De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very expensive contract.
Injury prone.
Slow.
Looked decent in an Ajax side six years ago.
Couldn't make it work at Juve.
Couldn't make it work at Bayern.

Sure, let's welcome him with open arms.
He isn't slow, he looked an absolute beast for Ajax at 18 years old, he was very very good at Juventus and also very good at Bayern whenever I've seen him. Only concerned about his injury record to be fair.

Varane is a lot faster and much more agile than this guy. That is why he complimented Martinez well.

Varane is an excellent header of the ball too.

This guy is a Juve and Bayern reject, who is on high wages & will cost a fair fee. The only reason this makes sense is because oir manager can't think beyond players he has worked for before.

When was the last time Bayern let one of their "Best defenders" go for a loss?
Hummels and Pavard have had rather fruitful post-Bayern careers

If we get him, the guy will be our best defender by September and potential captain by the end of the season. Yes I rate him highly, we should have bought him from Ajax years ago.

its been downhill for him since Ajax
I dont rate him at all.
But it looks like a done dealio so hope he proves me wrong.

We gotta sign a second CB then because De Ligt will have lots of knocks in the EPL.

Casemiro does not meet the (mostly from or had Eredivisie experience) criteria, Eriksen, even though played in Ajax, he is very well known as he played for Spurs far more than he played for Ajax and also went to Inter, and Mount only had 1 season in Eredivisie, he played in the PL for far longer, granted, 3 players he signed permanently played under him (Martinez, Antony & Onana), Amrabat is a loan and most likely will not be signed, and Malacia came from Eredivisie, so basically 4 players, I know he had quite the power pre-INEOS, but I do not think this will be case going forward, otherwise, it is pointless to bring in Ashworth and Wilcox if they would simply sign players because EtH wants them, and it is far from the truth about EtH consolidating power at OT, he wasn't even sure he had the job 2 weeks ago and now he is in contract negotiations with INEOS, he knows he is kept in the job simply because there are no better options out there and if the team does not meet certain performance levels he'll be out the door, and his veto power will be stripped from him but obviously he will be consulted when a player is being considered, hiring more Dutch assistants won't mean more power to him.

Btw, I am not arguing that the signings not linked to EtH or not from Dutch league are good or bad, I am just saying that these players (Casemiro, Eriksen, Mount & Hojlund) are not linked to EtH directly, he most likely wanted them to be brought in, but not necessarily because he worked them or knew them personally, I mean 3 of them are known entities in Europe and one is up and coming talent.
I think Eriksen trained with Ajax whilst ETH was there

Onana, Eriksen, Antony and Martinez played for Ajax, Amrabat and Malacia for Feyenoord, Weghorst for AZ and Mount played for Vitesse. Hojlund shares the same agency with ETH. Its the same agency were ETH's son works. There is a pattern whether you want to admit to it or not

We haven't signed anyone just yet however we're linked to many people from the Dutch League again. I am not referring to links coming from ITKs from twitter but reliable journalists like Ornstein and Romano. The same pattern seem to occur once again.

Its interesting to have actual proof of where I am being miserable about it at all.

Why do you keep repeating this? A few posters even told you that yesterday.. Højlund only changed his agency AFTER we went in for him, to make the move happend...

No need to make things up to make your point..

Many posters seems to think ETH only bought these players because of their til with him or their time in Holland

Onana... has played for ETH in Ajax, but many posters here told us a year ago that this guy just had a fantastic season at Inter, and that he would change our way of play both defensive and attacking wice... so many in here agreed with ETH to get this guy, now some of the same blame ETH.. So did ETH buy him for those reasons or because he used to play for him in Ajax?

Eriksen played for Ajax, but not under ETH.. He had his international break through for Denmark and Tottenham more than with Ajax.. Was he bought for those reasons or that he 10 years earlier had played for Ajax? Yes i know he had a trained with Ajax under ETH while recovering from his heart attack.. But do you seriosly believe that spell made ETH buy him? if so why didnt he offer him a contract at Ajax before he joined Brentford?

Antony has been shit, and ETH must take blame for him, no doubt about that..

Martinez most agree that he was our best defender in his first season before injury got him.. which is just bad luck. Can he find his form pre injury he goes under a good transfer. When ETH get the blame for Antony he should also get credit for Martinez

Malacia was a cheap buy, it might work or might nok, just like Oles Daniel James punt.. he also was unlucky to get injuried, his first season was not really anything, but at least it made Shaw wake up. He never played for ETH..

