Gaming Cyberpunk 2077 (PC, PS4/5, Xbox One)

GameSpot gave Phantom Liberty a 10/10.

I'm very much tempted to jump in now I've wrapped up BG3. Deliberating whether its worth starting a new game, but I'm not one that's arsed with multiple playthroughs.

I've got so much time left on BG3 that I likely won't even start this til mid October. Probably even more shit fixed by then :drool:

Looks like CDPR delivered again. Very excited about it and just in time when I finish my 2nd BG3 playthrough :drool:

It worked fine on Next gen, but granted it was a shitty release.

But feature wise, specifically what was promised?

I remember a vibrant and full city being spoken of a lot. City was fecking dead when I played it. Shit would disappear when I turned around too.

It worked fine on Next gen, but granted it was a shitty release.

But feature wise, specifically what was promised?
The article above is a good start, but even then, I specifically remember them saying that the opening segment would be very different depending on the background you pick for V. That wasn't the case at all, I think maybe the opening 30 minutes might have been slightly different and then it was the exact same. I played it through at launch and I can tell you that there's no way that's the game that CDPR, the studio that made The Witcher 3, wanted to release.

If by delivered again you mean they finally gave us something close to the game we were initially promised almost 3 years later, then sure.

That's a gross exaggeration, I played it a year in and at that point it was already in a great state. The fact it took a year is of course still shite.

That's a gross exaggeration, I played it a year in and at that point it was already in a great state. The fact it took a year is of course still shite.
I don’t think it’s a gross exaggeration at all. CDPR basically promised us the biggest and best open world city ever in a game and what we got was a very, very, long way from that. Even now a lot of the reviews for Phantom Liberty say the city itself is still quite flat

I don’t think it’s a gross exaggeration at all. CDPR basically promised us the biggest and best open world city ever in a game and what we got was a very, very, long way from that. Even now a lot of the reviews for Phantom Liberty say the city itself is still quite flat

There's a difference between a broke game with huge functional gaps as was delivered day 1 and a game not living up to overhyped marketing bollocks. Plenty of top games still fail on the latter.

I get why those who played it at launch have a tainted view, it's probably hard to recover from that experience. Seems like for many though they waited and enjoyed a very good game.

There's a difference between a broke game with huge functional gaps as was delivered day 1 and a game not living up to overhyped marketing bollocks. Plenty of top games still fail on the latter.

I get why those who played it at launch have a tainted view, it's probably hard to recover from that experience. Seems like for many though they waited and enjoyed a very good game.

I have both. Tainted by my play at launch, got a refund. But I still trust they could make it good so now I’ll play it properly.

My refund was also the full amount and then I bought it for like £14 a year ago knowing I’d just update it when the time came.

The best trick CDPR played at launch was convincing everyone that it was only the bugs and the performance issues that were the problem. Even taking those away, the actual video game they released was nowhere near close to what they had promised. I don’t see how that can be argued. Almost 3 years later and they’re releasing a massive overhaul of the base game that actually delivers those things. 3 years!

plenty of video game companies deliver on the games they promise. It shouldn’t be acceptable to allow companies like CDPR to release cyberpunk in the state they did and not be tainted by it.

It's just my opinion, but for me Cyberpunk was an amazing game from the start. I've never played such an immersive and aesthetically beautiful game when it got released. I didn't care much about their promises, nor did I expect a new GTA because my focus was on these 2 points from the start. I just played the story and it was a fantastic experience for me. I understand everyone who had problems with this game, who was disappointed, because CDPR didn't keep many of their promises, but I only talk about my experience here. And if you only focused on the quests and not free roaming, you didn't even notice most of the bugs. Your rating depends on your setup (PC/new or old gen. console) and what expectations you had from the game.

I played it a month or two ago and it still felt as lifeless as it did on launch. It has the foundations and ability to be up there with The Witcher 3 and I really hope this expansion and update can provide that because as with a few others, I wasn't able to finish it due to the lack of enjoyment.

And if you only focused on the quests and not free roaming, you didn't even notice most of the bugs.
I mean, this is basically the whole problem with the game. Imagine saying that about a GTA game :lol: And CDPR promised a city on par with GTA, if not better.

The best trick CDPR played at launch was convincing everyone that it was only the bugs and the performance issues that were the problem. Even taking those away, the actual video game they released was nowhere near close to what they had promised. I don’t see how that can be argued. Almost 3 years later and they’re releasing a massive overhaul of the base game that actually delivers those things. 3 years!

plenty of video game companies deliver on the games they promise. It shouldn’t be acceptable to allow companies like CDPR to release cyberpunk in the state they did and not be tainted by it.
From what I read about the update and Phantom Liberty, I still don't think its the game we thought it was going to be.

Speaking for myself at least, I was expecting Night City to be more of an immersive playground, with more distractions and activities ala RDR2. All we got (and still are getting it seems) are the repetitive Ubisoft-esque gigs where we essentially play the same mission of rescue/kill someone or take out an entire area. They also promised the game would have a ton of 'verticality', but outside of the starting apartment complex which doesn't really harbour anything besides a few vendors and small quests, its still pretty lifeless.

