David Ornstein: Man Utd want to keep Marcus Rashford | Consideration of sale if Rashford wants to take on a new challenge or a substantial bid arrives

I dont think Garnacho has shown the kind of ceiling that Rashford has, even so, I would rather have Garnacho in there than Rashford. Simply because even on an off day, Garnacho will atleast put in some effort, keep running at the defense and might still make something happen simply with all the effort he puts in. Rashford, on the other hand, is a complete liability when he has an off day and those off days seem to happen very often when he just isnt motivated.

The pass out wide to Garnacho from Rashford in the FA Cup final was a great example. He was up for it and so made the kind of pass I dont think Garnacho has in his locker. He was motivated and doing well mostly because it was the final. I dont need goals and assists from Rashford all the time, he could still be a great contributor even if he put in the effort and used his quality but I dont see how he gets to the point of doing that consistently. He is in his supposed prime and still is extremely patchy so I would rather us give that chance to Garnacho or even youngsters from the academy if we dont buy anyone. There is more upside in that than having Rashford in there who is never going to be a reliable quality player.

As though he's not a huge part of the environment :rolleyes:

I'd hazard a guess that he's the most influencial player dragging the overall team morale down. The sooner he is out the better.

My point I made 2-3 pages ago still stands.

None of you know anything about either his attitude, commitment, or defensive duties. There's 0 evidence about him not tracking back enough, or not giving a shit.

You just make up stuff because he doesn't track back at times when you armchair experts believe he should be tracking back. And you'll even go as far as to say he's a midtable player etc. And like another poster said a few pages ago, we have seen him bust a gut to win the ball back several times. And clips like the one vs Barkley are just blown out of proportion. You could find dozens of examples for every single player in the league where they do something like that.

The funniest thing is that it's really not difficult to comprehend that Rashford should be the furthest player up the pitch at all times when we are defending in our own half. If you want him to be helping his fullback at our own box at all times, then we are basically sabotaging ourselves by not having one of the most dangerous transition threats in world football as high up the pitch as possible for when we win the ball back.

Last edited:

None of you know anything about either his attitude, commitment, or defensive duties. There's 0 evidence about him not tracking back enough, or not giving a shit.

You just make up stuff because he doesn't track back at times when you armchair experts believe he should be tracking back. And you'll even go as far as to say he's a midtable player etc. And like another poster said a few pages ago, we have seen him bust a gut to win the ball back several times. And clips like the one vs Barkley are just blown out of proportion. You could find dozens of examples for every single player in the league where they do something like that.

The funniest thing is that it's really not difficult to comprehend that Rashford should be the furthest player up the pitch at all times when we are defending in our own half. If you want him to be helping his fullback at our own box at all times, then we are basically sabotaging ourselves by not having one of the most dangerous transition threats in world football as high up the pitch as possible for when we win the ball back.
The funny thing is, you know as much as everyone else!

And people who say he knows he has it easy at United and won't move are funny. He's one of the biggest scapegoats when things are not going well at United. He played through injury for so long under Ole that it very likely messed his body up permanently.

He could also go to PSG, earn at least as much as he does at United, if not more, win the league at a canter every season whilst being top scorer, get a better shot at the CL every season than he has had the chance to at United, and if things don't go well sometimes, he wouldn't get nearly as much attention and criticism as he does at United.

The funny thing is, you know as much as everyone else!

Yeah, but I'm aware that your best attacking players are often instructed to stay high up the pitch at all times, especially in transition heavy teams like we have been for a long time now. And also to conserve energy.

Do you think he has been regularly disobeying his managers' instructions and still remained one of the first names on the team sheet under all of ETH, Ole and Mourinho?

Rashford will come good. For me he was the victim this season of a system that asked far too much of him. And so he got exhausted and demoralised. Playing in front of a strong midfield with a better left full back will make a huge difference.

That said, he isn't much of a presser so he will have to learn, once the environment improves.

I share that general view but for a different reason. This is one example of injuries affecting the team and a key player massively, Rashford is an inside forward and nothing else, he couldn't hold the width to save his life and he relies heavily on decoy runners especially both inside and outside, outside the when he is on the ball so he can cut inside and either shoot or pass behind the defense(like he used to do with Martial) or inside when he is in the second post and ready to cut at the far post. He needs decoys because he is fairly unsophisticated, he doesn't use much dummy and counter runs, he has a good timing when someone else is involved but often can't create chances on his own.

