De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bayern fans are pretty upset at the prospect of selling him but of course he’s not good enough for our team that currently has only one quality central defender.

He's actually not slow and even at Bayern he's shown the ability to go 1v1 against a very quick and tricky player in Vinicius Junior. The brief highlights below give a glimpse of his channel defending and he's a aggressive player and will defend proactively on the front foot. The only thing I can't assess is his injuries and that's something that will fall on Dan Ashworth.

And here's Thierry Henry giving Nesta and Cannavaro the run around during Euro 2000 final. This is a good example of bigger space opening up hence top class CBs struggle to contain a talent like Henry. I don't think there's a Thierry Henry in the league EPL right now.

For people that will inevitably whine about the fee if this deal happens:

Two very similar profiles in Dias and Maguire went for £65m and £80m respectively, when they were a similar age to de Ligt now, and those deals happened half a decade ago. De Ligt himself changed clubs for over £65m twice in the last 5 years. Centre halves have generally become very expensive since the van Dijk transfer in early 2018, and if a deal gets done now for somewhere between £40-50m, and with reasonable wages as well (there's a lot of space on our wage bill right now), then I'd consider this to be a low-risk, potentially high-reward transfer. The amounts that clubs tend to demand for their best players and biggest prospects these days needs to be considered. Teenagers from South America can easily go for 20-50 million, and most of the talents in Europe that play at clubs with no real need to sell (so mostly PL clubs) are being quoted for close to, or over triple digits these days.

Hopefully, he would be one of two centre half arrivals, though.

I feel like our biggest problem last year was our starting two defenders were always injured. We can afford to carry Martinez because he’s so good but replacing his injury prone partner with another is suicide. He missed 20 games last season and then in 20/21 he missed almost 30 games! Regardless of the two much better seasons in between that clearly shows he’s not reliable

His quality cannot be doubted however

I have no idea why someone having a tough season 4/5 years ago means they are going to struggle when they were literally in the team of the season for the Bundesliga as recent as the 22/23 season
The only issue really is he had some bad injuries this past season, so we need to make sure he is healthy
You are entitled to your opinion and I am not here to change it. In my eyes he's not elite level which is what we are paying for, and likely not to be even just below that tier. Mount was also in the TOTS the prior season before dropping out, by the way.

Despite the obvious warning signs (Eredivisie, Dutch, worked with Hag), De Ligt will be brilliant for you. I'm convinced of it.

Hell, he's an Ajacied and I say this about him. Be more excited.
No, you don't understand. Literally nothing can be positive when it comes to Utd.

De Ligt isn't slow at all. Stop making me promote him.

I told you Malacia and Antony would be cack, I'm always right.

Ok I also said Martinez would be too small.

If you are going to call someone injury prone then yes it matters, having a bad injury in one season does not make you injury prone
I agree I am worried about the injury, but that's not the same as calling him injury prone is it
I'm probably from a different school of thought. If you missed 22 games or whatever it was due to injury in your last season, you're prone to injury.

Maybe I am being harsh here but we have too many sick notes in the side now, I really want sure things as transfers.

That being said I'm pro de Ligt as long as we get another cb too.

I'm probably from a different school of thought. If you missed 22 games or whatever it was due to injury in your last season, you're prone to injury.

Maybe I am being harsh here but we have too many sick notes in the side now, I really want sure things as transfers.

Yes this deosn't make sense me.
But I also agree we need another CB and seems the club do too hence they are taking UEFA to court to get Todibo over the line and still pursuing Brainthwaite

Despite the obvious warning signs (Eredivisie, Dutch, worked with Hag), De Ligt will be brilliant for you. I'm convinced of it.

Hell, he's an Ajacied and I say this about him. Be more excited.

Agreed, I remember overlooking comments back when Tuchel was benching him and the manager was being criticized. Feels like he had less game time due to not being in favor compared to a disregard of his ability / performance levels likely why the Bayern fans are discontent.

I would be worried about De Ligt not having certainty about who his defensive partner would be but with Martinez provisionally it looks solid, a case where both can actually defend with Lisandro being effective playing from the back.

De Ligt and Martinez as a pairing surely lacks pace? Kept hearing last season that Ten Hag's tactics required the CB's to be braver and push up to compress the space, these 2 will do that but are very likely to be vulnerable to balls in behind.
Forget all that. Buying expensive big names that don't fit what we need is just what we do.

last season was knee ligament issues

But before that, two season with limited issues.

