De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
200k with fat bonus to make it 260-270 if he hits the appearance number seems fine to me.
For 35-45m range, he is the best we can get at this moment ( those who would be open to join us)

Would he be open to that kind of wage structure, also @BayernFan87 has he really got a severe lack of pace as many perceive on the forum. Should we be worried about his aerial duels won being less than Dier and Min-Jae considering his height too.

Last edited:
Never buy from Bayern. Never buy from Madrid. If they were worth it they would be keeping them.

Never buy from Bayern. Never buy from Madrid. If they were worth it they would be keeping them.

Agree on Madrid but Bayern is a mess right now from top to bottom. Sabitzer was worth keeping and Kim and Upamecano are stinking up the place on a weekly basis yet they want to get rid of De Ligt. I wouldn't do it purely for injury risk/history, but he's a good defender at a good price. Would also complement our butcher.

I'm choosing to read into the views of Bayern fans quite positively over this, most don't want him to go. It's usually our end excited, and them being realistic and saying who we're excited for is bobbins and generally, in recent times, they've been right.

Hopefully the price is right, and his injury niggles are over?

Definitely buy from Madrid. You just need more than 2 brain cells to not go for the 32y old guy they have completely drained.
Those wasted 80M could get you Lunin and Mendy this summer or the one before to instantly improve your team.

I remember him from his Juve days. His ratio of saves were second only to their goalkeepers

I think it’s just the Casemiro signing trauma, most teams would be more than happy to get a player from these clubs.

Schweinstiger was just a low fee/ short deal so didn’t cost us much.

Manchester United are always interested in good players.
We all have Ornstein to thank for confirming that :boring:

I think it’s just the Casemiro signing trauma, most teams would be more than happy to get a player from these clubs.

Schweinstiger was just a low fee/ short deal so didn’t cost us much.

Bastian had a huge salary then there's the crock with the entitlement himself, the first to suck every cent out of our club, move to City and then blame us for ruining him, the English patient himself, Sir Owen Hargreaves.

Manchester United are always interested in good players.
We all have Ornstein to thank for confirming that :boring:

Looks like transfer season is not for you. You should logout, avoid all the news and check when the season starts.

I truly think that will be an amazing signing for Man Utd. Potentialy the start of a turnaround. Yes it will not be cheap, but you have to take a bit of a gamble in the current situation and he might just be the best gamble you can make.

If this works out you not only get a very good defender but also a potential young captain and leader. Good players with leader potential shouldnt be undervalued.
I really think that if Man Utd is taking steps to fix the dressing room and mentality issues you clearly have, you will become real contenders again soon.

The response is going to be in both cases it’s financial reasons, but that doesn’t make it sound much better. If he’s that good, both clubs would’ve been looking to keep him and move on other players.
Covid hit juventus like an avalanche. They *wanted* to sell other guys too. De Ligt is the one they managed to sell for big money because there was an offer. They would have sold anybody. Consider that their board of directors was fired, Andrea Agnelli risked jail time, the club had to change the entire board+fron office, accept stiff fines, a big points deduction, and a UEFA ban, over the actions they took to escape from the financial black hole covid put them in

[Also, Juventus signed him by granting a buyout clause. From the very beginning, every party understood the player wasn't gonna stick around beyond 2-3 years]

The issues with him are
- broke onto the scene very early on, and played so well for Ajax at such an early age that there was "historically great CB" hype around him. And obviously he hasn't lived up to that at all. He's a great player, but there's plenty out there like him. Case in point, the much cheaper CB juventus replaced him with turned out to be just as good if not better
- wages. He's just not worth that kind of money
- that inner knee ligament is worrying. 3 injuries over the last 2 years including a tear? Yikes. That sounds like it might develop into a chronic issue....

This is the guy. He has an instinct for defending that you can't teach. His knee injuries are a worry, but he's 24. His best days are still to come.

He is on £270K a week. He isn't coming here as he would have to take a pay cut.

It's just the usual lazy journalism like last summer when we were linked with Gravenbum because of the Ajax connection.
He can agree on longer contract on smaller wages and bonuses. I think he would be our best defender by September, the guy oozes class.

I truly think that will be an amazing signing for Man Utd. Potentialy the start of a turnaround. Yes it will not be cheap, but you have to take a bit of a gamble in the current situation and he might just be the best gamble you can make.

If this works out you not only get a very good defender but also a potential young captain and leader. Good players with leader potential shouldnt be undervalued.
I really think that if Man Utd is taking steps to fix the dressing room and mentality issues you clearly have, you will become real contenders again soon.
Are we not in a position where we should be doing the opposite of gambling?

He is on £270K a week. He isn't coming here as he would have to take a pay cut.

It's just the usual lazy journalism like last summer when we were linked with Gravenbum because of the Ajax connection.
You guys keep saying this thing regarding wages as if players don't leave big wages to join teams on lower wages all the time. He won't be earning 270k here that's for sure and in order to play week in week out where he's wanted he'll take that wage cut.

