De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just doesn't add up to me that we've fought tooth and nail to get in a Sporting Director who will presumably identify top players for reasonable prices and an imaginative recruiting strategy and long-term vision that'll take us back to the top, and then for him to come in and greenlight the signing of De Ligt, the most quintessential United signing imaginable.

24 year old CB isn’t long term?

Eventually he can, but he's not a very prolific goalscorer and I'm not sure he ever will be as he's not necessarily someone who misses a lot of chances, he just doesn't get into scoring positions as often as a more classical striker. He's very compatible with prolific wide attackers/ attacking midfielders who score a lot of goals (like Bruno or on form Rashford), but lacking that I'm not sure how much impact he will make.

There's also the league factor. He's big and strong and surprislingly agile for a big guy, but can he do it in the Premier League? Bit hard to say.

For 40 million he's definitely worth a shot though.

edit: @Andycoleno9 you asked as well, here you go. Don't take my word as gospel though haha.

Yeah sort of how I see him too, basically think he's a high floor type player that will raise the quality of the team even if he never becomes a real gunman bagging goals for fun. If he turned into a giant Firmino I'd be thrilled as that's an extremely useful player.

Think about this lad steaming into you, Martinez ditto and Ugarte being all psycho? Attackers are all of a sudden going to hate playing against us again. De Ligt and Martinez is lovely and balanced.
Ye that only works if De Ligt stays fit.

Be interesting if we can play the deals for De Light and Branthwaite off each other with Bayern and Everton ie can walk away from one and just pursue the other if can't reach something close to our valuation.

If we could sign both for around £100m, that would be good business and really transform our back line and allow us to probably get rid of both Maguire and Lindelof.
Everton don't desperately need to sell. They've sorted a few of their financial issues with the transfers they did last month and they have new investment coming in soon. I doubt they have to deviate much from their asking price.

Bayern however want to free up wages so are more likely to be willing to negotiate.

If he can stay fit for 3/4 of the season we will be fine. Solid top 4 should be the aim this season and this guy definitely helps get us back there. I’m calling it, future Utd captain
Maybe. I still think we need another CB aswell as him. Especially if we sell Lindelof.

World class CB entering his prime, proved on highest level of CL. What else, kind of no-brainer if we get a solid deal with it And he really wants to come.

If he can stay fit for 3/4 of the season we will be fine.

People said exactly the same about Martinez and about Shaw last summer.

World class CB entering his prime, proved on highest level of CL. What else, kind of no-brainer if we get a solid deal with it And he really wants to come.

Because of his Europa League runners up medal?

Martinez was a freak tackle accident, has nothing to do with being "injury prone".

Is this an INEOS or a ETH signing? They want the manager to have less control so they sign one of his former players. That makes everyone think ETH still as a say in signings.

Yeah that's not a bad price, although forgive me that I'm still super skeptical of anything Bayern puts on the market.

It is absolutely fair to be skeptical given our past dealings with other big clubs in Europe. Let’s hope this finally breaks the trend. Right age and profile, and hopefully can show his world class level again with ten Hag.

Martinez was a freak tackle accident, has nothing to do with being "injury prone".

I never said he was. But Shaw is injury prone and people say that it's 'fine if we can get 30+ games out of him'. Same was said about Varane.

As soon as two first choice defenders are injured, the shit starts hitting the fan. There is no value in signing anyone if they can only play 30 games a season. This is also why we desperately need to replace Shaw.

Is this an INEOS or a ETH signing? They want the manager to have less control so they sign one of his former players. That makes everyone think ETH still as a say in signings.

I’m growing tired of what everyone thinks. Let INEOS cook.

He will still have a say in signings, to completely shut him out would be pointless. They just don't want him to have the same level of power that the last lot gave him, which apparently includes a veto. Even if EtH was to never use it, they don't want him to have it.

It seems like football is going in the and way if American sports. As a head coach sometimes you have to just do the best with the team assembled for you, the idea being that it's built by the people with a long term vision, and not a guy who might be gone within 6 months of starting his contract.

Not sure how representative these are of Bayern fans, but they don't seem that happy with this link.

Not sure how representative these are of Bayern fans, but they don't seem that happy with this link.
I wouldn't be either if Tah is the repacement. Kim wasn't great last season, neither was Upamecano. They are potentially selling their best CB.

Are you choosing to ignore the 7 years of UCL football since that final?

Fans happiness or disappointment has nothing to do with a player's quality. I often see that as an argument to justify something. You have people here who would happily sell Bruno but keep McTominey or vice versa.

It just doesn't add up to me that we've fought tooth and nail to get in a Sporting Director who will presumably identify top players for reasonable prices and an imaginative recruiting strategy and long-term vision that'll take us back to the top, and then for him to come in and greenlight the signing of De Ligt, the most quintessential United signing imaginable.
I'm not sure you could call it quintessential Utd, he's still very young, we're not going to pay a fortune for him, and we have a shit load of cash for wages. I doubt he'll be our highest earner, and at worst will be a good option for 4/5 years, with resale value at the end of his contract. The potential upside and low impact on our PSR makes it worth the risk really.

Without CL football this year I dont see how anyone can be too aggrieved about getting a player of De Ligts proven quality, experience and leadership qualities for what looks a very reasonable price. At a great age too with his prime in front of him. I'd prefer a centre half thats all of those things and absolutely rapid but I think this is pretty much as good as it gets for us all things considered

If they believe de Ligt is one of the best CBs we could get this summer they should sign him. I doubt INEOS cares how it looks to some. Also, EtH will definitely have a say in out transfer business, he just won't have as much as he had under the previous management. I would think he'd be happy about that, he worked very well with a DoF at Ajax.

Which also makes people think INEOS talk absolutely nonsense
Yeah I'm sure they're restructuring the club, hiring Dan Ashworth and Jason Wilcox (which has cost them millions to do) just to have ten Hag make all the signings. Come on I'll let you work that one out.

Our interest in de Ligt dates back to 2019.

Fans happiness or disappointment has nothing to do with a player's quality. I often see that as an argument to justify something. You have people here who would happily sell Bruno but keep McTominey or vice versa.
True enough. Mason Mount is another example.

If we're serious I hope we get on with it, don't want a medical right at the end of the transfer window. Hoping we have finally learned how to do proper medicals of course

Howson had just dropped a great assessment on him which include what Rio thinks of him

If he can stay fit for 3/4 of the season we will be fine. Solid top 4 should be the aim this season and this guy definitely helps get us back there. I’m calling it, future Utd captain

Everything you say there has Phil Jones Mk 2 over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.