De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of his Europa League runners up medal?

Semi final CL, just missed the final with Bayern and with Ajax.

If European winners medals determine how good a defender is he is pretty good without actually winning medals.

His European results in the CL and Europa league are better than all other defenders who we are linked with. They are also better than Saliba his European results for example.

Judging how good or bad someone is based on what he won doesnt seem the best way to judge a player.

Looks like the budget for a CB is 45 million. So any fan that is against this move needs to come up with an alternative that would also cost 40-45 million.

This could turn out to be a very good signing if it happens.

He seems a good defender, for that price especially, but I really thought we'd be moving away from dealing with Bayern and Madrid for players, under the new regime. There's always a reason why these clubs let go of these supposed assets. Especially to a club like United.
To be honest I think this assessment is spot on:

He did not really shine at Juventus, and they were happy to sell him to Bayern. We then expected him to be the leader of our defense, and gave him a top contract but he never lived up to the expectations. He never managed to stabilize our defense and become the leader that we were looking for, and in terms of goals received we did not get any better since we signed him (I think we even got worse but too lazy to look it up now). On top of that he's quite slow for a defender. Truth being told, even Eric Dier has a better standing internally now.

There's a part of Bayern fans who would be sad to see him go, but it's mainly for sentimental reasons. He seems to be a really good guy, was a Bayern Fan in the past and really loves to play for the club.

But in terms of price/performance he's been terrible which is why the club would be very happy to let him (and his huge wages) go... They are quite confident that they can get similar quality for a much lower price tag salary-wise.

He definitely improves our quality . If we can add a young left footer , a calafiori type who can also play lb , but without the raised profile that will make it difficult to not offer some assurances over starts , id be happy enough . Martinez is covered by shaw & new recruit , shaw is covered by new recruit and amass , de ligt is covered by young
willy and whoever we can't sell .

Semi final CL, just missed the final with Bayern and with Ajax.

If European winners medals determine how good a defender is he is pretty good without actually winning medals.

His European results in the CL and Europa league are better than all other defenders who we are linked with. They are also better than Saliba his European results for example.

Judging how good or bad someone is based on what he won doesnt seem the best way to judge a player.

Judging by whether they play for a team that is always guaranteed CL qualification and deep tournament runs isn't either.

If De Ligt is elite CL pedigree, so are Sancho and Mount.

I don’t get what the big who harr about £42m.

He’ll be signing on reduced wages(hopefully) we accepted a bid of £30m for Maguire last summer and will probably be demanding the same again.

He won’t be signing on reduced wages, why would he agree to that when he already has a better deal with Bayern that runs for 3 more years? We will have to compensate him one way or another (wages or higher signing on fee).

City just sold a defender from Championship for 20 mil pounds. 40 mil for De Ligt is a minimum fee for a player of that quality and reputation.

De Ligt sounds like a great signing - as long as due diligence is carried out by our medical team.

His last few injuries all seem to be regarding 'inner knee ligament' issues.

Do these injuries all involve the same knee, or both? Can this type of injury cause long-term recurring problems that would mean extended periods in the treatment room for the rest of his career, or do they heal without long-term problems? Can an operation resolve the issue easily without further problems?

I would feel a whole lot better about the transfer with some clarity in the above regard, especially following the Hargreaves and Schweinsteiger transfers from Bayern Munich.

Any sports or medical experts on here that can throw some light on this kind of injury? - I worry the Bayern doctors may feel this will be a recurring issue - hence his availability.

Last edited:
His injury record seems a bit overstated, but is still a slight concern. Wages very high and why does Bayern want to sell, as it seems a lot of their fans think he's their best CB? Some red flags here for sure and I just don't trust big clubs like Bayern selling off what appear to be good players.

His injury record seems a bit overstated, but is still a slight concern. Wages very high and why does Bayern want to sell, as it seems a lot of their fans think he's their best CB? Some red flags here for sure and I just don't trust big clubs like Bayern selling off what appear to be good players.

High wages, they want Tah and keep Davis so De Ligt is probably the only one that they can get a decent junk of cash for/get rid a good amount of wages off the books. Their general wage structure is quite high, think only Barca, Madrid, City, PSG pay players collectively more. Their fans are quite upset as the prospect of him going though.

