City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

Do people not rate him or something? I thought he was meant to be an outstanding talent

Alvarez has world-class potential.....i can see that he will score 30-40 goals in all competitions for them.
Do people not rate him or something? I thought he was meant to be an outstanding talent

What exactly is he going to be world class at? What is he outstanding at? I'm baffled that people rate this kid so highly.
That's a very good question. Why is why I'm wondering why they are allowing the sale?

Because Alvarez wants more minutes, probably fancies living in Spain much more than Northern England too, and City are getting close to twice the real value of the player so it's a free fleecing opportunity.

Who are City replacing Alvarez with?
Nobody probably.
There is a bit of a log jam for minutes among their forwards.
Haaland has had a good rest this summer and has started the preseason looking back to his best of 2 seasons ago.
When he needs time out or gets an injury they'll probably revert to the false 9 that served them well before with any combination of Foden, Grealish, Doku, Bobb, Savinho, McAtee, Bernardo and KDB contributing.
Sorry to see Alvarez go but there's no defined role for him which is what he needs at this stage.
A couple of warnings for a buyer is his first touch is very heavy and he has been playing almost constantly for over 2 years now and it will tell on him eventually given his all action style of play.

He's just saying they are getting over 5 times what they paid for him.

I know that's what he's saying. He's reporting it that way most likely because that is how he received the information. I just don't understand why he can't just add it up and say 'at least £70m' instead of 5x £14.

Last edited:
What exactly is he going to be world class at? What is he outstanding at? I'm baffled that people rate this kid so highly.

Because Alvarez wants more minutes, probably fancies living in Spain much more than Northern England too, and City are getting close to twice the real value of the player so it's a free fleecing opportunity.
I meant who are they replacing him with? They must have an idea of a replacement to counterance a sale.

Haven't seen anything about city looking at new strikers anywhere

Nobody probably.
Haaland has had a good rest this summer and has started the preseason looking back to his best of 2 seasons ago.
When he needs time out or gets an injury they'll probably revert to the false 9 that served them well before with any combination of Foden, Grealish, Doku, Bobb, Savinho, McAtee, Bernardo and KDB contributing.
Sorry to see Alvarez go but there's no defined role for him which is what he needs at this stage.
A couple of warnings for a buyer is his first touch is very heavy and he has been playing almost constantly for over 2 years now and it will tell on him eventually given his all action style of play.
Personally I think that's a risk. But then again what do I know. Will be interesting to see if city go into the season and not replace him and still to the false 9 as you mentioned when haaland isn't playing.

I meant who are they replacing him with? They must have an idea of a replacement to counterance a sale.

We'll see. If they don't buy anyone, and Haaland gets injured or is rested, they'll probably just put Foden or someone else as false 9 and they'll still be the best team in the world tbh. Probably helps Sávio get more minutes as well since his best position seems to be the right wing, where Foden usually plays.

Nobody probably.
Thanks. In theory, losing Alvarez and not replacing him should give their rivals a bit of encouragement. Though of course, City have had great success in the past with a false 9, so perhaps his departure won't make much of a difference at all.

There’s a kid at Girona touted to be the next Shearer, apparently City got first dibs at £70m divided by 5

I know that's what he's saying. He's reporting it that way most likely because that is how he received the information. I just don't understand why he can't just add it up and say 'at least £70m' instead of 5x £14.
Because he/City choose to emphasize the fact that they will quintuple their investment on a bench player that ideally they would have prefered to keep. Most people know by now that 70m was the price they were asking for.

Isn't he just saying they are getting at least five times the 14m they paid for him?

Alvarez has world-class potential.....i can see that he will score 30-40 goals in all competitions for them.

Then why are City selling him? PL winning clubs don't generally get market value when off-loading players to smaller clubs, especially abroad. We'd struggle to get €40m in the same situation.

Then why are City selling him? PL winning clubs don't generally get market value when off-loading players to smaller clubs, especially abroad. We'd struggle to get €40m in the same situation.
Maybe they need money for the FFP breaches.

But i guess Alvarez wants to be the main striker in a top side because he is very good.

Apparently his family lives now in Madrid.

And 80 million is a fantastic price for a player.

Maybe they need money for the FFP breaches.

But i guess Alvarez wants to be the main striker in a top side because he is very good.

Apparently his family lives now in Madrid.

And 80 million is a fantastic price for a player.

Also, he’s hardly a cast off. He started over 40 times for City last season. Either way it’s a lot of money. He has the movement and finishing, but does he have the physicality to lead the line by himself? Not so sure.

Of course he is, but most posters can't be bothered reading stuff first, before posting shite.

The only thing I said was 5x £14m is an odd way to write about at transfer. If you think that's posting shite, then cool, but it was a fair enough observation to me.