City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

Before Pep came in:

Robinho - £32.5 million
Santa Cruz - £18 million
Tevez - £25.5 million
Adebayor - £25 million
Balotelli - £24 million
Dzeko - £27 million
Aguero - £36 million
Negredo - £20 million
Jovetic - £22 million
Bony - £25 million

Raheem Sterling £50m

My point is that a points deduction, no matter how large, isn't actually relegating them directly. In that instance, I don't think the EFL have any real recourse to prevent them entering the Championship.

I do think the EFL (and the National League, Northern Premier League, etc.) would have an argument for rejecting their entry if the Premier League just outright disqualified them and expelled them from the league. In those circumstances they're effectively in limbo, and need to seek re-entry into the pyramid wherever they can. However, this is also not direct relegation.
If you’re being literal, yes, a deduction of 200 pts isn’t a relegation by itself. De facto, or practically speaking, it probably is. I guess that’s what most people will interpret it as, as well.

The literal definition of relegation from PL to EFL is unknown to me - it will depend on what is the wording in the contracts signed between the PL and the EFL about teams exiting the one league and entering the other. Whether that wording is different for a team punished with deduction or a team punished with expulsion isn’t known to me, though it seems quite possible.

This shouldn’t be part of the PL’s consideration, is my view. If a club has violated conditions necessary to be viewed unacceptable to participate in the PL for a time period, that should be the criterion, not what other leagues and organizations might do or not to for them if so. The PL needs to show it has an integrity as an organization that is above single members or outside interests, this is not done by catering to outside factors. A line must be drawn in the sand on this one, and the PL will be judged IMO opinion on their ability to do just that.

If you’re being literal, yes, a deduction of 200 pts isn’t a relegation by itself. De facto, or practically speaking, it probably is. I guess that’s what most people will interpret it as, as well.

The literal definition of relegation from PL to EFL is unknown to me - it will depend on what is the wording in the contracts signed between the PL and the EFL about teams exiting the one league and entering the other. Whether that wording is different for a team punished with deduction or a team punished with expulsion isn’t known to me, though it seems quite possible.

This shouldn’t be part of the PL’s consideration, is my view. If a club has violated conditions necessary to be viewed unacceptable to participate in the PL for a time period, that should be the criterion, not what other leagues and organizations might do or not to for them if so. The PL needs to show it has an integrity as an organization that is above single members or outside interests, this is not done by catering to outside factors. A line must be drawn in the sand on this one, and the PL will be judged IMO opinion on their ability to do just that.
A 200 point reduction would be stupid unless it was spread over multiple seasons. The maximum points if you win all 38 games is 114, so anything above that is the PL backing out of outright relegating them.

Absolutely agree though, this shouldn't be a factor in it, you don't let a murderer walk free because there's no jail cells available. While I'm no more familiar with the structure between the leagues than yourself, but the Italian league did it with Juve and AC Milan back in the 2000s. I don't imagine the EFL would turn Citeh down from entering though, there would be too much money involved.

That's basically what I was saying.

A points deduction that places them in the bottom three, while not direct relegation, would effectively relegate them, and I don't see how the EFL can argue against that. However, such a punishment wouldn't really be a big deal. Without multi-season disqualification, they're just going to come straight back up and continue as they were.

We could, in theory, see a punishment that immediately expels them from the league, rendering the results of all of their matches this season void. What happens after that isn't the concern of the Premier League.

I was basically saying that the PL can't directly place them in the Championship, as it's run by a different organisation.

If city get relegated because they finish bottom of the PL table (a not going to happen with points deduction) then they go down to the championship.
If they are expelled from the PL it’s completely different. Then the football league would have to either accept their application to join the league or not and where they would start would also have to be discussed.

These cnuts genuinely think they’ve done nothing wrong!
I've seen multiple on twitter and social media in general who actually think that.. it's actually baffling. They feel like FA or whoever are "out to get them" and that they are using "corrupt rules" against Shitty.

As much as we would all like a severe punishment to come their way i`m starting to think it will just be a fine with a minor points deduction.

It all comes back on the premier league for opening the door for state`s to run/own football clubs in the first place.

They are facing a state with limitless money (=power in society today).

The horse has bolted and it`s too late to turn back. They may as well just let City & Newcastle do as they please and fight it out for trophies.

Whatever happens in this hearing things are probably going to get really messy afterwards.

Kind of a City fan to list the reasons why City are absolutely fecked as the potential fall out if the PL loses is to big to risk some irrelevant league one stalwart getting away with it.

The increase to 130 charges is a disaster. A complete disaster.

The 115 FC brand is established. It's a re-branding nightmare. I don't know where we go from here.

As much as we would all like a severe punishment to come their way i`m starting to think it will just be a fine with a minor points deduction.

It all comes back on the premier league for opening the door for state`s to run/own football clubs in the first place.

They are facing a state with limitless money (=power in society today).

The horse has bolted and it`s too late to turn back. They may as well just let City & Newcastle do as they please and fight it out for trophies.

The issue is that, the PL after giving other clubs points deductions, they have to do something with City too. However; City hold a higher power than the other clubs, not just in football, as there is alot of influence that City owners have in the UK economy.

We have seen City wriggle out of the UEFA one, people will say its different etc but there is a precedent. I suspect they will get away with a 5/6 points deduction, which would be a compromise from both parties.

City will threaten legal action and PL will threaten nothing.

The increase to 130 charges is a disaster. A complete disaster.

The 115 FC brand is established. It's a re-branding nightmare. I don't know where we go from here.

As 115 FC dies in the flames, a phoenix rises from the ashes.

Behold!

130 FC

Have to admit, you can’t beat the ‘we are not guilty because it shouldn’t be a rule in the first place’ defense.

