De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't imagine he's being bought as an immediate insert into the first tram. Ideally we need 4 centre backs who are good enough to rotate and be brought in and as one of that 4, De Ligt has a lot of qualities that will bring the talent floor up at the club. It isn't always about raising the ceiling with every single signing but we need depth and more quality throughout the squad.

He could be brought in for a really reasonable fee, it seems that our current targets - De Ligt, Ugarte and Zirkzee are all players who are of a good age profile, can be brought in for reasonable fees and somewhat minimal negotiation (release clause and Bayern/PSG seem willing to offload), so as an initial few signings, they make a ton of sense and inrdiately insert some extra depth and quality to the squad.

I'd still expect another couple of signings at least. I doubt we've just sacked off Todibo and we'll be able to switch our focus to selling before going back in and bringing in some more.

Think it's a really sensible profile of player. All could be sold on in 2 years for a decent amount back of what they cost, so I dont think they are financial risks but all could just as easily see their value increase on what we pay for them.

Those 3 players for around 120 million would be excellent value and represent a really good start.

At 24 he has some brilliant experience and is supposedly an excellent leader. We need more of them, we're pretty fragile and strong characters are valuable. He's not the best centre back in the world but would be a really solid addition and given we've not got CL football, we have to be realistic and understand we can't just go and prise the best few centre backs in the world from their respective clubs.

We need to be smart and find good value in deals for players who are good ages. Plenty of players are moved on from top clubs who go on to have really successful careers.

So let me get this straight, we clearly had some trouble keeping the backline fit most of last season where we were absolutely destroyed in the league. To remedy that we kept the mediocre manager and adding a player that clearly a more ambitious clubs like bayern do not want. What could go wrong? Ahhh.. yes more dutch assistants.

With this sentiment you are probably English born and bred, Southgate-in.

Of all the following established big names we've signed from top European clubs since SAF, how many have been value for money (both transfer fees and wages)?

Mount / Chelsea
Casemiro / RM
Sancho / Dortmund
Varane / RM
Ronaldo / Juve
Matic / Chelsea
Sanchez / Arsenal
Pogba / Juve
Schweinsteiger / Bayern
Di Maria / RM
Falcao / Monaco
Mata / Chelsea
(Zlatan and Cavani were free transfers from PSG)

Mata, and maybe Matic.

I don't think Bayern would be letting go of De Ligt if there weren't red flags. I don't like this signing.

This is my main concern presently. Teams like Bayern, Real and Dortmund don’t just let players leave unless there’s a very good reason.

This is my main concern presently. Teams like Bayern, Real and Dortmund don’t just let players leave unless there’s a very good reason.
I've heard he's prone to his shoulder falling off, and they need to get rid of him ASAP

Hard to get a true picture of De Ligt’s true potential on here.

I really rated him at Ajax and was gutted we didn’t move for him. But admit to not having seen him that much for Bayern this season.

So I’m reliant on others takes which so far seem to be.

One the one hand we have a lot of measured, considered takes from people who seem to know their stuff and have watched him play regularly and say he’s great and a leader (inc Bayern fans who don’t want him to leave).

And on the other we have a bunch of knee jerk he’s an overpaid crock/fraud (and suspicious that Bayern want to sell) from posters with names like Insanity, Overrated Opinion and Irrational.

Hmmm It’s a toughie for sure .

I really rated him at Ajax and was gutted we didn’t move for him. But admit to not having seen him that much for Bayern this season.

One the one hand we have a lot of measured, considered takes from people who seem to know their stuff and have watched him play regularly and say he’s great and a leader (inc Bayern fans who don’t want him to leave).

And on the other we have a bunch of knee jerk he’s an overpaid crock/fraud (and suspicious that Bayern want to sell) from posters with names like Insanity, Overrated Opinion and Irrational.

:lol:

I don't imagine he's being bought as an immediate insert into the first tram. Ideally we need 4 centre backs who are good enough to rotate and be brought in and as one of that 4, De Ligt has a lot of qualities that will bring the talent floor up at the club. It isn't always about raising the ceiling with every single signing but we need depth and more quality throughout the squad.

He could be brought in for a really reasonable fee, it seems that our current targets - De Ligt, Ugarte and Zirkzee are all players who are of a good age profile, can be brought in for reasonable fees and somewhat minimal negotiation (release clause and Bayern/PSG seem willing to offload), so as an initial few signings, they make a ton of sense and inrdiately insert some extra depth and quality to the squad.