Weghorst Everyone should know that you dont get a world class striker in January on loan, it will be a second or third rate striker.. and there I would prefer someone i knew than some unknown player, someone like Ighalo.. Weghorst did a job, nothing more nothing less.. If you expected more its on you not ETH.. So i understand why ETH went for the known Weghorst than some unknown has (never) been striker. Weghorst also never played for ETH

Amrabat he played for ETH in Holland from 2015-2017, but many posters here agreed he was one of the best midtfielders in Qatar 2022... Could that be the reason alongside that he knew him be the reason ETH wanted him, or was it just that he played for ETH 5-6 years ago?

Mount was injuried for most part of last season, so no one really can know how the season would have gone for him if he was not injuried.. But Mount was a big part of a Chelsea team and scored the winner in the CL final, he was also in the England team, and many dont even know about his time in Holland.. He was a big part player for a top 4 team in PL until they got a manager who didnt fancy him, which happends... So do people really believe that ETH bought him for his one year in Holland, not playing for ETH or could it because of his time at Chelsea..

But even if he just bought these players becasuse he knew them or they shared same agency, the club should have stopped it. So the blame is on the club..

Hummels and Pavard have had rather fruitful post-Bayern careers

Pavard left becasue he wanted to play CB regularly not RB.

Hummels was slow and couldn't hold a high line. That is why Bayern let him go. He also went to BVB, not a top club.

De Ligt and Martinez as a pairing surely lacks pace? Kept hearing last season that Ten Hag's tactics required the CB's to be braver and push up to compress the space, these 2 will do that but are very likely to be vulnerable to balls in behind.

De Ligt and Martinez as a pairing surely lacks pace? Kept hearing last season that Ten Hag's tactics required the CB's to be braver and push up to compress the space, these 2 will do that but are very likely to be vulnerable to balls in behind.
Yeah, that's my concern too. Ideally, we need a physically dominant defender like Rudiger to compliment Martinez.

Someone make me feel hyped about this. I don't see him working well in the PL.

Why are Bayern fans annoyed to lose him if he's as shit as many on here keep saying.

It's a risky one, but for the right price and wages, it's probably worth a go.

If we get this guy then we should start an Injured Sweepstakes.

I'm predicting he'll be injured last week of September, then ruled out till March 2025.

The winner gets a big bar of Toblerone.

If we get him, the guy will be our best defender by September and potential captain by the end of the season. Yes I rate him highly, we should have bought him from Ajax years ago.
its been downhill for him since Ajax
I dont rate him at all.
But it looks like a done dealio so hope he proves me wrong.
Michael Jackson’s Black or White popped into my head reading these.

Why are Bayern fans annoyed to lose him if he's as shit as many on here keep saying.

It's a risky one, but for the right price and wages, it's probably worth a go.

People are rightly concerned about him and Martinez in a high line with the lack of pace, and de Ligt has some injury issues. Other than that, he's a top defender.

I feel the same about this deal as I did for the Mount one. Concerned with the clubs reasoning but ultimately they're not bad players so we'll just see how they do.

But we actually badly need a CB. We didn't really need whatever position Mount plays.

That's a huge difference just to begin with.

I’m on both sides with this one. I like it because it’s more experience, he’s a PL type defender and I think he can form a fantastic partnership with Martinez. My only downsides are I’m kind of over signing stars that have done the rounds at other big clubs, I’d prefer players actually hungry to prove themselves at United and at this level.

Good thing is he’s still 24 and having bounced around a bit hopefully he has the plan of settling here now but his agent’s MO seems to be to get transfers for him every few years to make some money.

If he’s coming here viewing it as another three year stint I’d rather we target someone else.

I rate De Ligt and I think he could be a good addition for the right price. A young right-footed RCB that can pass the ball and defends well. I'd rather him than Branthwaite who I don't think is good enough and that looks off anyway.

But there are also some outstanding issues. He is injury prone, which is a big concern. And between him and Martinez, I think it leaves the team weaker in the air and on the break, and both are already pressing issues. If the club go for someone like Ugarte as well, that will lead to a dangerous lack of pace.

I'm 50:50 on this, particularly because of his injury issues. Another CB will be a must.

This isn't hyperbole but I suspect that there will be narratives throughout the season about us missing Maguire's box defending or having to find a playstyle to unlock De Ligt's potential, assuming he doesn't have a stop-start season due to injuries.

Hope I'm wrong just like how I was adamant that Mount was the wrong signing last summer.

