De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signings done during ETH's period were mostly from or had Eredivisie experience. One of the exceptions to the rule was Hojlund who is from the same agency as ETH. De Ligt is in line to that (his former captain at Ajax). Meanwhile we're set to add 2 Dutch assistants one of whom was ETH's no 2

This is a power move mate. Its evident that ETH is consolidating power at OT

Casemiro does not meet the (mostly from or had Eredivisie experience) criteria, Eriksen, even though played in Ajax, he is very well known as he played for Spurs far more than he played for Ajax and also went to Inter, and Mount only had 1 season in Eredivisie, he played in the PL for far longer, granted, 3 players he signed permanently played under him (Martinez, Antony & Onana), Amrabat is a loan and most likely will not be signed, and Malacia came from Eredivisie, so basically 4 players, I know he had quite the power pre-INEOS, but I do not think this will be case going forward, otherwise, it is pointless to bring in Ashworth and Wilcox if they would simply sign players because EtH wants them, and it is far from the truth about EtH consolidating power at OT, he wasn't even sure he had the job 2 weeks ago and now he is in contract negotiations with INEOS, he knows he is kept in the job simply because there are no better options out there and if the team does not meet certain performance levels he'll be out the door, and his veto power will be stripped from him but obviously he will be consulted when a player is being considered, hiring more Dutch assistants won't mean more power to him.

Btw, I am not arguing that the signings not linked to EtH or not from Dutch league are good or bad, I am just saying that these players (Casemiro, Eriksen, Mount & Hojlund) are not linked to EtH directly, he most likely wanted them to be brought in, but not necessarily because he worked them or knew them personally, I mean 3 of them are known entities in Europe and one is up and coming talent.

In my opinion De Ligt moved too early for his own good. Ajax were always going to ask for silly money for him, Mino would have asked huge money in terms of salary and at age 19 he wasn't ready for either of them. That was going to be a problem everywhere he went. Players on an 11m a year must deliver as WC players and De Ligt was still too young and raw to do so.

Years later and things are even in a worst state. He had an injury ridden season and he's on around 14m a year. On those terms De Ligt must be constantly available and constantly dishing 7/10 performances something he's not doing. Hence why he's constantly being replaced by players who can do the job extremely well but on half the salary (Bremer is on 8m a year, Tah will probably be on similar terms if he moves to Bayern)
I think the big issue will be around his fitness and that is something Wilcox and Ashworth (indirectly) will have to make the call on. And Omar Berrarda may not be involved officially but he will be involved unofficially, and as the reports have alluded to, he's already working on behalf of the club and the salaries paid out will fall under his remit.

In theory great but I'm very wary of a club like Bayern parting.with him. If they're happy to sell my first thought would be there's an issue.
Let's kill this notion that when Bayern sell it means theres something wrong with the player, Bayern want to reduce their wage bill. They have a core of player there in Kimmich, Musiala, Sane etc that will get new contracts soon and don't want multiple players hovering close to 250k/300k per week. They want to bring in Tah who's going to be on less wages and he's a German starter so it fits perfectly for them. They need the wage flexibility and money to do that in addition to other signings so that's why he's being sold. Bayern fans don't want him gone, it's more of a need to sell not a want to sell. De Ligt is more than good enough to start for Bayern and defo good enough for us.

Dier was their best defender after he joined.
I've not read this anywhere to be fair. Went over to the bayern forum page and saw virtually every post claim De Ligt is their best center back. Dier was good but barely been there 6 months.

So he’s nothing like Lindelof then :)
Haha yea, I was really just using Lindelof as a starting point in his speed, I think some people mentioned that he won't be fast enough, but I think he'll be fine. He seems pretty nimble too. I think he'll be solid for the team, I'm not expecting World Class but I am expecting something better than peak Maguire

Very expensive contract.
Injury prone.
Slow.
Looked decent in an Ajax side six years ago.
Couldn't make it work at Juve.
Couldn't make it work at Bayern.

Sure, let's welcome him with open arms.

Looks like this one is moving forward. Bayern want to sell and we’ve offered a contract this will probably get done

I've not read this anywhere to be fair. Went over to the bayern forum page and saw virtually every post claim De Ligt is their best center back. Dier was good but barely been there 6 months.
Best isn't really the right word, but he surely was their most reliably CB since he joined. Never injured (unlike de Ligt), always a 7/10 or 8/10 performance (unlike Upamecano and Kim, who had some big blunders). And probably he is on the smallest wages of those. Every club likes to have such players in their squad.

Dier never will have a 9/10 or 10/10 performance, but that's perfectly fine as it's expected.

Despite the obvious warning signs (Eredivisie, Dutch, worked with Hag), De Ligt will be brilliant for you. I'm convinced of it.

Hell, he's an Ajacied and I say this about him. Be more excited.

Very expensive contract.
Injury prone.
Slow.

Tbh, I've been very critical of de Ligt at Juve vs Ajax, it looked like he lost speed and agileness while he gained a lot of muscles, but he had a really good season at Bayern last year. I found him quite convincing in most games I watched and the reactions on the socials of Bayern fans lamenting over letting him go over Upa and Dier is telling. Although I'm not a big fan of the Dutch armada that Ten Hag is bringing in here, this transfer would be a good one I think. A top tier defender from one of the best European sides at an interesting age, but already with loads of experience is something that is very rare.

