De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't SAF unsure of bringing in Hargreaves and it was actually the club that was pushing for the deal?

Aren’t they possibly selling Davies to Madrid? I wonder if Madrid are also getting ripped off there.
No Madrid have convinced him to wind his contract down so they'll likely simply sign him for nothing next summer like they did with Mbappe, Rudiger and Alaba over the last 3 summers

Must be nice...

Owen Hargreaves or Schweinsteiger does that ring a bell?

Lets address your statement.
Bayern selling a player at their best age.
Bastian was 30
Hargreaves won a champions league for us in his first season, playing all 120minutes and scoring a penalty.
If De Ligt cost 40m and has that impact, bring him in

If you want to blame anybody for the Hargreaves signing, blame Fergie. He clearly wanted him for a long time, knew about his injury history and proceeded to buy him

That attack looks really weak. We would struggle to score goals this season again
And Shaw will probably be injured at least half of the season, possobly Martinez as well, so - no defense.

We need way more than this

They want 50m. So far, Sir Jim has offered a packet of crisps and a free tour of the factory in Grangemouth.

I am in for the no-shits-given Sir Jim trolling other teams. So far he was able to get the upper arm on Newcastle, forcing them into cut-price release of Ashworth, so we should give him and his team
a benefit of time

Simply because it's Bayern selling, I don't want.
I really dont get this sentiment on here.

We really wanted to keep Hargreaves then and it was tragic how injury prone he got after joining you.

When Schweinsteiger joined you he was clearly past his best and had physically declined.
But he wasnt very expensive, was he?

You act like we fluked you several times.

De Ligt is a whole different story and the vast majority doesnt get what our board is doing.

I don't think it's difficult to implement a higher defensive line as long as you have the correct profile of players in the deeper positions who look to defend proactively on the front foot. Man Utd haven't been able to do that, but ten Hag has shown that he can get it working at Ajax in the Champions league. I think we will see a more proactive Man Utd in the new season because you can't carry on playing with passive players at the back and expect to implement a higher press. Being more assertive in your actions from the back will close off the space and create the conditions to play in the opponent's half.

I think your correct in saying that you want to see it to believe it, but I think that will happen because I don't believe it's difficult with the correct profile of players and de Ligt would be a step in the right direction in that regard.

I'm sure we will improve from last season and I expect us to play more proactive football if Martinez is fit and we get targets like de Ligt/Branthwaite and Ugarte but that would be by virtue of the increased quality on the pitch. How much of a jump from the football we saw in the first season will be the question and ETH's big task. I'm worried the tactics will be 'play on the front foot, play a higher line' and it will show on the pitch but we will ultimately still be playing quite individually with no real chemistry, pattern of plays, poor set pieces (over committing, everyone going for the first ball etc) and relying on the brilliance of the players.

There's a big jump from what we've seen the past two seasons to the more intricate passing football and high pressing teams of Ajax. If he manages to get halfway there and the whole team looks greater than the sum of its parts, he would have done well or even very well and we should be a very strong top four team. If he just manages otherwise, then it will be the same status quo of needing better players and doing more physical graft than needed to beat the opposition i.e not sustainable and not really controlling games through a strong plan A.

Owen Hargreaves or Schweinsteiger does that ring a bell?

So.. one example then? Hargreaves was in his mid twenties and Schweinsteiger was over 30. Since when do we write off buying a mid twenties player from a club because of one transfer that didn't work out?

I'm sure we will improve from last season and I expect us to play more proactive football if Martinez is fit and we get targets like de Ligt/Branthwaite and Ugarte but that would be by virtue of the increased quality on the pitch. How much of a jump from the football we saw in the first season will be the question and ETH's big task. I'm worried the tactics will be 'play on the front foot, play a higher line' and it will show on the pitch but we will ultimately still be playing quite individually with no real chemistry, pattern of plays, poor set pieces (over committing, everyone going for the first ball etc) and relying on the brilliance of the players.

There's a big jump from what we've seen the past two seasons to the more intricate passing football and high pressing teams of Ajax. If he manages to get halfway there and the whole team looks greater than the sum of its parts, he would have done well or even very well and we should be a very strong top four team. If he just manages otherwise, then it will be the same status quo of needing better players and doing more physical graft than needed to beat the opposition i.e not sustainable and not really controlling games through a strong plan A.
Next season we have to see everything come together and hence the recruitment has to be on point. There's no excuses next season and we have to get the right players in for something to develop. And one thing I'm confident of is that ten Hag will go all out to achieve his aim of playing out from the back at a high level which is where the cohesive elements start to take shape

I think injuries do effect teams and Liverpool have dropped out of the champions league spots on a few occasions under Jurgen Klopp due to injuries to key personnel.

So if I'm following this correctly we are going from a very good yet injury prone centre back to a good yet injury prone defender?

Exciting stuff.

De Ligt isn't slow at all. Stop making me promote him.

I told you Malacia and Antony would be cack, I'm always right.

Ok I also said Martinez would be too small.

So you've been right 1 out of 3?

Malacia was fine and Martinez is brilliant.

I worry about De Ligt's recent injuries - I still suffer from Owen Hargreaves flashbacks. If he's so great, why are Bayern Munich letting him go?
This.

This is exactly what Madrid do to us over and over again.

If the player was still worth his salt in their eyes, they wouldn't even consider selling them. They only ever want rid of a player for a good reason, and they know that United will take the bait and buy them.