De Ligt
SeasonDaysInjuriesGames missed
23/2480 days420
22/2315 days35
21/227 days12
20/21143 days428
19/2025 days37
18/1910 days13
16/1711 days12

Varane

SeasonDaysInjuriesGames missed
23/2472 days314
22/2352 days315
21/2295 days519
20/2131 days28
18/1920 days25
17/1833 days27
16/1767 days417
15/1692 days319
13/1452 days111
12/13143 days132

So, over the past 5 years, he’s missed one more game than Varane? And he’s just about to join United, where even non-injury-prone players seemingly get injured weekly? Yikes!

"Injury prone" quite literally means "often injured". Not "being injured once".

He's actually not slow and even at Bayern he's shown the ability to go 1v1 against a very quick and tricky player in Vinicius Junior. The brief highlights below give a glimpse of his channel defending and he's a aggressive player and will defend proactively on the front foot. The only thing I can't assess is his injuries and that's something that will fall on Dan Ashworth.

And here's Thierry Henry giving Nesta and Cannavaro the run around during Euro 2000 final. This is a good example of bigger space opening up hence top class CBs struggle to contain a talent like Henry. I don't think there's a Thierry Henry in the league EPL right now.

Just because there's a higher chance of him getting done in a 1v1, than van Dijk or Saliba, that doesn't mean he's slow or unable to play in the Premier League. Using that metric, there's only a handful of good defenders in the football world.

So, over the past 5 years, he’s missed one more game than Varane? And he’s just about to join United, where even non-injury-prone players seemingly get injured weekly? Yikes!
Can’t make this shit up. We all see how was it with Varane, but this time will be different.

You are entitled to your opinion and I am not here to change it. In my eyes he's not elite level which is what we are paying for, and likely not to be even just below that tier. Mount was also in the TOTS the prior season before dropping out, by the way.

Never said he was elite, I am asking you how someone having a poor season at 19/20years of age in a new league means they are not good? Especially when they showed they are a top defender in the proceeding seasons?

He looks like a heavily built lad, not dissimilar to Amrabat... and we know how slow he is. I'm sure he looked leaner years ago? Either way, he's a good defender when he's fit and on it, and worth a gamble if we get him on the cheap, but DO NOT PAY silly money and wages for someone that might end up being a has been.

"Injury prone" quite literally means "often injured". Not "being injured once".
To be fair, you can’t just edit the English language to suit yourself :lol:
I'm not. I don't watch the league but I'm going by transfermrkt here - inner ligament injury (9 days) inner knee ligament tear (42 days), a 'knock' (22 days) and a calf injury (7 days).

Thats prone to injury, worryingly two longer ones with ligament injuries which are one of the worse ones. Ligament injuries are very dicey, and knee ligaments are the worst.

Having looked at those injury stats kindly posted, we can’t go near this signing. It’s horrendously risky with him just having had the knee issues last year. A shame as he think he would be a good signing otherwise but it just has “5 year contract, £250k a week and only plays half the matches” written all over it.

[
I'm not. I don't watch the league but I'm going by transfermrkt here - inner ligament injury (9 days) inner knee ligament tear (42 days), a 'knock' (22 days) and a calf injury (7 days).

Thats prone to injury, worryingly two longer ones with ligament injuries which are one of the worse ones. Ligament injuries are very dicey, and knee ligaments are the worst.

I mean, that’s absolutely not what you posted previously though :lol:

[

I mean, that’s absolutely not what you posted previously though :lol:
I meant in the sense of having more injuries that accumulate to a longer duration out. I understand a player can have one lengthy layoff but not be injury prone (VVD), I felt that went without saying.

De Ligt has missed 22 games or so from 3-4 different injury issues.

Never said he was elite, I am asking you how someone having a poor season at 19/20years of age in a new league means they are not good? Especially when they showed they are a top defender in the proceeding seasons?
Never said you said he's elite. Not sure why you're stuck at 4-5 seasons ago. Have a great week ahead.

Mount has done well when he was able to play. Injuries in season 1 don't make him a bad signing.

Why do you keep repeating this? A few posters even told you that yesterday.. Højlund only changed his agency AFTER we went in for him, to make the move happend...

No need to make things up to make your point..

