City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

No. They will also get a 20 point deduction that will be reduced to 10.
Probably, but the same idea. It will be a whitewash. Relegate City and you lose Guardiola from the PL and piss off a nation state who do alot of business with this country nationally.

I don't see it.

Anything less than relegation and/or stripping of trophies won during those years would be a travesty. A monetary fine is literally meaningless to them.

Not even a transfer ban would mean anything unless it's something like transfer banned for 5 seasons or something.

Last edited:
I think they're fecked. Too much shit stuck to the wall for their not to be a severe punishment.

If they're not severely punished, it opens the door for a free-for-all.

I think they'll do a deal to get enough of a deduction to make sure they stay up this season, but not enough to relegate them (50 points). One season without CL football is a drop in the ocean for them.

At worse they’ll spend a season in the Championship and bounce right back up like Juventus. Thats the absolute worst case scenario for them. I doubt they are bothered.

Actually it's not. Firstly, the football league might choose to put them lower than the championship. Secondly, they could be banned from re-entering the prem for a number of seasons. The premier league is independent from the English football league (that was why it was created as a breakaway by the top clubs) - so even though they might win the championship, the PL can turn around and say "well tough they aren't coming back to our league" essentially.

They could also be stripped of titles for the years they were caught cheating, and have future bans on signing players. Much like Chelsea did.

Probably, but the same idea. It will be a whitewash. Relegate City and you lose Guardiola from the PL and piss off a nation state who do alot of business with this country nationally.

I don't see it.
Is Pep even that big of a draw? It's not the best metric to go on, but City aren't even in the top ten for yearly shirt sales across the world. Even Spurs are above them. I know some people follow managers instead of clubs but other than Amadeus I can't think of anyone else I've met who does that.

If we took out all the posts basically saying "they'll get away with it" we'd have about 3 pages on here wouldn't we.

Actually it's not. Firstly, the football league might choose to put them lower than the championship. Secondly, they could be banned from re-entering the prem for a number of seasons. The premier league is independent from the English football league (that was why it was created as a breakaway by the top clubs) - so even though they might win the championship, the PL can turn around and say "well tough they aren't coming back to our league" essentially.

They could also be stripped of titles for the years they were caught cheating, and have future bans on signing players. Much like Chelsea did.
Inevitable they'll have some sort of transfer window ban, as that's a very easy one to dish out.
But very easy for clubs to just go big in the window or 2 before hand as the bastad authorities always give notice.

I don't see City getting out of this easily, the league as demonstrated with Everton (making example out of them for a less severe breach) will have to do something substantial to deter other clubs from getting ideas.

A light punishment and the likes of Newcastle or even Chelsea could find creative ways to skirt the rules. 115 charges is of such significance that even relegation for one season is not substantial enough. If it's over finances than something like a transfer window ban over five seasons (ten windows) would suffice.

That's enough for the team to deplete in quality and likely guarantees the resignation of Pep. There has to be serious ramifications.

They simply can’t let them get away with it, the ramifications of doing so are far worse.
It'll be chaos if they do. Other clubs may start to take action themselves if they see the PL as being toothless.

If City somehow squirm their way out or it, I can see the big clubs threatening to leave for the Super League again, at a minimum.

It'll be chaos if they do. Other clubs may start to take action themselves if they see the PL as being toothless.

If City somehow squirm their way out or it, I can see the big clubs threatening to leave for the Super League again, at a minimum.

One hope so. But shouldn’t there have been any noise from these clubs by now? It seems that all PL clubs are just quietly accepting City’s antics.

That’s what they are calling City‘s end? One season in the championship? If that’s what they are aiming for, the final penalty will really be ridiculously soft.
demotion and stripped of titles would be adequate I feel.

As much as we all want severe immediate sporting punishment perhaps more important will be the longer term stipulations. City need to be hit with transfer bans, squad limitations and put be under season on season audit for a prolonged period of time

If you offered city 1 relegation now with no long term implications I imagine they'll snap your hand off

The stripping of the titles is an absolute must. Simply relegating them to the championship for a season will not suffice.
Correct. If it's ust a one time relegation it will easily have been worth it for City. They've established themselves as one of the top clubs in the world by cheating for several years in a row. That's not undone by 1 season in the Championship after which they will be back. If they are found guilty it would be one of the biggest scandals in football ever and the punishment has to reflect that.

