De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are entitled to think it isn’t a good signing. I don’t like this obligation that we have to believe every signing will work. By recent history our signings are more likely to fail than not. And we need to scrutinise them more because they’ve been so bad

That’s quite an illogical way to think about things when you consider the people that made those signings have left the club.

This guy and Martinez should hopefully be our CB pairing for many years to come.

I agree. Surely with ETH as the manager, de Ligt will be the first option as right centre back.

Wouldnt even be suprised if de Ligt becomes the captain in a few years.
We did not just drop 60m on Yoro for him to be backup.. I think there will be equal opportunities for DeLigt and Yoro to claim the starting spot

We did not just drop 60m on Yoro for him to be backup.. I think there will be equal opportunities for DeLigt and Yoro to claim the starting spot
18 year old Yoro would not be playing every game. We will and should allow him to grow. But first he will need to make his way back to fitness after surgery. Some says November heard could be till January

18 year old Yoro would not be playing every game. We will and should allow him to grow. But first he will need to make his way back to fitness after surgery. Some says November heard could be till January
Yeah I agree.. I was just responding to the posters who think Martinez & DeLigt will be long term first choice pairing..

My hunch is Yoro will make that RCB spot his own in a year or so and everyone else will be second/third choice..

He is still a relativity young player but he has been around the block with a few clubs without ever really settling ,hopefully he finds his real football home here and fulfills that world class potential he showed when he first came on the scene.

Yoro and De Ligt initial outlays have cost just £15m more than Everton wanted for Branthwaite.
That’s just crazy but also shows that while Branthwaite is a good promising player it’s just not worth going silly money for him.

We’re finally behaving sensibly with our money. That’s not to say that this guarantees success but at least it’s protecting against signing inflated fee players who get stuck on the books.

I do like his club progression learn his trade at Ajax, the art of defending in the Italian league, German league pick up the pace now the most difficult and fastest league around. Hope he does well for us

So pending rubber stamping, we have signed Yoro for 52m and De Ligt for 38.5m. A combined base fee of 90m for the best u23 centre back in the world, a player described as a generational defensive talent, and a 24 year old highly rated, potentially world class CB with tons of experience.

It’s the sort of thoughtful consideration, planning and negotiation that has been missing from United since Ferguson and Gill left. The epitome of finding value in the market. Instead of spending. 75m+ on Jarred Branthwaite, we have instead brought in Yoro (18) and De Ligt (24) for only 15m more. Given De Ligt’s experience playing LCB, we have covered both CB positions with those two transfers, and with the signing of Mazraoui covered both full back positions. A player whose fee is cancelled out by the sale of Wan Bissaka.

None of this is to say I don’t rate Brsnthwaite. I really do. I think he’d have been a really good signing, but I love that we placed a value on his transfer and refused to go above it. We offered Everton I believe 45m plus 5m in add-ons for him, which was a fair offer. And while I understand Everton’s assessment it wasn’t enough for them to sell, we’ve instead secured De Ligt for 38m plus 3m in add-ons. So about 9m less than our highest offer for Branthwaite and 35m less than Everton wanted to sell him. That 35m difference is the bulk of the fee to bring in a top midfielder like Ugarte (add another 10m or so).

We have clearly set out our stall as to the type of fees we are willing to pay, and how we will manage our budget to address as many of our squad needs as possible; and I have to say we’ve done superb job so far. Mazraoui, De Ligt, Yoro, and Zirkzee in one window for 140m combined, is superb business that improves us enormously.

We now have three first choice cbs for two positions, Yoro, De Ligt, Martinez, meaning we can actually rotate without falling to pieces. In Maguire we have an excellent and experienced fourth choice cb, and in Evans a super cheap but reliable and experienced fifth choice back up. We can now potentially offset some of the cost by selling Lindelof, like we’ve done with AWB.

INEOS are steadily reshaping the squad to actually resemble something coherent and competitive. As for De Ligt, he’s the best centre back realistically available on the market this summer and undoubtedly had the potential to be one world class. At worst I believe he’ll just be a very, very good defender. He’s exactly the type of CB we needed to add to the squad as he’s in that mold of being no nonsense, tough tackling, physically dominant and just generally very good at everything you want a defender to be good at. He’s also plenty competent on the ball, and has lots of experience playing a high line.