Many posters seems to think ETH only bought these players because of their til with him or their time in Holland

Onana... has played for ETH in Ajax, but many posters here told us a year ago that this guy just had a fantastic season at Inter, and that he would change our way of play both defensive and attacking wice... so many in here agreed with ETH to get this guy, now some of the same blame ETH.. So did ETH buy him for those reasons or because he used to play for him in Ajax?

Eriksen played for Ajax, but not under ETH.. He had his international break through for Denmark and Tottenham more than with Ajax.. Was he bought for those reasons or that he 10 years earlier had played for Ajax? Yes i know he had a trained with Ajax under ETH while recovering from his heart attack.. But do you seriosly believe that spell made ETH buy him? if so why didnt he offer him a contract at Ajax before he joined Brentford?

Antony has been shit, and ETH must take blame for him, no doubt about that..

Martinez most agree that he was our best defender in his first season before injury got him.. which is just bad luck. Can he find his form pre injury he goes under a good transfer. When ETH get the blame for Antony he should also get credit for Martinez

Malacia was a cheap buy, it might work or might nok, just like Oles Daniel James punt.. he also was unlucky to get injuried, his first season was not really anything, but at least it made Shaw wake up. He never played for ETH..

Weghorst Everyone should know that you dont get a world class striker in January on loan, it will be a second or third rate striker.. and there I would prefer someone i knew than some unknown player, someone like Ighalo.. Weghorst did a job, nothing more nothing less.. If you expected more its on you not ETH.. So i understand why ETH went for the known Weghorst than some unknown has (never) been striker. Weghorst also never played for ETH

Amrabat he played for ETH in Holland from 2015-2017, but many posters here agreed he was one of the best midtfielders in Qatar 2022... Could that be the reason alongside that he knew him be the reason ETH wanted him, or was it just that he played for ETH 5-6 years ago?

Mount was injuried for most part of last season, so no one really can know how the season would have gone for him if he was not injuried.. But Mount was a big part of a Chelsea team and scored the winner in the CL final, he was also in the England team, and many dont even know about his time in Holland.. He was a big part player for a top 4 team in PL until they got a manager who didnt fancy him, which happends... So do people really believe that ETH bought him for his one year in Holland, not playing for ETH or could it because of his time at Chelsea..

But even if he just bought these players becasuse he knew them or they shared same agency, the club should have stopped it. So the blame is on the club..

This is getting boring. So it's going to be my last post on the matter

A- I know murtough was useless.I was the first in here to highlight that at a time when everyone in here was wanking about how great the 'fixer' was. Go and check for yourself in the murtough thread

B-Back then it made sense for ETH to have a huge say on signings, just as it made sense now since Ashworth and Berrada hasn't started yet. Don't take me wrong it's far from ideal as a proper football management is a must but I'd rather have ETH calling the shots then Woodward/Arnold/Brailsford

Will things change? Once Ashworth and Berrada settle down in their job then I believe so. Neither guy seem comfortable in a cheerleader role.

However it's evident that ETH was calling the shots on transfers back then just as it's evident that he's having a huge say now. I doubt that ineos have caught the eredivisie bug

Always feels ominous when people talk about someone having good resale value. The same was being said in reply to skepticism about Antony and Mounts signings. Also the likes of AWB and Sancho in the past. How are their resale values doing?

Mount has done well when he was able to play. Injuries in season 1 don't make him a bad signing.

Not having a position in the managers starting eleven when fit is what made him a truly awful signing.

We do not really see a full 1v1 sprint but i like that he is aggressive and he is a leader. If he can avoid any more ligament injures he could do a job for us i guess. He and Martinez would create a good aggressive pair, im just alittle worried if we play a high line and the other team pump long balls behind the defence against a fast attacker.

We do not really see a full 1v1 sprint but i like that he is aggressive and he is a leader. If he can avoid any more ligament injures he could do a job for us i guess. He and Martinez would create a good aggressive pair, im just alittle worried if we play a high line and the other team pumpe long balls behind the defence against a fast attacker.

Hes actually quite quick to be honest, and also good at defending 1 vs 1 against wide players when fullbacks push up high

Need a post stickied on the start of every page to say it's complement, not compliment.

De Ligt might tell Lisandro Martinez he has a nice haircut or a nice style, but it is his style of football which is (or isn't) complementary with the Argentine.

Status
Not open for further replies.