To be honest I think this assessment is spot on:

He did not really shine at Juventus, and they were happy to sell him to Bayern. We then expected him to be the leader of our defense, and gave him a top contract but he never lived up to the expectations. He never managed to stabilize our defense and become the leader that we were looking for, and in terms of goals received we did not get any better since we signed him (I think we even got worse but too lazy to look it up now). On top of that he's quite slow for a defender. Truth being told, even Eric Dier has a better standing internally now.

There's a part of Bayern fans who would be sad to see him go, but it's mainly for sentimental reasons. He seems to be a really good guy, was a Bayern Fan in the past and really loves to play for the club.

But in terms of price/performance he's been terrible which is why the club would be very happy to let him (and his huge wages) go... They are quite confident that they can get similar quality for a much lower price tag salary-wise.

Not attacking you mate, but you are the only Bayern fan I’ve seen who has this opinion and who really does not want him sold.

Not attacking you mate, but you are the only Bayern fan I’ve seen who has this opinion and who really does not want him sold.
Check the German Transfermarkt forum (via Google translate). I'd say it's 50/50 over there. And then there are of course the type of Bayern fans that didn't want Kovac go... Or did not want to sign Manuel Neuer back then. It's true that he is a fan favorite but it's not really justified by his performances on the pitch.

If you check Transfermarkt, you'll see that one half of the fans does not understand why he seems to have such a high status with the other half of fans, which as I said, is highly sentimental.

He had a few iconic moments, some beautiful goals, he's a fighter, identifies with the club, was a Bayern Fan as a kid etc.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, don't get me wrong. If he were willing to play for half his salary, I'd be happy for him to stay. But for the current price, the upside compared to players costing half his salary is simply not enough, e.g. when comparing to Eric Dier who's much cheaper salary wise.

Thats a very, very exclusive view.

I think with Dier as his partner de Ligt also started to look like a leader.
I wouldnt blame it on him that the connection with Upamecano and Kim wasnt that great.

De Ligt is still only 24. How good were Chiellini, Ramos and van Dijk at that age?

I still dont understand why we want to sell him and keep those 2 walking blunders waiting to happen Upa and Kim.

2 walking blunders waiting to happen Upa and Kim.
Seem to remember a lot of fawning over him when he was linked to us a while back.

You make him sound like his North Korean namesake (who I'd pay money to see play CB).

It is absolutely fair to be skeptical given our past dealings with other big clubs in Europe. Let’s hope this finally breaks the trend. Right age and profile, and hopefully can show his world class level again with ten Hag.

Bayern in particular basically have a horrid record with players they sell. Kroos is the last one I remember that was top class after leaving, and he was one they never wanted to leave in the first place.

Check the German Transfermarkt forum (via Google translate). I'd say it's 50/50 over there. And then there are of course the type of Bayern fans that didn't want Kovac go... Or did not want to sign Manuel Neuer back then. It's true that he is a fan favorite but it's not really justified by his performances on the pitch.

If you check Transfermarkt, you'll see that one half of the fans does not understand why he seems to have such a high status with the other half of fans, which as I said, is highly sentimental.

He had a few iconic moments, some beautiful goals, he's a fighter, identifies with the club, was a Bayern Fan as a kid etc.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, don't get me wrong. If he were willing to play for half his salary, I'd be happy for him to stay. But for the current price, the upside compared to players costing half his salary is simply not enough, e.g. when comparing to Eric Dier who's much cheaper salary wise.

Finally, a Bayern fan with an honest review.

Two goos posts, buddy.

Would be perfect with Martinez. His CB partner in Ajax' CL run was the very slow Daley Blind and it still worked. Martinez is quite similar to Blind on the ball and way better defensively. So this pairing would be really really good

Would be perfect with Martinez. His CB partner in Ajax' CL run was the very slow Daley Blind and it still worked. Martinez is quite similar to Blind on the ball and way better defensively. So this pairing would be really really good
So you rate De ligt then? Or are you basing your view mainly on his Ajax performances?

