De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well put it this way…I’d rather Todibo and De Ligt for £70m, than Branthwaite for £70m.

De Ligt is undoubtedly a talented and experienced defender, and I would be happy if we signed him as a backup in place of Lindelof. However, United should take into account several key factors, including the financial implications of his substantial transfer fee and high wages, as well as his past injury history.

If I’ve learnt anything over the years, it’s not to sell a virus to Real, not to buy a virus from Bayern and never to reveal our transfer targets to Chelsea.

History has taught me that if we look at a player and there's at least one "but I'm concerned that..." then that concern will 100% happen as soon as they join us.

History has taught me that if we look at a player and there's at least one "but I'm concerned that..." then that concern will 100% happen as soon as they join us.
Yeah it’s funny how people who say that still get shot down like if someone had sat there after every signing and said “they’ll be shite” they wouldn’t have a 90% hit rate.

The few times I watched him at Ajax I thought Blind was carrying him but didn't really come to any conclusions on him. Then, when I was watching nearly every game of Juve's for Arthur, he was really, really bad.

Defensively, he's pretty lightweight and he's not even that good on the ball to compensate for it.

Already earning more than Bruno does, so unless he's willing to take a pay cut, this is a non-starter.

Could create the most dominant in the air centre back combo of all time with Maguire.

But still only score 1 goal a season from set pieces. And be outpaced by 97% of the league.

Why did we sell Chris Smalling

It's amazing how time changes opinions.

Evans and Smalling had absolute dogs' abuse for loads of their spell here, yet years pass and people remember them as better as time moves on.

Seems like we're going for an English, taller, leaner, faster and more physical defender. Doubt we'll add this fatty too.

Evans and Smalling had absolute dogs' abuse for loads of their spell here, yet years pass and people remember them as better as time moves on.
It’s because the CBs we’ve had since then have been largely awful or injury prone, and in some cases both.

Doesn’t help that Smalling, Jones, Evan’s et al came after the most dominant CB pairing we’ve ever had.

All we need to do is sign this guy and De Jong and we will be one step closer to recreating Ajax in the premier league. FFS.

He ticks all the boxes for ETH.

I'm not sure he does. We can't really field a high line with him, he's not quick enough. He's got a lot of good qualities, but he's injury prone and relatively slow given how ETH wants to set up. For the wages and likely price it's a non-starter.

If it helps, a team that plays Dier at CB is happy to let him go.
I don’t think that means as much as you think. Dier lives up to his namesake, but he also has no value. De Ligt still has value so that’s why they are considering it. I don’t think it’s reflective of his quality.

Pretty sure he is on a huge wage. Loan with option to buy should be the only deal we entertain.

He makes like 15m a year … no way anyone is going to bail Bayern out of this one (cue Saudi Arabia).

I refer you to exhibit Amrabat where he sits on the bench because he’s so bad , gets a game or 2 at the end of the season and suddenly he’s worth buying

Or maybe enquire before doing so. They obviously have the amount they want to raise if multiple clubs come in they aren’t going to ask more from us than them.

Obviously any club will enquire first, but us enquiring will make them think oh here is Manchester United, let's put 80m on De Ligt, the issue is even if we try to negotiate, they'll start from 80m, and I think De Ligt is worth only 30m, not to mention the player's camp will definitely demand high wages and high agent fees, I really think we should steer clear, plenty of options in the market.

As others said in the thread, perhaps a loan with an option that is decent is the only way to make it work for us, if De Ligt excels with us then we sign him, if not he goes back and we avoid paying top dollar for someone who's not worth it.

All I'm saying here is we should be smart and economical, I'd rather we play academy players instead of paying huge amounts for players that don't perform better than an academy players.

I don’t watch a whole lot of the BL but can someone that does explain how he went from a can’t miss prospect to where he is present day?

He’s a good player, but his name has exceeded his performances. There is a premium to be paid for him which isn’t currently worth it. If he was going for 40m or under and could be had on 175k a week, he would be a good signing. He’s much, much better than some people give him credit for and potentially has huge upside. But he’s proven somewhat injury prone and he will likely cost 60m and 250k+ a week. He is not that player to spend that on.

We are much better off taking that money and investing it in Yoro, if possible, plus one of Branthwaite or Todibo.

I’m not opposed to De Ligt the player. I think he could be very good for us, but I am opposed to his signing within the economic realities of what it would take to get him here.

I suspect this is just media speculation because of the lazy Ten Hag link. I very much doubt Ten Hag will have much sway over recruitment this summer.

The few times I watched him at Ajax I thought Blind was carrying him but didn't really come to any conclusions on him. Then, when I was watching nearly every game of Juve's for Arthur, he was really, really bad.

Defensively, he's pretty lightweight and he's not even that good on the ball to compensate for it.
He is very overrated in relation to the reputation he had developed when he joined Juventus but he is definitely a talented grafter and still quite young.

I'd take a chance at him if he wanted to reunite with ETH and wasn't quoted for silly money like Branthwaite (70m).

Thought at Ajax as a youngster he would be a superstar and the best defender in the world. Already played for clubs to merit that and on a salary to merit that......but though a good defender,hasnt got near those expetations.

There are lots of quality defenders we dan go for and though the fee may be cheaper,the cost of wages andfact there arenow better younger players....and thenot another TenHag past link, no thanks...never thought idSay that a few years ago

Didn't Dier end up being the preferred starter over him and upatoohard at Bayern last season?

I'd rather go for Branthwaite of the two of them. Branthwaite costs more upfront, but his wages will be less, while De Ligt will totally mess up our wage structure.

Branthwaite is also quicker, which will combine well with Martinez, and he's better on the ball as well in my view. Combined with his injury issues and performances at Juve and Bayern, De Ligt is one to avoid for me.

This guy isn't that good. Never hit the heights at Juventus or Bayern but still seems to be highly rated.

Always seems a bit cumbersome to me

Obviously any club will enquire first, but us enquiring will make them think oh here is Manchester United, let's put 80m on De Ligt, the issue is even if we try to negotiate, they'll start from 80m, and I think De Ligt is worth only 30m, not to mention the player's camp will definitely demand high wages and high agent fees, I really think we should steer clear, plenty of options in the market.

As others said in the thread, perhaps a loan with an option that is decent is the only way to make it work for us, if De Ligt excels with us then we sign him, if not he goes back and we avoid paying top dollar for someone who's not worth it.

All I'm saying here is we should be smart and economical, I'd rather we play academy players instead of paying huge amounts for players that don't perform better than an academy players.
Yes because Bayern want to raise some money so a loan makes sense for them.

They want the money, they aren’t going to price themselves out of that. If they are planning on say 50 mill, we come in and they then ask for 80 mill and then we walk away they’ve then fecked themselves.

De Ligt is class, if we can get him at a reasonable price (40-50m euros for example) than we are getting a top class CB.

No chance we get him over Yoro or Todibo. Or I hope INEOS think so, too.
Instead of going for big names with big wages we should go for the talents.

Status
Not open for further replies.