Tbh, I've been very critical of de Ligt at Juve vs Ajax, it looked like he lost speed and agileness while he gained a lot of muscles, but he had a really good season at Bayern last year. I found him quite convincing in most games I watched and the reactions on the socials of Bayern fans lamenting over letting him go over Upa and Dier is telling. Although I'm not a big fan of the Dutch armada that Ten Hag is bringing in here, this transfer would be a good one I think. A top tier defender from one of the best European sides at an interesting age, but already with loads of experience is something that is very rare.

This is a player we've been linked with every time he moved, so I'm less worried about the Dutch link than I was with someone like Antony. Although, that was mostly due to the fee we paid

Very expensive contract.
Injury prone.
Slow.

Team of the season in the Bundesliga. Weird way to not make it work.

Best isn't really the right word, but he surely was their most reliably CB since he joined. Never injured (unlike de Ligt), always a 7/10 or 8/10 performance (unlike Upamecano and Kim, who had some big blunders). And probably he is on the smallest wages of those. Every club likes to have such players in their squad.

Dier never will have a 9/10 or 10/10 performance, but that's perfectly fine as it's expected.

Is he really that injury prone? I had a quick look and he did miss a lot of games last year it seems, mainly due to one knee injury. Before that his record looks pretty standard, other than 20/21 at Juve when it looks like a bad shoulder injury kept him out for almost a third of the season...

Still, that's two unrelated injuries, so it's not like he has dodgy hamstrings or the like. At least not on paper anyway

If I didn't know we changed higher management, I'd have thought we still have the old people in charge. We will never learn it seems.
Yup. This comes across as very Woodward era United finding the biggest name available and paying them shitloads to lure them here. This guy is an enormous risk given the wages involved - INEOS better get this right. Hope it works out well

I'm excited to be honest.
Same here, think he'll surprise a fair few.

Think he could develop a real solid partnership with Martinez (blows my mind that he's a year and a half younger than him) moving forward while providing some steel and character to the dressing room and on the pitch.

Hope the manager can get the best out of him again like he once did before

Think he could develop a real solid partnership with Martinez (blows my mind that he's a year a half younger than him) moving forward while providing some steel and character to the dressing room and on the pitch.

Agreed mate. I think it could end up being a great move. Also, the Todibo thing with us fighting the ruling, say it's successful, that would be two very good signings at CB and a very positive start to the window.

Goodness me I love silly season :drool: :p

Think he could develop a real solid partnership with Martinez (blows my mind that he's a year a half younger than him) moving forward while providing some steel and character to the dressing room and on the pitch.

De Ligt feels like he's been around for ages. I was surprised when I saw that he's only a year and a half older than Saliba.

Reading the comments from Bayern fans, it’s hard not to be excited by this. But it makes you wonder why Bayern want to sell him and at a loss

Would be a good signing for us, I think. Has had a pretty good season in the Bundesliga and knowing the manager can't be a bad thing.

IF we pay around 40 mil then it is a good transfer. He has a lot of qualities and, because of his age, we can always get part of our money back. Ajax will buy him back. :)

He wasn't in the team of the year.
He was last year

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bunde...eason-2022-23-vote-fifa-ea-sports-fut23-23319

TOTS2223_EN_WINNER_Line-up_16-9-1.jpg

Interestingly enough, he's represented by the lady who took over Mino Raiola's agency

She has a much different and more lowkey way of doing business than him though tbf for anyone scared off that :lol:

Is he really that injury prone? I had a quick look and he did miss a lot of games last year it seems, mainly due to one knee injury. Before that his record looks pretty standard, other than 20/21 at Juve when it looks like a bad shoulder injury kept him out for almost a third of the season...

Still, that's two unrelated injuries, so it's not like he has dodgy hamstrings or the like. At least not on paper anyway
I also think that his injury record is way overblown in this forum. Still it's a fact, when de Ligt was injured in the second half of the season Dier was there to replace him. Actually it looked at the end as if Dier/de Ligt was Tuchel's preferred CB pair due to bad form from Upamecano and Kim.

Not a fan of this for reasons already discussed in the thread. Seems exactly the type of mistake we’ve been making for the past 10 years. He’s clearly a decent player but a lot of concerns regarding availability, mobility etc.

On the plus side I think he stylistically compliments Martinez well, and his profile can probably replace Varane without too much disruption (and better passing ability). But this is pointless if we can’t get a stable CB partnership due to constant fecking injuries.

When we're constantly in the position of having big names on ridiculously inflated wages, we end up having to loan them or sell them for peanuts.

This is a rare scenario where the situation is reserved, and Bayern have a player on massive wages.

Why can't we take him off their hands for 20mil, or just loan him?

Romano just retweeted his tweet from before again

Must not have much to add yet outside of seemingly backing up what we're hearing today about opening club to club negotiations with Bayern as we continue to work on personal terms with him.

I feel the same about this deal as I did for the Mount one. Concerned with the clubs reasoning but ultimately they're not bad players so we'll just see how they do.

Not a fan of this for reasons already discussed in the thread. Seems exactly the type of mistake we’ve been making for the past 10 years. He’s clearly a decent player but a lot of concerns regarding availability, mobility etc.

On the plus side I think he stylistically compliments Martinez well, and his profile can probably replace Varane without too much disruption (and better passing ability). But this is pointless if we can’t get a stable CB partnership due to constant fecking injuries.
He ain't that injury prone.

Varane is a lot faster and much more agile than this guy. That is why he complimented Martinez well.

Varane is an excellent header of the ball too.

This guy is a Juve and Bayern reject, who is on high wages & will cost a fair fee. The only reason this makes sense is because oir manager can't think beyond players he has worked for before.

When was the last time Bayern let one of their "Best defenders" go for a loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.