So losing both Malacia and Shaw for most of the season is a big issue for him especially when for some reason the coaching staff only started to manufacture these kind of situations with Bruno or McTominay in late April.

https://tribuna.com/en/news/manutd-...hits-out-at-critics-for-branding-him-as-lazy/

Good read for people who believe that players don't care unless their body language shows it too

It's not a new concept, people are very strange when it comes to these things especially United fans because I'm almost sure that we all heard stories about how SAF would deal with it behind close doors. basically SAF did two things he would make sure to let fringe players or players that lost playing time that he valued their contribution and that their time would come, he would also change introduce them in the lineup seemingly randomly which is a good idea because it creates a sense of urgency, you need to be ready because you will be used and it won't be because the manager was forced to do it.

As an aside SAF did so many little things that on their own seem innocuous but when you think about issues that many managers and players have had in their career, you realize that he was just anticipating and dealing with issues before they become an hindrance.

Me, too.

I'd take $5 and a subway token.
:lol: pity you lost out in your bid to buy the club or you could’ve definitely shipped him to Paris
I think he'd do well in Paris provided he adapts to the culture. Luckily the French are big on sulking.
How much is a suitable offer? I said we should have cashed in on him after he scored 30 goals, but now he's worth close to half of what he was worth in that season.
I’d say United won’t wanna lose him for anything under £80m (just my guesstimate in fairness) and factoring in his circa £300k wage, I don’t see anyone coughing up anywhere near that. A move away from United might actually rejuvenate him.

Some of you are trying to create a narrative that isn't there, if Rashford put in the effort on the pitch no one would have an issue. Sometimes it's that simple. There are moments when Rashford tries, but they're just that, moments. For the most part he doesn't - he gives up on passes, he stops playing and waves to the ref when challenged, he doesn't always help his full back, doesn't bother contesting headers most times, and is usually the last to the press.

We've watched him for years, and his lax performances are clear for the world to see. I don't know what he does in training or behind closed doors, I don't know if he's a bad influence there or not. I only see what he does on the pitch, and no matter how much he says he cares, actions or the lack thereof speak louder than words.

He's one of our senior players and I know his actions on the pitch aren't what I'd want our younger players emulating.

Yeah, but I'm aware that your best attacking players are often instructed to stay high up the pitch at all times, especially in transition heavy teams like we have been for a long time now. And also to conserve energy.

Do you think he has been regularly disobeying his managers' instructions and still remained one of the first names on the team sheet under all of ETH, Ole and Mourinho?
No one really gets the leeway of “staying up top” and not putting in a defensive shift anymore, in fairness. Not even Messi or Ronaldo. That’s one of the reasons they are no longer playing in the top leagues/for the top teams.

I mean you watched him last season, it shouldn’t be that difficult to admit that his work rate (for whatever reason) was unacceptably poor.

No one really gets the leeway of “staying up top” and not putting in a defensive shift anymore, in fairness. Not even Messi or Ronaldo. That’s one of the reasons they are no longer playing in the top leagues/for the top teams.

I mean you watched him last season, it shouldn’t be that difficult to admit that his work rate (for whatever reason) was unacceptably poor.
There is zero evidence mate, apparently. Even if there is, still there is zero evidence.

He’s definitely conserving energy (the Forest one was as bad).

:lol: This is next level. Victim of the system. Will improve once the environment improves.:lol:

How many City and Arsenal players would be shite if asked to play in such a chaotic squad. I mean just look at Foden with England. I might be wrong but I think he's world class in a well organised team.

And people who say he knows he has it easy at United and won't move are funny. He's one of the biggest scapegoats when things are not going well at United. He played through injury for so long under Ole that it very likely messed his body up permanently.

He could also go to PSG, earn at least as much as he does at United, if not more, win the league at a canter every season whilst being top scorer, get a better shot at the CL every season than he has had the chance to at United, and if things don't go well sometimes, he wouldn't get nearly as much attention and criticism as he does at United.
Why are you replying to yourself?

His issue is that he’s useless if he’s not affecting the scoreline and even then he’s limited in the ways he can affect the scoreline.

So you have a player who’s not playing particularly good in possession, holding up the ball, heading, poor with his weaker foot, isn’t a playmaker and is terrible on the defensive side of the ball. All that he’s left with is pace in behind and finishing with some inconsistent dribbling.

We’ve seen the best of Rashford it’s only downhill from here in my opinion.

Rashford has been a victim of people putting him on a pedestal that his talent does not warrant and it got to his head. He is not worth anywhere near the money he's on and he's not someone you can build a team around. He's never had a good bottom level technically, even in his 30 goal season he had countless awful performances that were saved by a goal or assist. Apart from when he was just getting into the team, he doesn't consistently track back and contribute defensively by being a nuisance to opponents, which would have ironically been his bottom level contribution to the team had he been treated correctly according to his ability.