Then we end up stuck with players that are either constantly injured, or their form tanks after one season. So the selling club gets a nice fee, and we end up with a borderline useless player on a long term, expensive contract, who usually ends up leaving on a free while we pray some daft club in Saudi Arabia will give us a huge fee for them.

We never fecking learn.

Next season we have to see everything come together and hence the recruitment has to be on point. There's no excuses next season and we have to get the right players in for something to develop. And one thing I'm confident of is that ten Hag will go all out to achieve his aim of playing out from the back at a high level which is where the cohesive elements start to take shape

I think injuries do effect teams and Liverpool have dropped out of the champions league spots on a few occasions under Jurgen Klopp due to injuries to key personnel.

I think a lot of fans would agree he has very limited or almost no line of credit anymore so yes next season will be key (as always). As for the bolded, I don't doubt ETH's commitment to the cause or whatever he's planning on how he wants us to play, it's just whether he can do it at a good level. His insistence on the 4-1-5 bs we were playing last season is proof enough he is stubborn to go 'all out' to a single philosophy. The key is the execution.

I am optimistic of a 'good' season because we have the individual quality and ETH has shown he can make us competitive on a game-to-game basis. I'm just hesitant and keeping lower expectations for expansive, high line, high press controlled and progressive football we imagine we should be at.

I can’t speak really as I didn’t watch any Bayern games this season but a Quick Look at the Bayern subreddit shows they are not happy at the new of possibly selling him so that’s a bit of a good sign.

Of all the following established big names we've signed from top European clubs since SAF, how many have been value for money (both transfer fees and wages)?

Mount / Chelsea
Casemiro / RM
Sancho / Dortmund
Varane / RM
Ronaldo / Juve
Matic / Chelsea
Sanchez / Arsenal
Pogba / Juve
Schweinsteiger / Bayern
Di Maria / RM
Falcao / Monaco
Mata / Chelsea
(Zlatan and Cavani were free transfers from PSG)

Mata, and maybe Matic.

I don't think Bayern would be letting go of De Ligt if there weren't red flags. I don't like this signing.

Injury prone on RedCafe means any player that has had a recent injury and been out for more than 10 games. Injury prone used to mean Darren Anderton or Owen Hargreaves or Louis Saha or Ledley King but now couple of injuries, some time out and boom, RedCafe calls you injury prone. Is Haaland injury prone? He had some tough injuries that made him stay out for a while. Or is it only players you don't like that suddenly are injury prone.

Given our problems in the recent past and how in depth, meticulous planning is apparently going on with the new structure, I would imagine they check this transfer very well before going ahead, in terms of wages, fee and his injury concerns.

If this guy is being sanctioned by the new supposedly better footballing controlling units of Eneos, new CEO and new Technical director.. we are done for the next decade too.

Quality control
So let me get this straight, we clearly had some trouble keeping the backline fit most of last season where we were absolutely destroyed in the league. To remedy that we kept the mediocre manager and adding a player that clearly a more ambitious clubs like bayern do not want. What could go wrong? Ahhh.. yes more dutch assistants.

If this guy is being sanctioned by the new supposedly better footballing controlling units of Eneos, new CEO and new Technical director.. we are done for the next decade too.

You should put yourself forward for a job within the Ineos ranks, sounds like you have a better understanding than they do.

Injury prone on RedCafe means any player that has had a recent injury and been out for more than 10 games. Injury prone used to mean Darren Anderton or Owen Hargreaves or Louis Saha or Ledley King but now couple of injuries, some time out and boom, RedCafe calls you injury prone. Is Haaland injury prone? He had some tough injuries that made him stay out for a while. Or is it only players you don't like that suddenly are injury prone.

Agreed, the label injury prone and the use on this board in the last few years is incredible.

Nearly every player will have an injury at some point in their career where they miss multiple games in a season.

So you've been right 1 out of 3?

Malacia was fine and Martinez is brilliant.
I love Malacia way more than you, but he's not good enough for United. I'll take 1 out of 3 though. Afraid I can't consistently make those impressive numbers though :lol:

After Zirkzee it would also be ke
Of all the following established big names we've signed from top European clubs since SAF, how many have been value for money (both transfer fees and wages)?

Mount / Chelsea
Casemiro / RM
Sancho / Dortmund
Varane / RM
Ronaldo / Juve
Matic / Chelsea
Sanchez / Arsenal
Pogba / Juve
Schweinsteiger / Bayern
Di Maria / RM
Falcao / Monaco
Mata / Chelsea
(Zlatan and Cavani were free transfers from PSG)

Mata, and maybe Matic.

I don't think Bayern would be letting go of De Ligt if there weren't red flags. I don't like this signing.
That is shocking and shows where we should focus on rather

So let me get this straight, we clearly had some trouble keeping the backline fit most of last season where we were absolutely destroyed in the league. To remedy that we kept the mediocre manager and adding a player that clearly a more ambitious clubs like bayern do not want. What could go wrong? Ahhh.. yes more dutch assistants.
Why are you still here?

Keep up with that good positive attitude, lad.

He's a really good, well-rounded and experienced defender with no significant weaknesses and only 24 years old. The manager knows him well and I think he'd form a very good partnership with Martinez. If the price is reasonable, this looks like a good deal to me.

People still banging on about a transfer that happened 17 years ago (Hargreaves) are fecking hilarious.

Also "we shouldn't buy player from xyz club" nonsense.

Will end up not signing players from any decent club in top 5 leagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.