Correct. If it's ust a one time relegation it will easily have been worth it for City. They've established themselves as one of the top clubs in the world by cheating for several years in a row. That's not undone by 1 season in the Championship after which they will be back. If they are found guilty it would be one of the biggest scandals in football ever and the punishment has to reflect that.
They would surely lose loads of their best players and take a huge revenue hit, and wouldn’t be able to manipulate the system to recover?

It has to be stripping of titles. Also relegation would just f up the Championship for a season. No need for their cheating to ruin yet another competition when there's an easy solution that'd only hit them. I'm not for re-awarding the titles either. The record books showing asterisks and 'trophy withheld due to Manchester City cheating' ad infinitum would ensure their much wanted place in football history was achieved.

They would surely lose loads of their best players and take a huge revenue hit, and wouldn’t be able to manipulate the system to recover?

Not really. The owners are basically a bottomless pit of money so they’ll still be paying the players a fortune and they’ll just say look, stay and do this one season in the Championship and we’ll bounce straight back up and be challenging for the Premier League again the following season. It’s only one year of no European football and i’m sure there will be a big fat bonus for every player involved in getting them back up as well. That’s why it’s so important they’re stripped of all titles as well, there needs to be real lasting damage from what they’ve done. If not then they’ll simply bounce back and pick up where they left off, adding more trophies on top of the ones they’ve already amassed through corrupt means. Instead of starting from scratch which they should rightly have to do.

Last edited:
Not really. The owners are basically a bottomless pit of money so they’ll still be paying the players a fortune and they’ll just say look, stay and do this one season in the Championship and we’ll bounce straight back up and be challenging for the Premier League again the following season. It’s only one year of no European football and i’m sure there will be a big fat bonus for every player involved in getting them back up as well.
Disagree. I feel many of their players would leave if they were relegated.

If they’re relegated is it not then up to the football league to accept them? I get when it’s a normal relegation things are straightforward, but we’re talking a completely different situation here.

Disagree. I feel many of their players would leave if they were relegated.

Some will probably leave of course but it’ll most likely be players like KDB who are at the tail end of their careers and would most likely be moving on soon anyway. I think the main core of their squad will remain and they will be very heavily incentivised to do so. I think it all depends on whether they can keep hold of Pep if shit hits the fan. If he jumps ship then I think there could possibly be a bit of an exodus, but if he remains I can see the bulk of their squad staying as well.

If they’re relegated is it not then up to the football league to accept them? I get when it’s a normal relegation things are straightforward, but we’re talking a completely different situation here.

Good point, it would feck up the league they land in as they would dominate it and come straight back up.

Would they? Look at what happened with Juventus in 06. Relegated to Serie B, won that with absolute ease of course earning promotion, and then straight back into the top 3 for two years in a row. Then they had two bad years where they placed 7th twice after which they went on a winning spree winning the title 9 (!) times in a row. So long term the relegation did feck all really.

Abu Dhabi FC aren't coming back. City may be back in a few years, but there's no way their current ownership will be allowed back in the PL.

City will get a very large fine and that will be the end of it.

We've punished them with an unprecedented fine!

They simply can’t let them get away with it, the ramifications of doing so are far worse.

Actually they can. They'll just find that there's only enough proof to charge them with some minor stuff that is just enough to save face, get a big fat fine and move along.

PL get richer, 'make a statement' to other clubs and City can say they're 'vindicated' too.

Disappointing to see there's s no mention at all of title/trophy stripping. While it says any sanction is open to the PL, all the quotes and comments talk about points deductions/relegation. Good to see the real City/Abu Dhabi shinning through in their counter claim though.

Disappointing to see there's s no mention at all of title/trophy stripping. While it says any sanction is open to the PL, all the quotes and comments talk about points deductions/relegation. Good to see the real City/Abu Dhabi shinning through in their counter claim though.
Whilst I agree, I think if they’re found guilty it’ll be pretty much the consensus that those titles don’t count anyway. Nobody will recognise them as legitimate, which is the next best thing.

The only way the Premier League can "relegate" Man City is with a points deduction, which would put them in one of the 3 relegation places. The Championship would accept them in this case.

Another thing about a points deduction is it solely benefits teams going for the title this season. So Utd finish second twice against a cheating City, Liverpool the same, Arsenal have multiple 2nd places but whoever has the standout season this year or next year is the only one that benefits? If you’ve battled with City for years and missed out on titles because of them and you just happen to be on a bit of a downturn, where’s the justice there?

City will get a very large fine and that will be the end of it.

I think so too. A record fine, in the region of 200m, which the PL will say will be distributed to the rest of the PL teams and I can guarantee you the majority of teams will back that decision.