Rashford has been a victim of people putting him on a pedestal that his talent does not warrant and it got to his head. He is not worth anywhere near the money he's on and he's not someone you can build a team around. He's never had a good bottom level technically, even in his 30 goal season he had countless awful performances that were saved by a goal or assist. Apart from when he was just getting into the team, he doesn't consistently track back and contribute defensively by being a nuisance to opponents, which would have ironically been his bottom level contribution to the team had he been treated correctly according to his ability.
In other words, a stat padder?

can we not get Rashford to get a blood transfusion from Bruno, maybe just maybe, a bit of Bruno in him can turn him into a young Rashford again i.e. one that would chase after everything like a demented blood hound

Fully agree with this

In 22/23 Rashford scored 30 goals and made 10 assists in 57 games. That's not a fluke. In 20/21 he scored 21 goals and made 13 assists in 57 games. There's no denying that the talent is there.

Should we build a team around him? The answer is no.

a- From a tactical POV I was never comfortable with having teams being built around one player. There's a very valid reason why Eric Cantona and Ibra never won the CL and that's because everything was being funneled through them thus making such team predictable. Then there's of course other issues to take into account like poor form or injuries. Should a top club like United throw the season away because their focal player had picked a long term injury?

b- Such situation puts too much pressure on the player both on and off the pitch. That's a burden very few players can carry. I remember Batistuta complaining about how it took just few games of him not scoring for the knives to come out. Its pretty evident that Rashford can't carry such burden.

Regarding fans putting players on pedestal only to rip them apart if they fail, well, that's unfortunately a very English media thing to do (Beckham, Saka, Rashford etc) and something EPL clubs need to take account. Kids are set to make mistakes irrespective of how ridiculously talented they are. That's part of their development. Considering that issue I do wonder if it would be wiser to give young talent a gentler transition to first team. It might cost the club some pains during the early days but it certainly would add mileage and character on the players later on. Its a shame that the likes of Rooney and Owen pretty much ended their career in their early 30s

Regarding salary well its pretty much evident by now that we had been very poor on this matter. Hopefully INEOS can come in and ratify the issue.

It’s a fan forum.. you know.. for man united fans to talk about games and players and football in general, calling us armchair experts kinda defeats the object. It’s the whole point of a forum and it’s all about opinions… We watch every single minute of every game, we can have an opinion.

It’s also exactly what you are doing yourself.

It’s a fan forum.. you know.. for man united fans to talk about games and players and football in general, calling us armchair experts kinda defeats the object. It’s the whole point of a forum and it’s all about opinions… We watch every single minute of every game, we can have an opinion.

It’s also exactly what you are doing yourself.
I wish I had a pound for every time I have said the same. Some on here haven’t a clue how a forum works and if you disagree with them or they disagree with your pov then the name calling starts. I think there are a quite a few kids on here.

He has nice calming music in his pr video. Great for lowering the heartbeat; reducing stress. Block out the noise, the demanding (Dutch) voices. Breathe. Imagine a calm, flat ocean, with minor chords plinking softly.

Lots of talk on this forum about his desire and commitment. Lots of talk defending Rashfords desire and commitment because there are things us arm chair fans don’t know anything about. Ok fair enough

I can tell you what we do know about. His absolute shocking decision making throughout the game. Dribble, dribble, dribble…dispossessed. Dribble, dribble, dribble…shot from 30 yards. Lose possession. Don’t chase back. Avoid ariel challenges. Dribble, dribble, dribble…the pass is on. THE PASS IS ON….dispossessed.

This thread is wild. We have no evidence that he doesn’t work hard, yet I’ve just watched a season with my own eyes where he put in zero effort. Make it make sense.

:lol: pity you lost out in your bid to buy the club or you could’ve definitely shipped him to Paris

I’d say United won’t wanna lose him for anything under £80m (just my guesstimate in fairness) and factoring in his circa £300k wage, I don’t see anyone coughing up anywhere near that. A move away from United might actually rejuvenate him.
Hmm, yeah, I've been thinking along those lines. Regardless of who is 'responsible' for the ups and downs of his performance, it may well just be the right time to reset his career and take a completely different trajectory.

I didn't really believe the PSG stories, I felt like they were maybe generated by an agent but perhaps it might be for the best. Especially if he's showing signs of wear from playing through pain and injury.

I wish I had a pound for every time I have said the same. Some on here haven’t a clue how a forum works and if you disagree with them or they disagree with your pov then the name calling starts. I think there are a quite a few kids on here.

Exactly. Surely you got to have an opinion on a forum? Make it make sense.