I'd still expect another couple of signings at least. I doubt we've just sacked off Todibo and we'll be able to switch our focus to selling before going back in and bringing in some more.

Think it's a really sensible profile of player. All could be sold on in 2 years for a decent amount back of what they cost, so I dont think they are financial risks but all could just as easily see their value increase on what we pay for them.

Those 3 players for around 120 million would be excellent value and represent a really good start.

At 24 he has some brilliant experience and is supposedly an excellent leader. We need more of them, we're pretty fragile and strong characters are valuable. He's not the best centre back in the world but would be a really solid addition and given we've not got CL football, we have to be realistic and understand we can't just go and prise the best few centre backs in the world from their respective clubs.

We need to be smart and find good value in deals for players who are good ages. Plenty of players are moved on from top clubs who go on to have really successful careers.
If he comes here, he will immediately slot in next to Martinez at the back and will be first choice. No way Maguire or Evans plays ahead of him.

He will obviously be first choice after being first choice at Bayern

De Ligt is a very good defender and excellent passer. Decent technique for a big man. Interesting in that Martinez was De Ligt’s replacement at Ajax. On paper that would be mouth watering partnership as CB’s.

According to the Caf he must be because Martinez who got fell on is injury prone :lol:
Of course he is. A proper player would never get injured when this happens, he would just shrug the player off who fell on him and that's it.

Actually it proves that there is an even bigger issue: A total lack of authority and "aura" on the pitch. Nobody would have dared to fall on a real defender like United had in the olden days.

Yes this is wumming

If he comes here, he will immediately slot in next to Martinez at the back and will be first choice. No way Maguire or Evans plays ahead of him.

Maguire and Evans won't but I don't think we're done buying centre backs.

I did say this on the post - that the overall pool of defenders looks to be something we're wanting to improve the quality of.

So instead of Martinez, Varane, Lindelof, Maguire and Evans

We have Martinez, De Ligt, Todibo, Maguire, Evans.

With nobody starting as a nailed on starter next to Martinez.

We need to build out a squad, not simply put our starting 11 on paper and 1:1 pick players to replace - I understand fans love doing this but it's a piss poor way of improving your team.

Build a good squad and you will develop your flavoured 11 from that squad over time and it can then change depending on what you want glto do game to game.

Well then he won't come.

Had a good chat with him have you? He's not exactly first choice at Bayern either, is he?

If we buy another centre back then it stands to reason that someone is going to sign and understand that a first team place needs to be earned. I'd think we want almost all of our signings to have that mindset. Not doing this has kind of been part of our problem over the last 10 years....

If we sign him and then don't buy any other defenders then fair enough, I imagine he will immediately slot in there but I don't see the links to the likes of Todobo or Branthwaite just dying off now, which would indicate we are squad building and not playing football manager with our starting 11.

Had a good chat with him have you? He's not exactly first choice at Bayern either, is he?

If we buy another centre back then it stands to reason that someone is going to sign and understand that a first team place needs to be earned. I'd think we want almost all of our signings to have that mindset. Not doing this has kind of been part of our problem over the last 10 years....

If we sign him and then don't buy any other defenders then fair enough, I imagine he will immediately slot in there but I don't see the links to the likes of Todobo or Branthwaite just dying off now, which would indicate we are squad building and not playing football manager with our starting 11.

Don't act the idiot.

He plays for Bayern regularly, why would he come to a non CL club to sit on the bench?

I've also read in this thread he will be taking a pay cut.

If both things are true that lad needs a better agent.

I'm happy to be proven wrong but this seems like our recruitment team making the same mistakes again, big name player out of favour at his current club, potentially signing for big wages, and with a dubious injury record.

Dortmund is a selling club, they let go of amazing players like Gundogan, Auba, Dembele, Haaland, Bellingham, and others for big money, so they sell top players when they receive big money offers for them.

Bayern & Real usually don't sell top players unless the player is adamant on leaving, Di Maria wanted to leave, of course he wasn't happy with us but he did well with PSG, Bayern did not want to sell Kroos, but he forced his exit by not extending his contract, Sanchez wanted to leave Barcelona and Ozil wasn't happy being on the bench with Madrid.

The other reason they let go is if they think the player is past his best, or is close to be past his best, in the case of Varane & Case joining us, based on reports, Real would've liked to keep them a bit longer but wouldn't say no to a good offer, we offered them a good fee and Real had replacements lined up for them anyways.

On De Ligt, it could be that Bayern want to balance the books with a sale, they got Ito as per what other posters said and perhaps De Ligt is a top earner so they might want to get rid of his wages.

