Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Fighter

His family was on the pitch.

The fans didn't go onto the pitch, he left his family on the pitch and went into the crowd.

I would’ve thought if he really wanted to protect his family he would’ve went straight to them and actually protected them rather than going in swinging at any fan he could reach.

:lol::lol::lol:

Top quality bait, a tip of the hat

Apologies for not knowing his family wasn't in the stands. They only still remains that this is way different to what Cantona did. There was a brawl already going on, involving other Uruguayan players, what Cantona did was completely unprovoked.

But sure, it's a conspiracy against United.

Apologies for not knowing his family wasn't in the stands. They only still remains that this is way different to what Cantona did. There was a brawl already going on, involving other Uruguayan players, what Cantona did was completely unprovoked.

I think his original defence, and the complaint from the Uruguayan fans, was that they were rushed by the Columbian fans after the game and the police/security, who were supposed to be acting as a barrier, just let it happen. Nunez of course, being a man of the people, took to the crowd to fight them all and got knocked out.

This incident and the Cantona incident aren't comparable. Nunez was a hot-headed idiot that got embroiled in a post match argument and subsequent argy-bargy with fans. Cantona ran at a fan, during a live televised match, and kung-fu kicked them. Surely even the most ardent United fan wouldn't think that they are the same.

This incident and the Cantona incident aren't comparable. Nunez was a hot-headed idiot that got embroiled in a post match argument and subsequent argy-bargy with fans. Cantona ran at a fan, during a live televised match, and kung-fu kicked them. Surely even the most ardent United fan wouldn't think that they are the same.
This has got to be bait.

I agree, Cantona's was way better

Yeah, Cantona was not provoked at all, he just saw that guy there enjoying a quiet cup of tea, nice and peaceful and he just decided, he's a soft target, I'll jump at him and kick him for mo reason.

I hope you understand the difference between the Nunez incident and what Cantona did. Cantona went and attacked a fan completely unprovoked, Nunez went in because he felt his family was in physical danger from opposition fans.
His family were on the pitch when he went bezerk

I think the difference between Cantona and the Nunez situation, is the environment.
Cantona happened during the early years of a brand new era of English football, the post Hillsborough era.

I don’t think Cantona was punished much severely than an other player would’ve in a similar situation, there was not much to gain from this for the PL as a global brand.
Cantona was by a country mile the biggest star in the league at the time, he was the face of the league, there was no one even remotely close.

Nunez happened in the Copa America, its a different world over there, with different rules, written or unwritten.
And obviously, the Nunez thing didn’t happen during the match where all the spotlights were on him.

Great stuff, referring to a nazi hooligan as just a "fan", while making light of DN's actions. Top shelf.

Completely unprovoked?

Isn't the main difference between this and Cantona the competition in which it happened? If Nunez had brawled with fans during a PL game then we could be annoyed about him not being banned from playing for Liverpool. But he didn't, so...
Think it depends who dishes out the ban. Suarez bit Chiellini and was banned by FIFA from competing in any football activity for 4 months.

Only 5 games and not even global is ridiculous, he litterally dived in to the crowd and started throwing punched then after being taken back on to the pitch he picked up a seat and tried to throw in to the crowd and could have seriously hurt someone.

In what was is a 5 match ban for internationals a deterent? It isnt and it should have been at least a 1 year global ban.

What did the fan do that isn't different to what fans do in every single match? How did he provoke Cantona?
So does the fact that abuse is thrown at every football game make it ok and not count as provocation? Weird argument...

What did the fan do that isn't different to what fans do in every single match? How did he provoke Cantona?
Cantona just had the guts to do what most players dream of doing, at that moment he lost it and he was probably in the state of “IDGAF”.
Paying for a ticket to a football match doesn’t give you the right to berate players and act like a dickhead, I’m all for free speech, I’m also all for consequences when folks cross the line .
Cantona should’ve hit that bum harder.

Worked well for Cantona in the end, he became even a bigger superstar.
Worked well for United, we became even a bigger club with all the headlines and the weight of these news.

Cantona coming back from suspension, to score the penalty against Liverpool, then winning us the double with that goal in the FA Cup final has massive influence on how massive the club became during that time.

Losing a PL to Blackburn for all this was worth it, imo, everything turned out how it was supposed to be.