be a like for like replacement for varane. A defender who is decent when available but misses games through injury. We need to have a settled back line an injury prone cb is not the answer. The club ignored Mounts injury hit last chelsea season, spent money on him and he spent the season in the treatment room.

The fact that he’s on the list because of ten Hag is a red flag for me. His fitness is also a big concern.

Folk are being too negative, he wouldn't be my preferred choice but he wouldn't be all doom and gloom either, has lots of experience at big clubs, would get to play under the manager that made one of the most promising prospects in Europe, and he's still on the right side of the age profile we're looking for.

It would be a risk but it could pay off massively.

It's a gamble I am not comfortable with :D.

Hopefully the extent of the internal discussion is "we're not going for him, the recruitment staff will identify targets from now on".

Otherwise we clearly haven't learned a thing.

Classic United signing.

Big European club wants to shift some of their deadwood. Get United on the phone.

In a way it makes sense, buying from giant teams.

But then you look at how we've been fleeced by Real Madrid and Bayern numerous times before...

He’s underwhelmed at Juve and Bayern so a move to the Premier League is unlikely to work out. He’s still living off what he did at Ajax and taking deadwood from Bayern is asking for trouble. I’m guessing he is on huge wages as well so 40m is a massively optimistic fee, we wouldn’t get half that if trying to sell him.

The 42m price tag suddenly makes him a good value buy, but I'd still have a few more alternatives before I'd consider de Ligt.

I’d much prefer to see us being in a more athletic and sharp centre half.

He has been our best defender in the last 2 seasons.
Selling him and keeping Upamecano and Kim would be soooo stupid.

Another player living off a reputation that he earned 5 years ago and hasn't done much since. Can we just go and buy players who have been performing consistently at the top level for the last 2-3 seasons?

Not when you consider the wages he'll likely want and signing on fee.

Sign-on fees aren’t usually that significant if it’s not a free transfer, unless I’m mistaken?

He’s also on around £250k/week at Bayern, that’s a tolerable amount for a player like him

I’d happily take Kim from you for a reasonable price.
Kim and Upa have all the tools to be great defenders.
Good tackling, tall, fast, strong, good passing in general.
But both have too many brain farts and mistakes, especially in big games.

De Ligt is a "no bullshit defender" and very reliable.
He is a bit injury prone but other than that he is clearly our best defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.