Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Fighter

say what you want about his ability as a footballer but I respect the guy if he was standing up for his family against that violent scum.

United players get a 9 month ban for this sort of thing.

I wonder what will happen here? An apology to Nunez for whatever set him off, and a red card for Casemiro?

See no issue with this. He will get banned, but i think it was worth it for him.

I would not bring the family to certain games if i was a footballer. This was one of them. South Americans are crazy sometimes.

Did they assume Colombia and Uruguay fans would just sit alongside each other like lame ducks, as what happens in NFL games? Might not be the worst that this happened so they can have a long hard look at what needs to be done regarding security in the upcoming World Cup.

As to the incident itself, hard to figure out the sequence of events, don't think Nunez attacked people because his family was in actual danger it seems, but rather some sort of retaliation because of what happened earlier. Not too smart if so, but I won't fault him either, if someone would attack my family or endanger them I'm not sure how I'd react, but what Nunez did is definitely in the range of outcomes.

Why has everyone decided he was defending his family? Looks like he just gets involved in a brawl for no reason.
Even if his family was getting harassed, as a professional, he shouldn't involve himself in it. That's what a professional doesn't do.

Give him a considerable ban.

Cantona got 9 months for one kick.

This prick hopped into the stands and was in there for a while throwing punches and he's very lucky he didn't cause a crush. He won't but he should get 2 years at least.

Should be a 20 point deduction for Liverpool for that behaviour, tack on another 20 for Steven Gerrard existing too.

Even if his family was getting harassed, as a professional, he shouldn't involve himself in it. That's what a professional doesn't do.

Give him a considerable ban.
So you can say for a fact that you'd just say "oh it's over now honey don't worry" and wouldn't do anything towards the people that just harrassed / attacked your wife and infant daughter?

Fair play then. I'd hope I could too but I'm not sure (and hope I never have to find out either).

If the version that the Uruguay players went in because Colombian fans were encroaching on their families is true, then I have sympathy for him.

Cantona got 9 months for one kick.

This prick hopped into the stands and was in there for a while throwing punches and he's very lucky he didn't cause a crush. He won't but he should get 2 years at least.

Cantona connected with his shot whereas as usual Nunez missed with all his strikes.

So you can say for a fact that you'd just say "oh it's over now honey don't worry" and wouldn't do anything towards the people that just harrassed / attacked your wife and infant daughter?

Fair play then. I'd hope I could too but I'm not sure (and hope I never have to find out either).

Again with the hypothetical justifications. Do we have any evidence that any of this happened? Because I just see a professional footballer wading into a scrap between two sets of opposing fans.

If the version that the Uruguay players went in because Colombian fans were encroaching on their families is true, then I have sympathy for him.
But it can't have been to stop the harrassment, his wife was already safely on the pitch when Nunez seems to get involved.

Not sure about the family of other players though.

But it can't have been to stop the harrassment, his wife was already safely on the pitch when Nunez seems to get involved.

Not sure about the family of other players though.

I see. I'm sure it'll all become apparent.

Again with the hypothetical justifications. Do we have any evidence that any of this happened? Because I just see a professional footballer wading into a scrap between two sets of opposing fans.
Not that I've seen myself but that's what all Uruguayan players have indicated. Gonna go out on a limb and trust that at least some of those comments are true, because no player would get involved in a scrap between fans just for fun.

And even if they indeed were, it doesn't justify a retaliation afterwards by Nunez like I already said. But I can understand him if that's really what happened.

Uruguay captain José María Giménez said the players were trying to defend their families, describing the situation in the crowd as a "disaster", Reuters reported.

He continued: "There was no police and we had to defend our families. This is the fault of two or three people who had a few too many drinks and don't know how to drink."

From the beeb. Suppose more will come out later.

This tweet also mentions him defending his family/kids, although at first glance that seemed like a usual brawl he wanted to be part of. If his family was threatened or could have been harmed in any way, fair play to him. And feck the fans that did it.

That's what the security staff is supposed to do, it looked like a few policemen were trying to maintain order.

If his family indeed was on the pitch during the fracas, ban him even more.

This tweet also mentions him defending his family/kids, although at first glance that seemed like a usual brawl he wanted to be part of. If his family was threatened or could have been harmed in any way, fair play to him. And feck the fans that did it.

I am confused however. In the video where he chooses to climb up, most of the fans have left (the Uruguay fans left appear to be the ones wanting to take it on with the Colombia fans). In this instance I am assuming his family have left the scene, and yet, he has still decided to go in and brawl.