What makes this more honest than all the other Bayern fans who have given their opinion in this thread?
As the poster above your post said, they feel it's honest because the fan said what that poster wanted to hear. :lol:

"Honest" because it aligns with your opinion of the player? That's an interesting take on the word.

:)

Not going to lie, but actually yes. He has got it spot on regarding why they are trying to move this "generational talent", imo. I would be pretty disappointed if we make this singing. I am not sold on Todibo because of his aerial weakness but I rather have him for the RCB spot as a cheapish punt than this guy. This has red flags written all over it. I think he'll fail badly and we'd be struck with another player on a long contract on high wages.

Of course I could be wrong, but I don't think I am going to be.

On fans, read what Chelsea fans were saying on Mount. A few years back during the VG days someone argued with me that Blackett was a more talented academy product than Ravel Morrison. There was a thread on here arguing that someone wouldn't replace Martial with Messi.

So you rate De ligt then? Or are you basing your view mainly on his Ajax performances?
Massively. He's just the type of player that is easily loved if he plays for your team. Born leader, doesn't shy away from getting physical and good on the ball. And totally not slow, he might look slow due to his build, but he's quite quick, just not as fast as the fastest defenders.

If a massive Ajax hater like @KirkDuyt rates him, then it must be a good player

Quality control
An injury prone defender who previously played for ETH, to join Martinez, our other often-injured defender.

That's fine, if we finish 10th we will say that injuries is the main problem. (And don't forget that SAF finished 13th!)

:)

Not going to lie, but actually yes. He has got it spot on regarding why they are trying to move this "generational talent", imo. I would be pretty disappointed of we make this singing. I am not sold on Todibo because of his aerial weakness but I rather have him for the RCB spot as a cheapish punt than this guy. This has red flags written all over it. I think he'll fail badly and we'd be struck with another player on a long contract on high wages.

Of course I could be wrong, but I don't think I am going to be.
I think De ligt is clearly a very good player. Certainly a better player than anyone else we have been linked with. Wages will be fairly high and perhaps injuries are a slight concern. Though possibly not. Aside from Yoro (who isn't realistic), no option ticks every box, so De ligt is arguably the best compromise of price, fitness, wages and current/potential ability.

Also, Todibo isn't an option.

Massively. He's just the type of player that is easily loved if he plays for your team. Born leader, doesn't shy away from getting physical and good on the ball. And totally not slow, he might look slow due to his build, but he's quite quick, just not as fast as the fastest defenders.

Exactly, it's like English people rating a dentist

Thanks for this. Really encouraging to hear.

I think De ligt is clearly a very good player. Certainly a better player than anyone else we have been linked with. Wages will be fairly high and perhaps injuries are a slight concern. Though possibly not. Aside from Yoro (who isn't realistic), no option ticks every box, so De ligt is arguably the best compromise of price, fitness, wages and current/potential ability.

Also, Todibo isn't an option.

Then I rather not sign anyone then go for what I think will be a very expensive mistake (talking about overall cost). I am ready to suffer as a United fan and give INEOS time to sort this out. May be we'll have a tough summer but I rather see us go for young, hungry players selected by our scouts than some 24 year old overhyped & overpaid journeyman touted as the next big thing at 18 but is still to fulfil that potential having done the rounds at the big clubs.

As for Todibo, I think Jim mentioned in his interview, or I read somewhere, that INEOS are going to court to find a solution. He could become an option if that is sorted out in time.

Curious how much of it can be put down to the internal turmoil at both clubs. Juve had something like 3 coaches in 3 years he played there and Allegri wasn't really a fan.

Bayern were also in relative chaos after he moved. Did he do well under Nagelsmann?

Overall, I think the expectations unfortunately are much lower right now for a United CB than a Bayern CB. As long as he manages to stay fit and does a decent job over the season he'll be viewed as a success. Decent as in doesn't get rinsed by faster attackers like Maguire and doesn't look like a deer in headlights when we attempt to build from the back. Couple of last ditch interceptions / tackles will only help his cause. He seems like a good box defender and anticipates those cutbacks quite well.

It's also why he wants to move to United in the first place and on a decent fee (any rando CB goes for 40-50m these days. Everton wanted 70m for a guy with one good season). As long as he's on 200k p/w or so we should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.