I think Eriksen trained with Ajax whilst ETH was there

Yes, he did, and the fact that he was a free agent helped make the signing an easy one, and a good one at that, EtH must have known about him since he is well known entity and vastly experienced player.

This isn't hyperbole but I suspect that there will be narratives throughout the season about us missing Maguire's box defending or having to find a playstyle to unlock De Ligt's potential, assuming he doesn't have a stop-start season due to injuries.

Hope I'm wrong just like I was about the Mount transfer.

He actually played well at Bayern, I don't think a lot of United fans watched Bayern much. The issue with De Ligt for me is if he can stay fit

Someone make me feel hyped about this. I don't see him working well in the PL.
+ Physical monster
+ Decent on the ball
+ Only 24
+ Tall and handsome
+ Team of the season in the BuLi his first season at Bayern

- Ajax, yuk

He actually played well at Bayern, I don't think a lot of United fans watched Bayern much. The issue with De Ligt for me is if he can stay fit
I've watched them in the CL especially in the 22/23 season when they were in the Group of Death. I've also watched his games at Juve and he's definitely never going to reach Chiellini ceiling, and most likely Bonucci's.

I know there are some who use the "United fans don't watch Bayern regularly" as a beating stick. But just like Mount, I watched quite a number of Chelsea games closely the summer he signed for us because I was regularly betting against them.

De Ligt isn't slow...

I've watched them in the CL especially last season when they were in the Group of Death. I've also watched his games at Juve and he's definitely never going to reach Chiellini ceiling, and most likely Bonucci.

Who was a very good player...
Also at Juve he struggled in his first season but came good after that, not that uncommon for a young player to struggle in their first season abroad to be honest

Varane is a lot faster and much more agile than this guy. That is why he complimented Martinez well.

Varane is an excellent header of the ball too.

This guy is a Juve and Bayern reject, who is on high wages & will cost a fair fee. The only reason this makes sense is because oir manager can't think beyond players he has worked for before.

When was the last time Bayern let one of their "Best defenders" go for a loss?
What a stupid take.

+ Physical monster
+ Decent on the ball
+ Only 24
+ Tall and handsome
+ Team of the season in the BuLi his first season at Bayern

- Ajax, yuk

A like for like replacement for Varane.

last season was knee ligament issues

But before that, two season with limited issues.

De Ligt
SeasonDaysInjuriesGames missed
23/2480 days420
22/2315 days35
21/227 days12
20/21143 days428
19/2025 days37
18/1910 days13
16/1711 days12

Varane

23/2472 days314
22/2352 days315
21/2295 days519
20/2131 days28
18/1920 days25
17/1833 days27
16/1767 days417
15/1692 days319
13/1452 days111
12/13143 days132

He missed 20 games last season due to injury. Varane (who pretty much everyone would agree is 'injury prone') missed 13.

How many have they both missed over the past 3 years?

Who was a very good player...
Also at Juve he struggled in his first season but came good after that, not that uncommon for a young player to struggle in their first season abroad to be honest
Hence my opinion that he's going to be a very risky signing (as shared in an earlier post). Mount was an outright travesty in my eyes. I hope I'm wrong about De Ligt.

last season was knee ligament issues

But before that, two season with limited issues.

De Ligt
23/2480 days420
22/2315 days35
21/227 days12
20/21143 days428
19/2025 days37
18/1910 days13
16/1711 days12

Varane

23/2472 days314
22/2352 days315
21/2295 days519
20/2131 days28
18/1920 days25
17/1833 days27
16/1767 days417
15/1692 days319
13/1452 days111
12/13143 days132

Thats the thing though, knee ligament issues are no joke, hopefully he has recovered properly

How many have they both missed over the past 3 years?
Does the 3 year thing matter if he's missed 20 in the last season? I don't know I just worry he's a risk when licha hasn't had a run of games under his belt for over a year.

Hence my opinion that he's going to be a very risky signing (as shared in an earlier post). Mount was an outright travesty in my eyes. I hope I'm wrong about De Ligt.

I have no idea why someone having a tough season 4/5 years ago means they are going to struggle when they were literally in the team of the season for the Bundesliga as recent as the 22/23 season
The only issue really is he had some bad injuries this past season, so we need to make sure he is healthy

Does the 3 year thing matter if he's missed 20 in the last season? I don't know I just worry he's a risk when licha hasn't had a run of games under his belt for over a year.

If you are going to call someone injury prone then yes it matters, having a bad injury in one season does not make you injury prone
I agree I am worried about the injury, but that's not the same as calling him injury prone is it

Status
Not open for further replies.