Reactions: BenitoSTARR
Yeah I agree.. I was just responding to the posters who think Martinez & DeLigt will be long term first choice pairing..

My hunch is Yoro will make that RCB spot his own in a year or so and everyone else will be second/third choice..

Yoro should be one of the best defenders in the world by 21/22 years of age, if his development goes well.

I think our squad planning at CB is very smart so far. Leny could be paired with all of Martínez, de Ligt, Maguire, and Branthwaite as well, if we get him in the future. We should have some great combinations if most of them can stay healthy.

So pending rubber stamping, we have signed Yoro for 52m and De Ligt for 38.5m. A combined base fee of 90m for the best u23 centre back in the world, a player described as a generational defensive talent, and a 24 year old highly rated, potentially world class CB with tons of experience.

It’s the sort of thoughtful consideration, planning and negotiation that has been missing from United since Ferguson and Gill left. The epitome of finding value in the market. Instead of spending. 75m+ on Jarred Branthwaite, we have instead brought in Yoro (18) and De Ligt (24) for only 15m more. Given De Ligt’s experience playing LCB, we have covered both CB positions with those two transfers, and with the signing of Mazraoui covered both full back positions. A player whose fee is cancelled out by the sale of Wan Bissaka.

None of this is to say I don’t rate Brsnthwaite. I really do. I think he’d have been a really good signing, but I love that we placed a value on his transfer and refused to go above it. We offered Everton I believe 45m plus 5m in add-ons for him, which was a fair offer. And while I understand Everton’s assessment it wasn’t enough for them to sell, we’ve instead secured De Ligt for 38m plus 3m in add-ons. So about 9m less than our highest offer for Branthwaite and 35m less than Everton wanted to sell him. That 35m difference is the bulk of the fee to bring in a top midfielder like Ugarte (add another 10m or so).

We have clearly set out our stall as to the type of fees we are willing to pay, and how we will manage our budget to address as many of our squad needs as possible; and I have to say we’ve done superb job so far. Mazraoui, De Ligt, Yoro, and Zirkzee in one window for 140m combined, is superb business that improves us enormously.

We now have three first choice cbs for two positions, Yoro, De Ligt, Martinez, meaning we can actually rotate without falling to pieces. In Maguire we have an excellent and experienced fourth choice cb, and in Evans a super cheap but reliable and experienced fifth choice back up. We can now potentially offset some of the cost by selling Lindelof, like we’ve done with AWB.

INEOS are steadily reshaping the squad to actually resemble something coherent and competitive. As for De Ligt, he’s the best centre back realistically available on the market this summer and undoubtedly had the potential to be one world class. At worst I believe he’ll just be a very, very good defender. He’s exactly the type of CB we needed to add to the squad as he’s in that mold of being no nonsense, tough tackling, physically dominant and just generally very good at everything you want a defender to be good at. He’s also plenty competent on the ball, and has lots of experience playing a high line.
I just wanted to say I agree wholeheartedly with this and it’s a great post.

I think this will be a great signing. We’ve got really good value as well

Yoro should be one of the best defenders in the world by 21/22 years of age, if his development goes well.

I think our squad planning at CB is very smart so far. Leny could be paired with all of Martínez, de Ligt, Maguire, and Branthwaite as well, if we get him in the future. We should have some great combinations if most of them can stay healthy.
Agree with all of this..

I was just saying that eventually in a year or so, whenever both are healthy, Yoro will be the first choice RCB longterm, not DeLigt..

The signs are good hopefully.

It also highlights exactly how woefully incompetent the previous regime was.

That’s quite an illogical way to think about things when you consider the people that made those signings have left the club.
Not really. We continued making poor signings after Woodward left too. And have already made several under Erik, who presumably was a big voice in the next 2 signings.

I’m very happy with this signing. I think it’s an immense talent who went to the wrong huge clubs at the wrong time. Hopefully some real leadership back there.

Fabrizio Romano said United expect it to be Matthijs de Ligt and Noussair Mazraoui day on Monday. Now I'm pleased we signed them, but cant say I'm thrilled about changing the name of beginning of the week after them. That'll get tiresome after about a fortnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.