David Ornstein: Man Utd want to keep Marcus Rashford | Consideration of sale if Rashford wants to take on a new challenge or a substantial bid arrives

Seems there's a degree of cherry picking here. Forgetting that rashford himself had by far his best spell 2 seasons ago under the current coaches, it also seems selective to say dalot mainly improved while away.
Rashford may have scored more goals in 22/23, but 19/20 was his best season. His all-round game was comfortably better that season.

Dalot is probably the only player who has really improved under ETH. Some of the others (like Maguire) became better than they were immediately before he took over, but still not as good as they had been in previous seasons. McTominay scored more goals, but his general play has actually gotten worse.

Last edited:
I've heard a couple of footballers say it. My younger brother is friends with a prem footballer (man City) and he was telling us how contracts have changed and work.

Said a lot of things but mainly, and this is my words not his, that a SAF/Clough type manager would not work now. Would be dismissed for bullying/harassment etc.

Player contracts are so large and such detail that often it's not money why clubs decide not to sign a player.

He specifically said that minutes played is a big issue in player contracts.
very interesting. maybe I am naive in never having considered this before but this would explain a lot. particularly with ETH but I can think of other examples of players who's status as starter baffled me.

Mainoo and Garnacho are a product of the youth coaching staff, which by all account has been good in recent years, neither have particularly improved since joining the first team, maybe they will but it's not something that I can state one way or the other. Rashford best season was largely an inconsistent one with a purple patch(between late December 22 and mid February 23) that wasn't based on his overall game improving which was the point made in that post, he hasn't improved, he can score goals when he is confident but his game is as limited as it was in 2015.

And there is nothing overnight about his development, as someone that has been very supportive of Rashford and accepting of his limitations. Rashford has been a limited wide striker(not winger or midfielder) for the best part of a decade, he can score goals in bunches but he is limited, his dribbling, movement, decision making and passing are as inconsitent as it gets, the only thing you can rely on him for, is to score goals if someone else creates regularly good chances, Rashford won't regularly create from himself, he isn't going to contribute to the build up and he isn't going to create often for others.

I think not crediting current senior coaches with integrating young players to the enormous step up to the premier league is quite harsh.

Just to clarify, I said that what happened overnight was his fall off. He returned from an excellent season, where the whole club looked to be improving and genuinely performed about as well as bebe did at times. Ive never seen such a dramatic decline from a player without age/injury accounting for it.

I think not crediting current senior coaches with integrating young players to the enormous step up to the premier league is quite harsh.

Just to clarify, I said that what happened overnight was his fall off. He returned from an excellent season, where the whole club looked to be improving and genuinely performed about as well as bebe did at times. Ive never seen such a dramatic decline from a player without age/injury accounting for it.

The point was about improvement, so no it's not harsh. Unless you think that Mainoo or Garnacho markedly improved, in which case your claim could make sense otherwise it doesn't.

The point was about improvement, so no it's not harsh. Unless you think that Mainoo or Garnacho markedly improved, in which case your claim could make sense otherwise it doesn't.

Of course they've improved, simply by virtue of performing well regularly at a much higher level. That aside, its very very obvious that both are improving as players in the first team - it seems crazy to me to pretend they're not, but of course you're entitled to your opinion

I think he’s been propped up to a status that he can’t handle by Glazers and Woodward. He has been seen as the star player for United and while that comes with the perks of being the face of a major club and collecting one of the best wage packets at the club, it also comes with the scrutiny on your performances and I don’t think he can handle that aspect. I don’t think he’s mentally tough enough to deal with it, especially when he’s regularly putting up a PR shield and enforcing media spin like he was a publicly elected government official.

Maguire’s taken a fecking battering from all sides similarly to Rashford and he’s come through it fairly okay. At no point did he brief a journalist to say he was training 25 hours a day and releasing indulgent media pieces about his early life. He just got on with it. Maguire’s got the right mentality to succeed from that aspect (his problem is he doesn’t particularly fit the playstyle).

It’s a combination of constant manager turnover ranging from LVG who saw something in him, Jose who I don’t think rated him too highly and Solskjaer who was infatuated with him, along with incompetence at board level with the Glazer/Woodward axis, employing yes men at senior official level who were their buddies like Arnold and Judge, giving him way too much too soon, and maybe more than he deserved, probably because they believed ‘United is all about promoting our young talent and this kid is going to be on the level of Giggs and Beckham so let’s give him the world now and make tons of money from the marketing’.

And when people are giving you the keys to the kingdom and you’re potentially surrounded by an entourage who don’t really challenge you, then you lose motivation and you stagnate. You’re just going through the motions much like he’s seemingly doing now.

I find him fascinating as I’ve never seen such a drastic and sudden performance drop in a player who played for United before, and I’ve watched Wayne Rooney and David de Gea slide into the dumper over the past decade.

Last edited:
Mainoo and Garnacho are a product of the youth coaching staff, which by all account has been good in recent years, neither have particularly improved since joining the first team, maybe they will but it's not something that I can state one way or the other. Rashford best season was largely an inconsistent one with a purple patch(between late December 22 and mid February 23) that wasn't based on his overall game improving which was the point made in that post, he hasn't improved, he can score goals when he is confident but his game is as limited as it was in 2015.

And there is nothing overnight about his development, as someone that has been very supportive of Rashford and accepting of his limitations. Rashford has been a limited wide striker(not winger or midfielder) for the best part of a decade, he can score goals in bunches but he is limited, his dribbling, movement, decision making and passing are as inconsitent as it gets, the only thing you can rely on him for, is to score goals if someone else creates regularly good chances, Rashford won't regularly create from himself, he isn't going to contribute to the build up and he isn't going to create often for others.

I actually hugely disagree that Garnacho hasn't improved since going into the first team. His ball striking, movement, and decision making have all gotten better since that first ETH season.

For the record I completely agree with your point about Rashford, just am disagreeing with the assumption that Garnacho hasn't improved.