De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martinez’s pace will compensate for De Ligt’s lack of pace. I’m much more worried about Onana having declared that he will take more risks, which is the last thing defenders want to hear from their keeper. Onana needs to improve his concentration and anticipation and abandon all desire to take more risks.

I am done with this window now, we needed a CB signed for the game tomorrow but no we will happily muddle our way until deadline
You're not though really are you? You must have twice as many posts in the transfer forum as the next highest.

De Ligt is slow, Tah is super fast and has more experience. He is by no means worse than De Ligt.

I doubt De Ligt will get any faster. Tah will still outpace him with 35. De Ligt isn’t made for Bayern and their high line.

Bayern wants to sell but they might wait a year. I still think United got better options.

De Ligt is excellent in a high line, as he showed at Ajax. True, his accelaration isn't top notch, but he is pretty quick after that I'd say.

Martinez’s pace will compensate for De Ligt’s lack of pace. I’m much more worried about Onana having declared that he will take more risks, which is the last thing defenders want to hear from their keeper. Onana needs to improve his concentration and anticipation and abandon all desire to take more risks.
I will assume this is a joke post.

I will assume this is a joke post.
Not sure there's too much wrong with what he's said there, is there? A keeper that was already dodgy last year saying he's going to take more risks this year can't exactly inspire the defence in front of him with confidence...

Not sure there's too much wrong with what he's said there, is there? A keeper that was already dodgy last year saying he's going to take more risks this year can't exactly inspire the defence in front of him with confidence...
Licha lacks pace and De Ligt isn't slow. I didn't read past to see the Onana bit after that..

When the alternatives are Evans, Maguire and Lindelof then yes you definitely should
Yep especially as two of them we would get rid of if there was any concrete interest that met our valuation i.e. Lindelof and Maguire

Better pure defender, not as good on the ball
You reckon? From what I've seen on De Ligt he's far better on the ball. I also read a stat that he had something like 6 dribbles into the final third per game (?) which is still very strong even for Bundasliga.

He always looks like he has far better conviction and is less ponderous than Maguire on the ball. He recycles quickly, dribbles out quickly and knows what he wants to do with the ball.

You reckon? From what I've seen on De Ligt he's far better on the ball. I also read a stat that he had something like 6 dribbles into the final third per game (?) which is still very strong even for Bundasliga.

He always looks like he has far better conviction and is less ponderous than Maguire on the ball. He recycles quickly, dribbles out quickly and knows what he wants to do with the ball.

Recovery pace is my only concern with him

He's not an upgrade on Maguire.
You keep posting the same drivel over and over when people have explained to you time and time again why he is better. At this point you're wumming and it's just tiresome. De Ligt is Bayern's best defender and was in Bundesliga Team of the Season along with the likes of Bellingham, Musiala, Frimpong, Schlotterbeck, Diaby and Kolo Muani while Maguire is a literal meme with 15 minute compilations of errors, mistakes, shit touches, laughable decision making and general clownery.

Recovery pace is my only concern with him
I think he's not bad with this either. Someone else can opine on it. I just know he's not slow on pace as Maguire is, and he's a lot more agile/quick on the half turn.

I think he's not bad with this either. Someone else can opine on it. I just know he's not slow on pace as Maguire is, and he's a lot more agile/quick on the half turn.

Won't have that concern if he partners Yoro, however that can't happen until November

I think he panics a bit more under pressure and is generally more “no nonsense” as a CB than Maguire who naturally is a bit more gifted as a passer. Maguires problem is always that he has McTominay syndrome in that he needs to see the forward pass be open for 5 seconds before he’s willing to play it instead of trusting his technique and firing it forward quickly.

So maybe De Ligt just ends up being a positive in that even if he’s not spraying the ball around, he circulates it quickly enough to our actual progressors. I always thought Varane was good about this too, he knew he wasn’t going to break lines but he kept it moving at a fast pace instead of slowing the tempo down for no reason.

I think he panics a bit more under pressure and is generally more “no nonsense” as a CB than Maguire who naturally is a bit more gifted as a passer. Maguires problem is always that he has McTominay syndrome in that he needs to see the forward pass be open for 5 seconds before he’s willing to play it instead of trusting his technique and firing it forward quickly.

So maybe De Ligt just ends up being a positive in that even if he’s not spraying the ball around, he circulates it quickly enough to our actual progressors. I always thought Varane was good about this too, he knew he wasn’t going to break lines but he kept it moving at a fast pace instead of slowing the tempo down for no reason.
Thats interesting. Maguire for me has too many moments of thumping it out wide for a throw in or taking 4 touches too many before releasing. But he sometimes has proactive moments too.

You keep posting the same drivel over and over when people have explained to you time and time again why he is better. At this point you're wumming and it's just tiresome. De Ligt is Bayern's best defender and was in Bundesliga Team of the Season along with the likes of Bellingham, Musiala, Frimpong, Schlotterbeck, Diaby and Kolo Muani while Maguire is a literal meme with 15 minute compilations of errors, mistakes, shit touches, laughable decision making and general clownery.
No I simply disagreed with a post directly responding to me saying that we must buy him because our other options are Maguire, Evans and Lindelof. Jog on.

Thats interesting. Maguire for me has too many moments of thumping it out wide for a throw in or taking 4 touches too many before releasing. But he sometimes has proactive moments too.
Yeah that’s kind of my point with the second part. A lot of his positive passing takes ages to occur. Maguire with Martinez’s mindset would probably be an excellent CB, but in general he’s always seemed timid/hesitant both in and out of possession and at his worst that tends to compound his lack of athleticism. Think it’s also why he thrives most in a lower block where he doesn’t have to commit/anticipate aggressively and instead can just react and defend the box aerially where he’s best. It’s not like there’s never been a CB that can defend high without elite pace.

Yep I find it funny that the biggest criticism thrown at Maguire is pace, and people convince themselves De Ligt is the answer.
There are plenty of criticisms thrown at Maguire. He had an absolute nasty of a season 2 years ago. Proper long youtube video clips of horror passes, decision making and all sorts.
And I stubbornly backed him for years and enjoyed his resurgence last season as first backup

Yep I find it funny that the biggest criticism thrown at Maguire is pace, and people convince themselves De Ligt is the answer.
I think MDL is a better footballer than Maguire and I hope we sign him and dispose of Lindelof, but yeah, Maguire is underrated/over criticised in general. I enjoyed his resurgence (of sorts) last season.

I think MDL is a better footballer than Maguire and I hope we sign him and dispose of Lindelof, but yeah, Maguire is underrated/over criticised in general. I enjoyed his resurgence (of sorts) last season.
Maguire is slower than MDL though, so it's a funny comparison he made.

Status
Not open for further replies.