Isn't this a case of them being accused of breaking the rules that are in place? Rather than if those rules should be there in the first place?

I would imagine they will get a massive fine in relative terms, a point deduction which won’t really set them back and probably a transfer ban like Chelsea and that’ll be it. The rules will become more strict but the damage is already done. The PL needs city as crappy as that is

I would imagine they will get a massive fine in relative terms, a point deduction which won’t really set them back and probably a transfer ban like Chelsea and that’ll be it. The rules will become more strict but the damage is already done. The PL needs city as crappy as that is
Do they?! So Arsenal and Liverpool hoovering up titles instead is bad because….?

To be fair, they're used to being 'Massive'.

Give them a 350 points deduction hit that carries over until they have cleared it.

Even if they hit 100 points a season that is still 3 or 4 relegations and then its another 3 or so years at least before they get back into the Premier League.

Seems fair.

Give them a 350 points deduction hit that carries over until they have cleared it.

Even if they hit 100 points a season that is still 3 or 4 relegations and then its another 3 or so years at least before they get back into the Premier League.

Seems fair.

Would be better if they get a 350 points deduction that resets every season that they fail to reach 351 points of more.

You just know this will drag on for years…found guilty and they appeal…unless they take a serious punishment but for a way to redeem themselves to the league and the fans of the league they plead guilty.
I for one hope they have the book thrown at them but I want it done in a professional way, by the law of the game. The EPL if they are found guilty need to grow a pair and put the foot down. Ignore government threats and get that independent regulator in and fam and no more state ownership of clubs.
There is no appeal process for this, so they can't do that.

60 points would be interesting. Would give them a fighting chance of staying in the league. If the League actually do punish them, I think they'd lean towards something like 40-50 points, which is unprecedented, but wouldn't relegate them. If the level of cheating is true, its probably something city could live with, as theyd be back winning the league the following season, and may even be in the CL still if they win it this year.

60 points would be interesting. Would give them a fighting chance of staying in the league. If the League actually do punish them, I think they'd lean towards something like 40-50 points, which is unprecedented, but wouldn't relegate them. If the level of cheating is true, its probably something city could live with, as theyd be back winning the league the following season, and may even be in the CL still if they win it this year.
I'd prefer a multiyear punishment so that they cannot weasel themselves out of it. They need 4 or 5 years outside consistently European football so their attractiveness as a destination for players disappears.

Years of cheating only to get a punishment that realistically only bothered them for a year or two at most would be a total joke.
Yep. Dunno why people keep coming up with these scenarios that only punish them in the current year.

It's like for one race putting a ball and chain on a 100m runner who won all their races for the past decade on steroids. Oh no they lose one time but everything else is legitimized.

The one thing the PL does not need is city. United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea are where the vast majority of the PL's fanbase, especially global, are. Even if city are growing in popularity, their support is still miniscule compared to the other four. If it was one of those then you might have a point, but city aren't a very big draw to the league. If they are removed from the equation arsenal/liverpool would become the big draw (In terms of active quality) and the PL would not miss a beat.

These claims that they'll only get a 40, 50, or 60 point deduction are laughable, City are charged with 130 serious offences and each one they are found guilty of warrents its own punishment so they are hardly going to get off with a small points deduction that doesnt affect them if they are found guilty.

What I’m 100% sure there will be no retrospective action. They will keep all their titles.

I'd prefer a multiyear punishment so that they cannot weasel themselves out of it. They need 4 or 5 years outside consistently European football so their attractiveness as a destination for players disappears.

Yep. Dunno why people keep coming up with these scenarios that only punish them in the current year.

It's like for one race putting a ball and chain on a 100m runner who won all their races for the past decade on steroids. Oh no they lose one time but everything else is legitimized.

These claims that they'll only get a 40, 50, or 60 point deduction are laughable, City are charged with 130 serious offences and each one they are found guilty of warrents its own punishment so they are hardly going to get off with a small points deduction that doesnt affect them if they are found guilty.

I think you all might have more hope than me that theyll be charged at all. Im only trying to consider what might happen if the league wants to look strong while doing little.

I think you all might have more hope than me that theyll be charged at all. Im only trying to consider what might happen if the league wants to look strong while doing little.

They have already been charged and are now facing those charges at the hearing, what the leagues wants is actually irrelevant any punishment wont be decided by them it will be decided by the Independant Panel

Shouldn't credit also go to City's reorganizing of its football staff and recruiting side? Or only Pepe is deserving of the sudden change in player selection?

That said, I still hope they get binned out of the league.

Why?

They basically just took Barcelona's top staff in order to lay the groundwork to get Pep.

Hardly took a genius to make that decision, literally any club with bottomless pits of money could have done the same. It was like Chelsea taking Kenyon when Roman bought them, he basically took Utd's shopping list with him and threw all their money at it.

Oh it's not about hope, really. I've no idea what pressure the PL have behind the scenes and how likely they are to put that pressure on the independent panel.

It's just about what a right and just punishment would be. Anything other than something affecting their titles for each individual season they cheated is ludicrous imo. If you told Newcastle now they could win 7 PL's but be forced to have one single bad season either via pts deduction or relegation they'd bite your hand off. It needs to be a massive deterrence to anyone else and a message that you can't just brute force league titles with money and hope it goes away.

Years of cheating only to get a punishment that realistically only bothered them for a year or two at most would be a total joke.

Should be relative to number of years they get done for. For instance if they have 1 guilty charge in 2019 and 4 in 2023, it should be 2 years league ban.

If they only punish them for one season, the chains are off. It won’t happen.

They would have no legal recourse and every team with ambition would just ignore the rules, knowing that you can just brute force them when the time comes, and there would be a precedent for that.

If they want to avoid an independent regulator, that isn’t a viable solution for the PL.