He's not exactly first choice at Bayern either, is he?
He is. He wasn't at the beginning of the season when they tried to make Kim/Upamecano work, but after a few games he was first choice again. A few matches where he was rotated during the rest of the season don't change that.

Real were willing to let Robben go to Bayern for a low price too. Worked out relatively well.

He's a really good, well-rounded and experienced defender with no significant weaknesses and only 24 years old. The manager knows him well and I think he'd form a very good partnership with Martinez. If the price is reasonable, this looks like a good deal to me.
He’s a better Maguire, which I don’t have a problem with given his age and price, still want someone with a really athletic, assertive profile with excellent recovery pace to play alongside or in place of Licha.

I'm happy to be proven wrong but this seems like our recruitment team making the same mistakes again, big name player out of favour at his current club, potentially signing for big wages, and with a dubious injury record.

He's not out of favour. They have back up and he's on big money.

For A LOT money. They'd demand 100m for a player like de Ligt.

They sold Haaland for what 50? Cause they were so desperate to sign him they agreed some daft as feck clause that would ensure the player, his agent and his Dad make the majority of the money on him.

The sold Hummels to their closest rivels for feck all for a start, they lost Lewa for nothing to Munich, let’s maybe even talk about Götze?
They sold Mikhi relatively cheaply despite playing Billy big bollocks.

Let’s not pretend Dortmund are anything other than a stepping stone and sell players all the time that they’d rather keep, sometime for good money, sometimes for average money.

Of course he is. A proper player would never get injured when this happens, he would just shrug the player off who fell on him and that's it.

Actually it proves that there is an even bigger issue: A total lack of authority and "aura" on the pitch. Nobody would have dared to fall on a real defender like United had in the olden days.

Yes this is wumming
Also true for when the doctors operating on him left a piece of bone fragment in his foot, should just man up and get on with it.

They sold Haaland for what 50? Cause they were so desperate to sign him they agreed some daft as feck clause that would ensure the player, his agent and his Dad make the majority of the money on him.

The sold Hummels to their closest rivels for feck all for a start, they lost Lewa for nothing to Munich, let’s maybe even talk about Götze?
They sold Mikhi relatively cheaply despite playing Billy big bollocks.

Let’s not pretend Dortmund are anything other than a stepping stone and sell players all the time that they’d rather keep, sometime for good money, sometimes for average money.
Aren't you just confirming my point? They usually try to get a lot of money, but due to their status it doesn't work all the time.

Caught in two minds here.

To begin with I thought this would be a horrible transfer - reeking of the Woodward era. A big club willing to part ways with a big name, who is on big wages and who has already peaked and is on a downward trajectory.

If (IF) it can be done for circa £40m and reasonable wages (£200k tops a week) - then this transfer does make some sense, especially in the context of Branthwaite being too expensive.

- About to turn 25 - so for a CB peak years ahead of him.
- A solid solid defender to replace Varane perfectly in that regard.
- Good enough, if not great on the ball
- Great in the air - something our team is a bit short on currently

- The biggest of all, which has long been a criticism of the current team, is his personality. The perceived lack of leaders has long been talked about as an issue - this guy is potential captain material with the absolute right mentality for a club like United, and who you'd want in the dressing room.

Not perfect, but makes sense as long as the fee/wages are reasonable.

:lol:

So question for people who are upset that we are pursuing this deal, do you prefer spending 70m on Branthwaite who is 22 year old and has only played for Everton, or 40m on De Ligt who is 24 and has experience of playing for Juventus, Bayern and Ajax.

In terms of talent, being pursued by Juve and Bayern at such young age, shows who is more highly rated.

Rubbish, we’re in the market for a starting CB.

Aren't you just confirming my point? They usually try to get a lot of money, but due to their status it doesn't work all the time.

Eh? I responded to a post that bizarrely claimed Dortmund don’t just let players leave unless there’s a very good reason; which is clearly bollocks.

As I said, they let their best players leave every single Summer, sometimes for a good reason (lots of money) and sometimes because they simply have to work something out that works best for both them and the player, despite it being against their wishes.

So question for people who are upset that we are pursuing this deal, do you prefer spending 70m on Branthwaite who is 22 year old and has only played for Everton, or 40m on De Ligt who is 24 and has experience of playing for Juventus, Bayern and Ajax.

In terms of talent, being pursued by Juve and Bayern at such young age, shows who is more highly rated.

Not to mention that we'll make a huge chunk of his transfer fee back from catering sales every time his dad comes to watch him play.

Status
Not open for further replies.