Don't get me wrong the game really shines with its quest design, characters, dialogue and CDPR's customary storytelling, but the world itself still feels like a shell of what I thought we were getting. I was hoping to get lost in Night City, but all I ended up doing was running a checklist of repetitive tasks on the map, while speedrunning my attempt to bone Panam in between the core quests and story missions.

I'll still buy and play the expansion, but I'm hoping CDPR go balls to the walls with the next Witcher/Cyberpunk game. Heck even go down the Early Access route like Larian did with BG3 to actively gauge feedback if need be.

I mean, this is basically the whole problem with the game. Imagine saying that about a GTA game :lol: And CDPR promised a city on par with GTA, if not better.

I didn't read much of the marketing beforehand so it sounds like that department did a number on it, but CDPR releasing a GTA style game would be a big mistake for them and I would never have wanted or expected that. It wouldn't make the most of what they're good at which is focused engaging stories, RPG elements, good side missions and characters (exactly what W3 was fantastic at). I played Cyberpunk quite distanced from the marketing on day one and loved it for the aesthetics and story as it exactly what I want from that developer.

It helps that I was on PC judging by the bugs on consoles though so I'm sure there were a lot more issues for others.

I missed having a game as good as Gwent as a distraction mind.

I mean it’s actually better than GTA anyway (imo). Imagine saying GTA has characters or writing as good as this. Or that it’s an actual Rpg where you can role- play. The city is incredible - it just doesn’t have mindless filler ‘activities’.

We get it - you feel betrayed. But it’s a fantastic game now.

I mean it’s actually better than GTA anyway (imo). Imagine saying GTA has characters or writing as good as this. Or that it’s an actual Rpg where you can role- play. The city is incredible - it just doesn’t have mindless filler ‘activities’.

I'm assuming you've never heard of No Pixel and the like.

Am I not allowed to criticise it or something? Is that forbidden because you loved it?

I’m sure it’s really good now, I actually quite enjoyed it at launch too despite it being nowhere near as good as I’d expected it to be, but for what it was, it wasn’t bad. It just wasn’t anything close to as good as The Witcher 3 as an RPG, nor the sandbox they told us night city would be.

but the post I quoted said CDPR “delivered again” which makes it sound like they’d already delivered on this game, for me, by the sounds of this, it sounds like they’ve finally delivered something close to what I wanted, three years after I bought it :)

but the post I quoted said CDPR “delivered again” which makes it sound like they’d already delivered on this game

They delivered in general with the Witcher series. I didn't mean CP2077 specifically. With 2.0 and the new expansion from what I've seen and read about it, they're back on their usual level.

I didn't read much of the marketing beforehand so it sounds like that department did a number on it, but CDPR releasing a GTA style game would be a big mistake for them and I would never have wanted or expected that. It wouldn't make the most of what they're good at which is focused engaging stories, RPG elements, good side missions and characters (exactly what W3 was fantastic at). I played Cyberpunk quite distanced from the marketing on day one and loved it for the aesthetics and story as it exactly what I want from that developer.

It helps that I was on PC judging by the bugs on consoles though so I'm sure there were a lot more issues for others.

I missed having a game as good as Gwent as a distraction mind.

Whilst I'm not going to argue in here and incur the wrath of the rabid fanboys who are coming close to rivalling the k-pop fans for blind devotion, I will say Gwent is the single best gameplay design that they have ever come up with and actually made work.

As for this DLC, I am definitely giving it a go. I so badly want to love CP as it's right up my street. Hopefully this really is the real deal and they've learned how to add actual gameplay into their list of things they excel at.

Have to say it looks absolutely gorgeous in this video.

NVidia's DLSS 3.5 is debuting in the 2.0 update. I've got a friend who could only get sub 50 fps in Cyberpunk, and sometimes even lower than that when played at full pathtracing, but now DLSS update is Ai frame generation, so, it can go from as low as 20 fps to 90/100 fps almost immediately. Crazy stuff.

CDPR have delivered on this game as of about a year after release, imo. The launch was inexcusable of course, but it's been a great game for a long time now. Sounds like it's gotten even better.

I couldn't care less about GTA free roaming, but for those who do even that's there now. The GTA comparisons have always irked me - I don't want my immersive RPGs to devolve into "Press X to do thing" gameplay. I'd happily play launch CP2077 (on PC) over any GTA game.

CDPR have delivered on this game as of about a year after release, imo. The launch was inexcusable of course, but it's been a great game for a long time now. Sounds like it's gotten even better.

I couldn't care less about GTA free roaming, but for those who do even that's there now. The GTA comparisons have always irked me - I don't want my immersive RPGs to devolve into "Press X to do thing" gameplay. I'd happily play launch CP2077 (on PC) over any GTA game.
What do you mean?

What do you mean?

I've a roommate for example who was really disappointed in the lack of a wanted system, police chases, etc in the game up until this point, and he's far from the only person I've seen with that specific complaint. It seems like that deficiency is addressed by this 2.0 update.

Just got back onto Cyberpunk last night to prepare everything for the dlc. I was going to replay the game but I realised they still don't have New Game +. What the feck man. So after that, there's no way I'm replaying the game after all the work I did for my character. Rather just use the DLC with the new stuff they put in.

So, a cool thing. I used Sandevistan to kill this dude, but he used Sandevistan to counter my Sandevistan, so now we're fighting in normal speed again whilst everyone else is in super slo mo.

Nice attention to detail.