Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Fighter

This tweet also mentions him defending his family/kids, although at first glance that seemed like a usual brawl he wanted to be part of. If his family was threatened or could have been harmed in any way, fair play to him. And feck the fans that did it.

That’s the same guy that mentioned Nunez reacting in response to a comment from his “significant other”. He seems extremely invested in justifying his behaviour.

Someone else said his family were all on the pitch at the time. He left them behind to go and get involved in a riot. You can see why his kids were upset.

Even if his family was getting harassed, as a professional, he shouldn't involve himself in it. That's what a professional doesn't do.

Give him a considerable ban.

But as a family man he should. But depends on whether the family was getting harassed or were safe by that point

This tweet also mentions him defending his family/kids, although at first glance that seemed like a usual brawl he wanted to be part of. If his family was threatened or could have been harmed in any way, fair play to him. And feck the fans that did it.

The woman shouting stuff at him while he's on the verge of tears looks to be his partner (From a quick google search). I wonder what on earth happened and what she's telling him.

Anyone with factual articles / stuff out there? The drama unfolds and the worst is to just assume stuff off Twitterclips in languages the main part here can't understand.

That's what the security staff is supposed to do, it looked like a few policemen were trying to maintain order.

If his family indeed was on the pitch during the fracas, ban him even more.
Who were not present / negligent / understaffed according to Giménez' comments.

I think what's likely is that some families (including Nunez') were caught in some distress by Colombian fans but got onto the pitch / to safety eventually, and when his wife told him that, he went ballistic.

Honestly it would be no great loss for Liverpool if he got banned.

But as a family man he should. But depends on whether the family was getting harassed or were safe by that point
You're sanctioning professionals to enter the stands everytime poor behavior occurs by opposing fans? That's quite the line to cross.

Having no kids personally probably makes me a tad cynical about the situation.

Who were not present / negligent / understaffed according to Giménez' comments.

I think what's likely is that some families (including Nunez') were caught in some distress by Colombian fans but got onto the pitch / to safety eventually, and when his wife told him that, he went ballistic.
Take a better peek, there were multiple police within the melee. They are as plain as day. I'll see if I can find the clip on YT again.

You can even see the police on the screen shot here...

You're sanctioning professionals to enter the stands everytime poor behavior occurs by opposing fans? That's quite the line to cross.

Having no kids personally probably makes me a tad cynical about the situation.

yep. it’s different when you have kids. when one of mine comes home from primary school, saying someone called him a poopy-head, i’m rushing straight into the classroom, swinging and kicking indiscriminately. it’s the only natural reaction.

Seems a bit convenient that there’s absolutely no proof of anything happening to his family when or before he goes into the crowd to fight them, with police around him.

Other than the Uruguay players’ word of course.

i’d bet a pound to a fiver that he doesn’t react like that if uruguay win 1-0.

The woman shouting stuff at him while he's on the verge of tears looks to be his partner (From a quick google search). I wonder what on earth happened and what she's telling him.

Anyone with factual articles / stuff out there? The drama unfolds and the worst is to just assume stuff off Twitterclips in languages the main part here can't understand.

Probably "What the feck were you doing, you fecking lunatic?!? It's your fault the kids are upset"

I thought Cantona was in the right when he did it tbh. There is a line fans shouldn't cross as well imo. Am fairly obvious am blinded by Cantona and his charachter, so there is that. But am definitely more lenient if his family was threatened in any way.

Him swinging at pretty much everyone isn't a good look though. Obviously a man likes to swing without hitting even outside the pitch.

i’d bet a pound to a fiver that he doesn’t react like that if uruguay win 1-0.

yeah, this as well

Bet he ends up getting a lengthy international ban which doesn’t extend to club football. Fortunately

" They weren't threatening us, Nunez. They were hugging us. You knocked out my grandfather"
I now dearly want his wife to call him Nunez. Abbey Clancy went up in my estimation when I learned she called Peter Crouch 'Crouchie'.

The fact he went back in probably means a ban.

Who knows how this federation will treat it though.

Maybe @antohan will know more details
Not really. The only things I know that are relevant are

1) that family members always take seats behind the dugout so there would have been a fair few of them, not just Nuñez' wife and kid

2) that people I know who were further up at the stadium thought the stewards were useless and had no idea how to deal with it properly (i.e. you nip it in the bud early, hit the right 4-5 people with batons if needs be and it's over before it starts). Even once all hell broke loose there you can see the stewards are in over their heads. It's a worry when we will have 48 countries at the next World Cup

3) that fans behave like idiots. Take the win, celebrate and move on, for the most part the players on the pitch seemed to be getting along fine prior to it. I include myself here, when Suárez scored his second off a Gerrard assist in São Paulo I started chanting "you are not singing any more" only to find 90% of those around me were English :o

Not really. The only things I know that are relevant are

1) that family members always take seats behind the dugout so there would have been a fair few of them, not just Nuñez' wife and kid

2) that people I know who were further up at the stadium thought the stewards were useless and had no idea how to deal with it properly (i.e. you nip it in the bud early, hit the right 4-5 people with batons if needs be and it's over before it starts). Even once all hell broke loose there you can see the stewards are in over their heads. It's a worry when we will have 48 countries at the next World Cup

3) that fans behave like idiots. Take the win, celebrate and move on, for the most part the players on the pitch seemed to be getting along fine prior to it. I include myself here, when Suárez scored his second off a Gerrard assist in São Paulo I started chanting "you are not singing any more" only to find 90% of those around me were English :o

Cheers. 3rd point is spot on unfortunately. I often think now how I wouldn't take my kids to such "event"/high risk games considering that you have zero influence on mass around you. Full on alcohol too.

He definitely went full berserk though. Here is him trying to hit opposition fans with a metal chair. Will get a lenghty ban most likely.

https://x.com/madrid_total2/status/1811234474413445246

A good approach is to assume that South American football fans deserve a clatter until proven otherwise. Well in, Darwin.

Earned my respect for dragging his family out of that shit. What a hero.

I respect him for doing that when there is some absolute scum trying to attack your friends and family (young children).

I'd be surprised if there are any posters on here who wouldn't try to protect their family in the same scenario.
From the videos it looks like he got charged up by Colombian taunts and from there on it went downhill.

I could see him getting a slap on the wrist if it was just the brawl but I don't see how he will get away from a lengthy ban for attempting to launch a chair into the crowd (combined with the brawl).

A good approach is to assume that South American football fans deserve a clatter until proven otherwise. Well in, Darwin.

Uruguayan fans were all brilliant in Brazil in 2014, from my experience. Only rate them second on good behaviour behind the Japanese (who cleaned the stands after the match ended). Worst by far were US fans.

Saw this on reddit.

At around 1 minute you can see a lady leave the area with a kid, this looks like might be Nunez' partner & child ( kid has a Nunez jersey on, same number and colour as the one he's holding in the pic) Then seems like he goes and enters the crowd in another area at around 6 mins.

Seems to me she wasn't there at all.

You can't call for more personality in the modern game then get riled up if a player wants to jump in and lay out a few fans. Let them have at it, top guy, our Darwin!