De Ligt is one break away from being the best in the world. He has VVD potential, he just needs the chance at the right club in the right circumstances. No better one than United right now, next to Martinez and playing for Ten Haag. He has all the natural instincts you want a defender to have. He knows how to read danger and always chooses the right option to deal with it. His sliding technique is fantastic, he knows how to intercept and progress the ball, he's not scared of the ball at all and he's a beast in the air. What else do you want? He's not rapid but he's not a slouch either. Injuries are the only concern but even then he's been good regarding that for a while now, his injuries aren't consistent niggling ones. As I said he has world class potential, still just 24 and this could be that break he needs to connect all the dots. I see folks saying he isn't good enough and I laugh, so one season Yoro is better? Who else is better? Please name your suggestions, Califiori that no one knew before this season? Football Manager and EA FC is making a lot of you guys not use your eyes anymore when judging players, it's biases and YouTube compilations you base on, watch De Ligt v Madrid recently and you'll see the man is a beast.

Ornstein is a bad choice for you to target. He's great at his job.
Well when he mentions a player that no other media outlet has reported we are interested in and we sign that player I will start paying a bit more attention to him.

Well when he mentions a player that no other media outlet has reported we are interested in and we sign that player I will start paying a bit more attention to him.
He's the most reliable journalist out there. Really bizarre that you've got something against him.

As thousands of players will be mentioned by all kinds of questionable sources on no ground whatsoever to gain clicks the few serious journalists like Ornstein will never be the first to „report“ because when he does negotiations are at an advanced stage with the player and not the screening process of dozens of players at best or made up fairytales by agents at worst.

Last edited:
He's the most reliable journalist out there. Really bizarre that you've got something against him.
Innit, he’s absolutely the number 1 source for United at least. Go in on the other no marks, but Orny is very good, normally goes first too.

As thousands of players will be mentioned by all kinds of questionable sources on no ground whatsoever to gain clicks the few serious journalists like Ornstein will never be the first to „report“ because when he does negotiations are at an advanced stage with the player and not the screening process of dozens of players at best or made up fairytales by agents at worst.
And that is fair enough but he is reporting that we are interested in De Ligt and as I posted originally was the line that Manchester United are always interested in good players so for me it is a bit of a throw away line.
He is also reporting that we are in talks with Zirkzee's people but no offer to the club yet but he is one of the multiple attacking options we are looking at, yet again that to me does not really say anything.

I have nothing against him...I have never met the bloke.
It just seems there is no real insight but he just announces (along with Fab) around the same time as the BBC announce when the deal has virtually been done.

It just seems there is no real insight but he just announces (along with Fab) around the same time as the BBC announce when the deal has virtually been done.

This is nonsense. He's the best and most reliable journalist out there right now, and often the first break big things.

Im really surprised how bad you rate him.

Almost all Bayern fans would rather sell Upamecano and/or Kim and keep de Ligt.

We’ve been burned with high-profile injury-prone signings from the likes of Bayern and Real before, the automatic suspicion is that if these clubs are willing to let them go then there must be something wrong with them. Also, his history with our manager also raises concerns given our shambolic transfer “strategy” of the last two years.

You've clearly not paid any attention to Ornstein's transfer work over the last few years if you think he doesn't get exclusives or calls things before they're done. Fab too but he just repeats it 50 times.

Ornstein used to work for BBC that's why it used to be announced before everyone else. Now it's Ornstein at The Athletic who breaks it before everyone else. Very strange opinion.

I like him. He is not perfect and has some lapses at times, but he would be a clear starter for us. However, he is too injury prone

Doesn't even get in the Dutch side.
You seem to have a personal problem with him. First of all, not getting into the team doesn't mean he's not a good centre back. Van Dijk has been arguably one of the best centre backs in the world for the past few years, and de Vrij is also a great centre back. Secondly, you know that some managers have preferences despite them not actually being better players, right? Mainoo can't even get into the team in midfield ahead of Alexander-Arnold, surely he must be shit if we're going to go by your own logic? Cole Palmer can't get more than a few minutes, even Jeremie Frimpong who is one of the world's best offensive right backs in the world can't get into the Dutch side.

Why do you think you know better than Bayern fans who watch every single match from him, whereas you only go by "but Juventus sold him and Bayern wants him out" argument? You know literally nothing about the player's performances recently. It's bizarre.

Why is this shit still around? Bayern sold Kroos to Madrid for peanuts because Bayern didn't want to match Kroos' demands. Their reasoning? They didn't think he was a world class player. They also sold Hummels, Lucas Hernandez, Alaba, Mandzukic, Podolski, Lúcio etc.

Real Madrid sold Özil, Robben, Ødegaard, Hakimi, Kovacic, Theo Hernandez, Keylor Navas, Di Maria, Robinho, Garay, Makelele etc.

It is pathetic how you act like these clubs are some AI that can make no mistakes. Sometimes, players just don't fit the manager's ideas, a player can have issues with the management, they don't want to renew or maybe the club wants to get rid of players that earn too much which is the case for De Ligt. When Bayern fans have him as their best centre back, why do you think you know better and just assume he is shit because Bayern board want him out? The fans don't, so that should tell you something, no?

Ornstein used to work for BBC that's why it used to be announced before everyone else. Now it's Ornstein at The Athletic who breaks it before everyone else. Very strange opinion.
I will pay special attention to our first signing and follow the history leading up to it.

Name me one when he was the first one on a story

Chelsea talks with Jonathan David

United advanced interest in Zirkzee

Olise choosing Bayern 10 minutes after everyone else only reported Chelsea's withdrawal from the pursuit

ETH staying at United

McKenna contract extension

Ashworth arbitration

Amorim WHU talks

Branthwaite opening offer too I think

And these are just recent ones that came to mind and then I scrolled through his Twitter for 3 minutes

Ornie is the Goat of football journalism

Status
Not open for further replies.